12+

Frost Lark News 6/11/17

by sheysse

Frost Lark News 6/11/17

By Skyla Holt

“New Mayor”

Last week, Mayor Orlando Clayton was reported dead, killed by the Bivoclar Lizards. The town council hastily scrapped together a plan which would fix the damaged government system now devoid of a key member. It was decided that co-Mayor Reeds would replace Orlando Clayton as mayor, and that Erick Harvey would step in as Co-Mayor. Thankfully, Erick Harvey has served on the town council, as Co-Mayor, in the past.Yesterday, however, the plan was canceled, much to the surprise of the town. I myself had not been informed of the reason why until this morning, when I was told a startling fact, one that instantly gave way to relief. Mayor Clayton is not dead.

“Elderly Mister Finch”

I regret to inform you that yesterday, Elderly Mister Finch passed away, leaving our town forever. Finch is outlived by his one daughter, Alicia Finch, and two grandchildren, Frederick and Daisy Finch. Alicia decided not to hold a funeral for the 92-year resident of Frost Lark. When politely asked why, she said “Well, he won't be dead forever. Just give him a few days.” Upon elaboration, she commented “Seriously? No one's noticed he's already died twice before? Don't you remember that arson case a couple months ago? He's immortal!” Then she pulled the corpse of a baby bird out of her pocket and devoured it whole and uncooked. We still do not know the meaning of this, but we are working on deciphering it.

“The Wooden Synagogue”

Throughout Frost Lark, we have many synagogues, as would be expected from a mostly Jewish town. However, no synagogue sticks out as much as the Wooden Synagogue, a synagogue constructed hundreds of years ago. Many myths have surrounded this mysterious building, including the well-known story of the teens who disappeared within for unknown reasons, almost four years ago. However, detectives have finally solved the mystery of their disappearance, and next week their full report will be included within the article. This is huge, because it's the first time the police and the newspapers have collaborated, something which should have occurred long ago. Most towns already do it, I'm sure, so it's time Frost Lark catches up with the times.

ADVERTISEMENT SPACE

Are you out of Coke? Need some lame, secondary replacement which has the quality of Coke, but not the popularity? Then try Pepsi!

-Pepsi “We're out of Coke. Will Pepsi do?”®

ADVERTISEMENT SPACE

There is a fable, a fable of a domestic housecat. This cat chased a toy mouse all day, before eating and sleeping. Every free moment it had, it was chasing that toy mouse. Finally, a man asked it “Why do you chase this mouse every time you get a chance?” The cat looked him in the eye. It opened its mouth. It said:

“Meow.”

Cats can't talk, silly.

-Friskies

Survey Time.

What is your favorite fruit?

a) Apple

b) Pear

c) Steak

d) Advil®

e) I don't eat fruit, I'm a carnivore.

Frost Lark Health Tips

An apple a day keeps the doctor away! The reason for this phenomenon is unknown, but many suspect it is because doctors fear the scent of apples. If you want to stay safe from the preying eyes and sharpened claws of a doctor, have an apple!

“New Mayor” (continued)

It turns out that Mayor Clayton faked his death so that the Bivoclar Lizards would be blamed, and then they would be exterminated on charges of murder. I am a little hurt that I wasn't in on this plan. Mayor Clayton says they couldn't tell me because I would accidentally announce it through the newspaper, breaking the plan. He says I have a habit of putting everything in the articles, even classified things. To that I say nay! That's how news works! He also said not to share this message... Oh, wait. I guess I'll keep it, since editing this out would cost too much. Meh, economy.

Aley wrote a review...

Hey Sheyren!

First off I have to say that I think this is a really interesting way to write a book. I like the idea and your execution is pretty spectacular.

You do have some basic things wrong with how news is written however, and some grammatical errors. I'll go over the news thing first.

News articles are written in a reverse pyramid style which you may have noticed in the past if you read a lot of news. Basically journalists are taught to make a catchy title, then put the most shocking, big, important thing up top, and then gradually work their way down the chain of importance. For this reason, your article about the "New Mayor" is actually upside down compared to how a news article would be written. As a typical journalist, they would lead with the news that the mayor wasn't actually dead.

I'm also not sure what cost has to do with editing. In the end, not editing costs more because you waste space and space is money, so to have something in a rough draft is more costly than a final draft and it would behoove your journalist to know that.

Aside from these small things you have some typos.

"past.Yesterday" there needs to be a space.
Lastly, why do you capitalize Mayor in "co-Mayor" but not Co, and not Mayor on it's own? That looks awkward to me. I don't know if you're doing something grammatically that I don't know about, which is possible, or if you're just not thinking about it, but it seems to me like you should either not capitalize it in "co-Mayor" or you should capitalize Co and Mayor everywhere both separately and together.

So, all in all, I don't know enough about this story to tell you if it is breaking any taboos in reality, but I can tell you that journalists write in a reverse pyramid style and this is not that.
Hopefully that helps you in some way.

Aley

sheysse says...

Thanks for the review! Your information on the reverse pyramid was extremely helpful. :)

Danni88 says...

Another awesome Frost Lark story! I love the twist when Mayor Clayton is still alive. The bit when Alicia eats the corpse of the baby bird whole and uncooked is fantastic! I love these stories. This is such a brilliant idea!

Dracula wrote a review...

Me again!

in the past.Yesterday,
Lack of spaces.

Mayor Clayton is not dead.
So the only problem I have with this is that if this were a real newspaper, the headline would most certainly be MAYOR NOT DEAD or CLAYTON LIVES or something like that. It wouldn't be
NEW MAYOR. I know this is a story and you don't want to ruin the surprise though, so yeah... I don't know what to do.

He's immortal!” Then she pulled the corpse of a baby bird out of her pocket and devoured it whole and uncooked.
Your placement of that sentence was brilliant. XD What a loon.

My favourite fruit is banana, so I pick 'other'. :P

I loved the last bit, it was really funny. Well done on another Frost Lark! I don't know why I even keep reading this, but I love it.

sheysse says...

And *phew*!
You didn't reply to the last one, and I thought maybe you had lost interest. Glad to know you're still following. :)

Dracula says...

Oh, don't worry, I read it! I just didn't have time to comment.

Feltrix says...

Wasn't Mayor Clayton originally part of the Frost Lark Newspaper publisher/writer/imprisoners? Surely he understands the need to write everything that crosses his mind. Orange lollipops are a cure for reverse aging.

Also, are you saying that Mr. Finch is old because he's ninety-two?! He's younger than a mayfly! I'll have you know, sonny boy, that I predate you and your family by several millennium!

sheysse says...

Fair enough. ;)

We know what a person thinks not when he tells us what he thinks, but by his actions.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer