Just Another Melancholy Heartbreak Song

by MeherazulAzim16

Note: If you follow the link, you can listen to me (trying to) sing the song. I sound totally off tune at first but I think it gets a little better later. (Click/tap here for the link.)

And I looked into your eyes,
You knew me,
Like I knew you,
Like I knew you,
Times have been kind enough to bring us here for this day.

So, one step, two steps,
You’re closing in/and I’m burning out,
Why are you getting so petty,
So small,
So far away,
I think you’re not coming back.

Thought time was kind to us,
Thought you were coming back,
But there you go, again.

I looked into her eyes,
(Just another fairy tale),
She did not look back at me,
Maybe this isn’t dark at all?

So let’s make it dark,
She said I’m stalking her,
Threw the keys at me,
“I like stalkers.”
“What?”

What the hell was I (thinking)?
Thought you were far away,
And now you’re back,
Now you’re back in another dress,
Another face.

Oh, wait—
It’s somebody else,
It’s somebody else’s skin,
Oh but it seems just as awesome,
Oh I wonder why?

You were far away,
Gaining inch by inch,
I didn’t need you to come back,
You needed you to go away.

Just another airbrushed melancholy heartbreak song,
Just another melancholy heartbreak song
about how you ex was a b-i-itch.

Then again,
Oh I was at that party,
There’s no harm in saying ‘Hi,’
But she’s gone now,
But she’s gone now.

Why’d you show up at the party?
Not like we have any mutual friends in this room?
Why are you so far away?
Just when I thought I’d say hi?

Just another melancholy heartbreak song comes tuning in.

ScarlettFire wrote a review...

Hi there, MeherazulAzim16! Scar here to review your lyrics today. First off, I've noticed a lack of labels here. How do I know which part is a chorus and a refrain, etc? XD But other than that, let's see..... *clicks link so she can listen*

I must say, I like the title. XD And listening to you, I feel like this could be sung a little faster? But maybe that's just me. Anyway. Really liking the flow here, and I must say I love the structure you're using and the way it's been sung.

Just gonna list a few things I like;

And now you’re back,
Now you’re back in another dress,
Another face.

I agree with Jaybird here. I'm really digging this vibe here.

So, one step, two steps,
You’re closing in/and I’m burning out,
Why are you getting so petty,
So small,
So far away,
I think you’re not coming back.

I think this part is probably my favourite bit, to be honest.

You were far away,
Gaining inch by inch,
I didn’t need you to come back,
You needed you to go away.

Just another melancholy heartbreak song
about how you ex was a b-i-itch.

I like how you don't go for the usual "come back" stuff in heartbreak songs and instead go for the "go away" stuff. It's great, and it's different. I like it.

Then again,
Oh I was at that party,
There’s no harm in saying ‘Hi,’
But she’s gone now,
But she’s gone now.

Why’d you show up at the party?
Why are you so far away?
Just when I thought I’d say hi?

This gives me a kind of doubting oneself, wanting to speak to them and then, like, maybe self-sabotaging sort of feel? Like, the conflicting emotions comes through so well here. Great job!

Also, strong ending line here;

Overall, this was pretty good and I really like it. I still think it could be sung a bit faster! And it might be a good idea, just for the readers, to add in a little "Verse 1" and "Verse 2" or "Chorus", etc, just so we can follow it a bit easier because reading this, it's a little hard to tell where to break and stuff. Makes it easier for others to try their hand at singing it, too!

Thanks for a lovely little song! Keep it up and never stop writing!

~Scar.

Thanks for the review! Glad you liked it. The self-sabotaging internal conflict is definitely there, specially in the line %u2014 personally, may be my fave line here %u2014 'there's no harm in saying 'hi,' and then in being upset that she's gone, followed by frustration about 'why did you have to be there in the first place.' something like that i guess.

thanks and happy reviewing!

Mageheart wrote a review...

Hey there, @MeherazulAzim16! I'm here to review your work.

I love works that are self aware of what they are, so I knew I was going to enjoy your song when the title was referencing what kind of song it was. I'm unfortunately unable to listen to your recorded version right now, but I tried my best to imagine how someone might sing this work.

I don't really have any critiques of it. I think it matches the genre and the promise you gave with the title - it feels like a song about heartbreak. I love how you showed the singer's inability to move on with lines like the ones down below:

And now you’re back,
Now you’re back in another dress,
Another face.

It's a side of heartbreak I don't usually see covered in songs; most people don't comment on how the other people you meet can remind you of someone you knew before. Alternatively, the line can be interpreted as the singer's ex being a different person since they broke up. She's grown and changed, but feels just familiar enough for the singer to recognize her.

But, out of all of the parts of this song, it's one of the earlier sections that I like the most.

So, one step, two steps,
You’re closing in/and I’m burning out,
Why are you getting so petty,
So small,
So far away,
I think you’re not coming back.

I love the slight repetition with the steps, followed by what the singer is doing and what their song's subject is doing. The lines that follow are interesting as well, but it's the first two lines of that second stanza that really hooked me in.

Good job on this poem!

Thanks for the review! Loved the interpretations. It really was supposed to be a little silly, but also a little serious. Also just realized this may be your first review of review day! Go Clear Sky Protocol!

Mageheart says...

You're welcome! And it was. <3

soundofmind wrote a review...

Hey Meherazul! I'm here to review your song! :)

I think one of my favorite parts of this song is the introduction. There's a simple grace to the first verse and the last line:

It's poetic, it's lyrical, and I love the subtle wistful sadness of it.

I also really love the chords you use under the verses that start with:
"So, one step, two steps,"

"Then again,
Oh I was at that party,"

I think the reason I really like the chords you use there are because they move really well with the melody you're singing over it. I also like that the chords and picking pattern you use are similar here in these verses at the beginning and then at the end, and it helps tie the song together so it feels more cohesive.

As far as lyrics go, it seems like you haven't taken the traditional route of doing structured parts of a song - with verses, a chorus that repeats, and a bridge or tags thrown in there. Though... maybe you have and I just didn't pick up on it? Which could be my fault! But I think what makes it difficult to differentiate different "parts" of the song is the pacing. It's kind of hard to tell where there's a crescendo of the music - a rising in the emotion but also musically. There also doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency or repetition with the melodies you're singing which I think contributes to this.

Your melodies are not bad! I think it just feels like there's a lot going on lyrically and melodically. You've got a lot of cool ideas, but I wonder if you could streamline and simplify some of them to improve the flow and create more dynamics.

If you're looking for suggestions, I think this would be a good contender for a repeating chorus, especially since it includes the name of the song:
Just another melancholy heartbreak song
about how your (there should be an "r" here) ex was a b-i-itch.

As far as lyrics go, I think there are some parts of it that feel more like a song, but near the end, it feels a little more casual, almost like how you would talk conversationally, and it seems to lose a bit of the intentional structure that there seems to be in the beginning.

And now you’re back,
Now you’re back in another dress,
Another face.

Like this? Oh, I love this bit. But it feels so tonally and structurally different from:
Why’d you show up at the party?

I really like when you start to focus in on the idea of seeing your ex in other people. Same face, someone else's skin. I think it would be really cool if you had more a focus on it as a theme for the song - or a different one, if you feel inspired!

I really like a lot of your ideas in this and would love to see more from you as you continue to grow in songwriting! And as usual with reviews, do keep in mind a lot of this is influenced by my personal opinion and taste in music, but I do think in general, for starting out with songwriting, it's good to follow a structure first and get the basics down before you start experimenting! At the very least, it's a good learning experience and stretches you as a writer in a different way.

Anyways, hopefully some of this is helpful or is useful as a springboard for new ideas! If you have any questions feel free to ask! Thanks again for sharing and happy songwriting! :)
-sound

Thanks for the review, Sound!

Structurally, ya, the song could use some work. I was literally making the lyrics up as I was singing it in the recording. I wasn't thinking of structure at all but I knew I was gonna use these chords. Started with the most generic line I could think of and then it picked up a little pace. It was hugely improvised. I was in a really sad and self-loathing zone.

I do tend to get casual with the lyrics and specially with the singing. I see you liked the chords. I think Thom Yorke's recent style has had some effect on me. I've begun to care less about structure anyway. But yeah, ANIMA, for example, is a fairly experimental album. I do agree with your advice about mastering the structure down first, before I start experimenting.

I appreciate your insights! I'll let you know if I come up with anything new. If you ever feel like you wanna work together on something, or if you just wanna talk music, pm me. Hey, wait, I have one question. Do you have a specific favorite band/musician? Me, I tend to jump ships a lot. From Ed Sheeran to metal to Porter Robinson to post-hardcore. Radiohead seems to be the only more or less constant one.

Well, happy songwriting!

~MAS

soundofmind says...

Hmmm, I have lots of different artists I enjoy but I really like Zack Hemsey's instrumental/cinematic songs and his rap. For more chill and folksy stuff, I love all the songs Josh Garrels comes out with. They're maybe not big names, but they're easy to search! And Radiohead is good man, I like a lot of their later stuff!

It makes a lot more sense now hearing that this song was lyrically improvised haha, but still, good job! Music is a great way to find ways to express ourselves.

True that

Death is only the end if you assume the story is about you.
— Welcome to Night Vale