Tips for Taking Over Summer Camp Chapter 20: The Road to Camp is One Filled with Walking and Rocks

by HolographicLadybug

Chapter Twenty: The Road to Camp is One Filled with Walking and Rocks

I was frozen, but I didn’t want to run. Not this time. If I was going to see that weird bird here, then I was going to see it. I was pretty sure that it was all was connected to the rustling noise and maybe even the marks in the shed. So I stayed there, still and patient. But soon, waiting proved a challenge and I really wanted to keep moving.

The bright blue sky was starting to turn yellow in the distance. I realized with horror that the sun was setting and it was well beyond the time’s up mark.

Well, I thought, might as well keep on moving.

With that, I continued walking along the bank. I slipped on some slick patches of moss a few times, but managed to catch myself before sliding into the stream.

I observed the stream’s changes as I walked. Sometimes it widened and the waters swirled around, going all muddy from the messily carved walls. During mort of these parts, cattails would gracefully line the edges. Their long green stems refused to be swayed by the wind that had started. Their umber tufts looked sturdy, much like a piece of chocolate.

After the stream hit a sharp turn, I decided to abandon it in favour of climbing over a large pile of mostly pale grey rocks. I bounded between rocks, going towards the top in a zig-zag formation. However, I landed on an unsteady one and slid down, causing a tiny avalanche of rocks to tumble after me.

I ended up on the ground on my knees which were scraped as well as my thighs. Muttering under my breath to distract myself from the pain, I looked around for another option, but the hill of rock was too broad and there was no way I would get to go the direction I wanted otherwise.

So I got up and approached the pile again. I took a deep breath and secured a foothold on a glistening beige rock. I tested my weight against it and vaulted myself up. I did the same with another rock and another and another. Before I knew it, I was at the top, overlooking a grassy expanse which was dotted with trees with oval-shaped leaves. Solid-looking rocks beautifully dotted the area, giving it a serene look.

I glanced back at the stream and smiled sadly. I felt like I was leaving a friend behind in a way. It was unexplainable, but I had gone so long with that stream and I hated leaving it.

“If I could,” I whispered, “I would pick you up and take you with me.” I shook my head. “But maybe you’d be best there.” I shook my head again, more fiercely this time. “Why am I talking to a stream?”

Stifling a giggle, I looked back at the grassy area beyond the rock pile, knowing that I would regret what I was about to do.

I jumped from the rock pile and scrambled towards the river. Dipping my hand into the cool water, I pulled out a smooth stone. It was a grey-blue colour and shaped like a triangle, but with round edges. I put it into my pocket and turned back to the rocks.

~

The sky was becoming more of a tangerine colour as I weaved my way through the grassy part of the forest. The majority of my mind had forgotten already about finding Link and getting back to camp because I was enjoying myself. Everything was so calm here. The trees were placed wider apart and the grass was lush and prosperous. Tall stems of purple flowers grew near trees and rocks and thick birds’ nests could be seen from almost every tree. I found myself smiling whenever a bird sang its sweet evening song or when a fly buzzed past my ears.

I was at peace.

I did not want to leave.

But then there was also food and camp and the oncoming night.

The thought of those things stayed at the back of my mind like a lurking shadow. I ignored it, not wanting to spoil my mood.

There was an increase of bounce in my step that caused my wood piece of bounce across my chest giddily. Everything passed by me, tinted in the ever reddening light, making me wish that humans weren’t so afraid of nature and would actually go out exploring once in a while.

I sighed, knowing that there was no use changing people.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps and heavy panting coming from nearby. I was yanked out of my happy daze instantly and looked around wildly, my mind darting back to the strange marks in the shed and the weird bird calls.

But what I actually saw almost made me collapse with relief.

Bounding towards me from the expanse of trees was none other than—

“Link!”

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:41 pm
KaiRyu wrote a review...

Hello Ladybug that just so happens to be a holograph! ;) Been a long time since I wrote a review on one of your writings... Well I be back for another amazing review!!!! First off, I LOVE IT!!!!! It is so beautiful. What I especially like about it is how the main character, whatever her name is, found Link first, I think, even though she kept on doubting herself. I also love how much suspense you added to this wonderful piece of work, it really helped me to stay with you. I also love the setting, cause I love streams, streams are amazing... Anyway, if I keep this up I'll probably clog up this whole section thingy... So until next time, LadyRanicorn out!!!!!

Thank you! :)

KaiRyu says...

You be welcome.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:25 am
Rin321 wrote a review...

Hello again HolographicLadybug! CHRISSY321 here to review your latest chapter!

This was pretty short-thug you did end it well :)

Okay, so this was great chapter! The way you described all of these feelings that Molly has, her wanting to be there forever, really shows that she had a gentle nature side. I think that it was also funny where she did still have common sense about when it came to food, but decided to ignore it because she thought that it would ruin her good mood! XD Pretty funny!

The end of this chapter really does bring relief! You know she is lost, but I think it is better to be lost with a friend, and as the reader I am pretty sure that it is Link that she sees, or I could be wrong! Maybe you are saying that she calls out to another camper but think it is him, ad decide to go look for him more/ This could really be up to you! ;)

Overall I really enjoyed the detail and everything you put in this short chapter,so there is really nothing to bring up! Please post chapter 21 soon! Keep writing!
~Chrissy <3

Chapter 21 has been awesomely posted. But, as an evil person, I probably shouldn't tell you just so I can get ahead again. Gotta keep up my reputation, you know. :twisted:

Rin321 says...

:P

(Polite nudge) ;)

To have more, you have to become more. Don't wish it was easier - wish you were better. For things to change, you have to change, and for things to get better, you have to get better.
— Jim Rohn