z

Young Writers Society



If You Ask A Question...

by FireEyes


If you ask a question

no matter how hard it may be,

no matter how stupid,

or crazy it might seem

I will answer

~~~

If you come to meĀ 

with any inquiry

to the best of my ability

I will set your mind free.

I will answer

~~~

I might not have

the information on hand.

I will search out a solution

to the question you had planned.

I will answer

~~~

But if you continue

to treat me like

this all-knowing being,

you'd be looking for a fight

I might answer

~~~

I'd like to give answers

for cold hard questions.

If it's not that

my interest lessens.

I could answer

~~~

It all ends when you.

Can't use your brain.

For a simple task.

Then you make me insane.

I won't answer

~~~

But fellow if you come to me

with a lowly question

with a humble stance

and a curious expression...

I will surley answer


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 1285
Reviews: 76

Donate
Tue May 25, 2021 9:05 am
View Likes
Phillauthet wrote a review...



This is just one of those poems which takes your daily life and gives it to you in words. I love how you change this line :
'I will answer'
'I might answer'
'I could answer'
'I won't answer'
'I will surly answer' (Oh, and I think you meant 'surely' there, as surly sort of changes the meaning)

My favourite part of the entire piece is 'you'd be looking for a fight, I might answer.'

My only critiques are based on your word choice. Instead of 'cold hard questions', you could use something like 'solid questions'. And you might also consider changing 'with a lowly question'

Keep Writing!




User avatar
66 Reviews


Points: 4785
Reviews: 66

Donate
Mon May 24, 2021 4:09 pm
View Likes
aooborromeo wrote a review...



Hello! My name is Via and I'm here for a review. So... let's get started!

POSITIVES:

First and foremost, I love the theme of this poem. The mood and ideals of asking questions and getting the answers is just top notch. I love poetry that makes us think! Your poem makes the readers, including myself, really think about things. The poem is relatable, which is so good. That takes talent and skill. So good job on that!

Your utilization of repetition is top notch. The use of the word "answer" and the changes of the line that repeats it, is just lovely. Your rhyme scheme as well for the most part is consistent. While I'm all for inconsistencies in rhyming, here the structure is useful and necessary. Then you kept a constant five line per stanza, which I loved. It added a more built aspect that I liked.

Your choice diction is good as well. I like how you didn't use intricate vocabulary because it makes the poem more straight forward, which for a theme like this is needed.

Your poem's mood and theme is well addressed and thought out. It's very clear and concise, to the point, which is good. The simplistic quality adds depth and makes the poem and easy and relatable read.

Overall, your lines flow well, which is impressive for someone so young. Often times rhythm is something many poets in general, including myself, especially young poets struggle with. You have used it masterfully here. Great job! You should be very proud.

My favorite line in particular is

But if you continue

To treat me like

This all-knowing being

You'd be looking for a fight

I might answer


CRITIQUES:
Most of my critiques are just minor fixes or common for young poets. Just take them with a grain of salt, they're only suggestions.

First of all, auto capitalization is the bane of all poets, even myself. Lines that are a part of same sentence don't need to all be capitalized. Fixing that will make the poem better grammatically.

Like what @MapleWay suggested, punctuation will enhance the flow of the poem and set a better tone. Some poets forgo punctuation to add layers, but here commas and periods will add emphasis to your poem and help the flow go better.

Your poem's small images aren't as well developed as they could be. While I loved the narration aspect of your poem, a metaphor or well developed image or two could be a nice addition. Just be careful not to overcrowd the poem and keep the structure consistent.

Overall, great poem! I enjoyed reading it. You're very talented! Keep writing! :)




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 294
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sat May 22, 2021 1:45 pm
tautik1234 wrote a review...



Hello! This is the first time I'm writing a review!

I love your poem. The repetition of "I will answer" and changing of the "will" in the sentence for different situations, I love it. And the rhyming is also nice. Overall, it's a good poem about a guy who answers everyone who comes for him with a question.




User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 193
Reviews: 49

Donate
Fri May 21, 2021 9:44 pm
View Likes
TheWordsOfWolf wrote a review...



Hi, hello, greetings, salutations, good morning, good afternoon, good evening, and good night as well as many other pleasant things that I do not have time for as I am here to review this for you! Anyway, Wolf here.
This is a very well written poem. Your use of rhyme and imagery is very well thought out.
the rhythm is even, and the lines flow well. The poem also speaks to me personally as well as brings to mind several characters I know of.
Good work, and keep writing I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.




User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 18
Reviews: 93

Donate
Fri May 21, 2021 7:31 pm
View Likes
MapleWay wrote a review...



Hey there! MapleWay here dropping by with a review! (And thanks for the tag!)

This was a great poem! I really enjoyed the repetition you used as well! It added so much to the poem as a whole! And the way you began running through certain circumstances, in the end, was perfect! There is really only one thing I would recommend doing. Using punctuation to set a tone. You totally don't have to do this but I think it would add a lot if you added it in order to create pauses and make a more distinct tone. And once again feel free to ignore this! It's just a suggestion!

Anyways once again great poem! Thanks for tagging me!

- MapleWay




FireEyes says...


Yeah np Maple!



User avatar
185 Reviews


Points: 13187
Reviews: 185

Donate


Only the suppressed word is dangerous.
— Ludwig Borne