The Hunger Games Fan Poem

by EmilieHaugaard

Finally the riot is here,
the fire is catching everywhere.
Hold your children tight,
the city will burn tonight!

Have you ever seen anything alike?
The flames are dancing before our eyes.
The ashes will bury the sins,
now let the Games begin!

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmyjake to write you a review on Review day! The West Side Writers are trying hard to catch up!

So I love hunger games. The series is probably my favorite to read, hands down. This is a great poem that I think, like the other reviewers, would make a great song if you wanted to!

I have a few nitpicks, but only a few! :)

So on the first stanza, I only noticed one thing that I didn't quite "get"

the city will burn tonight!

In Hunger Games, aren't there districts, and then the Capitol? No cities to speak of? I think it would make it more hungergamish if you made it district instead of "city"

The ashes will bury the sins,

I think that "their" or "our" would look better than "the" and flow better.

This was really good! Short and too the point, but with a lot of meaning to it! Happy writing!
~Timmyjake

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:40 pm
aidanp wrote a review...

I know this has already been said to you before but I would love to see you extend this into a song perhaps. I'm a huge fan of the hunger games and this short piece captures the whole mood of the games in general and how people view Katniss and Petta. My only negative point is that is is a bit short so i would love to see you add more to it but overall i really liked it

Thank you, I will consider it :D

Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:18 am
messyandlefthanded wrote a review...

I think that one of the hardest things for poets to do is to reflect a already made piece of art, in this case a novel, and a movie, through their work. This is because there's so much you could say, especially with the complex story line that the hunger games has, however you managed to do it perfectly without rambling, or without giving away too much. Short yet so reflective of the movie and its storyline the use of the strong imagery in your words, the riot, and the city burning not only demonstrates the horrific nature of the games, but allows us as readers to picture it, to see the brutality of the games in their own imagination. You did this especially well by including the children being unsafe, needing to be held. You also managed to contrast this by writing of the notion of hope, the burial of sins and the idea of the revolution, the hope, something new, which is so reflective of the games. I loved the movie, and I love your poem,
Well done!

~ Messyandlefthanded

Thank you :)

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:30 am
Cheetah says...

I really liked this! You captured the essence of the Games perfectly. I actually think this would make a really good song, if you were to do so.

Keep up the good work!
~Cheetah

Thanks! :)

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:15 pm
Ciblio wrote a review...

This. I like this.
It's short, yes. But it's energetic, and it tells you exactly what it's story is behind it.
You wrote this, yes? Well, kudos to you, then.
You were very, very successful with creating this poem that told you about the games.
And it was easy to tell that the poem was about the Hunger Games.
I'd just like to say that I think you did a good job in creating a poem that tells you how dangerous, exotic, and heart-breaking the Games actually are.
It's not just the fact that you added the right words, it's the fact that even though some words don't feel like they belong to some people, but when others read it, whom have wider imaginations, they can see exactly what your poem says.
They, we, can visualize all the brutal crimes children do to each other, just to stay alive.
Good job!

Thank you :D

Ciblio says...

You're quite welcome.

I say, in matters of the heart, treat yo' self.
— Donna, Parks & Rec