z

Young Writers Society



The Funny Egg Poem

by Dossereana


I am an Egg with a cracked head,

With a slimy old sled,

I wobble and jig until boom I fall to the floor and bang my head,

I sleep from morning till noon,

But when I wake up I fall out of bed and crack my head open,

I then lie there for a while,

As my oozy insides spread all over the place like water,

I do not know what to do with myself,

For my brain is being joggled and jiggled,

But I will soon be back together again,

do not worry.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
453 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 453

Donate
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:37 pm
Lib wrote a review...



Hi EagleFly!

Liberty500 is here to drop of a review! :wink:

This poem really humored me! My sisters enjoyed it too.

Onto the review.

1. In the beginning you wrote "I am an Egg with a cracked head." Is the word "Egg" supposed to be capitalized?

2. In the second line you wrote "With a slimy old sled," what is the sled for? you didn't mention anything about a sled in the next few sentences.

3. In the third line you wrote "wobble" then you wrote "jig". It'd sound better if you changed "jig" into "jiggle".

And, I agree very much with Danni88 and riles about changing the third line to:

"I wobble and jig until, boom!
I fall to the floor and bang my head,"

Overall, this was awesome!

Keep on writing! :)

~Liberty500




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:04 pm
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



Hi! I saw you tag me to review this a while back and have finally got some time so here I am :)

Specifics

1. Why is the sled slimy? Is it because some of the yolk from the egg's head is dripping onto the sled? That would be kind of funny to picture and may add to the kind of silliness feel to this poem.

2. I think boom is the wrong word! Eggs don't make a boom when they land on the floor because they're kind of not solid enough. It tends to be more of a splat or at the best a kind of crunch as the shell breaks the impact.

Overall

Okay so I like nonsense poems and this is fun but I think you could do more with it. I want to know who is putting the egg back together - after it bumps its head does someone help it back to bed? And also, what's their story? Why do they have a sled? Were they trying to deliver the post or going for a ride down a snowy hill?

I think if you're going to add a little detail like that - and it's fun - then you should bring more of the story in. You should tell us the egg's adventures - what their hopes and dreams are and show us how they intend to pursue them even though they are only a poor, fragile egg who should really have much safer aspirations like staying at home with a good book.

Thanks for the fun read and I hope this may give you a few ideas for this poem or future eggsperiments!

~Heather




Dossereana says...


thank you for the review I will go and see what I can do when I can.



User avatar
104 Reviews


Points: 4417
Reviews: 104

Donate
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:01 am
View Likes
Danni88 wrote a review...



Hey there! D here to review this poem!

As @riles said, I think it would be really good if line 3 was written as

I wobble and jig until boom!
I fall to the floor and bang my head,


Nitpicks over! :D

I love this! It was really funny. Like @Traves, I prefer funny poems to soppy ones.

I love the way you describe the egg's insides oozing out and the way it doesn't worry, for it will be back together again.

This was so humorous! Keep on writing!

Danni x




Dossereana says...


Thank you for the Review. :D



Danni88 says...


No probs :D



User avatar
66 Reviews


Points: 400
Reviews: 66

Donate
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:36 am
View Likes
Starve wrote a review...



Hey EagleFly!

I love humour in all its forms . I am one of those who wishes there were many more humourous poems in the world than sad lovey-dovey ones!

The main way to judge such a poem should be whether it made people smile or laugh and this simple poem managed to make me smile (which is a very tough job to do intentionally, believe me).

As such, I have no critiques, just how I would have written it differently, so feel free to discard any and all words that follow.

1. The title - I like the straight up in-your-face title that has "funny" in it; this establishes it as self-aware deadpan poetry (and humour) in my opinion.

2. Rhyme scheme - the first three lines have the same end sound, and it would have helped to maintain the flow if there had been more rhyming in the poem, like this modification

"I am an Egg with a cracked head,

With a slimy old sled,

I wobble and jig until boom I fall to the floor and bang my head,

I sleep from morning till noon,

I wake up to see my head is cracked open by a spoon

I then lie there but soon ..."

this is just a suggestion, rhyming often helps to make the joke better in my experience

3.This part is mostly flawless

"As my oozy insides spread all over the place like water,

I do not know what to do with myself,

For my brain is being joggled and jiggled,

But I will soon be back together again,"

but you could remove " back" or "together" and the last sentence would still make sense. the joggled and jiggled ar fine because of alliteration and maintaining similar line size. The first of these lines could be "As my oozy insides spread/flowed all over the place" because egg yolk is visibly more viscous than water.

4. Talking about the overall narrative, I feel like this egg is first cracked open and then it's head is all over the floor (i.e. the frying pan), about to be turned into an omelette or similar dish ("But I will soon be back together again,"), which is a smart way to look at a mundane task, from the egg's perspective. Do let me know if I interpreted it wrongly.

I should end this here, because there's not much to add. A good, short read.

Keep writing funny stuff because not a lot of people do!




Dossereana says...


thank you Traves for this review. :D



User avatar
616 Reviews


Points: 122617
Reviews: 616

Donate
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 am
View Likes
FlamingPhoenix says...



Hi @Tsunami here. I really liked this poem. It made me laugh. I hope you come out with more funny poems like this one.

I liked the way you you describe the egg, and it's insides. It almost made me fall off my chair. So keep up the good work and never stop writing.

Love @Tsunami.




Dossereana says...


Thank you for this Tsunami. D





Your welcome. i hope you keep on writing.



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 51
Reviews: 9

Donate
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:24 am
View Likes
riles wrote a review...



Hi EagleFly!

I wanted to start off by saying that I absolutely loved your poem! It’s not too often I read humorous poetry so I really enjoyed this.

Some lines I particularly enjoyed were:

“As my oozy insides spread all over the place like water”
“I am an Egg with a cracked head,
With a slimy old sled”

Those were some great lines! I have a few small critiques and thoughts I’d like to share.

On the line,
“I wobble and jiggle until boom I fall to the floor and bang my head.”
I think it would be a good idea to add some punctuation or a line break. Perhaps, you could praise it like this-
‘I wobble and jiggle until boom!
I fall to the floor and bang my head’
It would just add a little more emphasis on boom to enhance the story.

The other thing I would like to mention is kind of a broad, context idea. In the beginning, you mention a sled but then that doesn’t really come up again explicitly in the poem. I was a little confused there, so you could consider thinking about that if you wish.

Again, I really had a great time reading your poem. I think you could have a real future wiring children’s books, and I mean tbat in the highest compliment. I hope you’re having a great day, and keep writing!




Dossereana says...


Thank you for this. and I will go and think about those things. :D



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 1798
Reviews: 30

Donate
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:12 am
View Likes
WritingPrincess says...



I really liked reading this! It made my day.

I like the way you described the egg, and how it’s falls out of bed and cracks it’s head open, and I loved how you used all sorts of amazing metaphors. They were brilliant.

I think this poem will make everyone’s day better. Keep writing!




Dossereana says...


Thank you so much. :D




The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
— Marcel Proust