z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Boy Who hated Lefties

by DrFeelGood


There was once a boy who was proud of being a righty. 
We dominate the world, we represent the mighty.

“Lefties represent weakness, they are unnatural,” he declared.
Being a southpaw is an illness, their rights should be debarred.

We all are righties by birth, nobody is lefty by choice,
Accept this problem and move on, instead of raising your voice.

His prejudice got shattered when he discovered a lefty friend,
This poor guy had suffered for supporting an immoral trend!

It’s illegal by law, it’s against every religion,
Living in peace and harmony is kind of a delusion.

He read many articles, he discovered scientific proofs,
The tall claims he had once made were full of logical goofs!

By now the boy had realized that lefties were actually right,
The problem was ignorance, which had stirred this baseless fight.

The nature in itself isn't always right.
Knowledge and humility is the solution for this plight.

Kindness and goodness will end this war one day.
The world will cheer for them and the lefties would be gay!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
113 Reviews


Points: 181
Reviews: 113

Donate
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:01 pm
Bellarke says...



"His prejudice got shattered when he discovered a lefty friend,
This poor guy had suffered for supporting an immoral trend!

It’s illegal by law, it’s against every religion,
Living in peace and harmony is kind of a delusion.

He read many articles, he discovered scientific proofs,
The tall claims he had once made were full of logical goofs!

By now the boy had realized that lefties were actually right,
The problem was ignorance, which had stirred this baseless fight.

The nature in itself isn't always right.
Knowledge and humility is the solution for this plight.

Kindness and goodness will end this war one day.
The world will cheer for them and the lefties would be gay!"

Wow!. It is good I read it because the title was like that and i am a leftie, but it is amazing. Are you a left handed writer?




User avatar
52 Reviews


Points: 1689
Reviews: 52

Donate
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:59 pm



Really old work, but hey, I'll give my comment on it...

I actually took it as a left vs. right political message, rather than a question of left-handedness. Didn't realize it was about actual left-handed people until after I read the comments and reviews.

Funny, eh...? But yes, pretty much what others have said. Needs stricter meter, I don't entirely agree with the message at HAND (clever...), but there you go.




User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 4517
Reviews: 55

Donate
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 am
View Likes
DarshayataDeka says...



I am left-handed and I love this poem!




DrFeelGood says...


:)





:) X 100



Bellarke says...


ME too!!! I am a leftie!!! And I am proud!!



User avatar


Points: 491
Reviews: 1

Donate
Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:51 pm



I do appreciate your efforts.... but i guess you need to put on some improvements




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 229
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:36 am
nosirrah123 wrote a review...



Though I am by no means a poet, I have a few criticisms for you:

1. Religion does not rhyme with delusion.

2. There isn't much of a rhythm to this poem. As I said, I have very limited knowledge of how poems are supposed to work but I would personally have kept a more consistent number of syllables.

3. The metaphor here is very heavy-handed. I feel that it is more acceptable to be this direct in poetry than in prose, but it seems that you only wanted the meaning of the metaphor to click when the reader reaches the word "gay" (which I thought was actually pretty clever). If the poem had worked this way it would have been much more persuasive.

4. You repeated the idea that being "lefty" is evil too much. This contributes to point #3 as well.

5. This one might be on me but the line "The nature in itself isn't always right" doesn't make much sense. You may want to to revise that, but I might just be stupid *shrug*.

Anyways, other than the problems I outlined, this was a pretty solid showing. I don't personally agree with you politically, but hey, you do you man. Next to other things I've seen, this was comparably tactful, which is important when discussing touchy subjects like homosexuality.




User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 524
Reviews: 54

Donate
Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:01 am
StupidSoup says...



Generic but good rhyme scheme




User avatar
163 Reviews


Points: 5016
Reviews: 163

Donate
Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:40 am
Mysticalxx wrote a review...



Fact: the French had a word which meant "left handed " and they used it to insult people in the earlier centuries.

Marvellous poem! I like how your poems go against the prejudiced society issues and defend the rights of the oppressed. Thanks for raising awareness! I especially like these lines:

"By now the boy had realized that lefties were actually right,
The problem was ignorance, which had stirred this baseless fight".

Ignorance is what's the core of most problems!

keep it up!


Mist




reikann says...


Addendum: English 'sinister' is derived from said French word. Left-handed people were thought to be 'evil' because left-handed people were at an advantage when attacked French castles, due to the way castles were built!
That's all carry on



User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 333
Reviews: 107

Donate
Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:15 am
View Likes
ChiravianSkies says...



Fun Fact: In the Renaissance, Lefties were actually considered unnatural or even evil. Just wanted to point that out. XD




User avatar
70 Reviews


Points: 9
Reviews: 70

Donate
Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:38 pm
View Likes
Pan says...



This is my favorite poem ever. I just thought you should know.




DrFeelGood says...


Thanks. Means a lot to me :-)



Random avatar

Points: 266
Reviews: 33

Donate
Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:32 am
View Likes
TheRobster1991 says...



Too be honest. I really had no idea that there was no hidden underlining message. I actually thought that you were being political. By using the terms lefties to liberals and for far-left political people with righties for right-winged conservatives. You know, the whole Democrats vs. Republicans thing.

It is only be reading the comments below that I realised otherwise and that you were using right and left in terms of people's hands. Maybe that should have been clearer? However certain others clearly picked up on this so maybe I'm wrong.

Apart from this I don't have anything to say about the actual message. My comment really was just the above.




Aeros says...


Ive got a feeling you just read too much into it, haha.


Random avatar


lol yeah. I'm deep XD



User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 61
Reviews: 21

Donate
Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:16 am
View Likes
MrTalljoker wrote a review...



MrTalljoker here, to be a total prick:

Just to get this out of the way, when I was done reading this, that one Bo Burnham joke kept coming up in my head about the circles and the squares.

"GET OUT OF HERE ROUNDYS!"

"But why squares?"

"Because this is a metaphor for racism!"

Just a random thought.

Anyways to your piece. I like it, it's nice, light piece. Obviously talking about bigotry in society through a less gruesome picture of it. The technique has been done just a little over a million times, and for good reason. It's fun and it reaches a wider audience that way. Now I don't know if you meant this, but I get a very strong vibe that this is influenced by Dr. Seuss, which to me is a very good thing. It has a very rhythmic and bouncing vibe to it, and is on the whole well structured and worded.

However, there were a few points when a word choice just didn't work for me. They are:

"“Lefties represent weakness, they are unnatural,” he declared
Being a southpaw is an illness, their rights should be debarred"
To tell you the truth, and I know I'm being a bad critic for this, I just can't tell you why I dislike the rhyme here. I know that technically, 'declared' and 'debarred' do rhyme, but they just aren't a pleasant sounding rhyme. I understand what you were doing, but to me the rhyme was just stretched too thin. Maybe try rhyming 'declared' with impaired.

"His prejudice got shattered when he discovered a lefty friend,"
My main problem with this line is the word 'got', it just is such an ugly little wart in a good line. I'd suggest: "His prejudice was shattered when he discovered a lefty friend,". I actually had a similar problem with the next line.

"This poor guy had suffered for supporting an immoral trend!"
The word I dislike in this is 'guy', again it's for similar reasons as before, just breaks up the flow of the sentence. I'd try to use something like 'boy', that word's sounds better with the sentence.

"It’s illegal by law, it’s against every religion,
Living in peace and harmony is kind of a delusion."
Same thing with the first example, I don't like the rhyme 'religion' and 'delusion', same reasons as before, just doesn't tie up well, doesn't deliver a real punch like the others you have. I'd try 'religion' and superstition.

"By now the boy had realized that lefties were actually right,
The problem was ignorance, which had stirred this baseless fight."
Last note, I promise. I actually like this line, but the next line creates a problem for me. "The nature in itself isn't always right," they both start the rhyme with 'right', and since they're one after another, it just sound repetitious. Since I like the 2nd to last line and it's rhyme so much, I would suggest changing the 3rd to last. I thought maybe this would work better: "By now the boy had realized, lefties were not black and white, The problem was ignorance that had stirred this baseless fight."

I do want to tell you, that I don't mean to come off as a nit picking a-hole, and I do want to make clear, that I like this work, it's fun, it's light, it has a lot of heart in it. But being a poem, you always have to not only tell a good story or show a meaningful purpose, but also make the words flow together like a song, a dance of sounds if you would, what hits the ear just right. You obviously know how to do that, a lot of rhymes in this work and work well, I'm just pointing out the things I don't think do as well.

But, again, this is a lovable piece that deserves the attention it's getting. I'll be reading more of your work in the near future.
Sincerely,
MrTalljoker




DrFeelGood says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 1390
Reviews: 31

Donate

User avatar
46 Reviews


Points: 314
Reviews: 46

Donate
Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:22 pm
NicoleBri says...



Well, I'm here to say, not all lefties are in fact gay. I here am a lefty and that's just great. :D

I like this poem, it could use work but I still like it. xD



(just wanted to comment.)




EternalRain says...


Gay as in happy, I presume.



User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 995
Reviews: 37

Donate
Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:24 pm
PerfectWeapon wrote a review...



This is an awesome thing to read well you feel sad, or angry, or just need a laugh entirely! This is very well written, it has a funny idea to it, it is a hilarious point. I like how he compares lefties to being gay, because both are uncommon in this world. However, I am a lefty, (actually ambidextrous) and at first thought you were saying that lefties are all gay (homosexual) in which I felt offended. Beside that point, I love this and will definitely recommend it!!




User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 1036
Reviews: 40

Donate
Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:36 pm
CamorynAnn wrote a review...



Hello DrFeelGood,

I'm Cam, it's review time! I've been gone awhile so be patient here.

I absolutely loved this work. I made me smile and laugh as I read it. I needed a good laugh today and this definitly topped the chart. I had no trouble reading it. All your grammar was very good, as poems often are since it is the authors choice on much of it. You did a perfect job of comparing being left handed to being gay. The one and only thing I would change is the use of the word "gay" in the last line. I feel like it kind of took away from the satirical side of the poem, even though you are using it in the other context of the word, meaning "happy".

Just my thoughts and advice, great job! Keep writing :)

--Cam




DrFeelGood says...


Last line had 2 in one meaning. Literally I used gay as happy but the poem is set in a homophobic environment so the other meaning is, when people would be able to openly declare themselves "gay"



User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 1321
Reviews: 43

Donate
Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:37 am
Love says...



Daww, it's really good!! XD




User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 20

Donate
Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:46 pm
Transporter23 says...



I support the "message" of your poem!




User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 1317
Reviews: 31

Donate
Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:39 pm
View Likes
gv7233 says...



This is just beyond amazing. I love it. It is very captivating to read. I love the title and how you started the poem. I can see the feelings on the poem. It was just awesome and great overall. Keep up your great work.




User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:07 pm
erilea wrote a review...



Heya, DrFeelGood! Wisegirl22 here to review your work!

The title should be capitalized correctly. "The Boy Who Hated "Lefties" is more like it. I've also noticed your italics are completely out of control. You have too much. And, capitalization on each line is a problem too. And, in the first line of the section I copied and pasted, shouldn't there be quotation marks around it, since this guy is saying it? I'm also commenting on how some of the syllables don't work, and I was tripped up while reading this because I was confused on how well your syllables fused together. Also I don't think "debarred" rhymes with "declared". What exactly is a southpaw? Some people might not know what that is. So here's the edited version of this part.

""We dominate the world, we represent the mighty!"

“Lefties represent weakness, they are unnatural,” he declared
Being a leftie is a disease, they shouldn't be allowed..."

I noticed you have a punctuation problem here. You should put more periods and quotation marks where they should be, instead of putting commas everywhere. Lack of punctuation makes it look sloppy, and I don't think that's too good. The last few lines are a bit confusing, but I got the right message of your poem (I think) and I was sincerely impressed by your rhyming and the poem overall! Good job!

-wisegirl22




User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 439
Reviews: 35

Donate
Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:02 am
View Likes
HybridHead says...



This is tremendously clever. I'm impressed :)




DrFeelGood says...


Thanks :)



User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 242
Reviews: 50

Donate
Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:37 pm
View Likes
Firelight says...



I love this... It's perfect




DrFeelGood says...


Thanks :)



Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:37 pm
View Likes
TaylorH says...



Yeah i agree, i like it. it is different and different is typically good. With comparing homosexuality to being left handed is awesome to me. Apparently not to others? It is different and "weird" to be left handed as the same to like he same sex so i understand you completely on that and the fact that you wanted to be lighter on the subject that is in the ultimate question right now. It makes people think, and that's what you want to happen. Also, you shouldn't have to explain yourself to these people that are hating on it.




User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 759
Reviews: 11

Donate
Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:44 pm
View Likes
WritinginRome wrote a review...



So, my first thoughts.
The poem flows rather well, one sentence leads in to each other and I can definitely imagine it being performed, which in my opinion is the purpose of poetry.
however, I must agree with emeraldfox, it feels rather forced and silly to use the use of one hand over the other as a reason for hate. I think if you are going down this route you must at least give example of who has hated lefties (because I know some have) and why they did. Otherwise it strikes the reader as something unexplainable, especially if they do not know the history of bias against left handedness.
If, as emeraldfox suggests you are using it to express disgust at homophobia etc, perhaps you could dedicate a line or two towards this at the end?
That being said, it really does read well and it humorous at the same time as being thought provoking. Job well done Sir/madame




DrFeelGood says...


This wasn't about lefties and righties. I used the left hand-right hand thing to represent homophobia. The trick was not to use a single line about the subject I wanted to address.

So I tried dropping hints like, 'Its an illness. Or Immoral trend or maybe its against religion.' Like I said in my previous replies, I essentially wanted this to be lighthearted and feel-good. Not the hard hitting or sarcastic one.

So to make it quirky and funny without being offensive to anyone I used this trick both to poke fun and convey a message.





Yes I got that, it just seems you could have chosen a better subject, now you've explained it all I appreciate it a lot more as a piece of satire, and it's really well written.



DrFeelGood says...


@WritinginRome

I tried to pick a difficult subject this time. Hope you like it :)

A Terrorist Attack Through The Eyes Of A Dog!



Random avatar

Points: 7676
Reviews: 93

Donate
Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:42 am
View Likes
emeraldfox wrote a review...



I liked the meaning of this poem a lot! It showed how ridiculous it is that the LGBTQ+ community isn't accepted, even though they can't control who they love. The metaphor of being left-handed is similar only because you don't really choose to be left-handed. The only thing is, I didn't think being left-handed was the best analogy to use. This is because you can train yourself to be right-handed, but you can't train yourself to be straight. I also thought if you had just wrote the poem using the words "gay" and "straight" instead of "left-handed" and "right-handed," you may have made your point stronger. I thought that in the fifth stanza, the rhyme wasn't as strong as it was in the other stanzas. But otherwise, I really liked this poem. It had a good meter and message!




DrFeelGood says...


Thanks a lot for your response! I admit I could pull it through on some grounds. Like the point you mentioned about training yourself. It's just that I wanted to write something about LGBT in an entertaining feel-good way.

The essays these days are really hard-hitting so I thought a quirky poem full of puns might be the right way to convey the message!


Random avatar
emeraldfox says...


You did a great job making it quirky, lighthearted, and fun, instead of intense and hard-hitting. Poems like these make the issue of LGBTQ rights less taboo, and I applaud you for that! I didn't mean to sound like I didn't like it; I did!



User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:21 am
View Likes
Willard says...



This isn't a bad poem, but this feels forced and silly. Handedness and homophobia?




DrFeelGood says...


A Dog Who Witnessed a Terrorist Attack

I hope this one looks better!



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 252
Reviews: 9

Donate
Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:59 am
View Likes
WittyUsernameHere wrote a review...



Well this was cute, really! I found it sort of humorous how left and right handed was compared to homosexuality, and how our fellow protagonist learned that hands are hands, no matter what! (You have no idea how cheesy and oddly happy I was after reading this) It was like one of those cute quick poems you'd read as a child, you know? I also really liked how cute some of the rhymes were, along with the pun at the end.

My only nitpick; some of the lines don't really rhyme, and others are worded in a way that jarrs the quick reading to it.

Even so, I still found this to be pretty cute and adorable. :)




DrFeelGood says...


Yup, that was the aim of this poem. I ain't a great essayist. Besides, the short stories and articles on this topic are kinda hard hitting and aggressive. I wanted to write an entertaining feel-good poem full of puns and convey a message.

I'm glad you liked it :) Will try to rectify the grammar issues when I edit this one.



User avatar
401 Reviews


Points: 1658
Reviews: 401

Donate
Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:13 pm
View Likes
ThereseCricket says...



Hi! Just to leave a comment.

Firstly, I'd just like to say that this made me extremely upset. For one, I'm a lefty. For another, I'm against gayness in every shape and form. Going off of that, I'd like to say that being left-handed is absolutely nothing in comparison to being gay. Using a different hand to eat with isn't anything when compared to marrying the same sex. This poem made me very angry, especially the fact that somebody would associate something that I am, to being gay.

Sorry, I can't like as this is against my religion.

Thank you.




DrFeelGood says...


Well I appreciate your comment. But this wasn't a comparison but a symbolic representation. I think I do have creative liberty to present something in a way I want. Secondly I have enough scientific evidences to prove what I have written is absolutely true, but I respect every religion so I wont go ahead on this!

You can read my other poems if you didnt like this ;)



deleted5 says...


Therese he just used left handness to represent how ridiculous how anti-gay rights is. It's not connected.





I know that, Alex. But I still find it somewhat irritating is all. No offense intended.



Rajat101 says...


'Against gayness in every shape and form' is offensive!



Willard says...


Offensive to them? No. Offensive to you? Yes.
Is this poem offensive to Therese? Yes. Is this poem offensive to you? No.



Rajat101 says...


Yes it is offensive for me. And if she can protest why can't I?



Willard says...


You are completely turning the tables, Rajat



Rajat101 says...


How?



deleted5 says...


Much confuse





I'd suggest taking any type of debate to the forums and leaving it there. ;)



DrFeelGood says...


Discrimination of LGBT community

Kindly share your views!





Mods notify me for making personal attacks, but here a user attacks a community making homophobic comments and they turn a deaf eye! *Slow claps for this hypocrisy*



deleted5 says...


Irony sir


Random avatar


Dory is a lesbian.





I'm sorry, but Dory is not a lesbian. Perhaps the person who did her voice is, but in no way does that make Dory one.


Random avatar


Ellen gave Dory absolutely everything that she is. She is the woman that gave Dory life. She would not exist, or be anything like the same character she is without the influence her character took from Ellen. Criticizing gay society and then immersing yourself in the culture by affiliation seems pretty hypocritical to me.





I'm immersing myself in a move called Finding Nemo, not some culture. Really? Are you telling me that everytime somebody goes to pick an avatar (or whatever) they have to examine what the actor them self is?

Just because an actor gives a character life, does that mean that this character is the actor? Just because your mother gave birth to you, does that mean that you're your mother? Of course every character takes something from the actor, but how does that make Dory, Ellen?


Random avatar


Well, I just find it kind of odd that you came on here to express your opinion and disapproval of gay society, because this piece has something to do with homosexuality, yet your page is covered by something that was basically created by the poster child of lesbians. Doesn't take much analyzing of one's avatar to realize that that's pretty two-faced. You're entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't mean you have to look for an excuse to paste it across somebody else's piece of work just to make sure they know that you disapprove.





Yes, I can understand where you are coming from with this. I apologize for giving off such a front. This is not my intention. Previously, when I chose Dory as my avatar I had basically no idea about her being associated with Ellen. She was just seen as a cute lovable fish, who is my favorite cartoon character. Then I learned what she was seen as, and that actually made me want to keep her as my avatar. Not because I wished to support Ellen and the idea of gayness but because I wanted people to see Dory as someone who wasn't to really be associated with such ideas as gay. Although, this is my opinion on the matter I can understand your opinion on it, and I also see that other people might get the wrong idea about me, and it could be seen as hypocrisy. As it is, I will change my avatar sometime in the near future.



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 441
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:56 pm
View Likes
Baidirai wrote a review...



Here to review!

I am a lefty, so this kind of applies to me. I like it. :) However, the story seems to jump around a lot. The vocabulary was good, not too hard to understand. But, as said, the punctuation is a little erratic. I believe you could have done better with syllables, because some lines have a lot more than others. Overall, a good poem, but could use some work.




DrFeelGood says...


Well this isn't about lefty and righty thing. It is about homosexuality and the myths associated with it. I hope you like it when you read it for the second time :)



Baidirai says...


Oh! Yeah, that makes sense! Whoops, I feel kinds silly now. :) Yes, I love it! It's a great poem.



DrFeelGood says...


Thaks :)



DrFeelGood says...


Typo, *Thanks* :)



User avatar
433 Reviews


Points: 13351
Reviews: 433

Donate
Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:43 am
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...



To quote Benedict from Much Ado About Nothing, "There's a double meaning in that." :-)
Firstly, your punctuation seems rather erratic. You vary wether you put a full stop at the end of your stanzas, and in general your placement appears inconsistent.
I am happy to say however that this is the only real flaw I can see with this work. There are a couple of rhymes that could be better, methinks the last especially, and you might want to try syllable counting because a couple of lines seem a little on the long side, but really there was very little to criticize about this piece.
Just as a general piece of advice, make your better rhyme your second. For instance here Proofs seems a better rhyme than Goofs, so switch their places.
Yours in reviewing,
Take That You Fiend





If you know what the tip of a shoelace is called, Congratulations, you watched Phineas and Ferb!
— FireEyes