DrFeelGood's Story ...

by DrFeelGood

The disorganized structure of the poem is deliberate! DrFeelGood is a fantasy I desire to achieve!

Being DrFeelGood isn’t easy,
Isn’t this world a bit too cheesy?

Despair gets the acclaim, romance is the seller
Poor frothy feel-good remains the literary filler!

Sceptical are the critics, doubtful is the reader
Why the hell should I buy a superficial brain feeder?

His ideas seem clichéd, his plot isn’t real,
This moral story of yours is full of ideal!

Devoid of sex, without any gore
Your story might turn into a big fat bore

Patiently he hears the cynical shout,
Wiping his tears he continues to sprout

Toiling hard he polishes his craft
Manages to pen down a thunderous draft

Making you laugh and moving you to tears,
His emotional roller-coaster will be remembered for years!

Re-defining literature he stands tall today
Following his heart, he’s a star all the way!

rainforest wrote a review...

Hello there, DrFeelGood! Thanks for replying to my thread by the way! CaptainSaltWater here with a review for you!

First off, I really like it! A couple things I realized in it. You spelled skeptical wrong. You spelled it "sceptical." Also, on the fourth line, did you mean fellar, becuase seller and feller rhyme, but seller and filler don't. Finally, on pretty much all of the lines, you started each with a capital letter. Here is an example.

Being DrFeelGood isn’t easy,
Isn’t this world a bit too cheesy?

In that part, you started a sentence on the top line, and then you ended it with a comma, and then on the next line, you capitalized the first letter. That is really all I have to say. Otherwise, great job! I really like the rhyme scheme and the formatting is amazing. I would LOVE to see more of you works. Don't give up and always write, DrFeelGood!

-CaptainSaltWater

BrumalHunter wrote a review...

Salutations, and happy horrible Review Day!

I have seen that you have resumed your activity on YWS - yay! As soon as I read your work, I knew you had a passion for writing, and no-one as passionate as you can stay away from writing for too long.

So, you are telling us your story, eh? Well, then, I shall read it with the utmost attention. And, short as it is, I think it defines you perfectly!

For those who have not yet been acquainted with your work, this poem may seem a little too disorganised, but, as I have said, I cannot find any fault.

Being DrFeelGood isn’t easy,
Isn’t this world a bit too cheesy?

The comma should actually be a dash or semi-colon, but the fact that you at least put any punctuation mark there is satisfactory, as most poets I know would prefer to add nothing at all. As for the statement, it is true that your humour is quite sharp, but I must add, you do not refrain from using puns either... ;)

Although seller and filler does not exactly rhyme, I have read poems where the spelling of the words seem to let them rhyme, but when one considers their pronuciation, they do not. (And there does seem to be an excessive amount of romance literature nowadays, doesn't there? Though to stereotype all romantic literature is not fair, since I read a beautiful romantic short story earlier today.)

That is indeed the question. ;)

Do people actually say this of your work? Hmm... it's a good thing tastes differ. I, at least, am a romantic who loves ideals.

Devoid of sex, without any gore

This is one of the things which annoy me the most. If the first two things are not present in one's writing, then some people would consider one's work unworthy of being read. In response to that, I would tell them to keep their sex and gore, for I have intelligent reading material to keep me busy, thank you very much!

Patiently he hears the cynical shout,
Wiping his tears he continues to sprout

Aurora down below found the sprout confusing - I assume it means the same as flourish? It is good that you included this stanza, since now I can say this: "makrothumia" is the Greek word for forbearance. It means to patiently endure the frailties, offenses, injuries, and provocations of others, without murmuring, repining, or resenting. It is considered a virtue. So, as a fellow author, I urge you to continue wth grim determination - you may feel down at times, but, like the phoenix, you will rise from the ashes and burn brighter than ever before!

Toiling hard he polishes his craft
Manages to pen down a thunderous draft

Diligence - that is another virtue. In fact, it is considered one of the seven most heavenly virtues by the Catholic Church. While I may not be Catholic, I do agree.

Considering I showed your work to my English teacher, I'd say so!

Re-defining entertainment he stands tall today

And never let anyone convince you to do otherwise!

You truly are a star, and I cannot wait to read your next masterpiece. A joyous review day to you!

DrFeelGood says...

I am late. I wanted to give a detailed reply but I completely forgot about it. Really sorry for that!

I really like your detailed review. I'm glad you took out so much time for this.

Actually this is perhaps my first attempt at lyrical poetry. This poem happened within 30 minutes and about 20 minutes of editing and formatting. In total, within 50 minutes.

I want to talk specifically about the genre thing. I have nothing against any genre. Gore and romance both are fun to read, but specifically in India (my country) which had a history of realistic fiction writers there's been a lot of commercialization of literature in recent times.

There has been a rise of authors who write college romances with puerile humor and they have practically outwitted the literary geniuses through aggressive marketing of books and promotional gimmicks.

As an aspiring writer I feel deeply disappointed because every friend of mine says, "If you want to be a big author, start writing romances." Now I get your point that generalization isn't a great thing but this poem was written to kinda vent frustration in a healthy, positive way to give self-motivation. I like your Greek word reference! And the meaning of sprout was exactly what you assumed.

Sorry for giving such a detailed response but this was a candid confession. I hate it when commerce dominates art! (P.S. I'm a student of science, so technically I shouldn't bother. :D

BrumalHunter says...

Please, don't apologise when it comes to long responses - the longer the response, the better! And thank you for responding at all, since many do not even include a thank you for the review.

I understand your frustration completely. How some literary works are elevated higher than some works when all for which they are good is making fire, is beyond me. Nevertheless, Joanne Rowling spent years trying to get her book published, but when she finally succeeded, look where her success got her.

Thank you for explaining your situation to me; I appreciate that you are willing to clarify certain matters so as not to inconvenience the reader. And I haven't said this before, but I am very glad you have come back from your hiatus, and much earlier than you had said you would. There's just something about writing and interacting with other writers that's addictive...

DrFeelGood says...

I should actually avoid this temptation. Really addicted to writing. Can't help it though :D

Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:29 am
TheCrimsonLady wrote a review...

Hello, love! Aurora here with a quick review day review for you!
Happy October 2014 Review Day!

Okay. Let's get down to business.

Patiently he hears the cynical shout,
Wiping his tears he continues to sprout
All of your couplets before this have made sense. ALL OF THEM! So why does this one make no sense whatsoever? People don't sprout as a general rule of thumb, love. If you're talking in figurative language, a) I still have no idea what that means, and b) the rest of your couplets are pretty straightforward. Don't change the style/tone/mood of the poem nearing the end. Furthermore, the couplets after it go back to being normal, too.

I know you said that your poem is disorganized, but I honestly could not tell. The rhythm/ rhyme scheme is all there, and if not perfect, it's perfectly workable for a poem.

I also liked how your poem tells a story, and I enjoyed reading it.

I know you weren't flowing the conventions of proper punctuation (few poets do), but inasmuch as you were, I believe you should have a comma after that line. Of course, it's entirely possible I'm completely mistaken, so if it feels wrong to you, ignore me here. It's only a suggestion, after.

I also liked the happy ending. One thing I think you could have had a bit more of in this poem was figurative language. Yes, it tells a great story, but even just describing more things- perhaps the gore?- would be great.

And rather than entertainment in your second to last line, choosing a different word might go better for the mood you've built up. Since it's a pretty straightforward poem- not much room for interpretation- I'd not make the last couplets interpretive. That's just odd and out of place. You build up the image of an author, but when you say entertainment, images of TV and movies pop into my head. Or concerts. Or singers.... or anything but books, basically. Using a word that connotates more.. bookness might be to your advantage.

Keep writing, love.
~Aurora

DrFeelGood says...

Thanks a lot for your wonderful review Aurora.

I have 2 points to make. By 'sprout' I meant grow. Personally that was my favorite line.

By that I meant Undeterred by criticism he continues to work hard

Technically I thing the meaning may be figurative, but I couldn't resist editing that line.

So while I disagree with you on the first part, I completely admit the misuse of word 'entertainment'. I couldn't just catch a word which could seamlessly fit in the flow, so i settled down for entertainment.

And my second point is, by disorganized flow, I was talking about the flow of story. I aint a poet actually. I have hardly written any poems before this, so the story which I wanted to share through this poem was unsteady.

I will try harder the next time. Thanks for your review :)

Quite welcome, love :). Glad to know I could help.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:00 pm

bravo!
i so enjoyed this! the classic, happy ending left me with a smile.
i just love lyric things, especially where the main character shows all the bad guys wrong.
well done.

DrFeelGood says...

Thanks a lot for commenting. I'm glad you liked it.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:38 pm
brielle says...

Very Funny Poem, i just had a laugh of the day. Like the rythmes skems. Keep up the good Funny Poems. Patiently he hears the cynical shout,
Wiping his tears he continues to sprout. I like this one alot, but byeeee.! Now.

DrFeelGood says...

Thanks :)

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 pm
BookWolf says...

Brilliant, hilarious poem! :) Slightly short, but highly enjoyable.

We all share half a braincell that bounces like a windows screensaver
— WeepingWisteria