I'm

by Demora

I'm not your savior
I'm not your hero
I'm not your protector
I'm not your defender
I'm not you

I'm your betrayer
I'm your villian
I'm your failers
I'm your pain
I'm your soul

phantomwriterjoe wrote a review...

So basically this is a poem about someone who loves someone else. I'm assuming the point of view of this person right here is male just because of the masculine adjectives. Perhaps the loved one, a woman, feels like the speaker, the male, is everything; to her the male is her "Savior, hero, protector, defender." but the speaker doesn't want to be these things for this person. He only wants to "betray" her.

Or, perhaps, the part about I'm not you means this person has a double life in which he thinks that he's a hero and all the things listed, and he indeed appears to be those things on the outside, while on the inside he is actually a villain.

I think the important things here are the contrast between "I'm not you/I'm your soul." I think our job as the reader is to interpret what he means by this statement.

And now, as I'm reading it again, one more interpretation comes to mind; maybe the person in this poem is saying that the soul is a basely, evil thing, and that no matter how we try, we are going to feel pain and frustration despite what we seem on the outside.

Kale wrote a review...

This poem was very bland and repetitive. It also didn't make sense in one line, which, considering how short this piece was, really counts against it a lot.

The line in question:

I'm your failers

"Failers" isn't a word. If you meant "failures", then the line would make sense, but the fact remains that you've misspelled it, which really, really hurts your piece because impressions really count for a lot in poetry. Each little mistake seems so much larger because poems tend to be short, and because they're short, mistakes are so much more obvious, so much more glaring.

Before posting your poetry (and, really, anything you write, though poetry especially needs this), be sure to proofread thoroughly. There's no excuse for misspelling a word when spelling checkers come standard with any decent word processing program, and it's even more inexcusable when some of those word processors are available legally for free.

Another thing that will help your poetry is making it more specific. Right now, this is generic and repetitive. If you were to instead show how the narrator is not "your" savior/hero/protector/defender/"you", the poem would be easier to relate to and would also be a bit more memorable.

Right now, this reads like a list, and lists aren't exactly the most unique, relatable, or memorable things. If you want your poetry to be really meaningful and to affect the people who read it, you're going to have to figure out how to capture the ideas you want to convey and package them in a way that's unique to you, easily related to, and memorable.

One of these ways is to write about specific situations and/or characters. If you can capture what makes that situation/character unique and meaningful, then your readers will remember your poem, take away meaning from it, and remember that meaning.

It will take a lot of practice and work to be able to do so, but when you succeed, it's worth every bit of effort you spent to get there.

fireheartedkaratepup wrote a review...

So! What are you doing, here? I see an idea, a theme--you're telling someone that you're not who they think you are. Why? How have you (or rather, the speaker, sorry) come to that conclusion? What's happened up until this point? This feels incomplete; like you've started a poem and haven't finished it yet.

(One nitpick: Line three of the second stanza should say "I'm your failures". There is no such word as failers. XD)

What I recommend is to spend some more time thinking about the backstory of this relationship. Think about the intricacies--how have they interacted in the past? What has the speaker been hiding? What purpose does the speaker have for saying this now? Is the speaker actually talking to the person, or will that person never hear this? How deep does the betrayal go? Is it merely pretending to be a friend when the speaker really isn't, or are they going to do something terrible?

All in all, I think this could be a great poem! It just needs a bit of work and contemplation, that's all.

Excuse me I have never *lied* about a character I just don't tell the truth
— AceassinOfTheMoon