12+

The Chronicles of a Public Bus (part 3.05)

by Ventomology

Saturday, 19:00, route 38

Much to Everett’s surprise, Mr. Bartram’s wife is one of the office ladies at Franklin High School. He hadn’t recognized the last name when he started working, but Mrs. Bartram’s overall daintiness and extravagantly large nose are hard to forget. Her distinctness is a sharp contrast to Mr. Bartram’s bland face, so Everett wonders what their daughters look like.

“Everett Avila!” Mrs. Bartram exclaims as she steps onto the bus. “It’s lovely to see you again. I had no idea you were my husband’s new protégé!”

Gulping, Everett smiles and swallows back his guilt for not remembering her as well as Mrs. Bartram remembers him. Still grinning, she motions for her family to follow and shuffles around to let them pass. Both of the little girls are decked in heavy winter coats, and thick, fleece scarves in blue and purple wrap around their faces, keeping Everett from discerning which parent they resemble more strongly.

“I’m a bit surprised though,” Mrs. Bartram continues. “I never thought you’d pick bus-driving as your temporary job, not when the hours are so long. You’re basically a full-time employee and a full-time student, aren’t you?”

Mr. Bartram nudges his daughters further onto the bus, and Everett watches to see when he can close the door on his giant can of sardines.

“Pretty much,” he says, “but I do get paid more than I would in the food industry.” He pulls a lever, and the door hisses, shutting out the frigid night air. “How’s the old alma mater?”

Crossing her arms, Mrs. Bartram sighs. She leans against one of the lower handrails near the door, considering how to proceed, and shoots a glance at her family. “I don’t know. We’ve had five exorcisms in the past week, two of them performed by one student on another without adult supervision, and when I call up student information to excuse absences, it seems like half the kids missing are blonde girls. This messiness in town is hurting the school more than you’d think.”

Everett pushes the gas pedal and stares out at the road. Several blocks away lies the longest street in town, and a wall of tail and headlights glitters in the intersection. As he draws closer, Everett hears the faint honking of a car horn.

“I didn’t even think most high school kids would know about the wackiness going on around them. A lot of people don’t pay that much attention to the news,” Everett says.

The conversation lulls as Mr. Bartram hands off the daughter in all blue to his wife and inches closer to the front of the bus. He leans against the wall separating the driver from the passengers and tilts his head to aim his voice at Everett. “You’ve gotta admit though, it’s hard for most people to ignore something that could result in the death of someone they know.”

“Besides, it’s difficult to ignore poltergeists during morning announcements” adds Mrs. Bartram. “Last year, one of the varsity basketball players died in a car accident, and he started pulling out the bleachers in the main gym during third hour.”

“Not to mention a number of neighborhoods are being haunted now, and it feels like the strangest things happen during the school rush,” says Mr. Bartram. “Kids keep seeing the weirdest things happen on this bus.”

Everett flicks on his turn signal and waits to steer onto the main drag. Cars crawl past, caught in a loop of congestion because of the limited parking at the school. Hopefully he won’t have to stop again before Franklin High.

“Now that you mention it," he says, "I saw a girl beat up a giant bird last night on route 31.” A gap opens in the traffic, and Everett guns the engine to break onto the main drag. A sea of lights blink and shudder ahead of him, and he strains his eyes to see if anyone is standing next to the Catkill Street bus stop.

Mr. Bartram looks out as well, absently flicking the pom-pom atop his daughters pink beanie. “I think you have a person waiting up there. Was the bird a white stilt-legged kind of thing? I saw something like that too, but whatever it was after wasn’t on my bus.”

“Was the girl an Asian-looking teenager?” Mrs. Bartram asks.

“Yes and yes,” Everett says. He leans forward and squints. Sure enough, a woman stands next to the Catkill Street stop sign. Her fur coat shines in the onslaught of headlights, and a scowl darkens her face. Cringing, Everett turns on his signal lights again and pulls over, wincing as cars speed up to take his place in the driving lane.

The Bartrams quiet as the woman stomps onto the bus. She leaves behind a vague footprint with snow and drops a handful of small coins into Everett’s change box before surveying the seating situation for a moment. When it’s clear no seats are available, she attempts to push Mrs. Bartram further back and stand right at the front of the bus. Mrs. Bartram does not budge.

“Move it,” the woman says. Everett pulls back into the driving lane, and she stumbles.

“There is plenty of space further back,” Mrs. Bartram replies, pulling her daughter in close. “Normally, I would move, but I’m afraid I don’t approve of pushing.”

Across the aisle, the pink Bartram girl reaches out with a gloved hand to touch the woman’s jacket. “Daddy,” she starts, “is that leopard fur?”

“It’s not real, honey.” Letting out a nervous chuckle, Mr. Bartram leans to one side and pats his daughter’s shoulder. “Don’t touch people without their permission.”

“But Daddy, what if it’s a real leopard? Do you think Miss Kelly could help it?”

Mr. Bartram’s face turns pinker than his daughter’s clothes. “Miss Kelly has a green thumb; she helps plants, not animals.”

“But Daddy!”

The blue Bartram girl jolts, startled by her sister shouting, and begins to cry. Immediately, Mrs. Bartram flushes as well and bends over to lift the little girl into her arms. She shoots a glance at Everett. “Goodness gracious, Everett. I am so sorry about all this commotion.”

“Yes,” Mr. Bartram agrees, “we probably should have taken the—Emily, what did I just say about touching people? Charlotte, don’t stick your tongue out at your sister.”

Mrs. Bartram slumps against her handrail and sends a pleading look towards the ceiling. “I hope you two don’t act like this during the musical.” She sighs and softens her approach in dealing with the leopard print woman. “Miss, I’m very sorry for—

“Just shut up.” The woman glares at every member of the Bartram family, plus the poor young man sitting closest to them, and adjusts the black beret pinned to her head. Plastic soles clacking on the floor, she shoves her way to the bus’s back door and stands with her head lowered in seething rage.

“Stupid kids,” she mutters. A circle of empty space clears around her; no one wants to stand next to the angry lady if they can help it.

“First the dragon brat, then the alchemist’s son, and now these dumb toddlers. I hate my job.”

Mon May 02, 2016 4:59 am
EnderFlash wrote a review...

Hiss. Bark. Meow. Hi?

Notes

The mood just feels... off, with what's happening. Everett said that the kids don't notice much, but wouldn't mass-kidnappings be the talk of the town? Everything feels pretty light-hearted and the frustration of some (ahem ahem, leopard lady?) doesn't make things more dreadful. Well, I guess that when people can linger around as ghosts after dying and the supernatural lives among them, people will be less panicky towards the unknown.

I've noticed that you like to separate the action and description, or at least you did so in this chapter. An example being where you when the lady boards the bus and the footprints she leaves behind are in separate sentences. I wouldn't recommend this too much, since it makes things feel disjointed.

---

Thoughts/Impressions

1. Okay, I'm starting to like leopard print lady here. Her constant anger is amusing, although maybe that's just because I tend to like angry characters.

2. The family moments with the two daughters are adorable. Please don't kill them. (You likely won't, but it doesn't hurt to say it!)

Eeewhoop.

Ventomology says...

Honestly, the closer I get to the end with this story, the worse the writing seems to get. I think the action/description disjoint might be getting better in the later chapters though, since I remember you giving me that comment before.

I think there are only a few more deaths from this point, so the daughters are safe.

Thanks again!

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:48 am
Mea wrote a review...

Hey there! I'm back for another review today, though I'm afraid this one might be a bit short.

So, another good chapter, even though I don't really know who these people are since none of the other chapters I reviewed have had them in them.

That's actually something I thought I should mention - it wasn't very clear to me whose perspective we were actually in during this chapter. I thought it was Mrs. Bartram's at first, but only later did I realize it's actually Everett's. The problem is, nothing that's going on here is actually relating back to Everett, so the narrative seems to forget about him for several paragraphs at a time, and that's generally not a good thing. Remember to always relate it back to him, even if it's just a quick thought about him passing judgement on what else is going on.

Something I'm kind of wondering about is the last line - if she's annoyed at Mrs. Bartram's kids, then what does that have to do with her job? Is it just because she's having to take the bus to go home?

The main other thing I wanted to comment on was that the conversation between the three of them about the supernatural stuff that's been going on kind of just felt gimmicky. It felt like they were just saying it for it to be exposition and tell the reader what exactly's been happening. The first paragraph, when Mrs. Bartram complains about how it hurts the school - that works. But what follows just feels awkward and expository.

And that's all I've got for you! Good luck with the rest of this.

Ventomology says...

Hmm... actually, the story is written in 3rd-person omniscient, and I just take occasional dives into the perspectives of the people on the bus, but since people have commented on the lack of set perspective before, I can see where you're getting that from.

And for the others, it does seem a bit gimmicky, but we will be hearing about those events again later.

Songmorning wrote a review...

Hello! I'm just burning through this story. I think it might qualify as a "page-turner", which is good since you listed it under "suspense". :)

The present tense continues to catch me off-guard...for some reason, I can never seem to completely get used to present tense in stories. However, that's a matter of personal taste, and the good thing about present tense is that it makes the story somewhat more immediate. It's another thing which adds to the suspense.

“It’s lovely to see you again. I had no idea you were my husband’s new protégé!”

Protégé? Heheh, how wonderful. Mrs. Bartram (which I misread as "Batman every time) is quite a character right off the bat! She has an extravagant and elegant choice of words.

keeping Everett from discerning which parent they resemble more strongly.

Nooo! I wanted to find that out too! This is the real mystery in the story: are the Bartram kids bland like Mr. Bartram or distinct like Mrs. Bartram? We may never know!

You’re basically a full-time employee and a full-time student, aren’t you?

Really? O_O Suddenly, I really admire Everett and want to find out more about him.

He leans against the wall separating the driver from the passengers and tilts his head to aim his voice at Everett.

For some reason, that one, short sentence put a really strong mental image in my imagination. I want to be able to write sentences like that. What's your secret? :P

“Now that you mention it, I saw a girl beat up a giant bird last night on route 31.”

I think, after the paragraph of description, you should add an "Everett says" after this quote. For a while, I was confused as to who was talking, but I'm pretty sure now that it's Everett. The fact that the subject of the next sentence is "a gap" rather than any person also makes it less clear, although Everett is involved in that sentence.
Incidentally, that quote in itself is a rather strange thing to say in casual conversation! XD

Mr. Bartram looks out as well, absently flicking the pom-pom atop his daughters pink beanie.

That too! That simple sentence gave me such a strong mental image, and it put all kinds of ideas in my mind about Mr. Bartram that I wouldn't have considered otherwise. He's a dad, and he seems like a good one too, probably affectionate toward his kids, but also a businessy, practical sort of person...I don't know how flicking a pom-pom could bring about such a long train of thought, but suddenly I'm wondering how Mr. Bartram could really be said to be bland. I kind of like him.

a woman stands next to the Catkill Street stop sign. Her fur coat...

It's HER again! And still grumpy? I wonder why she's always grumpy? I must find out!

When it’s clear no seats are available

No seats are available??? I was not imagining the bus to be that crowded at all, though I guess everyone was inching their way on, and Mr. Bartram was standing up. To tell the truth, I was imaging the bus to be empty or almost empty except for the Bartram family, particularly since it was night--although, looking at the time stamp at the beginning, it is only 7:00 PM. It would have helped if you had mentioned earlier that there were a lot of people on the bus. For example, you could change this:
"Mr. Bartram nudges his daughters further onto the bus"
to this:
"Mr. Bartram nudges his daughters further onto the crowded bus."

Yep, I definitely like Mr. Bartram a lot (although Martin is still my favorite character). I guess I just enjoy watching dads interact with their young children, now that I think about it. ^_^ How old are the girls anyway? They seem pretty little, the way they talk--especially since the one girl seemed to think the leopard-print coat could be healed into a real leopard again. I can't imagine she could be any older than five, if she could think that. But then again, some strange things happen in your world, and the Bartrams seem to be familiar with the powerful creatures, so maybe it's not as unrealistic an idea as I think. But then again again, Mr. Bartram seemed pretty embarrassed when she said that. (I'm finally starting to think "Bartram", rather than first thinking "Batman" and then correcting myself, though it's still taking some effort. :P )

The blue Bartram girl jolts, startled by her sister shouting, and begins to cry.

She's gotta be two years old--three, at the most.

Emily, what did I just say about touching people? Charlotte, don’t stick your tongue out at your sister.”

I know their names now! Emily the four-or-five-year-old and Charlotte the two-or-three-year-old. ^_^

I hate my job.

Job? Hmmm...interesting. I wonder what her job is? I just wonder everything about this woman.

Oh my gosh, I loved this chapter. It's times like these that I know I really do love little kids and the parent-to-little-kid relationship. Sometimes I question whether I actually love these things or am just pretending to because I want to--but yep, I definitely love them. Mr. Bartram has also moved up among the ranks of my favorite characters, though I'm not sure whether I like him or Marie more.

But Martin is still my favorite.

Speaking of which, my name happens to include both the names "Marie" and "Martin", but I don't think that's why those two are my favorite characters. I like Martin's personality and ethnicity, and I like how sweet and beautiful Marie is, as well as her Austrian background. Very interesting.

Now I must read on in the hope that I'll find out more about the leopard-print woman. I don't even know if the story that's posted so far gives us any more clues as to who she is, but I really want to find out!

Ventomology says...

I guess, since I ride a very crowded bus at least four times a week, I tend to forget to mention how busy they are! Thanks for the reminder. I have also fixed the little spots you mentioned.

Also, I am so glad you enjoyed the Bartram kids. That's really the first time I've written young children, so I'm glad you thought it was believable!

Thanks for all the reviews!

Songmorning says...

Aha, no wonder you know buses so well.

"Yesterday you said tomorrow, so JUST DO IT."
— Shia Labeouf