z

Young Writers Society


12+

Frost Lark News 29/1/17

by sheysse


Frost Lark News 29/1/17

By Skyla Holt

“UK Awareness”

Today, I want to honor the UK. The UK is a wonderful country, especially if you like rain. It does rain a lot there. You see, I learned the other day that my mother is from the UK, and that I'm 50% UKish. Once I googled what the UK was, I discovered it was a fascinating place, full of diversity, rain, and good actors. Out of curiosity, I conducted a survey to see how many Frost Lark citizens were aware of this impressive country. As it turns out, none of them were. And so, today I intend to raise public awareness of the UK.

“Frost Lark Flag”

Mayor Orlando Clayton has asked me to help design a Frost Lark flag. He seems to believe I'm a good artist, since I painted him a cherry tree two years ago for his birthday... I used a YouTube tutorial. So, I'm asking you, the readers of this newspaper, to help me design a flag. If you go to the bottom of this paper, you'll find a gray box. Leave a suggestion for the flag, and it will teleport to my desk. Then, I'll just put them together into a flag. Then we'll use the flag to declare we are independent from the Bivoclar Lizards secretly running our society, something Clayton has been meaning to do but just keeps forgetting.

“UK Awareness” (continued)

There are many things fascinating about the UK. Firstly, it actually consists of three separate countries, all held together by remnants of warfare from long ago. I actually have quite mixed feelings about that... They also write their dates “Day/Month/Year,” which I remember learning in school is acceptable but not common in Frost Lark. In addition to that, they spell some words differently. Some examples are “battleaxe, cannibalize, dehumanise, disembowelling, fillet, hospitalise, pulverize, traumatise, and yoghurt.”

ADVERTISEMENT SPACE

[relatable question] [response] [brand name]

[attempted joke]

[brand name again]

[catch phrase]

[beg for purchases]

ADVERTISEMENT SPACE

Dun, dun, dun, dun, duh. Dun dun dun dundundundundudnundudndundudnuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, duh. *breathes

-United Music Corporation (That exists?)

Survey Time

What should dogs say?

a) Woof. (Don't pick this one, its boring)

b) Ribbit

c) Explosive Sound Effect

d) “Hey! Open the door! I gotta go!”

e) “I'm not your pet. Foolish mortal.”

“New Co-Mayor”

Co-Mayor Erick Harvey has resigned. This has come as quite a blow to me, seeing as we have been dating for two months (though I was in a coma for most of it). His mother, bless her, has grown ill, and he has given up his job to stay at home and care for her. I, too, intend to help care for her. However, this leaves an empty seat in the government. Orlando Clayton has nominated Katherine Reeds for co-Mayor, and if she is approved by the town council, will assume the role. Seeing as there is actually no council, she is pretty much guaranteed to be co-Mayor. The inauguration will take place Wednesday in town hall.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
104 Reviews


Points: 4417
Reviews: 104

Donate

User avatar
276 Reviews


Points: 16802
Reviews: 276

Donate
Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:40 am
View Likes
rosette wrote a review...



Hello Sheyren!
This work here has been in the Green Room for quite a while and by the power of RED, I will take it out! Ahem. Anyway. Moving on...
This was a very enjoyable read and I totally loved it! (Confession: I've never read a Frost Lark News all the way through - sorry!) Your humor is so on-point, the Survey Time was my favorite, by far. (dogs should say e.) However. There were a couple things here that befuddled me. (did I really just use that word?) Most of this stems from the fact that I know nothing whatsoever about anything you've established in earlier portions, what the writer is like, the town or anything else. I apologize in advance.

I don't know how old Skyla Holt is but I thought it a little strange she never knew she was UKish (I love that phrase, by the way). And 50%, at that. I would think at some point in her childhood or adulthood this would have been pointed out to her!
You also mentioned she googled the UK, found it interesting, etc., etc. But this is classified as Fantasy? Okay - Fantasy, with a little twist to it, then. After all, none of the citizens of the town even knew of the UK's existence until quite recently.

Then we'll use the flag to declare we are independent from the Bivoclar Lizards secretly running our society, something Clayton has been meaning to do but just keeps forgetting.


Eh? Clayton has been meaning to do what, exactly? Declare independence from Bivoclar Lizards? (strangest organization ever)

I already said it but I am so, so sorry if I've upset you with all my cluelessness. The characters and storyline is just so... fascinating! And baffling. I'm not sure if you intended for this newspaper/magazine/whatever its called to be written all weird and choppy - is this all because of Skyla? Goodness, this was the worst review I have ever done. Please excuse me. *grimaces*

Overall I enjoyed it and wasn't too confused. xP Keep up your writing, Shey, I'll be sure to read the next Frost Lark once it hits the Green Room. You can count on that. That'll be all for tonight and I truly hope you found this in some way, form or manner... helpful?
Keep up the good work!
-TheKid




sheysse says...


Thanks for the review! It was helpful, don't worry!



rosette says...


*sighs in relief* You're welcome!



User avatar
61 Reviews


Points: 125
Reviews: 61

Donate
Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:17 pm
Feltrix says...



Will Erick return to his rightful place as Frost Lark News Jailor?

Also, I think Frost Lark's flag should be a white skull with two crossed white bones and a black hole -black background.

And dogs say c), once you add the right....ingredients. (Cackles evilly).




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 9818
Reviews: 16

Donate
Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:54 am
AlexOfLight says...



"Yog-hurt."
XD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

e) "I'm not your pet. Foolish mortal."




sheysse says...


:)



User avatar
802 Reviews


Points: 18884
Reviews: 802

Donate
Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:16 am
Dracula wrote a review...



Here is another review that isn't really even a review.

I discovered it was a fascinating place, full of diversity, rain, and good actors.
I agree with the good actors part. ;) So Frost Lark is actually on earth, in our reality? Or you're just blending fact and fiction again? I have to admit it felt a little out of place to have the UK in this, but it does make sense when I think about the political aspect of it.

Then we'll use the flag to declare we are independent from the Bivoclar Lizards secretly running our society, something Clayton has been meaning to do but just keeps forgetting.
Well, it should have a snowflake since that's the first image that comes to mind when I think of frost.

“battleaxe, cannibalize, dehumanise, disembowelling, fillet, hospitalise, pulverize, traumatise, and yoghurt.”
I love how you used all the bad, deadly words, and then yoghurt. XD Very humourous.

What should dogs say?
e) “I'm not your pet. Foolish mortal.”

The inauguration will take place Wednesday in town hall.
I will expect full coverage of this event in the next installment.




sheysse says...


Thanks for the review! I like the snowflake idea. :)




One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World