Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Other

Creative Writing

by WritingWolf

HI there other YWS users. I had to write a speech about my favorite hobby for my speech class. So I figured why not post it here to and see what you guys think about it.

~

I've only ever heard of one hobby that you never stop learning how to do.

Creative writing is impossible to completely master, but you can get close, and trying to has so many benefits.

Creative writing can motivate you to learn new things, help with social skills, and even help you achieve a more relaxed lifestyle.

Many times you will find fiction writers learning to do new things. Like music, or programming, or about foreign cultures, or new languages, or anything else they may need. And that is why you can never completely master writing. Because to do so, you must learn about everything you may one day write about.

I find that each time I write about human characters it helps me understand human nature just a little bit better. Always trying to decide if it seems right if this character does that, or if that character does this.

Which makes it easier to interact with the people around me, because I can guess at what they mean when they do whatever it is their doing that makes no sense, and how they expect me to respond to it.

A lot of writers tend to do this one very common exercise called free writing. The name pretty much explains it, they simply sit down and write whatever comes to mind. This is very challenging at first for most writers. The idea of not bothering with spelling or grammar, and simply writing whatever. Even if all they do is just list food items.

Sometimes this has an effect on their everyday lives. They will sometimes become a little more relaxed about things. For myself it shows in my music. I no longer get nervous at concerts because I know no matter how I do on this one there will be another, and I'll do better on that one.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that creative writing can help improve your daily life, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new hobby.

ArcticMonkey wrote a review...

Hiya Wolfy! I have returned yet again.

Okay so I find this quite similar to your what is art piece, but I'll try and refrain from comparing them too much, but still, they're in the same sort of style. As I said with the poem, you seem to do well with saying what these creative hobbies mean to the authors- I always found this hard myself and I know other have as well. I mean why do I write? It's a question I'm still not sure I can answer, but you've done really well to try and show this here so well done.

This sentence is rather awkwardly phrased, and it shouldn't be because it's the first sentence! And considering that this was a speech, remember that most people listen to the beginning and end- the middle is where you can dabble a bit. This is the sentence that draws people in, and right now is not written so correctly.

I feel that here you can write another paragraph that starts with 'Creative writing does...', so that this works in a rule of three. Literary seems to love triples, and I think this could be really effective as they're all one lined paragraphs, and seem the type of thing to work well in a speech especially.

I no longer get nervous at concerts because I know that no matter how I do on this one,] there will be another- and I'll do better on that one.

I sort of rewrote the punctuation here as there were a few pauses that needed to be added in. Try and read your work aloud, it helps to stop pauses and such.

Now, I didn't actually get the type of thing this was. I thought initially that this was some sort of free speech on writing and what writing means to you, but then at the end when it says you recommend it, it felt more like a persuasive piece. If the case, there weren't that many persuasive elements in the rest of it, like rhetorical questions, emotive language, short snappy sentences, alliteration etc. And in either case, I'd really like to see more about what creative writing means to you personally. I mean it's definitely one of those things that's different for everyone, so what does it mean to you?

To sum up, this was an interesting piece on the topic of creative writing, and you say it improves your daily life and has points to back this up which works really well- and I never really thought of writing like that. I'd like to see a more personal touch to it, as in what does creative writing mean to you? And if it was supposed to be a persuasive piece, then more persuasive techniques in it! As always, I hope this review helped. Feel free to PM me with questions or if you thought I wasn't making sense anywhere, or if you'd like another review.

Just keep writing!
-Arc x

katefitz says...

This is a really thoughtful essay, I really like it! Your ability to condense your thoughts into short, concise paragraphs is great.

It would be great if you expanded some ideas just a little more - when you say that creative writing can help improve your daily life, you could include some examples. I know you included some personal examples, which really added to the essay, but I'd love to see just a couple more. Other than that, though, I really liked this, it was concise and packed a punch :)

WritingWolf says...

Thank you do much for taking the time to read my work. :D
When/if(I probably will but I'm not sure if I'll have time) I edit it I will definitely try to put more examples in it. I was just afraid of making it to long and boring my classmates. :)

Sapi wrote a review...

Hey there! I'll just put my comments in between the quoted paragraphs below...

"I've only ever heard of one hobby that you never stop learning how to do."

Well, okay, not entirely true, but works completely fine for the purpose of this essay. :P

"Creative writing is impossible to completely master, but you can get close, and trying to has so many benefits."

Short, concise, and to the point. I like what you're saying; it's entirely true, and good thing to tell your classmates. :)

"Creative writing can motivate you to learn new things, help with social skills, and even help you achieve a more relaxed lifestyle."

It's good that you're elaborating on the sentence before, but I feel like this statement is a little out of the blue. Maybe you could include an extra sentence after it to prove how it helps with these particular things?

"Many times you will find fiction writers learning to do new things. Like music, or programming, or about foreign cultures, or new languages, or anything else they may need. And that is why you can never completely master writing. Because to do so, you must learn about everything you may one day write about."

I like this paragraph. A well-put, justified statement is always good. I think this is a good insight, too, and put concisely, which is often difficult to do.

"I find that each time I write about human characters it helps me understand human nature just a little bit better. Always trying to decide if it seems right if this character does that, or if that character does this."

Indeed. A deep concept put into a few sentences. I admire your ability to compact.

"Which makes it easier to interact with the people around me, because I can guess at what they mean when they do whatever it is their doing that makes no sense, and how they expect me to respond to it."

Aha. Now here is your back-up, your justification, your proof. Very good example. I like it. :) One typo: 'whatever it is their doing' should be 'whatever it is they're doing'.

"A lot of writers tend to do this one very common exercise called free writing. The name pretty much explains it, they simply sit down and write whatever comes to mind. This is very challenging at first for most writers. The idea of not bothering with spelling or grammar, and simply writing whatever. Even if all they do is just list food items."

A good, descriptive paragraph. Personally, I think this part does not need as much description as certain other parts of your essay (like at the beginning), so maybe you could cut down on this paragraph and add more above...

"Sometimes this has an effect on their everyday lives. They will sometimes become a little more relaxed about things. For myself it shows in my music. I no longer get nervous at concerts because I know no matter how I do on this one there will be another, and I'll do better on that one."

Interesting! Wow, I really like this paragraph because of its message, and the well-put example.

"So I guess what I'm trying to say is that creative writing can help improve your daily life, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new hobby."

Very nice conclusion. All in all, it was a good essay, just a few tweaks to consider. Keep writing!

~Sapi

WritingWolf says...

Thank you so much for the review!

The one thing I don't under stand about what you said is how can the first thing you quoted not be true when the second thing you quoted is and there the same thing only said in different ways?

Other then that I found this a very motivating review. Thank you so much. :D

Hi Wolf, Niteowl here to review!

So I think this is pretty good for a speech. It's clear and to the point, which is good for a school assignment. You've provided some personal examples, which is also good. If you wanted, you could go further with this, like talking about the awesome characters you create or the plot of your novel. Of course, that might not work with a short time limit or with a school audience.

Another thing you could do is talk about famous writers that your classmates might like, such as JK Rowling or Suzanne Collins. Instead of just saying this:

Many times you will find fiction writers learning to do new things. Like music, or programming, or about foreign cultures, or new languages, or anything else they may need.
,

you could talk about something a famous author had to do or learn in order to be successful. Or if you know about some other writing-related quirk of theirs, that could go in here too.

Overall, I think this a solid, succint, scholastic speech. You could add more detail if you can fit it within the time limits. Good job and keep writing! :)

WritingWolf says...

Thanks. :)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:04 am
sbrannon4657 says...

Great job! Reading this is encouraging. It makes me want to write more! :)

WritingWolf says...

Thanks. :)

Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.
— Joseph Campbell