Young Writers Society

Reviewing Challenge: January 2021

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:38 am
View Likes
Atticus says...

JANUARY REVIEW CHALLENGE

Calling all valiant warriors of the Green Room! The Green Room has been in dire straits recently, so the wonderful @IcyFlame and I have concocted a challenge for those brave enough to participate in a competition that will test brain, body, heart, and soul.

Okay, that might be a little overdramatic. This competition is actually pretty simple. The goal is to earn the most points possible through reviewing in the month of January. The progress of this competition can easily be tracked through the monthly leaderboard, so any participant will be able to quickly see where they stand. There will also be weekly round-ups to spur our brave participants on towards victory!

The first-place winner will receive 2,000 points, 3 reviews on a piece of their choosing, and a haiku of their name! The runner-up will receive 1,000 points and 2 reviews on a piece of their choosing. The third-place competitor will receive 500 points and 1 review on a piece of their choosing.

Some pro tips:
  1. Reviewing a Green Room work will earn you an extra 25 points in addition to the points you earn from your review.
  2. Reviewing a work that's been in the Green Room for more than a month will earn you a total of 50 additional points (25 for reviewing a work in the Green Room, 25 for reviewing an old Green Room work).
  3. To earn the maximum number of points for your review, your review must be longer than 1,000 characters, or about 150 words.
  4. The January Review Day on the last Sunday of the month is an excellent opportunity to write some reviews and pull ahead!
  5. If you review chapters of the same novel, you can comment on aspects such as overall pacing, character progression, and plot development. Many novels have multiple chapters sitting in the Green Room. That's a wealth of points you can gain from just one novel!
  6. The YWS Knowledge Base has some great resources to help you as you write your reviews. Covering everything from Pro Review Tips to a complete guide to grammatical conventions, there's a wealth of knowledge contained within this forum.
  7. Still stuck? Try using one of these wonderful Review Templates to get you started.

Please feel welcome to ask any questions here or PM @Tuckster or @IcyFlame
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

154 Reviews

Reviews: 154
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:00 pm
View Likes
Zoom says...

Fantastic idea. I'll try to do my part. I checked the green room the other day and all but had a heart attack.

If anyone posts a 1st chapter of a novel then please tag me. I'll review basically any genre so long as it's fiction! (hopefully that will help keep green room numbers from going up)

-Zoom
he/his

4095 Reviews

Reviews: 4095
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:57 pm
View Likes
KateHardy says...

I'm going to try and take care of the short stories and novel chapters as best I can :D
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:05 am
View Likes
yosh says...

I can review poetry and short stories~

Yoshi's Review Requests

I'm open at all times!
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:12 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Week One

Congratulations to all on you for your outstanding reviewing so far! The Green Room count has gone down from 197 to 107 and it's all thanks to the commitment of our wonderful reviewers.

We've had a week of the January Challenge so far, and here are the scores as they stand:
In first place @HarryHardy with a whopping 3400 points! That's 27 reviews this month already.

Not too far behind we have @SpunkyKitty with 2948 points from 28 reviews, amazing work!

@IcyFlame is in third with 2038 points... wait, that's me! I know you can catch me up.

Other users in the top fifteen at the end of this week are @yumi @Vil @Tuckster @Plume @Yoshikrab @Zoom @SpiritedWolfe @ChesTacos @Liebensteiner @whatchamacallit @ImaginativeAlice @MissGangamash

So week one is over, but there's still plenty of time before the end of the January Review Challenge and it's all still to play for!

1485 Reviews

Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:55 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Week Two

We've already had two weeks of this challenge and so we're almost half way through the month! Let's take a look at who's topping our leader boards at the moment.

@HarryHardy is still in the lead with 4875 points! But @SpunkyKitty has done an equal amount of reviews and isn't too far behind.
@yumi is now in third place with @2442 points.

Our other members of the top fifteen this week are @Plume, @IcyFlame, @SpiritedWolfe, @SilverNight, @EtherealGarbage, @starlitmind & @whatchamacallit (who have the exact same amount of points!), @Vil, @mordax, @Yoshikrab, @Liebensteiner and @Tuckster. We've got some new people who've climbed up there since last week!

Fantastic work so far everyone! With the weekend coming up let's use these next two days to get even more works out of the green room and give our writers some wonderful reviews. Happy Friday!

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:27 pm
View Likes
Atticus says...

Week Three

This week was a huge week for all warriors of the Green Room! We surpassed our review counts for the months of December, November, and October by reaching 817 reviews! What's more, the Green Room has dwindled to 27 works with 0 reviews and 42 reviews with 1 review. Methinks we can clear that Green Room by the end of the month!

@HarryHardy is still firmly in the lead with 6025 points from 48 reviews, but @SpunkyKitty is giving Harry a run for his money with 47 reviews! @Plume rounds out our top 3 this month with 4075 points from 28 reviews. Other members of the top 15 this month are @SilverNight, @yumi, @SpiritedWolfe, @whatchamacallit, @starlitmind, @IcyFlame, @Yoshikrab, @EtherealGarbage, @Lunagirl, @Honora, @ChesTacos, and @Vil. Great work everyone!

This week, @SilverNight is on top with 1750 points from 12 reviews, but @ShadowVyper is close behind with 15 reviews worth 1636 points! Other members of the weekly leaderboard are @Plume, @Yoshikrab, @Honora, @whatchamacallit, @raindrops, @kryptonianmenace, @SpiritedWolfe, @HarryHardy, @Haileyg21, @starlitmind, @alliyah, @yumi, and @Em16.

Awesome work, reviewers! Don't forget about our January Review Day this Saturday/Sunday; participate in a fun Among-Us themed challenge while racking up points and clearing the Green Room! Keep your eye on the prize and keep up the awesome reviewing!
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

1485 Reviews

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:45 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Well folks the month is up! You've all done an incredible job of reviewing and we couldn't be more impressed <3

Stand by whilst @Tuckster and I tally up the scores, and then we'll be announcing our challenge winners!

1485 Reviews

Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:58 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

It's time to announce some winners!

We've had a wonderful month, culminating in the complete clearance of our lime Green Room! You've all done an amazing job and @Tuckster and I are blown away at some of the reviews we've seen in January!

But this was a contest, so that means we have winners:

In third place, with 6450 points..... @Plume!!!

In second place, with 7177 points..... @HarryHardy!!!

And beating Harry to the top spot by just over 200 points with a grand total of 7391 is the wonderful @SilverNight!!!

These are all amazing achievements, and we'll be organising your prizes asap. Congratulations everyone, and thanks for the dedication!

Icy & Tuck

453 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 453
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:03 pm
View Likes
Lib says...

Congratulations @SilverNight, @harryhardy and @Plume!! You guys did a fantastic job reviewing this month! <3 <3 :elephant:
*insert quirky signature here*

465 Reviews

Reviews: 465
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:05 pm
View Likes
starlitmind says...

CONGRATULATIONSSSSSSSSSSS EVERYONE!!!!! You guys are all so wonderful!!!! ^_^ <3 <3 <3 <3
.--. --- - .- - ---

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:22 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Congratulations, everyone! You all did amazing. :)
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:34 pm
View Likes
SilverNight says...

Awww, thank you all! @IcyFlame, @Tuckster, this was such a fun challenge-- thank you for organizing it! :) <3 <3 <3
"silv is obsessed with heists" ~Omni

"silv why didn't you tell me you were obsessed with heists I thought we were friends" ~Ace

"y’all we outnumber silver let’s overthrow her >:]" ~winter

silver (she/they)

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:40 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Congrats guys!!!! :DD <333 And another congrats to everyone who participated because the competition was stiff!

And a big big thank you to @IcyFlame and @Tuckster <3
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:30 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Huge congrats!!
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.
— Andrew Carnegie