Home » Literary works » Poetry » Narrative

12+

Revel And Dance (Dedicated to Bad Role Models)

by wtppowers

Poster child for your race.
Try to keep up, but I can’t keep pace.
You’re just so perfect, or so they say.
But really you’re about to fade away.
I just want to be on an equal level,
And to know that I’d have a chance.
Revel and Dance

They play favorites, oh yes they do.
They always did; they did it for you.
You see no evil, can do no harm;
You just have that unequal charm.
We’re all supposed to bow down.
But I refuse, I’d rather drown.

You can act, and you can sing.
Your smile blossoms before the spring.
Mrs. President, top of the class.
Miss goody-two-shoes can kiss my ass.
I know now I seem like the devil,
And maybe you’ll never take another glance.
Revel and Dance

I’m just tired of feeling abused,
Being ignored, and getting confused.
They all think you’re for real,
Little do they know how I feel.
Sizing you up and down with a bevel,
But if you were me, you’d have my stance.
Revel and Dance

Revel and Dance.

DeltaEcho wrote a review...

Hey there, wtppowers! First of all, wow. This poem is AMAZING. I have nothing bad to say about this, so here are some of my favorite lines (even though I love all of them). I also didn't do the cool quote thing because I have no idea how to.

3. "Poster child for your race.
Try to keep up, but I can’t keep pace."

2. "Sizing you up and down with a bevel,
Revel and Dance"

1. "Mrs. President, top of the class.
Miss goody-two-shoes can kiss my ass. "

So yeah, this is a great poem that I can't find anything wrong with. I give it a ten out of ten!

Hasta la vista,

DeltaEcho

wtppowers says...

Thanks! Be sure to give it a like!

Dracula wrote a review...

Okay so this all sounds perfect to me and I've got no idea about how I'm going to give you any sort of criticism, so I'll just skip to the praise and interpretations.

You’re just so perfect, or so they say.
But really you’re about to fade away.

This little bit brings to mind a lot of celebrities who have had their year of seemingly never ending fame. They impact so many young people (and maybe older people) then just fade away into the background. Or, instead of fading, they just ruin themselves. All these kids who worshipped them are left behind and some of them, just some, continue following their idol and ruin themselves too.

I’m just tired of feeling abused,
Being ignored, and getting confused.

Where the start of the poem had me thinking on a wider scale, now I'm getting the sense that this poem could be referring to certain 'populars' in the school yard. That's cool, your poem has started big and gone smaller and smaller until it really hits home. From celebrities to class captains.

I like it. :D

wtppowers says...

Thanks pal!

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:44 am
LanguidLiger wrote a review...

Wow! This is a poem that really conforms with my own outlook! Most of the powerhouses are either sociopaths or figurheads. They either dont know what theyre doing, or they know all to well. These people never work for us. The lesser and greater evil. The pawn and the player. It made my day to see this (: . This is a deep down to earth awaress that is rare. The idea that the poster child is really just a goalpost that keeps us running their way. "They did it for you". Is spot on in my mind. The mantra, revel and dance, was a solid inflection on ignorance. Well I bot sure about others but I didnt need a second glance. The message resonates. Keep up the good work (:

wtppowers says...

Thanks man! It means a lot to hear that. Be sure to give it a Like!

LanguidLiger says...

Sure thing

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
— Plato