z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

when the bees sleep

by waywardxwanderer


i carry her fragile life in my hands,

the words like bees in my brain,

their careless stingers strewn across

my daylily-hope and daisy-joy and soft-skinned mind.

these hands and too-long fingers made for reaching reaching reaching

now hold her fragile, this-side-up life

like a bee that won’t stop buzzing

till the winter comes.

the colony is kept alive by the warmth

of thousands of thrumming bodies,

a furnace of half-lived dreams

and hearth of half-hearted hope.

she will wake again next spring

and the melting frost will water the daylily-hope and the daisy-joy

and the sunlight will be warm enough for the bees to leave the hive

and this life i hold in my hands

will beat its wings again.

(A/N: My mother has since received surgery to remove the tumor, which was contained. She will be going through chemo to remove any last traces, but there is no longer a threat to her life


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 53
Reviews: 6

Donate
Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:00 am
EliseEllie wrote a review...



Hey! I read your poem like 3 times. I like the metaphor behind the poem also. Your poem is great and the style of your writing is great and overall this whole thing is great. I like that you can right and share about a hard time that you've had. I'm really glad there is no longer a threat to your mothers life and I hope everything is looking up for you guys.

-Ellie




User avatar
240 Reviews


Points: 16328
Reviews: 240

Donate
Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:05 pm
View Likes
AkuRashomon wrote a review...



Hey there! This is Ina aka loveissourgrapes and I am here to give your lovely poem a review/comment. It is good to know that your mother that no threat in her life. It is reassuring that she will live after all those surgery and chemo. I love your poems by the way. Bless your mother. I hope she is better.
The title "when the bees sleep" is a pretty metaphor. It is also very imaginary and heartfelt. You meant the bees represent her life, winter, I believe, represents her cancer and spring, like when she blooms and her sick heals. Spring is the season where winter goes away and the sun shines again.

"she will wake again next spring

and the melting frost will water the daylily-hope and the daisy-joy

and the sunlight will be warm enough for the bees to leave the hive

and this life i hold in my hands

will beat its wings again."

This is my favorite part. If my mom I would have thoughts like this too. I hope you and your mother are feeling better, emotionally and physically. Overall, writing wise, it was great and had metaphors I had to re-read again. Keep it up! Have a great day/night c:






thank you so much for the review!! you are so sweet (:



AkuRashomon says...


you're welcome and thank you too :>



User avatar
1228 Reviews


Points: 144000
Reviews: 1228

Donate
Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:37 am
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



Hi wayward,

I found this poem to be really impactful and had a lot of heart to it. Especially after reading I was very happy to hear your mother is doing better - and wishing you and her well in continued treatments. <3

The metaphor you use of the bee seems to be used in a few different ways throughout the poem -

The words, maybe related to diagnosis or conversations are like bees - seeming careless and pesky attacking hope and joy and fragile bodies.

Then life is described like a bee - determined, and busy until winter comes (wasn't quite clear to me if winter was a metaphor for - maybe illness?) - and then the life is kept alive by company, dreams, and hope - waking again in the spring (maybe a metaphor for healing). In the spring the hope, and joy come again and life will be thriving with the bee being able to easily fly again.

Very unique to use the bee in those different ways and I liked very much how you bookended the poem with the lines about "daylily-hope and daisy-joy" leaving then returning as it made the poem feel very complete at the end there.

I like the image of holding a bee - because it feels caring and gentle, and yet not what is intended for a bee to flourish.

It might be interesting to dig into the hive imagery a bit more, or even get a little technical about bees in the poem - but I do enjoy the different images that you use a lot and especially the sweep and conclusiveness of the poem.

I also enjoyed the incorporation of alliteration throughout too - it felt very natural and made the lines flow very nicely too.

I think one area that you might take a second look at is without the author's notes, I'm not entirely sure I'd associate this poem with illness of a loved-one, and I think in particular you might want to add a bit more detail or specificity to line two about "words" - "words" can go in so many different directions, so that feels quite vague and ambiguous which could set the reader off on assuming one thing about the poem, then reading forward and having their expectations changed multiple times. Maybe some clarity could be added there.

Another area I'd like to see a bit more in would be your images - right now the imagery you use feel very direct and to the point - which is okay here and there, but I think the poem would be lifted to the next level if you lingered on a few of those images and added a couple details to help readers visualize the scene you're writing -> like adding spice to your cooking. An example of where you might add more detail would be this line " kept alive by the warmth / of thousands of thrumming bodies" -> "kept alive by the desperate warmth of thousands of thrumming bodies; wings brushing close, hearts beating in united percussion" - throwing in something that paints an image I guess!

Overall, as I said this poem was thoughtful and heartfelt and I very much enjoyed reading it - thank you for sharing it. :) Hope this review was helpful!

alliyah

Image

Review Banner by Liminality






thank you so much for this review!! i'll definitely look into your points experiment (:



alliyah says...


You're very welcome!




Positive anything is better than negative nothing.
— Elbert Hubbard