z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Question Mark

by waywardxwanderer


I.

I’m not quite sure

Why it looks like that

II.

A cane, to reel me back in

To remind me that there are things

That I don’t know

III.

That I will never know

An endless abyss of questions

That none know the answer to

Will I ever be complete without the knowledge

I cannot have?

IV.

There it is again, that mark

That maddening figure of human limits

V.

That mockery of the smallness of my mind

VI.

But sometimes I must be content

VII.

And look at a flower without

Knowing its species or how it works

How the petals find themselves to be so beautiful

And sometimes knowing less is understanding more

VIII.

Contentedness can be found

In the ticks of time

The minutes that I find myself

Unwilling to name

IX.

Ignorance is bliss

X.

But ignorance is also hatred

XI.

The willing lack of knowledge can

Be harmful, can hurt

And sometimes ignorance is not bliss at all

But murder

XII.

Can completeness be found

Without a knowledge of everything?

XIII.

Some things are to be known

And some are not

But maybe I will try

To push my limits


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 1285
Reviews: 76

Donate
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:55 pm
View Likes
Phillauthet wrote a review...



Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review.

To me, this poem feels somehow inspiring. Especially that last part. It seems concluding, which is ironic, since you're writing about a question mark :D.
The fact that the number 13 is considered very unlucky by some, and quite lucky by some others, really relates to the theme of the poem. That confused feel...
Maybe it's just coincidental, but it's GOOD.

I like the new take on the 'ignorance is bliss' quote. (That's one of my favourite quotes, from one of my favourite movies :D)

Your word choice is perfection, delineated in lines like:

There it is again, that mark
That maddening figure of human limits

and
A cane, to reel me back in
To remind me that there are things
That I don’t know


In the 8th and 12th (hehe multiples of 4) parts, you say contentedness and completeness. I think contentment and completion would be better choices in those places, but that's up to you.

Overall, this was a great piece of work!

Keep Writing!!






Thanks for the review mate!



User avatar
66 Reviews


Points: 4785
Reviews: 66

Donate
Thu May 13, 2021 4:10 pm
View Likes
aooborromeo wrote a review...



Hi! It's me Via and I'm here for a review! So... let's get started.

POSITIVES:
How could I not like a poem that says in the description, inspired by aooborormeo's Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blank. My god, poets should always take inspiration from each other. Wow! I'm very flattered.

Seriously though, this is very good. I can tell that this poem might be somewhat rushed, but well thought out! I love the idea of using a question mark, to me that just speaks volumes of what ideas you want to explore as a poet and an artist.

I LOVE THIS STANZA, and I'm just saying that for the heck of it.

A cane, to reel me back in

To remind me that there are things

That I don’t know


This right here, is excellent! I love the exploration and play off the imagery of a question mark and bringing a more philosophical approach to it. Nice job on that!

and then, I don't often enjoy questions in poetry too much, but I like this here

Can completeness be found

Without a knowledge of everything?


Exploring the idea of knowledge and ignorance is something that many writers can relate to.

The broken concept of dividing IX and X, is a bit abrupt but it works well!

CRITIQUES:

My poem was very old and like yours, has some rhythmic issues. Just a little editing and experimenting on how to present your ideas will make this poem even better. Read your poem out loud, it helps spot those muddled sections.

I noticed you obviously kept question marks, but utilize periods to add more structure and emphasis to your poem. It would help with the flow of each section.

Auto capitalization is the bane of all poets. Lines that are a part of the same sentence don't all need to be capitalized. Just look at it.

This stanza:

And look at a flower without

Knowing its species or how it works

How the petals find themselves to be so beautiful

And sometimes knowing less is understanding more


I can see what you're trying to do here with the flower imagery. However, when it comes to writing imagery with a poem of this particular structure, while less is more, rhythm I think here and some rewriting will do this section some good.

Finally, this just might be me being picky, try to bold the roman numerals, makes it easier to read.

My biggest piece of advice that I got for my poem, was to edit and edit and edit! Try to keep exploring the question mark theme and write little stanzas. Then take them out, put them in, move it around. Experiment!

Overall, wonderful poem! I'm impressed! Keep on writing!






Thanks so much!! And yeah, I literally did not edit this I was just like yeah. Good enough. But I definitely will!



User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 287
Reviews: 65

Donate
Tue May 11, 2021 11:07 pm
View Likes
pineapple321 wrote a review...



Hi, Pineapple here for a little review!

Wow, I thought this was a really smart idea. The poem was so dramatic and could make the reader think. Who knew that a question mark could have so much behind it? I really liked the format of it as well. Instead of using regular numbers, you used Roman numerals.

I especially like the lines "Ignorance is bliss/But ignorance is also hatred." I really like the phrase "ignorance is bliss". And, yes, ignorance can also be hatred because deep down we're neglecting something.

Overall, amazing job. I enjoyed reading this. I hope you keep writing!

Signed,
Pineapple






thanks so much !!! ^_^




"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind