18+ Language Mature Content

Reflecting Hearts - Ch. 4.1 - Between Betrayal and Broken Brushes

by ariah347

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

Finally, the project reached a pivotal stage—the beta version on my screen before me, like a star ready to burst into full brilliance. The butterflies in my stomach swarmed as my finger hovered over the send button, hesitating to invite a select group of artists to explore it. As I clicked it, it felt like I was launching a satellite into space, waiting for a signal from the unknown. My heart raced in my chest as I watched the progress bar inch forward, line by painstaking line, showing it uploading.

Seconds turned to minutes, and I held my breath, anticipation curled up like a viper ready to strike. And then it happened. The first response popped up on my screen. It was live for a few artists to review, and they were interacting with it. A tiny notification indicating an email sat in the bottom left corner, waiting for me to open it and carrying the power to shape my future. I hesitated for a moment, fear and excitement warring. With a trembling click, I opened it, and a smile broke across my face as I read.

My arms stretched up triumphantly, and Emily came over to look.

“I did it!” I shrieked as she read over my shoulder.

The feedback was overwhelming, a tidal wave of positivity crashing over me. All the artists I had shared it with flooded the platform with their comments. They hailed it as innovative and fresh air in the stifling world of digital artistry. Some called it a game-changer, others a tool they would use daily.

Emily congratulated me, and we spent the evening celebrating with wine, rom-coms, and pizza.

When I awoke the next day, my project, once private, burst like a supernova. It spread across campus and turned from a small endeavor to a shared community experience. Artists created, collaborated, and connected, all within the digital realm I had constructed.

I pored over the notifications, content, and texts when Nadine walked in unannounced.

“Girrrrrrl! Some big-shot exec has heard about this!”

“What?” Emily proclaimed with a mouth full of toothpaste. Upon hearing our uninvited guest, she had come out of the bathroom, toothbrush in hand.

“I’m not kidding!” Nadine held her phone out to let me read an article featured on Synthosia’s student news site. The article talked about how an anonymous executive had heard local artists at a showing discussing the unnamed groundbreaking platform and was interested in how it could impact the industry.

As I read, my doubt and anxiety managed their persistent deducing. The project’s acclaim should have drowned them out, but my nitpicking fought with any success I achieved, wanting things to be perfect and feeling short of that. I doubted it could be of high status in the business realm.

When I finished reading, Emily snatched the phone from my hand, skimming through it.

“She’s right! But what does this mean?”

With a sigh, I stared out the window, feeling uncertain and not knowing what to say. “I don’t even have a name for it yet!”

“Why the fuck does that matter? Name or not, you have serious interest!” Nadine pushed Emily’s book pile from her bed, flopping to sit down.

“Hey!” Emily called, crossing her arms.

“What? It was a mess anyway!” Nadine stuck her tongue out.

Emily returned to the bathroom in a rush, always one to get ready at the last minute.

“I guess my father’s going to find out soon. Maybe I should go over there to talk,” I grumbled.

“Probably. Go show him who’s boss,” Nadine asserted, showing off her biceps. Her work in the gym had paid off. As she moved her arm up, her muscles flexed.

“You and I both know it isn’t me, but I guess it’s time to change that.” I approached the door with a mixture of anticipation and anxiety, my smile betraying my nerves.

As I made my way toward the mansion, my steps were heavy. Each pounded like my heart, hard and unrelenting. The thought of confronting my father and confessing how I would not do what he wanted was like standing on the precipice of a storm, uncertain of its intensity but knowing I had to weather it.

Upon entering the foyer, the frantic atmosphere that hung immediately struck me. Servants moved about, their faces etched with tension as they carried large trash bags.

Our butler, James, took my coat to hang up. The chilly autumn air that morning had made it necessary. A servant passed by with the trash bags, something particular in them catching my attention. I stopped dead in my tracks.

Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:59 pm
RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

Oooo, lots of excitement and high anticipation from this chapter! But at the same time, that eerie warning about her father, and that big cliffhanger, leave you shocked and as "dead in your tracks" as Abigail is. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

I have no recommendations to make this time! Good writing job ~

Why The Grin Widened...

First of all, great news!

The fact that Abigail's project is already drawing so much attention and praise not only sets high hopes for further success, but it really speaks to her wit and level of business knowledge. She may have been forced to learn it, she may hate it, but at least she's using it well and blending it with her passion. That's really cool to witness as this story goes on!

“Hey!” Emily called, crossing her arms.

Not much to say here, except that it made me chuckle. Nadine definitely sounds like the more mischievous member of the group, but I like it -those characters make things a lot more fun, haha.

Oooo, a bit os confidence from Abigail. I hope she keeps it, and I hope she uses it this time. And of course, I hope it pays off, but seeing how things have gone thus far, probably not...

A servant passed by with the trash bags, something particular in them catching my attention. I stopped dead in my tracks.

Oh man! As soon as you read "trash bags," and that immediate reaction, you just know what's coming next, or you at least have an idea. Yet I'm still cringing as I proceed to the next chapter. This is gonna be ugly, isn't it?

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, that a great chapter to amp things up and set the stage for something big and dramatic! Nicely done! :D

Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:09 am
22Midnight wrote a review...

Hi it's 22Midnight again
hope your doing well, let's get into it!

First Impression: it looks to me like she is finally going to be letting her wings spread in this chapter and all her dreams are finally coming true!!

yay! it's finally ready and she can show the world what she's been working so hard on, maybe Zeke can come and marvel at it too, but yes the anxiety of what other people will think of her project must be terrifying.

yes the waiting game like sitting there in a class room waiting for all your exam papers to be marked it's horrible, really felt the tension there and then it lifted, i so want to know what everyone is saying about it.

that's so awesome that she has achieved her goals finally, i've been crossing my fingers hoping that it would work and it did, but what will her dad think if he sees this he might get really mad but he should also see how talented his daughter is hopefully.

Emily is such a nice and supportive friend helping her when she is down and congratulating her on her successes, hopefully she didn't get to drunk that she has a headache the next morning.

XD Emily can't even finish brushing her teeth, hope this person isn't a jerk that's going to be there to break everything apart, Nadine why did you have to ruin the celebration don't worry it's okay the book need Drama.

Shame i hope this doesn't mean that she has to take her project down or something, i'm already so worried and I don't know what the person said.

“She’s right! But what does this mean?”

Aww Nadine's that friend that's going to jump in and get mad for you while Emily might give you just an outing to make you feeling better and distract you from it, Abigail didn't have much time to relish in her triumph that's for sure.

“Hey!” Emily called, crossing her arms.

XD Emily being upset about her books turned on her get ready quick super power, and Nadine's ready to punch someone, and WHAT no don't talk to your dad i'm kind of looking forward to meeting this guy properly though so yeah got talk to him.

my heart is pounding because I am so nerves for her right now i really hope that it actually ends up going really well, i mean she did something amazing didn't she he should be proud of it. *bites lip*crosses fingers*

OMG servants and everything that's fancy, what is it what is it aww man way to leave it on a brilliant cliffhanger I so want to know what's in the trash, maybe her mom killed her dad that would be a cleshay, that I've read about before.

Overall: i really like how short these chapters are it makes it easier to get through them and actually focus, brilliant way to end on a cliffhanger can't wait to read the next chapter that you have written.[/quote]

anyway that's it from me

hope you have a great dawn/dusk/midnight

See Ya

I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.
— Markus Zusak, The Book Thief