18+ Language Mature Content

Reflecting Hearts - Ch. 3.3 - Between Ties that Bind and Ties that Free

by ariah347

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

Upon returning to campus, the sky had turned deep purple and indigo. Stars twinkled above as thoughts of Zeke crossed my mind, wondering if he gazed at the moon as well. Shaking my head, I dismissed the notion as quickly as it came.

Back in our room, I placed my sketchbook on my desk and lay on my bed, removing my shoes and putting them neatly away, contemplating the events happening in my life.

“You okay?” Emily came out of the bathroom.

I looked up and offered a reassuring smile, but knew it was not convincing. “Yeah, I’m just processing everything. These first few weeks have been crazy.”

She sat down beside me on my bed. “I'll be here no matter what. Don't hurry, there's no rush to figure everything out. Graduation isn’t tomorrow. You have time.”

I considered her words and knew she was right, but my anxiety would not let me listen. Happiness was a journey, not a destination, and I didn't need all the answers then, but in the end, it was not that simple.

As we got ready for bed, the soft glow of fairy lights surrounded our room. She quickly fell asleep, leaving me alone, wide awake. My mind wandered to a memory from freshman year with Jake. I opted for a floor-length dress for the ball that night. Crafted from the finest silk, the dress bodice was a deep navy blue. It seemed to shimmer as it wrapped around my upper body like a second skin. Delicate lace with intricate patterns danced up the shoulders and back. The skirt flowed gracefully from the cinched waist, cascading like paint running down a canvas. I twirled in front of the mirror, feeling like a fairy tale character.

Twinkling lights and colorful balloons decorated the auditorium beautifully. Plush, velvet-upholstered seats lined the room, forming a semicircle around a gleaming dance floor, its surface reflecting the lights like polished glass. Elaborate golden drapes framed the stage, adding a touch of old-world charm to the enchanting setting. As the slow songs played, couples huddled together, their movements filling the air with romance. While they were affectionally touching each other, we swayed diplomatically, our movements stiff and hands positioned in areas usually reserved for someone friend-zoned. We were together for a few years, sometimes intimate but not comfortable showing affection in public.

We briefly stepped out into the courtyard, away from the crowd. I remember the soft, warm breeze caressing my cheeks and the muddled sound of pop music. He put his arm around me, drawing me closer to him. Instead of feeling romantic and loving, it felt routine and safe. He leaned in to kiss me, and although it was a sweet gesture, it lacked any spark. While I enjoyed my time with him, I couldn't help but feel jealous of other couples with better chemistry. A fairytale-like night, devoid of magic. The memories made me aware of the mechanical nature of our relationship interactions. We had a great friendship, but even our sex was formal.

In bed, my mind wandered to Zeke, envisioning a passionate moment between us. Had I yet to feel a depth of emotion beyond what I knew? The memory of Jake’s gentle kiss lingered in my mind, and I compared it to the potential of Zeke. With him, there was an element of magic simply from talking to him. His interest in art was a level of connection I had not experienced with anyone. The idea of hurting Jake stopped my fantasizing, and I forced myself to let any desire go. I shook my head, rolling over one way before moving back the other way. Zeke intrigued me solely because he was off-limits. My father would have an absolute fit if I were to date someone like him.

Emily’s soft voice interrupted my thoughts. “Can’t sleep?”

I turned to face her, pulling my blanket to my chest. “Yeah, I’m just lost in thought.”

She gave me a knowing look over her shoulder. “What is it?”

A wash of rosy tint spread on my face, coloring me embarrassed. “I don’t know. Everything. It’s all so complicated.”

Emily rolled over to face me completely. “Like I said before, do what you want. Don't waste time pondering 'what if.’ Being together for a while doesn't justify staying in a relationship.”

She let out a long yawn. Of course, she knew the roots of my madness and thoughts without me saying so. I sighed, knowing I was being unfair to Jake. I could not keep stringing him along.

“You’re right…”

“Duh, I’m always right! I’m also exhausted, so get some sleep. Good night, Abbykins!”

I giggled at her silly nickname, allowing only her to call me that. We drifted asleep, and I dreamed about Zeke: we were in a rowboat, shimmering fireflies around us, as he pulled me into a deep kiss.

The image haunted me in the morning, melancholy settling in. I needed to talk to Jake when I got the nerve to. I could not keep avoiding my feelings. As I sat up, stretching my arms, my mind returned to Zeke. I wondered what he was doing then and if he was thinking about me as much as I was about him. Trying to rid myself of the images, I resorted to rubbing my hands on my temples. I couldn't possibly do that to myself. He was nothing but trouble. Perhaps I was destined to be alone.

Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:43 pm
RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

This chapter gave us a nice moment of deep contemplation and a glimpse into Abigail's existing relationship, and her -for lack of a better word- lackluster connection to Jake. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

I have no recommendations to make this time! Good writing job ~

Why The Grin Widened...

Ooo, so Zeke is even creeping into her casual thoughts now? Interesting, indeed...(00 )

Excellent point by Emily! Procrastination is a negative quality, but rushing the process can be just as bad!

Instead of feeling romantic and loving, it felt routine and safe.

Well that's a good way of summarizing everything we understand about her relationship with Jake thus far. Like, I would feel bad for Jake if she dumped him, and it does seem like she has some level of care for him, but at the same time, guys...there is clearly a rift here, haha. But I feel like Zeke also carries risk because...

Zeke intrigued me solely because he was off-limits. My father would have an absolute fit if I were to date someone like him.

Yes, risk in the sense that her father won't approve, but also risk in the sense of that being the only reason she's interested, as she just explained. So these talks of dumping? Yeah, definitely have me imagining a lot of drama for now, haha.

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, I enjoyed this shorter, contemplative chapter! Nicely done! :D

Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:11 am
22Midnight wrote a review...

Hi it's 22Midnight again
hope your doing well, let's get into it!

First Impression: I take it this is a chapter that is going to embrace her thought on her life but process her feelings even more to understand who she truly is and who she really want to be in the future, despite what her dad wants and expects from her.

she is starting to wonder what his doing that's a deep crush she has right there know doubt, hmm that's sure a lot of events to contemplate don't get a headache.

a good friend can see there is something wrong, a best friend noes when your lying and noes what to say, yep life decisions need time and this is a good way of showing that but also showing how stressful things can get when trying to make those decisions.

Remember Abigail taking the time to find answers is better then rushing to them and in the end not having any answers at all that make sense.

That sounds so beautiful a perfect dress but was it a perfect night, was Jake there to hold her hand and listen to her worries. Maybe he did back then but since his got older his become more arrogant and less likely to listen to her.

Wow I thought she was a *whispers* virgin I guess she isn't as innocent as I thought, maybe that might be something I missed in earlier chapters. sometimes a friendship is never meant to turn in to a relationship yet it does sometimes, also you're first crush and date doesn't always work out either its a long road to success.

No don't tell yourself that Jake isn't good for you and you shouldn't be with him if your not feeling anything that you know your supposed to, also that can be true but off-limits doesn't always make you feel stuff like that. Stop telling yourself things that aren't true and break up with Jake already! but I can understand why your struggling to do this none the less.

here comes the room mate now who is sick and tired of being kept awake just because of the other persons thoughts, but still she's not just telling her to go to bed yet she is talking to her trying to put her mind to rest.

“You’re right…”

Yes yes Emily tell her to break up with him or work things out with him, Abigail was that a yes to finally excepting that it's over with him i'm hoping so cause then you can start out new with someone who understand you better. Also XD Abbykins this made me laugh so hard, that is a good nickname for her

Now she is dreaming about him, oh dear who obsession is worse then a thought, this is why you don't think about these things before you go to sleep it creates nightmares

she is going to need time to recover after breaking up with Jake it's still going to be a hard thing to except because a long time relationship is over. But still you not supposed to be alone I don't think Zeke is trouble, i just think you've had a lot of bad men in your life like your father and now all of them are dangers to you which makes sense.

Overall: I loved reading this chapter it was a calm chapter but really brought me some insight on what the character was feeling at the time and the troubles that she is currently going though, and how confusing it is to figure things out with what she want's and what she thinks is better for her.

anyway that's it from me

hope you have a great dawn/dusk/midnight

See Ya

If you don't sign up for a review team, you're basically saying you're okay with canine amphibian metamorphosis.
— Nate