18+ Language Mature Content

Reflecting Hearts - Ch. 8 - Scattered Cards

by ariah347

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

The next evening, I headed for the library as we had planned. It was unusually empty, with few students whispering as they studied. I stood behind Abigail, hidden among the towering bookshelves. Seated at a table, surrounded by note cards, a computer, and books, she appeared engrossed and frustrated. Her fingers flipped through the cards as she muttered something to herself.

She was like a breathing personification of dedication and intellect. She carefully examined every card with her eyes. Her lips occasionally moved as she silently mouthed the words written on the card.

Her hair, cascading down her back like a flowing waterfall, seemed to absorb the soft glow of the reading lamps. Her hair was a photographer's dream, with each strand an artistic marvel in the ideal lighting.

I watched her from a distance, amused by her fussiness. Despite being fully aware of her hard work, I couldn't resist the opportunity to have a little fun and tease her. I sauntered to the table, letting out a chuckle.

She didn't glance at me as I approached. "Having some trouble there, Princess Abbie?" I snatched one of the note cards from her stack, sensing she didn't like to be called Princess or Abbie as much as I didn't like to be called Ezekiel.

"Hey!" she protested, stretching across the table to reach for the card. I extended up my arm and held it out of her reach.

My eyes leisurely roamed down her figure, lingering as I took her in. Her short stature, compared to my height, made me have to bend over a little. She embraced a full, curvy physique, confident. Wouldn't they label it as an hourglass or some shit like that? Amidst the crowd of girls who tended to be sickly thin, she stood out in a way that demanded attention. I diverted back to the cards, grabbing more. She stumbled around the table as she attempted to collect them from my hands. I let her touch the stack's tip before tossing another onto the ground.

Another 'hey' and 'stop' escaped her lips as she tried to catch the fallen note. Undeterred, I maintained the distance, knowing my teasing only added to our growing tension. I savored the sight of her, and she cleared her throat. My eyes on her made her nervous, and I fucking loved it, but she regained her focus on reaching as high as she could.

"You look tense. Let me help you relax." I took another note card and twirled it between my fingers. I moved around the table, and she followed, determined to retrieve her work.

Her frustration had subtleties of amusement as she watched me, trying to keep a straight face; her pace slowed, and she didn't follow. "Give them back, Zeke. I need to finish this."

Like, I'll give up that easily? Ha! I moved the cards out of her reach each time she tried to grab them. "Not until you take a break. You're doing too much."

With every passing moment, our fight brought us closer together. Abigail's irritation melted away with giggles. I knew I was unlike anyone she had ever met, and her hastened breathing told me she enjoyed this more than we would admit.

As our bodies hovered, I tossed the cards recklessly across the table. With our lips only inches apart, her breathing shallow and quick, and our eye contact unyielding, I took her by the waist and pulled her close before I could stop myself. Her breath caught in her throat as our bodies pressed against each other.

"Enough work for now." As my hands met her waist, my voice lowered to a mere whisper. "Let's take a break, shall we?"

Without hesitation, I closed the remaining gap between us, and my lips met hers. I lost myself in her mouth, an irresistible sensation filling me. Our embrace was full of heat, leaving us both breathless as we pulled away. With eyes locked, her fingers caressed the back of my neck. Her lips were so irresistible that I couldn't resist leaning in once more for a kiss filled with eager passion and undeniable desire.

I forced myself to pull away again, my breath slightly uneven. "How was that for a break?"

What the fuck was I doing? This wasn't me. I was losing myself in her. I couldn't let this happen, trying to remember that it was a fucking bomb waiting to explode. Yet, upon a second glance, I only wanted to close the distance separating us. Her eyes held me hostage, capturing the essence of nature itself with their shifting colors. We stared at each other, our breathing slowing. She sparkled with an inner light, defiant, and had a spirit that no camera could truly capture as much as I wished to. Shit, I was in over my head, unsure if I was diving or drowning.

Her lips, a rosy shade, bore a darker hue that spoke of our embrace, of the passion we shared. They begged to be kissed, to be celebrated with lips that worshiped them.

As I stared at her, I appreciated the photographic perfection before me. She was a subject worthy of a thousand frames, each capturing a different facet of her beauty. And yet, despite the small distance between us, I yearned to feel her, to capture her essence how no camera ever could.

"I should get back to work." With a flushed face, she bent over to gather the cards that were scattered on the floor. I began helping her gather them, handing them to her as she sat back down.

"I'll be here whenever you need another break." With a wink, I took a seat across from her. I shook my head; I shouldn't have kissed her. Or maybe I should have? No, I was an asshole, but not that bad, and I knew better. 

Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:26 pm
RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

And it finally happened! After a moment of mild irritation, fading to fun and games, the repressed emotions finally break loose and -and least on Zeke's end- completely override any doubt. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

Once again, I don't really have any recommendations to make!

Why The Grin Widened...

This is something I've noticed many times throughout the book, but I don't know if/how often I've remarked on it:

Your descriptions are so beautiful and poetic, and from this perspective -with these specific words- I feel like it gives us glimpses into the more artistic side of Zeke and his medium, instead of just his "bad street boy" personality.

I snatched one of the note cards from her stack, sensing she didn't like to be called Princess or Abbie as much as I didn't like to be called Ezekiel.

Oooo, I like the way you framed the name-calling here. This feels like it's taking something familiar and a point of conflict between the characters, and turning them into a little game with very tsundere vibes. Speaking of games, the keep-away moment with Abigail's cards was super cute and funny. Very cool ~

She embraced a full, curvy physique, confident. Wouldn't they label it as an hourglass or some shit like that?

This was funny to me, because it's a good description told through that sort of "butch" perspective and lack of familiarity with fashion and beauty terms, haha.

Okay, just had to say it, this was too cute. And as I suspected with the turning of these frustrating antics into a game, it seems like Abigail is enjoying it for sure, and it makes me wonder what this looks like through her own perspective. Is she genuinely enjoying this? Is she thinking along the same terms as Zeke? Ooo...

Without hesitation, I closed the remaining gap between us, and my lips met hers.

WOAH! Already?! And Abigail isn't fighting it at all? I guess this really was a date then, haha...But Abigail is still with Jake, isn't he? Ooo, if word gets out or something, or she decides to cut the cord because of this, I wonder what kind of drama will be stirred up then. Especially since Zeke is still trying so hard to resist and deny, and play that heartbreaker role (00 )

I was in over my head, unsure if I was diving or drowning.

Yet another great line! I love the way you put this!

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, yet another awesome chapter! Nicely done! :D

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann