z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Lemons & Moon Phases

by ariah347


"The early bird gets the worm," they say. But who wants worms at the break of day?

"A penny saved is a penny earned," they decree. Yet the cost of living’s as high as can be.

If every cloud has a silver lining and late is better than never, 

Then why chase the dawn? Night's embrace can be just as clever.

"Make your own luck," the wise chime, Then why hurry the sunrise? Life unfolds in its own time.

"When life gives you lemons" and other phrases, echoes of all the moon's phases.

But fortune cookie proverbs don't make wishes come true, really ever, 

It is the hands of the clock that map out the ripples of each endeavor. 

"Haste makes waste," the sayings go, but knowledge isn't always what you know.

Wisdom can't quantify words that are read or reverberate adages from the dead.

"Rome wasn't built in a day" and "When in Rome do as the Romans do"

As the seconds pass, what you do with life and all its worth is up to you.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 31
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:39 pm
View Likes
Semicolon wrote a review...



Hello! I'm Ava
I came across your poem and I couldn't help but write a review because this is so beautifully written!!
I'm kind of going through a hard time and getting confused with the decisions I made. I was almost convinced that I had made a mistake but reading your poem gave me hope again.

The use of words and and incorporating the accurate sayings perfectly into a piece of literature and making it so wisely meaningful was brilliant. I could see that you put a lot of thought into this piece.
What really caught my attention was how you justified how most outcomes of our deeds are because of us realistically contrasting the sayings. Last two lines just left me in awe. The entire piece is powerful enough to make a indecisive person believe in what he's doing.


Thank you again for this beautiful piece :D
Have a great day!




User avatar


Points: 90
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:46 am
View Likes
mayaura says...



This is such a lovely piece of writing it is taking what we have heard throughout life and questioning and spiting them. Taking life in your grasp and truly realizing fate is in your hands.




User avatar
238 Reviews


Points: 41637
Reviews: 238

Donate
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 pm
View Likes
RavenAkuma wrote a review...



Hello, My Friend!

This is a fascinating bit of poetry. It feels like a clash of old and modern wisdom, a challenge to the "all-encompassing" treatment that so many of the old adages are treated with. A contrast between what you can control in your life, like determination and knowing when to act, to what can't be controlled, such as time itself and even the elusive concept of luck.

*ahem as for a more technical review, I have nothing to complain about. I love your rhyme scheme, and everything is very well-written. Great work there ~

It would be hard to choose a favorite line, but if I had to...

But fortune cookie proverbs don't make wishes come true, really ever,

It is the hands of the clock that map out the ripples of each endeavor.


These are just great lines, and again, highlight the contrast between something human-made with something more universal. Time is certainly a lot more powerful than a slip of paper, regardless of what it says. And of course...

As the seconds pass, what you do with life and all its worth is up to you.


That was a great way to finish tying the themes together and wrap it all up into one brilliant message.

Overall, this was awesome! Nicely done! :D

Image




User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 731
Reviews: 20

Donate
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:03 am
View Likes
KaavyaK wrote a review...



A really awesome poem written by the author.

"Wisdom can't quantify words that are read or reverberate adages from the dead.
"Rome wasn't built in a day" and "When in Rome do as the Romans do"
As the seconds pass, what you do with life and all its worth is up to you."
The three last lines are the most powerful lines of this poem. This shows how practical and mature the author is regarding his/her life. I love the rhyme scheme of this poem.

It is true, what you do with your life is in your hands. Everybody gets a life but there are only a few who know how to use it properly, we all can get into that list of a few but "No pain, no gain".

Nice work, keep it up.
Waiting for more.
Thank you.





You have been de-shenaniganed.
— WaffleCat