Never Enough (Knowledge) To Go Around

by TheSilverFox

Hammers engraved in slander,
By depraved fear made,
Does not mix well with the glass
That falls on the cat,
Who runs away from my arms,
My pathetic attempt to help,
Tail tucked between its legs.

Then watch, as uncle has come,
To see him tell the kids how
Their generation is Murphy's Law's progeny,
Ignoring his own contributions,
Which come in the form of his creation,
Of his many participation awards.

The walls are spray-painted
With worried words of love,
Preaching how those stranded by hate
Are but rabid dogs disguised as docile sheep,
Unable and unworthy of adoption,
Certainly too vile to be saved.

Now, somehow, I must sit down
On a rough cement floor,
As far from the door as possible
To avoid being struck myself,
Wondering why the fact stands that
It is so easy to blame others
And take your mind away from the fact
That you are holding the aerosol can
And the kids are patching up the windows
With all the wet cardboard
Found lying lonely on the ground;
They cannot find anything else
To fill the gap.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:22 am
InfiniteRectangles wrote a review...

Hello, InfiniteRectangles here. Happy Review Day!

Okay, I'll start with the things I liked. I really liked the rhythm and flow of this poem. I didn't find any instances of flow interruption, which is great because I almost always find flow interruption in at least a couple of lines. I loved the way this poem ended. It was very effective at getting your point across and I liked the finality of it. Some ending don't really feel like endings, but yours did so kudos to you!

Now let's get to the nit-picking. In the beginning I felt like you over-punctuated. You have commas after lines where they aren't necessarily needed.

"Hammers engraved in slander,
By depraved fear made,
Does not mix well with the glass
That falls on the cat,
Who runs away from my arms,
My pathetic attempt to help,
Tail tucked between its legs."

There were a lot of commas here and to me they didn't really seem necessary. My suggestion to help with this is to set up your punctuation the same way you would when writing prose.

The next thing I wanted to point out was that sometimes your poem sounded a bit forced. It seemed like you were trying a bit too hard to be poetic, almost to the point where it was like you were showing off. That isn't the way you want your readers to feel. You definitely don't want your readers thinking you're arrogant. It also sounded like you were trying to hard to make this into satire. Great satire rolls off the tongue naturally and doesn't feel forced. Also, I know you labeled this as satire, but it doesn't strike me as very satirical. There were some satire elements in this piece, definitely, but it just didn't feel much like satire.

Anyway, that's all I have for you. Keep writing and have a wonderful day/night!

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:56 am
Rook wrote a review...

Hiya!

This is pretty good. I especially like the ending with the gap. That hit pretty hard and was really effective.

There are some things I'm not as fond of though. This poem strikes me as a little preachy. It's not bad enough that you have to change it, but the lines that are the biggest offenders to me are:

Wondering why the fact stands that
It is so easy to blame others

and
With worried words of love,
Preaching how those stranded by hate
Unable and unworthy of adoption,
Certainly too vile to be saved.

Also, this poem sort of sounded to me like you were trying to be poetic. Again, it's not bad enough to need to change anything, but that's another feeling that you don't want to give your audience. I think the first and second stanzas are the worst offenders here, but again, I also sort of like them so it's up to you. If you get this feeling too and you think you know what might be causing it, go for it! But don't just delete your stanzas, because there are definitely good things about them too! Actually, I think the biggest offender is the very beginning, the first three lines. They read awkwardly and like you're trying to be poetic. Like, what do you mean "engraved in slander?" and "by depraved fear made" just sounds archaic. Def change the second line.

Okay, otherwise, this was pretty good. There are some grammar problems though, especially with punctuation. I always suggest punctuating like you're writing prose. Tell me if this is the correct grammar:

Hammers engraved in slander, by depraved fear made, does not mix well with the glass that falls on the cat, who runs away from my arms, my pathetic attempt to help, tail tucked between its legs.

Lots of comma splices, and you got some plurals wrong. it should be "do not mix well" because there's more than one hammer. Also: is the glass falling on the cat, or does it fall on the cat to mix well with glass, as in like, a responsibility? This is what happens when your grammar is unreliable. We get questions like this.

I think that's pretty much it! This was a pretty solid poem and it came across pretty clearly what you were trying to say. I like the tone of it.
Great job; keep writing!
~fortis

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:26 am
seaoflove says...

I like your use of language and your vocabulary. This is good and decently written. I'm a new writer here so I can say your better than me. But it my perspective this work is good. :)

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:04 am

Hi jessiebear here to review your poem.

TheSilverFox I loved the poem just I think I could do with a little more fixing up. And I dos not want this to sound rood.
What I liked about this poem is to me it was relaxing and gentile.

What I think needs to be fixed is the fall stops. And maybe a little bit more feeling. But over all I love the poem.

Once you have people's attention, you have a greater responsibility to tell them something of value.
— Tobias Forge (Ghost B.C.)