z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Ireland Calls Me Home

by TheSilentBagpipe


Once upon a dream,
The old castles of Ireland will call me home.
Upon the fields and mountains I will roam.
Wild and free,
I will be.
Once upon a dream,
I will walk among the buildings that gleam.
I will dip my feet in a cold stream.
My body, and the land of my heart,
Will never more be apart.
Once upon a dream.

Once upon a day,
I will walk among the people of Bray.
I will listen and learn the language that they say,
Once upon a day.
When the sky is hidden behind a mask of gray,
When the sun has yet to shine its bright ray,
I will walk among the people of Bray.

Once upon another life,
I will walk in the land and feel my ancestors strife.
A feeling of home will wash over me,
I shall feel their emotions, their longing to be free.
I shall walk among the homes of people whose blood was shed,
I shall walk in the fields that long ago were stained red.
I will hold the earth in the palm of my hand,
And breath a prayer of thanks to the men and woman who died for my land.
A beer for those whose hearts were tied to the sand,
A beer for those who fought and died for Ireland.

~Selina

Authors Note - I know this is my second poem on Ireland, but I like writing about things I feel passionate about. Which is horses and Ireland xD If you have the same interests, feel free to pm me =P <3

P.S. - I am not sure about the tittle, if you have suggestions I'd love to hear them!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Sun May 31, 2015 3:16 pm
erilea wrote a review...



Hey, TheSilentBagpipe! Wise here to review.
Wow, I don't really have much to say. This was a really good poem, and I have nothing to change about this. I can't relate, because I'm not really into Ireland and all that, but from this I can tell you really feel passionate about your country. Nice job!
As for suggestions on the title, maybe "My Home of Ireland"? I really don't know, I suck at titles and I encourage you not to take my idea but someone else's.
Good work! Nice piece. Happy writing!

-wisegirl22
(Team Wizards!)






Thank you so much wisegirl22!! Your review made me smile =)



erilea says...


The pleasure is mine, Lady Bagpipes.





LoL



Random avatar

Points: 287
Reviews: 5

Donate
Sat May 23, 2015 9:51 pm
afulcher wrote a review...



CelticThunder1438

I loved your poem. It's amazing how you personified Ireland. For example, when you use the castles to call the speaker home it reminds me of a romantic relationship for some reason. No matter how far the speaker and Ireland are from each other, there appears to exist a certain unbreakable connection that acts like a metaphorical magnet. The feeling of intimacy heightens when the speaker references their body and the land seemingly becoming one. Ireland also has the qualities of a parental type relationship with the speaker because it is a source of learning as displayed with the languages of the people of Bray. I also took Ireland to represent a sense of kinship or community for the speaker as their desire to walk among the people of Bray suggests that they share a closer bond. When you mention the ancestors as well it's as if Ireland encompasses all of the important characteristics of relationships that people desire with other people but it is precisely because Ireland is not merely a person that it can provide a relationship that seems more complete in nature than the speaker could possibly have with a single person. Great poem!






Thank you so much, your words made me smile! I appreciate your comment, and I love the way you saw my poem. What I was aiming for, thank you so much!



User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 4392
Reviews: 65

Donate
Fri May 22, 2015 11:39 pm
EccentricRose wrote a review...



Hey Sista!

This is one of my favorite poems that you've shown me. <3 It is beautiful and brings me back to the ancient times where cobblestone and swords was the norm.

I like how you went from "dream", to "day", and then "life". I also like how you weaseled Bray into the poem; what a place! ;) It isn't far from Dublin, right? And it's a very beautiful part of Ireland!

This is my favorite part of the poem:

"I shall walk among the homes of people whose blood was shed,
I shall walk in the fields that long ago were stained red.
I will hold the earth in the palm of my hand,
And breath a prayer of thanks to the men and woman who died for my land. "

I can feel the passion for Ireland in the very poem. Great job!

~Rose






Thank you Rosie! I had to put something of Neil into the poem, eh? Plus Bray rhymes with a ton of stuff so it worked xD




The heavens laugh with you in your jubilee; my heart is at your festival.
— William Shakespeare