The real Dr. Who?

by TakeThatYouFiend

You were the real Doctor,

I can tell from how you act,

and the way you fight the baddies,

with intelligence and tact.

-

Who cares if perhaps this year

the TARDIS is pale green,

or the outside's made from bits of wood,

with small gaps in between.

-

You were the real Doctor,

because you could make mistakes,

your character was flawed

despite your scarlet cape.

-

You were the real Doctor,

you were the number three.

Tom Baker; good, but not the same,

you can't beat John Pertwee.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:12 pm
Radrook wrote a review...

Radrook here a once again to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if i offend. It isn’t my intention.
Please feel full free to cast aside all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure its true by being extra careful.

That having been said:

Thanks for sharing this poem about the third doctor in the Dr. Who TV series. The very skillful rhyming alone was enough to keep me reading. I like how you tell us that the props and any special effects are secondary to the Doctor's personality which in this case proved far more prone to make mistakes ad the way he used tact and displayed intelligence. Of course we know that by "real" you mean the most convincing of them all.

That is a good point since any superheroes who is too perfect will become boring. We want to identify with a character and we have flaws. So a totally perfect character incapable of mistakes creates a distance.

That's one of the reasons why people began shifting from DC comics to Marvel. DC comic superheroes were just too perfect while Marvel heroes were far more down to Earthy.

suggestion

[Y]our character was flawed, . . .
[Y]ou were the number three.

Looking forward to reading more of your work.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:10 pm

Doctor Who poem!? Awesome!

Big plus, this poem rhymes

I'm honored that people like you stand up for the classic doctors.

The mellifluous flow of the poem really gives a storybook feel, like perhaps its a nod back to watching the show as a child? Either way I hope that you put up more poems like this

Enjoyed
-Oracle

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:28 pm
Nightshade27 wrote a review...

I love this poem. I’m a pretty big Doctor Who fan and when I stumbled on this I honestly couldn't have been happier. It was cute, quirky, and nostalgic. It’s very different from the serious sad poetry I've been reading but hey that’s a good thing. In the end I loved it quite a lot. Thanks for my daily dose of Dr. Who.

Booshian wrote a review...

This is my favorite poem I have stumbled upon here as of late. It is so simple and nostalgic, an account of childhood heroes and how influential they are. In terms of style, I found your rhyming scheme very attractive and provided the poem with a lyrical flow. It's a sweet little childlike poem you can take at face value, it doesn't leave room for layers of in depth analysis but that's the beauty in it I suppose. Your imagery in the second stanza stands out and is vivid you implemented this well.
Over all really lovely poem thoroughly enjoyed it!

Many thanks :)

Booshian says...

No problemo mi amigo :)

cleverclogs wrote a review...

Hello again, fellow Whovian! Happy review day!

Yay, Doctor Who poetry! I don't see much poetic fanfiction, so I read it whenever I get the chance.

I see this as a heartfelt fangirl/boy message to your favorite Doctor, and it totally works. It was short and sweet and made me smile. It's obvious how much you loved Pertwee's Doctor. I haven't seen many episodes with him, but I've gotten a good impression of him from the few that I have watched. And I love how you point out that the Doctor is the Doctor because he's flawed, but he always tries to think things through instead of just blowing stuff up like some other heroes might. That's totally true. The only thing I disagree with in this poem is that the TARDIS can never be green. It always has been and always will be blue. :)

Great job, and keep on writing!

No-sorry there really obscure reference. You see in the black and white episodes theypainted the Iinside pale green because it came out really bright white in black and white. When they changed to colour in early Pertwees they didn't repaint it straight away :-)

cleverclogs says...

Sorry, I didn't know! :)

Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:25 am
BitterRosemary wrote a review...

Hey! BitterRosemary here to give you a review. Let's get started.

First things first.
OH MY GOD FELLOW WHOVIAN HEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :) :) :)

I've actually never met anyone who has Pertwee as their favorite. The vast majority say Tennant (my personal fave) or Smith, then Eccleson, then Baker, then younger Baker.

I like that you actually described the core of the Doctor's values, not just how Pertwee portrayed the Doctor. You humanized and humbled a TimeLord. You made him seem relatable, even though he is actually the idealistic man, not the idealistic alien.
Anyways, I enjoyed it, probably because I actually understand it.
*note: DON'T MESS WITH TARDIS BLUE
Lol
Pretty good.
Keep 'em coming!
Never stop writing!

BitterRosemary

(See above for blue explanation)

Toboldlygo wrote a review...

This is a nice poem! I confess, I pretty much just like Dr. Who because it reminds me of Quantum Leap, but it's usually pretty good.

Overall, I thought your poem was pretty nice, but it could use some reworking as to the wording and overall rhythm. Poems don't have to rhyme, but they should have some nice flow, and this feels a bit choppy in places. Very easily fixed, though, and overall, I really like it! :)

Toboldlygo

wakarimasen says...

Yes! Doctor Number Three is the best. :)

RainbowPowerPonies wrote a review...

PonyzandPokez here to review ^^

DOCTOR WHO Nice poem by the way oh and here are my ratings for you.
Grammar: 95% Sweet, that was REALLY good!
Spelling: 100% LOL nice spelling!
Emotion: 75% not as good I kind of was set off by the lack of emotion, I mean you had some but not much
Formatting: 100% PERFECTION!
Dude this was a great poem! Loved it so I 'liked' it, Doctor Who FOREVER!

~PonyzandPokez

Thanks! (You didn't actually like it though)

Sory im doing it now actually

PiesAreSquared wrote a review...

Yayayay!!! I absolutely love doctor who! I really like the classic doctors even though I prefer the newer ones. But we should get to business!

What I like about this is that you have great rhythm. You also have a good sense of humor.

The stanza that really stands out to me is the following.

...You were the real Doctor,
you were the number three.
Tom Baker; good, but not the same,
you can't beat John Pertwee....

Here you take a jab at Tom baker, and I absolutely love that! Can I steal this? There is something more I would like to say though. You should add to this. Compare the doctors from Hartnett to Smith! Take a jab at every one of them. Hartnett, too serious.... And on you go...seriously I can't remember the second doctor's name, shame on me!!

I ca. Remember the rest though which is good. Oh the second's is throughton or something like that right? Never mind ill google it since I've begun to ramble.

I find I generally cannot keep with a doctor who fanfic because I spin on my own. This being a comparative I found it easier to like and follow!

May Daleks ever run from you!!

Exterminate the writer!!!

Keep writing!!

Thanks! I may make that into a seperate poem... :-)

CatherinKanya says...

I think this poem was brilliant. Though i have never watched doctor who, I was glad to have read it cause its really good. The the 3rd stanza was simply beautiful and to say this is not your best poem is just hilarious. I just loved the poem and don't really have anything else to say cause i am not an expert in poetry.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:45 am
GreenTulip wrote a review...

This is a poem that I will have to show two of my friends who are big fans of Dr. Who. Though I myself haven't watched the show or know nothing about it, this poem is still impressive.

It is in the second stanza that really caught my attention-

"Who cares if perhaps this year

the TARDIS is pale green,

with small gaps in between."

This stanza utilizes imagery. This stanza is one in which I could actually see the pale green of the TARDIS and the patched wooded outside. This is a marvelous poem. Good job.

Thanks. The pale green was because in black and white pale green looks like bright white, and the didn't repaint when they switched over!

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:29 am
fictional wrote a review...

Hi person (assuming you are one)! I've never watched Dr. Who in my life (don't judge) but this was amusing and pleasant to read, and now I want to watch it. I can tell you wrote it for fun - you said so anyway - but it's better than you appear to think. Not anything profound, but good.

I like this stanza -

"You were the real Doctor,

because you could make mistakes,

your character was flawed

despite your scarlet cape."

Thanks for writing this, it cheered me up :)

Thanks. The Doctor in question is the third, but the best place to start is the first if you are not opposed to black and white, with An Unearthly Child!

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:53 pm
TriSARAHtops says...

Yay, Doctor Who! I really liked reading this, it was cute and fun, and just made me happy. :-) I don't have much to say because poetry is not my forte or area of expertise, but I'm glad I clicked on this.

Thank you! :-)
Take my word for it, it is not great poetry, I intended it for a little fun!

I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots; Her coat is one of the tabby kind,with tiger stripes and leopard spots.
— T.S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats