z

Young Writers Society



I Write Instead Of Speak

by Junel


I love you, and it won't go away

I love how much passion you have for what you love

I love how you say what you feel and don't hold back

You may go too far, and cross the line, but you always come back

You make it impossible for me not to forgive you

I am a different person with you

You make me timid and shy

You make me strong and brave

You make me happy

You make me sad

I want to be selfless

But you push me to be selfish

I want you, but I hold back

I don't want to hurt you

I want to see you happy, before me

So I write instead of speak

8/12/17


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 3566
Reviews: 223

Donate
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:39 pm
Mathy wrote a review...



Hey there! It's ZeldaIsShiek here to review another quintessential piece of literature that made my day and win this Review Day by helping the Red Pandas stay in first place and reaching my goal of 80 reviews. I might even get to 100, if I work hard enough. I am really excited to review this amazing piece of art that you have created, and maybe add some witty humor as well. Anyway, that's enough idle chatter from me. Let's get into the review.

I believe that this poem is about a friendship with someone who you liked more than a friend. They were ambitious, fired up, strong and powerful. They are a very inspirational person who you look up to as a legend or an idol, and they are very important to you. However, they are also a bad influence on you, but they are also kind and thoughtful. When I get too into something, it is hard for me to see if I hurt others. In this way the character and I are similar. I also felt that you write poems to express how you feel about this person instead of telling them, because it would probably hurt them emotionally.

The line "You may go to far" should be "You may go too far" because 'too' goes in:
There were too many choices; I couldn't choose.
and the word 'to' goes in:
We went to the mall this weekend.

Overall, this poem was very well written and I can't wait to review more from you soon.

That's all for today. Keep writing amazing literature that inspires me to read and review them, and have a great Review Day! Let's beat the Blues once and for all!

~ZeldaIsShiek




Junel says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
364 Reviews


Points: 15630
Reviews: 364

Donate
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:15 pm
zaminami wrote a review...



Hello Junel! Kara here for a (hopefully) quick review!

Give me your soul.

With that aside, I'm not the best at poetry but here we go!

Bold = grammar and flow issues.
Italics = suggestions and overall
Strikethrough = remove
Underline = krazy Kara komments.

Spoiler! :
I love you, and it won't go away

I love how much passion you have for what you love

I love how you say what you feel and don't hold back

You may go to far, and cross the line, but you always come back {Saying "back" over and over again gets redundant}

You make it impossible for me not to forgive you

I am a different person with you {"you" over and over again is redundant}

You make me timid and shy

You make me strong and brave

You make me happy

You make me sad

I want to be selfless

But you push me to be selfish

I want you, but I hold back

I don't want to hurt you {I feel like this line will be stronger if it is strikethroughed}

I want to see you happy, before me

So I write instead of speak



My interpretation:



Awwwwww, this is about someone you love and incorporated it into writing!

Overall:



Overall, I liked, but the redundancy could be fixed. Experiment with word choices and phrasing :D I find often that looking at strange words to put in your poetry is one of the best parts of writing :D keep up the great work!

Why haven’t you given me your soul yet? --

Kara

Image


This review courtesy of
Image




Junel says...


Thanks for the review. I'm not the best at poetry either, but I'm writing it so you have just as good a chance at reviewing well as I do of writing it well. I'm definitely thinking of changing it up a bit soon, but also the repetition is partially intentional.



User avatar
102 Reviews


Points: 1846
Reviews: 102

Donate
Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:13 pm
TheBlueCat wrote a review...



Hullo Junel! Cat here to review this lovely poem! Okay then, here we go! :D

First, let's go through your poem together:

Spoiler! :
I love you, and it won't go away

I love how much passion you have for what you love

I love how you say what you feel and don't hold back

You may go to far, and cross the line, but you always come back

You make it impossible for me not to forgive you

I am a different person with you

You make me timid and shy

You make me strong and brave (This is the opposite of the line before, so it doesn't really make sense, but at the same time it does)

You make me happy

You make me sad (I think you should combine this line with the previous one so you keep the style of 'You make me ___ and ___")

I want to be selfless

But you push me to be selfish (This sounds like the opposite of all the other things you've said about this other person, so it makes me wonder what kind or person they are.)

I want you, but I hold back

I don't want to hurt you (Why would it hurt them?)

I want to see you happy, before me (Comma is not really necessary in my opinion)

So I write instead of speak

8/12/17 (What's this for?)


What I liked: I really enjoyed the poem in whole, and the message you give to this mysterious person.

What to fix/improve:Not really anything, but, only if you want, you could separate this into multiple stanzas.

Other random comments:I really understand to line "So I write instead of speak" because sometimes I find it hard to talk directly to a person for multiple reasons.

Well anyways, cute poem! Good job and keep writing! :D




Junel says...


Thanks for the review. A lot of it is contradictory, but that has to do with the overall message of a series of poems I'm writing. That's also why the date is there. I wrote all of them over the last 6 months, while going through a difficult relationship and time, but have been finding them and feeling confident to post them in a very out of order way so I just have added that because all of the poems, in chronological order, will tell a story.



TheBlueCat says...


Your welcome! Ah, now that makes sense! Thanks for telling me!



User avatar


Points: 24
Reviews: 4

Donate
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:44 pm
UnSocialCactus wrote a review...



This is- amazing.

Not only is it relatable but it leaves you with a feel as if we’re are you ourselves.
I like how it has a pensive sadness to it, I feel heartbroken for you.

You mention that ‘I am a different person with it’. It gets me thinking that you change your self for this person because you don’t like how you are without them. Perhaps they are someone you rely on and seek them out.




Junel says...


Thanks, I'm glad that you enjoyed reading it.



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:54 am
Radrook wrote a review...



First, thanks for sharing this very interesting poem. I admit that the poem is sincere and transmits the intended mood of the reader's unqualified devotion. But I am left wondering why such a devotion is given. After all, the person is described as feeling offended by it. How does a person who cannot be spoken to because our speaking of our devotion would cause unhappiness deserve that devotion? So as a reader I am forced to assume that the person doesn't deserve the speaker's devotion and that the speaker is infatuated or obsessed.




Junel says...


Thanks for the review. I get your confusion as this poem really only tells part of the story, but I intend to tell the rest soon. So if you want to know I'd be happy to get further reviews.




If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson