Rise of the Planet of the Chicks

by Hkumar

After Corona finally wiped humans
from the face of this earth,
there came the dawn for a new predator
who would rule this world.

Evolved from the mighty dinos
these birds marched fiercely with
scrawny claws claiming their territories.
They were finally free to fly away
from a long oppressed life under tyranny,
where they were just featured in menus
as-  hot wings or spicy nuggets.

No more grilling, no more frying
Chickens now enjoyed freedom
from the gluttony of evil men.
Chicken mamas will worry no more
about their eggs being stolen for
the making of someone's daily bread.

~  ~  ~

But what if it wasn't a Bat that
caused this global annihilation, instead
a double agent Chicken who worked out
a conspiracy to end this long debate
of who came first- the Chicken or the Egg?
It remains #classified
or maybe it's #unclassified.

What do you think?

foxmaster wrote a review...

Hello this is Foxmaster!!!🦊
I loved this so much, you definitely nailed the humor part. I have some thoughts:

After Corona finally wiped humans
from the face of this earth,
there came the dawn for a new predator
who would rule this world.

actually, that sounds realistic. :)
They were finally free to fly away
where they were just featured in menus
as- hot wings or spicy nuggets.

No more grilling, no more frying
Chickens now enjoyed freedom
from the gluttony of evil men.
Chicken mamas will worry no more
about their eggs being stolen for
the making of someone's daily bread.

I really enjoy how you make food into this, but I feel like you should've added KFC into this.
But what if it wasn't a Bat that
a double agent Chicken who worked out
a conspiracy to end this long debate

who was the double agent Chicken double agenting against?
that is all! I liked this!
-Foxmaster

Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:40 am
alliyah says...

still a classic!

Hkumar says...

<3

Phillauthet wrote a review...

Hi! I'm here for a quick review.

One thing I have to say, this poem was absolutely amazing. So funny, yet somehow thoughtful.

I'll go part by part:

After Corona finally wiped humans
from the face of this earth,
there came the dawn for a new predator
who would rule this world.

That's a very good beginning. It's so intriguing. Though it might seem worrisome to some, to me, it opens up a new world, a possibility of what it would be like if chickens were the dominant species. I literally paused there to picture that, and it got me guffawing. It also relates to the current situation, which is a good way to connect with the audience.

Evolved from the mighty dinos
these birds marched fiercely with
They were finally free to fly away
where they were just featured in menus
as- hot wings or spicy nuggets.

Hahaha, I like the contradiction here between 'mighty' and 'scrawny'. But you also say they 'marched fiercely', which shows their willpower. Though they may be scrawny, they can be fierce when they like.
The 4th line is really ironic, since chickens can't really fly well. (Is that just me?)
The syllable count and for is a little clunky in this stanza, you could rephrase few lines.
You could put the extra space after the hyphen in the last line before it.
'Long oppressed' could have a hyphen in between the words.

No more grilling, no more frying
Chickens now enjoyed freedom
from the gluttony of evil men.
Chicken mamas will worry no more
about their eggs being stolen for
the making of someone's daily bread.

The 'grilling, frying' part is very expressive, it gives what I call the 'feel'.
This whole stanza confused me a little. Wasn't the tense in past till now?
You could remove the 'the' from the start of the last line.

But what if it wasn't a Bat that
a double agent Chicken who worked out
a conspiracy to end this long debate
It remains #classified
or maybe it's #unclassified .

I didn't understand the first line. A bat??
The theory is really good - I can imagine a chicken wearing a long coat and dark glasses (haha)
The fourth line could be a little clearer; why would a chicken want to kill humans to solve a debate?
The hashtags at the end were really good ;)

What do you think?

That was a perfect ending. I don't know if it's part of the poem or a separate note, but either way, it concludes beautifully.

Overall, I think this poem was great. We need more poems like this now.

Keep Writing!

Hkumar says...

Heya! Thanks for the review :)
(I used bat in the end because of its connection to the Corona virus and I wrote this during the first Wave, so yeah it was just meant as a light hearted sarcasm)

Phillauthet says...

Ohh I got it now, thanks for clarifying!

Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:14 am

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!! You might wonder why this is appearing all of a sudden...this is for the checklist challenge where you've got to write a review for the first person to post on your wall...although considering how many people you welcome I'm sure you've received a bunch of reviews already explaining this...xD

Soo...quick disclaimer I don't usually review poetry, and I don't think I can be of much help in technical stuff, but I will tell ya the meaning I got from this and how it made me feel ;).

After Corona finally wiped humans
from the face of this earth,
there came the dawn for a new predator
who would rule this world.

I find myself not entirely sure if I'm supposed to laugh at this one or start worrying...we've got ourselves a pretty dramatic declaration of how the humans are going to be properly wiped out and it appears we've got ourselves some new overload rising from the ashes of humanity. Definitely an interesting start there.

Evolved from the mighty dinos
these birds marched fiercely with
They were finally free to fly away
where they were just featured in menus
as- hot wings or spicy nuggets.

ALright, at this point I'm definitely coming close to falling off my chair. There's some lovely descriptions there to represent who I assume is the mighty chicken here...and its definitely quite funny until the chicken overloads coming knocking at my door. I'm loving the direction this poem is headed in here. This is so far a great intro to the chickens here without stating the word Chickens outright. I can almost hear the drumroll coming.

No more grilling, no more frying
Chickens now enjoyed freedom
from the gluttony of evil men.
Chicken mamas will worry no more
about their eggs being stolen for
the making of someone's daily bread.

As a person who loves eggs this one feels slightly person, but also this is a lovely little part about the chicken no longer being oppressed and eaten by the horrible humans as a non human I can say this with no shame. I'm no expert on these things, but I think the capitalization of Chickens in that first line where you normally wouldn't do so indicate they're status as overloads to us somehow...it feels likes that's an important detail anyway.

But what if it wasn't a Bat that
a double agent Chicken who worked out
a conspiracy to end this long debate
It remains #classified
or maybe it's #unclassified.

Well the ending goes to the extreme as they we end on a punchline bringing in double agents, bats and also #unclassified and #classified ....ahhh, things definitely went towards a bit of a climax and I think its a lovely ending there. Definitely hilarious...and just a fun little poem to read here. :D

Hkumar says...

Thanks for the review <3

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome<33

Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:08 am
Lib wrote a review...

Heyo, H!

Not here for a review or anything, just to drop the promised comment on one of your literary works as one of the prizes in the RevMo 2020 Checklist Challenge! <3

Lemme just say. You're a great poet. Humorous poetry is your thing! I loved this one so much - I still remember all those chicken-poetry-writers taking over half the site. Oh my goodness though, the humor here made me grin too much, H. :P I was definitely not expecting that last stanza. I also love how you capitalized chicken - it emphasizes on how important you think chickens are!

My favorite bit is probably this part -

They were finally free to fly away
where they were just featured in menus
as- hot wings or spicy nuggets.

The menu thing got me, I think. xD

This was a great poem and I can't wait to see more from you!

~Liberty

Hkumar says...

Thanks Lib! :)

Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:14 am

I really enjoyed this humorous take on the chicken poem prompt! During NaPoWriMo I actually wrote a poem with a similar take on covid destroying human life and ginormous prehistoric penguins taking over! here - so I'm a big fan of the imagery you're using and the connection between chickens and dinos is one of those famously hilarious ones.

Humor! You nailed it!
Your humor is good because it's ironic, and also takes something people have anxiety about and twists it a bit, poking fun at our emotions in an ironic twist. I'd interpret the meaning of the poem to be - we should worry less, because at least we aren't chickens, and we are worrying about the wrong things (ie. covid vs the classified/unclassified debate).

I have a few suggestions for improvement:

1) Formatting Clean-up

You could take another look at formatting clean-ups. For instance right now you use sentence-case most of the time in the poem, but there are few times you don't. Like when you capitalize "chickens" after "frying-" and also when "bat" and later "Chicken" is somewhat randomly capitalized. My thought here, is perhaps you were trying to make a religious allusion as you also use the phrase "daily bread" earlier? (also I don't think most bread recipes use eggs? so that confused me a bit!) I'm not sure, but if you were trying to make a religious allusion, to say that Chickens are a sort of god I think you should add a few more references in to make it more apparent how that metaphor is working.

Another formatting clean-up is I don't think that your usage of dashes added much, and it sort of broke up the poem in odd ways since it's such a dramatic punctuation mark - mid-sentence. <- (see what I did there? unlike a comma which readers easily brush over as a breath, a dash or hyphen is more - halting, unexpected.)

2) Consistency

I'm not sure the ways that you've off-set some of the text was helpful because it lacked consistency. It seemed like your three usages of italics were a bit random - they weren't just for dialogue or questions, so it wasn't entirely clear what they were doing.

3) Narrative & Thematic Continuity

I think you need a bit more continuity in the piece to tie in that last stanza. The last stanza was particularly amusing to me, being really invested in the classifed/unclassified debate and chicken poetry, and I like the nod to the conspiracy theory that perhaps classified is planning global annihilations\ (though I maintain chickens aren't double agents and are totally forces for truth!) So the content was good for a YWS poem, because it's exactly what people here care about, but I think it felt like that content was kind of tacked on at the end and not quite tied into the rest of the poem. The different stanza break with the squiggles made it feel even more broken off I think.

other overall thoughts
Overall you covered a lot of funny territory in a relatively short poem which can be really hard to do! You were able to touch on some actually important themes which I think elevates this poem beyond just "ha ha" to something with significance that makes the reader examine their life a bit while also having a laugh. In humorous poems, the turn towards significance is often the piece that's missing, so I really commend you for that.

I want to echo @whatchamacallit in saying that one of your clear strengths is in word choice, and although the comparison between chickens / dinos has been done before, you really make that new and paint a really amusing layered story from that one little image.

I think taking care of some of those formatting inconsistencies will be one fairly simple way to improve upon this poem, and then maybe working on that continuity piece if you want to take it to the next level. A last note on continuity ~ sometimes I've suggested -> think of the theme / story of your poem. Now delete everything that doesn't tell that theme / story. Sometimes a poem lacks continuity because the author has added too much! Which might be the case here. Another strategy to add continuity is simply to bookend everything. If you mention cats at the end, you need to mention dogs at the beginning. If you call something blue in a description, you better add a color descriptor somewhere in the middle too. By creating multiple instances of the same thing happening in the poem, the details are elevated from "random" to patterns that the reader can analyze.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions!

alliyah

Hkumar says...

Omg! You are such an awesome reviewer :) I really appreciate your feedback and insights to the poem.

I don't think I was going for some religious allusion there. I just wanted to add something that would suggest how egg is an important part of people's diet ( especially the health conscious ones) That's what I noticed among my hostel inmates. But your interpretation really made me feel that I should have actually went for that allusion and added some more relevant references.

I agree with the inconsistency part as well ^^' I actually had doubts whether I should go for the italics or not. The first italic for 'chicken nuggets' was just meant as a pun. The second one was just to highlight the old age question about the 'chicken or the egg' .... And the last one was just meant as a question for the readers. So I see what you meant by inconsistency. I really didn't think much about it before posting :P

I wrote this in between my lectures and that's why there weren't much detailing. And I must say that it was your motivation and efforts on the site that made me actually write this. So all thanks to you for being so encouraging. :D

Hkumar says...

alliyah says...

<just saw this comment>

You're welcome! : ) also the stray poetry in between lectures is the best type!

Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 am
Tanishka says...

Really good H !

Hkumar says...

Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:03 am
Shady wrote a review...

Heya Hkumar,

Shady here with a review for you this lovely RevMo! Let's get started...

where they were just featured in menus
as- hot wings or spicy nuggets.

No more grilling, no more frying-

I really like these lines. I think you did a nice job of personification here with the chickens facing being prepared in various ways on menus. It's a great swap from the ordinary way people generally think about chickens.

But what if it wasn't a Bat that
a double agent Chicken who worked out
a conspiracy to end this long debate
It remains #classified
or maybe it's #unclassified.

What do you think?

I have... mixed feeling about this ending. I really like the start -- what if it wasn't a bat but in fact a sneaky chicken. Wonderful. It really made me smile when I read this. It's clever, for sure.

But it also felt like a forced ending. I like the chicken and the egg dilemma, and I chuckled when I saw you brought #classified and #unclassified into this chicken poem to appease alliyah's chicken poetry needs xD But ... idk, it doesn't really feel like a poem, if that makes sense?

I know that poetry can have any number of "feels" and that's not a standard measure of the quality of a poem. But I was having a really hard time finding any meter or flow in this poem, which was overall a distracting thing. Even without a rhyme scheme usually poems are moderately easy to get into a cadence of reading, but I couldn't find one with this. It more just felt like prose that you broke up into lines instead of paragraphs lol

I think cutting down on the wordiness of these lines would help it to flow smoother, which in turn would help it "feel" more like a poem and improve the overall quality.

BUT I did really like this poem overall! It was cute and clever, and all in all, quite an enjoyable read.

Keep writing and happy RevMo!

~Shady 8)

Please enjoy this amazing banner from @LZPianoGirl in the [url]Banner Contest[/url]!

Hkumar says...

Hi Shady! Thanks for the review :D I completely agree with your points. I really didn't put much effort writing it and just did for the fun that was going around in yws about chickens. So I really didn't give any second thoughts to what I was writing. As for the ending, I intentionally brought the classified thing just to tease aliyah xD because she is always a supporter of chickens and the Egg. Lol
Again, thank you so much for your review :D

Hijinks wrote a review...

Hi there H! Thank you for requesting a #RevMo review!

You've definitely succeeded in making a humourous poem! I think a few different elements are working together really nicely ~ the content, obviously, is very goofy, the tone is light, and your "extreme" vocabulary with words like "tyranny", "gluttony", "global annihilation" gives the poem an exaggerated, over-the-top (in a good way) effect.

One thing I especially like is when you take one of those "extreme" words, like "tyranny", and then follow it up with something about spicy nuggets. Those two ideas are quite contradictory, and in a poem like this, that adds to the comedy!

So humour-wise, the tone, content, and vocabulary are definitely working in your favour. I think one of the only things left that could make the poem even more entertaining would be imagery, even more so if you can find ways to play on words. For example, in the opening line you have "corona" and "wiped" in the same line. I don't know about you, but that immediately makes me think of disinfectant wipes. So what if you worked with that idea to help make the stanza even more ironic?

After corona finally wiped humans
from the face of this earth,
(the same way those humans scrubbed
so fruitlessly with disinfectant wipes
to kill the deadly corona)

there came the dawn for a new predator
who would rule this world.

What I added in the above quote is just one way you could add playful descriptions - definitely feel free to use your own ideas, language, and imagery! (Also, looking back at my example, you could even add a side-thought/line of imagery in like that using parenthesis. Usually I'd recommend staying away from parenthesis in a poem, but in one like this that's quite informal and fun, I don't think using them would necessarily be a bad thing.)

Speaking of imagery, I really love this set of lines:
Evolved from the mighty dinos
these birds marched fiercely with

You do a great job of painting a picture in the reader's head and contrasting the dinos ("mighty") with the chickens ("scrawny") at the same time!

Before I finish this review I'm just going to look at a few more specific comments!
They were now free to fly away

I'd personally suggest changing "now" to "finally", for a couple of reasons; first, because the poem's in past tense, "now" has a bit of a present-tense vibe to it, so "finally" would get rid of that, and second, it would add to the lovely alliteration of "free to fly"!

about their eggs being stolen for
being a part of someone's daily bread.

The wording here feels a bit awkward to me ~ I think it's the repetition of "being" that makes it a little cumbersome. Maybe something like "...eggs being stolen // to make someone's daily bread" would feel more natural? Or if you want the same general sentence structure, "...for the making of someone's daily bread".

It remains #classified or may be it's #unclassified .

I like your line breaks throughout most of the poem, (especially in lines like "Chickens now enjoyed freedom // from the gluttony of evil men" where an important word like "freedom" is emphasized), but here I would suggest that you break this line in half. Then it would become:
It remains #classified
or may be it's #unclassified .

I personally feel like the pause would add to the uncertainty of the statement, and create a bit of a rhythm, as well - but that's totally up to you!

I've just got a few very, very small more grammary nitpicks ~
After corona finally wiped humans

^This could be a stylistic choice on your part, but I just thought I'd point out that technically "corona" should have a capital C.
No more grilling , No more frying-

^There's an extra space after "grilling" here, and "No" doesn't need to be capitalized ;)

^"may be" can just be one word.

Overall, this is definitely a very humorous poem! I love how you incorporated classified vs. unclassified at the end ~ that is very fitting for a chicken poem, come to think of it! And I really appreciate the comparison between dinos and chickens, as I often refer to my chicks fondly as darling dinosaurs :) My main suggestion would be adding some more playful imagery, and other than that, my critiques are quite nit-picky! I hope you find this review useful, and thanks once again for requesting one.

Keep writing and happy Review Month!

whatcha

Featuring Stormblessed242's awesome banner!

Hkumar says...

Thank you so much for the kind words and appreciation :D Your suggestions are always so helpful <3

WinnyWriter wrote a review...

Hey, there! This is absolutely hilarious, and I love it. :) Great job making it sound natural but filling it with awesome irony.

Maybe this wasn't your intention, but in some ways I feel like it reflects society. Everyone wants to be something great and break free from whatever factors seem to hamper the freedom of which they dream. I especially think this tends to reflect the passions of minority groups.

I really like how you depicted the feisty independence of said chickens. It personifies them well, and helps the reader to relate a lot.

Great job here. Keep up the good work!

Hkumar says...

Thanks for the review! :D

Mageheart wrote a review...

Hey there, Hkumar!

In retrospect, the title probably should have clued me into what this poem was going to be like, but I was pleasantly surprised the entire time I read it! You did a great job giving the YWS chicken trend a fun, unique spin while also tying it to older YWS cultural trends. I'm also a pretty big fan of what-if scenarios when it comes to humanity not being on Earth anymore, so this definitely appealed to my interests!

Content aside, my biggest suggestion is to play around with the formatting - specifically, how many stanzas are in the poem and how you break apart your lines! The lines are the easiest part to explain, since they're something I've had trouble with in my old poems. Most of the lines in this poem flow together easily, but there's a few jarring line breaks.

After corona finally wiped humans

from the face of this earth,

there came the dawn for a new

predator who would rule this world.

The jarring one here is new / predator. They'd definitely work better together in the same line. As of right now, the suspense is built on the "new" part. The reader doesn't know what this new something is. If you put predator right after new, the suspense surrounds what this new predator is - and ups the stakes.

If you're ever not sure if the breaks work in your poetry, you can try reading it out loud! If it feels weird pausing after the break, then you probably need to revise it. If you don't, you're all good!

You can also add some suspense in by how you group together lines into stanzas. This is definitely personal preference, but I like using stanzas to group together similar ideas. It helps me digest a poem's story. For example, you could put the first four lines I quoted earlier into a stanza, and then start off a new one with the "Evolved" line.

(If you ever want lines without spaces in between them, you can start those new lines with shift + enter - it's been a lifesaver for me ever since I learned how to do it.)

This is also a personal preference and definitely a nitpick, but if you want to up the suspense even more, you can take chicken out of this line below:

Evolved from the mighty dinos

these birds marched fiercely with

chicken legs claiming their territories.

Instead, you can use something that describes chicken legs - like scrawny, featherless, etc. Ignoring the title, it makes the reader question just what this new predator is. Then, when the reader gets to how this predator was known on menus, they can be like, "Oh my gosh! It was a chicken!" It's a really minor thing, but I feel like it would be a fun addition to your poem.

I'm not sure which stanza I love more in this poem. The conflicting dinosaur and dinner imagery in the first stanza made the chickens take over the world story hilarious, but the tie-in to #Classified was the perfect surprise. And I definitely can't discount that double agent chicken comment, either!

No matter which one I like better, this poem is comedy genius. If it hasn't already gotten a turn in the literary spotlight, I hope it does soon - and I hope it climbs up into the top one hundred works!

Hkumar says...

Thank you so much Mage for that amazing review. Your suggestions are very helpful :D

Mageheart says...

You're welcome! I'm glad it helped. :)

Buranko wrote a review...

Hey there Hkumar! I will have the honor of reviewing this lovely humoristic chicken poem.

First of all your poem came at the right time. I was in the mood for reading some poetry, possibly reviewing but green room was kinda empty of poems.

This is a nice imagination exercise. This poem is really close to artwork that beeplecrap posts on instagram, he has got that silly shocking apocalyptic theme. Reading it I left my imagination go wild and I'm not disappointed with the result. Firstly imagine the crisis the poor chickens might feel after "corona finnaly wiped humans". After that crisis they might try to immitate what they saw in the human society and create governments etc. . The poem closely resembles a political ad "no more grilling, no more frying" and this blew my mind. You used something like that as a kind of inspiration.

And lastly the ending really made the poem complete. With this rhetorical question "what if it wasn't a bat that caused this global annihilation" you created a kind of lore, a reason for the rise of the chickens.

Loved the poem!

Hkumar says...

Thanks Buranko for the lovely review :)

It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.
— Mr Collins, Pride and Prejudice