25 Things to Remember When You Become a Book Character

by Gravity

1. Dark closets usually mean death

2. Hide your children/younger siblings or they will die

3. If your boyfriend/girlfriend dies, they are either not dead or coming back to life

4. Mother does not always know best

5. You probably knew your villain a long time ago and just don't remember

6. There's no such thing as an accident 

7. There is no such thing as a coincidence

8. It's not smart to run around in the woods when there's a serial killer on the loose

9. "I didn't do it" never goes over well

10. If you're in trouble and someone is about to kill you, an unexpected character will save you. Don't worry.

11. Don't marry the vampire. He will eat you.

12. You aren't the only person who knows how to use polyjuice potion

13. Remember to get enough pearls to also bring your best friend out of the Underworld when it's time to leave

14. If you hear something go bump in the night, don't go back to sleep

15. Don't investigate the creepy noises, run away

16. If you at first date someone on a dare but then really fall for them, he or she will find out and hate you no matter what you tell them

17. Know the characteristics of a vampire

18. If you don't know which wire to cut, just cut all of them

19. If you destroy New York City to save people, don't worry. It will be repaired by the time the next book or movie comes out

20. Your Aunt and Uncle lied about how your parents died

21. Or your parents are not dead

22. High heels are horrible for running away but they make great weapons

23. If people think you're crazy, you're probably sane. Probably.

24. Villains either speak monkey or bird, so watch out for their evil sidekicks

25. Your cell phone will never work when you need it most

Ashitaka says...

Very Good,Insightful list of things to know.From Now On I'm keeping them in my Mind. Kudos:)

Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:42 am
Snoink says...

...I am guilty of eight of these for my story
>.>

foxmaster wrote a review...

Hello this is Foxmaster!!!!!!
Oh my, well all of these rules are so TRUE, though! For this rule:

If your boyfriend/girlfriend dies, they are either not dead or coming back to life

You just find someone sobbing and like: "This is s sad! You're dead!!!!" and then the dead dude is like, "Whoa," and then the main character finds out they have healing powers or something or other, and when I read that I'm like, "Just die already! If this were real life, you would have to suck it up!!!!" *Sighs*

Exactly. This part is so annoying. Like a person is: "time to die!" and the main character is like, "My life is flashing before my eyes," and then SWOOSH! ZOOM! Someone swings in and rescues the person and then the person is like, "How did that happen? I did not expect that!" While, if this were real life, YOU WOULD BE DEAD RIGHT NOW!!! Get real, people!
That's all! I loved this, and it was so funny! I can reference to most of these rules, considering how much I read all the time.
-Foxmaster!!!!

GengarIsBestBoy wrote a review...

Howdy hey! Gengar here to leave a review!

This was very funny to read! I love all of the general rules like “ 3. If your boyfriend/girlfriend dies, they are either not dead or coming back to life” and “ 10. If you're in trouble and someone is about to kill you, an unexpected character will save you. Don't worry.” I also liked all the references you were able to fit in (Rapunzel, Happy Potter, Avengers, Twilight maybe, and Percy Jackson).

I know this is really old, but I just found this randomly by searching for Gravity Falls

—GengarIsBestBoy

Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:07 pm
RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hey!

RandomTalks here with a short review!

Wow, this is literally the most hilarious thing I have read in a long long while. Your sentences were short and clipped but they managed to make me laugh out loud 25 times. Your references to Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Avengers and Twilight (?) hit close to the heart and made it even more hilarious because I could actually see those scenes play out. I wish I got all your references, but what can one do? I don't have any grammatic error to pint out, except that you often don't end your sentences with a full stop. This was amazing and it genuinely made my day.

My favorite was from like 1 to.....25?

Have a great day and keep writing!

Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:33 am
saadamansayyed wrote a review...

I think this is very fun. Here's my review:

</quote> 1. Dark closets usually mean death </quote>
Obviously not, Say T. DeVille said he'd hand me the elixir of immortality there. /s
To be honest though, It is a bit of a realistic one. Dark closets and danger go hand in hand.

</quote> 2. Hide your children/younger siblings or they will die </quote>
They get killed by this man called the author who keeps murdering them. /s
But yes, this is true. I just hate when authors decide stab stab murder murder instead of developing the family of a character.

</quote> 3. If your boyfriend/girlfriend dies, they are either not dead or coming back to life </quote>
This is true because friendship/love is magic and magic gives immortality /s
But seriously, let us see the main character go through grief and do with it rather than us forcibly patching them back up.

</quote> 4. Mother does not always know best </quote>
A witch too old to be my mother sung this for me so screw you I guess /s
This is annoying and amazing depending on the execution.

</quote> 5. You probably knew your villain a long time ago and just don't remember </quote>
Of course, my mum didn't invite them for the Gangnam Style and shakes party and thats why they want to kill me and my dog /s
But can't we have a villain be a villain and just let us despise him and not ship him with the MC, please?

</quote> 6. There's no such thing as an accident </quote>
Oh yes, my mum definitely did not accidentally lose the villain's number when she was planning the party /s
This annoys me a lot. Accidents happen, and punishing people for mere accidents is dumb and anticlimactic.

Overall, presenting these book tropes was fun. You have nice comedic timing. I wonder if you could turn this into a satirical short story? :D

My faves were 25, 22, 19, 13, and 7. Good job!

Thanks,
Saad

Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:34 pm
LilPWilly says...

Hahahaha sadly I am number four, Sarah isn't coming back😢

Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:27 am
rida says...

Most of the rules are from Harry Potter, aren’t they? Being a huge fan of Harry Potter, I know it.

I second you!

rida says...

^_^
Btw if you%u2019re looking for more Harry Potter-esque books I can definitely give some suggestions!

TheRebel2007 says...

I third you! ;p

TheRebel2007 says...

I third you! ;p

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:15 pm
dragonfphoenix says...

Mandatory "If you haven't looked at the Evil Overlord List you should probably do so" comment. (There's also a derivative Hero List on springhole.net)

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:52 pm
Oxara says...

I would respond this but my phone doesn’t seem to be working...

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:41 pm
FireSpyGirl says...

I love this!

I have to agree with @269609 and @Bellarke. :D

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:13 pm
fatherfig says...

I loved that that was a fun imaginative and you took things from Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Avengers, and I think Tangled.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:16 pm
Bellarke wrote a review...

extra true!!
There is like nothing wrong with it.

MY faveorite part is 1- like 21.

"1. Dark closets usually mean death

4. Mother does not always know best

6. There's no such thing as an accident

20. Your Aunt and Uncle lied about how your parents died"

Congratulations!!!

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:01 am
DarshayataDeka says...

100 percent true.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:51 pm
BeTheChange says...

The references to different fandoms are hilarious. The more general entries are also funny, and they have the added benefit of being a "what tropes should I avoid in my own writing" sort of guide. I didn't see any grammatical errors. Good work!

ChieTheWriter says...

number 20. Star Wars: A New Hope? I'm hoping?

This deserves some kind of trophy. @Nate

AlexOfLight says...

It's in many things but I think it's from Harry Potter mostly.

Passionwriter says...

Hahaha Lol!

I liked the references you used from Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Avengers, and I thinke Tangled? from the sentence "4. Mother does not always know best" Loved it!

Those are really true.
Keep doing more of these!!

Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:08 am
Mysticalxx says...

Haha, true! You took references from Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and........who else? :)

Anyway, this is nice.

Mysticalxx

Eldritch says...

I love prime numbers I made the number of likes one of them You should thank me for that Prime numbers are the coolest Bye Thank you

Charizard821 wrote a review...

Ah, Gravity. It's been far too long. I see you still have that amazing something about you that most writers do not. Let's face it, this is not a story. It is not poetry, nor a piece of literature. No, my friend, this is entertainment. Entertainment at its finest! Entertainment which, sometimes, can be hard to find in literature. Rest assured that entertainment has its place in the writing world and on the Young Writer's Society. Especially this piece of entertainment. Something I particularly loved about it was how tediously hard you worked to perfect the references. I understood a few. There was one from Percy Jackson, the Avengers, Spider Man (I believe), and I think there was a Harry Potter reference in there too. It's always so nice to see references bring pieces of writing to life, and this was quite full of them. Excellent work, Gravity. I'll be sure to assist you in gaining top spot on Literary Spotlight.

That is, on one condition; you make a sequel to your movie, and bring back George Clooney. Thank you.

Josie98 wrote a review...

Hey, :)
Omg, this is awesome. I was laughing most of the time and crying from laughter the rest! This was awesome and very true in most cases! :)

18. If you don't know which wire to cut, just cut all of them.
This one I can totally relate too, Ive said this so many times when reading a book or watching a movie!

22. High heels are horrible for running away but they make great weapons.
I wear heels a lot since Im a rather short person so I can totally relate to this since Ive swung my heel in threat to a teasing friend more then once...:P That is awesome!!!

3. If your boyfriend/girlfriend dies, they are either not dead or coming back to life.
Right?????? EVERYTIME!!! :D

Yes this was an awesome post, Im so glad I ran across it! Totally brightened my day! :) You definitely have a knack for making people laugh, so keep up the great writing, Im looking forward to reading more funny stuff from you!!! :D

BlackAshes wrote a review...

Hello! Ash here for a Review!

Hilarious! I was laughing the whole way through. They are all very true though. Whenever I read a book and their is a serial killer or something, the main character ends up alone in the woods alone, and their cellphone doesn't work..

My favorite:

"22. High heels are horrible for running away but they make great weapons"

I haven't seen a high heel used in a book yet, but I would like to! :D

Hope to read more of your work soon! (This earned a Fav from me, that's for sure! :))

8398393 says...

This was was so funny! You should write another one

Percybeth says...

Love this!! XD

GLaDOS says...

It's so true! All of this. It's just like one of those relatable posts on... tumblr or something. I like that you posted this, It's smart to notice these things because they're quite true. I applaud you, nice work. ^^

SkyeWalker says...

Oh lord yesss

Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:50 am
Hattable says...

How is it that a simple (yet witty) list gets more likes than the entirety of work in my portfolio mashed together? XD

TimmyJake says...

This. Is. Awesome.

Great work, Rose. xD

EscaSkye says...

Oh dear XD.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:11 am
deathwave1 wrote a review...

This is great. The Harry Potter references are amazing, (number 12 XD) and all are so very true. I feel like poking fun at cliches in popular writing is very important for a satire writer. The really sad thing is that all these get used constantly. My pet peeves aside, an excellent piece. I noticed you skipped punctuating at the end of a lot of these. Was that purposeful? Good work, and I look forward to the next one.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:53 am
jayflames1 says...

LOL

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:41 am
WeasleyDragonStar wrote a review...

This is hysterical. I love the Harry Potter references (in case you couldn't tell by my name, I'm a hardcore Harry Potter fan). Vampires--so right. Some of the references I don't understand, but they're still funny. I should totally write the most stereotypical horror-vampire romance-urban fantasy ever. That would be so much fun (especially when considering what I usually write about--so serious and depressing. There's a need for a short break!)
Keep writing, and have fun.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:51 am
yubbies21 says...

I've been thinking of writing a completely stereotyped horror story. This would be a good list to base it off of :P

hmcg says...

This was hilarious! I'm cracking up and getting a ton of weird looks! (did i mention that i'm in science class?) Keep it up!

TheOtakuLord says...

all of those will be handy for when I become a book myself…so thank you for some guidelines to survive a story.

lakegirls says...

I love this! It's so satirical and it just makes me smile :D

Whenever I watch cartoon shows (yes I am 22 and still watch cartoons) I always laugh at how if a character is injured they are seemingly okay in the next pan.

I would critique this for you but I can't find anything to critique!

I'm really looking forward to reading my works by you!

-Nicole

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:58 am
krow02 wrote a review...

I figured that this needs to get out of the green room so I thought I would add a review as well.

I really like theses ones because Harry Potter and Percy Jackson are two of my favorite series.

I also like this one because it is so true. It is kind of uncanny how they can do that.

21. Or your parents are not dead

I also like these ones because it tends to happen a lot.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:42 am
krow02 says...

I really like this and I may even refer back to it later when I'm writing.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:26 am
Reet3103 says...

Hey.

Haha I enjoyed it and related it to soooo many books, it was a general one right? :P And the 11th one, doesn't always happen. :3 But anyhow, I really liked it, I mean, I wouldn't think of compiling such things. Great idea.

And good job on getting featured :D

KUDOOOSSSSS

Keep writing and stay blessed.

xoxo

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:07 am
Shudder says...

Haha I love this and the subtle references, especially the underworld one :D

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:19 am
Firelight says...

This is great!

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:19 am
Corncob says...

I love this so, so, so, so much!!! *Adds to favorites*

JKHatt says...

What? How? (adding to favorites, that is) :P

Corncob says...

Oh, it's just my list of personal favorites, not an actual feature on YWS ^_^. But I wish there was a visible Favorites list! That would be so cool!

Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:17 pm
EternalRain says...

Haha. I loved this. :P

But Ihoneyly don't know how to review is sooo... xP

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:58 pm
Hattable says...

Now I really want to break as many of these "rules" as I can...
Great list, Gravity! :P

It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill —The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.
— JRR Tolkien