Cortez Shivick (Chapter 1)

by ForeverYoung299

Cortez Shivick was just a mere student of ATU, the famous university when he married a rich lady of 25. This lady had a beautiful name- Shayene Shivick. She was the daughter of the owner of the major contributor in Cortez Shivick's father's business.

Cortez's father had a spice business. It was the largest spice company in the whole country. The main reason behind it was that the quality of the products were the best in the country. Although reluctantly, Cortez had to use a $50 worth toothbrush, $300 worth towel and many more costly things. On the other hand, Shayene felt irritated when she was given a $1000 worth dress instead of a $1500 worth one.

When they first met each other in a grand party arranged by Cortez's father, Cortez couldn't stop staring at Shayene who was wearing a gown stitched with gold strings. In her neck, there was diamond necklace and her hair was dressed with some hair pins made of silver. She blushed when Cortez looked at her. Cortez had a handsome look wearing a gorgeously stitched white shirt with a black coat over it which made it quite difficult for Shayene to take her eyes off him. 

When these two future couples were goggling each other wide-eyed, Cortez's father beckoned Shayene's father to look at them. All the four people were amazed. Cortez and Shayene were amazed for each other and their fathers were amazed for them. This continued for a fee moments until Cortez was called by one of his friend.

Cortez's father asked Shayene's father, “What are you thinking?”

Shayene's father answered, “The same as what you are thinking.”

“Really? So can we–”

“Yes. Yes. Of course, we can. I just have to take her consent.”

“Okay. Then, we will–”

“Yes. Now, let's concentrate on the party.”

The party had duet dance performances. Coincidentally, their names were announced as partners. The hall was filled with sounds of applauses. Shayene and Cortez holding each other's hands danced. That was a great scene.

After they finished the dance, the parents called them aside to ask for their permission. Both of them agreed without thinking twice.

Cortez's father neared the mic and announced, “I have a surprise for you. Can you guess what?”

Almost the whole audience shouted, “Marriage of Cortez and Shayene.”

“You all guessed!”

It was no more a surprise and would be a welcomed reality within a few upcoming days. 

Hi Forever,

It was a very interesting and exciting start to a story. I liked the perspective you chose and I especially liked that you gave an introduction before going into the actual plot. It's definitely a very good point you've created and I like how Cortez's "life story" connects to the actual plot and moves the plot forward.

So we get to know two important characters, Cortez, who despite the wealth is not directly dazzled but rather uncomfortable with all the money and Shayene, who probably wants more money than she can spend. Since the wedding is coming up, I strongly assume that Shayene is just as wealthy through her family as Cortez. You've already done a good job of making the characters appear, and that the reader can get a view of them.

I didn't directly find a hectic pace in the story here, as you usually see, but a structure that was also well reflected. I liked that this first chapter gave you the opportunity to familiarise yourself with the characters, but also to move the plot forward. Compared to the previous novel, I find it much more fleshed out and better structured. I also didn't immediately find many spelling mistakes or the like, which I also find very good.

It is only towards the end that the plot starts to move a little faster, but as I assume the whole of the first chapter is still part, "introducing Cortez" with some glimpses into his life where highlights are highlighted, I don't think that is so bad.

Other points that caught my eye:

Shayene Shivick.

I strongly suspect that the wife had a different name before marriage. I would then insert that instead of this one.

When these two future couples were goggling each other wide-eyed,

couples is the wrong word here. Persons would fit better here,

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:47 am
Dossereana wrote a review...

Hi Dossereana here to do a review on your work, I don't have very much to say so will make this a quick one. First off sorry it took so long to read this, I was going to get to it after you review my prologue but I guess it slipped my mind, so sorry.

Hm emphasis on the rich ha, interesting. also Shayene's name is in bold because I'm not sure if you were struggling how to spell the name properly, if not then never mind, if so then I believe I can help you out. I think you where trying to say: Shayne, but if I'm wrong again never mind.

Lol, this is the difference with Women VS Men, guys are easier to please, Lady's can be a little more tricky.

Aww I just love how you are going back and telling us how these to lovers got to gather. Yeah Shayene seams like she's going to cost a lot for him in the future.

First going to go strait to why friend is in bold, I hope I'm not being to harsh, okay now I feel like the way you said the line I thing friend would be better as friends, just because you said one of his, I just think that friends will fit the line more smoothly.
other then that is awesome.

“Really? So can we–”

“Okay. Then, we will–”

Okay lasting I really like all this talking between the two fathers, but there is one thing. I feel like you need both Cortez's father and Shayene's father to have there separate names that way it will be less confusing.

Okay that's it if I was being to harsh I'm really sorry about it. I was into the chapter for sure. :) I will read the next chapter as soon as I can promise this time. <3

I hope you have a great day/night witch ever side of the world your on.

@Dossereana Flying Over The Green Room And Spreading Shards Of Encouragement

LilPWilly says...

I would run this through grammarly, but it’s good.

MapleWay wrote a review...

Hey! MapleWay here with a quick review!

This was a great beginning! It did a good job setting the stage for the novel.

Negatives-

All the four people were amazed. Cortez and Shayene were amazed for each other and their fathers were amazed for them.

Two things. One, there is a lot of repetition for the word amazed so I would use some different words. But I also get if you want to keep it this way because the rhythm kind of adds t it in a way. And two, at the beginning it says, "the four" but it should be, "four."

Positives-

Although reluctantly, Cortez had to use a $50 worth toothbrush, $300 worth towel and many more costly things. On the other hand, Shayene felt irritated when she was given a $1000 worth dress instead of a $1500 worth one.

This part made me laugh! Especially at the end where it says that she would feel irritated when she got a $1000 dress instead of a $1500! This gave me a bit of insight into her character!

Anyways great start! Can't wait to read the next chapter! I'll try and review it today!

Thanks for your review. Waiting for the review of the next chapter

stygianmoon17 wrote a review...

Heyy there, stygianmoon17 here for a review :)

I really enjoyed reading this chapter and I'll stay tuned for those who come along, this sounds so interesting !!

MINUsES

There's this one famous rule in writing, "Show don't tell". It's usually not told to beginner writers to not confuse them as they write and to not totally unmotivated them, but as you seem faaaar from being a beginner writer, this could really help your future writings.
In your first chapter, you describe your characters, and the first thing you say about them is that they're richly dressed.
With the show don't tell rule, your story would've gone something like:
you describe how they dress, and IMPLY that they're richly dressed, without actually saying it.
For example saying, "she had a beautiful gown with sapphires embroidered in it"

Same for when they start staring at each other. You say something like "both were attracted towards each other because of their meretricious appearance."
Maybe instead of first saying that, you could say how the guy steals glances towards the woman whenever she isn't looking, while the woman reddens and found herself at loss of words when seeing him.

You see, actually SHOWING how a person is well dressed, or how two people like each other, is actually better than just saying "she loves him" "she's well dressed". It makes the writing more airy and realistic as well as having the reader more able to visualise the scene.

PLUSES

Everything about this story is so sweet, it feels like a fairy tale. I loved the little dialogue between Cortez and Shayene's father. The descriptions of their clothing was also very rich and you have an unique style of writing I absolutely love reading.

Please tag me when the new chapters come out <3

Thank you so much. Yes, I agree with you. I am working on that %u201C Show don't tell%u201D I will surely tag you when new chapters come out. BTW, this is not a fairy tale. There are many more in the upcoming chapter. They are actually realistic.

I will write something about fantasy in the next novel!!!

great :D

Hey, I made some changes in the second and the third paragraph. Pls see them and let me know if you like them or not.

rida wrote a review...

Hi! Thanks for tagging me!
I enjoyed this chapter! Though, you could’ve extended it into a bigger chapter, but even so, it’s amazing!

Glows
This chapter was sweet and I especially liked the little conversation between Cortez and Shayene’s father. It was precise and I like the little details you put like Shayene’s clothing…
I also think you had the pace done just perfectly! No scene felt like it was too short or too long!
The chapter was written in a unique way, and I am looking forward to the next!

Grows

#1
Cortez Shivick had no fascination for wealth but then also he had to lead a luxurious lifestyle only to show that he was the son of one of the greatest business man in the country.

‘Then also’ sounds a bit awkward, so you could change it to ‘even so’.

#2
Cortez and Shayene were amazed for each other and their fathers were amazed for them. This continued for a fee moments until Cortez was called by one of his friend.

I found two mistakes here:
a) ‘Cortez and Shayene were amazed for each other and their fathers were amazed for them’
Using ‘for’ is grammatically incorrect, and it should instead be: ‘by’.

b) Just a typo: ‘this continued for a fee moments…’
I think you meant ‘few’.

Lastly,
I loved this and look forward to the next chapter! Please tag me when you release it!

~rida

Thank u so much. I will tag you for sure!!!

rida says...

:)

rida says...

I love them! :D you did the show not tell!

Yes. I did.

You can read the second chapter

creaturefeature wrote a review...

'Ello there! Thank you for the review request!

She was the daughter of the owner of the major contributor in Cortez Shivick's father's business.

Could you add more to this? The major contributor company name? (I'm guessing it's a company because you can own a company, but correct me if I am wrong here.)

It was the largest spice company in the whole country. The main reason behind it was that the quality of the products were the best in the country.

What is the business's name? What is the country you've mentioned? I can't read something and enjoy it if I don't know anything that is happening in it. Those little details are important to your plot and your world.

When they first met each other in a grand party arranged by Cortez's father, both were attracted towards each other because of their meretricious appearance.

"Meretricious" might not be the best word because it has a meaning of "relating to or a characteristic of a prostitute" which isn't that great.

How long did they know each other? A day? That is barely enough time to become acquaintances, let alone lovers. With that little time before hand, no one would know about the marriage except for the people getting married and the fathers.

I understand what consent is, but "taking" doesn't sit right with me.

Technically, people in arranged marriages are not happy with it, and would never be because it's kind of a bad situation for everyone. It's done in some cultures for reasons I don't know, but being a cultural thing does not make it a good thing.

Good job! Just work on using more detail.

lum

Actually, their marriage is kind of a mixture of love and arranged marriage

You know what, I can't find any names of those companies and the country.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
— William Shakespeare