12+

Conquest of Shadows Chapter 9

by FlamingPhoenix

A cold silence filled the air as the words Rachel had just spoken sank in, he hated to agree with her, but he knew she was right, he was a known criminal throughout the kingdom but there wasn’t anything he could do about it.

Letting out a loud sigh Richard shook his head. “I don’t know what to do. If the king is really after the Jewel and it holds a power such as this…there isn’t much we can do.” Walking to the far corner of the room Richard picked up the Jewel, his grip firm around it as this over whelming need to find out what is behind it came over him.

“Wha! What happened here?” Came a masculine voice form behind Richard and Rachel, “I didn’t expect this!”

“Really I told you not to come here today!” Rachel hissed, turning around to face the intruder her eyes blazing.

Putting the Jewel away in his pouch Richard finally turned to face a pair of familiar brown eyes, eyes he knew all too well, shaggy brown hair mixed with the young boy’s appearance as their eyes met.

“Mikel! Why don’t you ever listen to me?” Rachel growled.

Richard didn’t take his gaze off of Mikel, what was the boy doing here, and how did Rachel know him?

“Hey, don’t I know you?” Mikel asked squinting at Richard. “You were the moody guy at the party last night weren’t you?” He kept he’s gaze fixed on Richard his lips pressed together is a small pout.

Yes…that would be me.” Richard said slowly, his eyes shifting to Rachel who was sending daggers at the other boy. “How do you two know each other?” He couldn’t help but ask.

Letting out a small groan Rachel turned her head to face Richard, her face creased in annoyance. “His my younger brother.”

Mikel put his hands on his hips and puffed out his chest with a grin. “Yup, that’s me!”

Richard wasn’t sure what to think, this boy could put everything at stake if he finds out. The only words he managed to get out was an okay. Grabbing Rachel’s arm he dragged her to a corner away from her brother.

“What is it Richard?” Rachel asked, her eyebrows creased together.

Letting out a sigh Richard put both hands on her shoulders. “Look we can’t tell him about the Jewel. We have no idea what he will do, he could even report us to the king.” A dark glint appeared in his eyes as he spoke.

Waving a hand at Richard, Rachel laughed, “Don’t worry about it, he helps me all the time, he already knows what I do, and I’ve told him about you, though I haven’t mentioned any names.” Tapping her chin she continues, “His really good at making things, like you have known idea, he’s the one that helped me make this cave into a hideout.”

Richard couldn’t believe that idiot was that good, when he had met him he seemed like a normal person with know problems. Guess he wasn’t the only one that was good at putting on an act. Nodding his head Richard removed his hands from Rachel. “Fine I trust your judgment, I think I will have to tell Ryan about the Jewel, there isn’t any other way.”

Seeming to understand Rachel nodded her head, “Are you sure it’s the best idea? You and I both know how he can be.”

Letting out a low sigh Richard rubbed the back of his neck. “What other choice do we have?”

Rachel placed a hand on his shoulder, “Mikel and I have a few books you could look through that might have the answers we need.” She waved Mikel over who eagerly ran up to them. “Could you get the books I was using the other day out of the library and a few others on Gems and stuff like that?”

“Sure thing, see I knew you would need me!” Mikel smirked, turning around and heading for the door.

Rachel swung her leg towards him, giving him a firm kick up the ass. “Just get on with it!” She yelled at him.

“Okay, okay.” Mikel shouts over his shoulder closing the wooden door behind him.

Richard looked down at Rachel then down at the Jewel he had taken out of his pouch. “If anything the king can’t have this. It could kill everyone. How he found out about it is a mystery.”

The blue Jewel reflected off Rachel’s sea green eyes as she studies it. “You’re going to take it with you aren’t you?” She says after a moment of silence.

Nodding Richard put it away when he saw Mikel walk back into the room with five books in hand, they were rather thick but he knew Thunder could managed with the wait. “How am I supposed to carry those?” He points to himself. “I have nothing to put them in.”

Mikel laughs, “I already have you covered bro.” he shrugs off his shoulder a large brown bag that seemed to have a few other book inside. “These are the best we have, I couldn’t see anything else that could be related to that Gem thingy.”

Giving him a grateful smile Richard took the bag, the heavy load waiting down on his shoulder. “I better get going, Ryan might be wondering what I’m up too.”

….

The ride back to the mountain was quiet as the only sound Richard could hear was the repeated sound of hooves hitting gravel. Richard was a little lost, what was he supposed to do now, Before he left, Rachel made it quite clear that Ryan couldn’t find out about the Jewel, they both knew he would take it away and tell them to let the King do what he needs to do until they were both trained properly.

But Richard knew he couldn’t keep something this big from him, he had to know. But, he did have those books Mikel had given him, they could help in some way if what he was looking for was inside the contents.

Quickly Richard put Thunder in his stable giving him food when he got to the mountain, he wanted to hurry, Ryan could show up to look for him at any moment, and he wanted to take a look at the books before his training.

Peeking his head through the slightly open door Richard looked around the room for any sign of the older man, but only the cold cup of tea on the side could be seen.Creeping inside Richard ran into the dark hall coming off of the kitchen the torches not yet lit. Gripping the bag harder Richard made a sharp right darting into another passageway.

It didn’t take him long to reach his destination, walking into the room the smell of fresh books the pages not yet turned filled his nose, the scent of leather book covers filled his senses as he walked over to a long wooden table in the center of the library, piles of books covering its surface. Pushing some aside Richard placed the bag on the table some of the books sliding out.

Looking them over one got his attention, the title read “Gems of Time.” Richard read aloud picking it up. “This sounds promising.”

Flipping the book open Richard began to skim through hoping something would come up, the first few pages were about a few people who had make a large impact on society with their creations, one imparticular made Richard stop and read.

Sitting down Richard began to read.

Amanda Grace Evins

Age 32

‘Amanda came from a small village out near the coast, her village didn't move with the times, so young Amanda one day moved into the kingdom in hopes of making her future better for her and her people.

Spending lots of her time devoted to her work she one day made a remarkable discovery when she came upon a small crystal, although it wasn't like any stone she had seen before. This one was different in many ways. It has the ability to store electricity, with the tools necessary Amanda discovered it was able to hold enough for the whole kingdom. Setting it in a hard liquid she forms the small crystal into an icy casing keeping it from braking if handled wrong. But sadly Amanda died after a terrible accident, an explosion killed her and her work colleagues sealing what more could be discovered about the crystal.’

Richard tapped his chin as he read over the article one last time, "It was brief but I think I might be onto something." he reached into his pouch and removed the Gem its ice outside lighting up when in contact with the flames from the torches. Placing it on the table Richard began to flip through the book again, but nothing more could be found on the Gem or anything remotely similar.

"Ah, here you are!" Came a gruff voice from the doorway, walking over to the table Ryan pulled out a seat, looking over the books Richard had sprawled out over the desk. "What are you up to?"

Almost flying out of his seat Richard looked up, he could feel his heart pound in his chest as he slowly begins to move a book over the Jewel hoping Ryan wouldn't see it. "Ahh, yeah just doing some studying."

Narrowing his eyes Ryan removed his gaze from Richard and followed his arm that was edging the book over the blue Gem. Standing up Ryan smacked Richard's hand away and discarded the book, a look of pure shock covered his face as he picked up the Gem, it was quickly washed away when he turned a cold glare on Richard. "Where did you get this?" He hissed.

Liberty wrote a review...

Heya Flames!

Hope you're doing well today or tonight. I'm here to drop off a review for you! Let's get started, now, shall we? :)

So, last time we stopped at when the gem exploded. o.o And Richard was super shocked about it all. Okay.

He kept he’s gaze fixed on Richard his lips pressed together is a small pout.

*his
Why is he here and what is he doing here? :?: :?:

His my younger brother.”

*He's
WHAT? This is what you call a twist! I had a feeling that Mikel would be an important character, but what do ya know? He's Rachel's brother!

Also, since I noticed you're saying he's instead of his and his instead of he's a lot, here's a site that should help with that. It explains it very nicely. :)

Richard couldn’t believe that idiot was that good, when he had met him he seemed like a normal person with know problems.

LOL also, I think it's *no

Siblings these days. xD Honestly this just reminds me of me and my siblings, lol. Also, because of a specific word in this sentence, you might want to give a warning somewhere in case someone's not comfortable with it.

Giving him a grateful smile Richard took the bag, the heavy load waiting down on his shoulder.

*weighing
*I dunno what you think, but it doesn't exactly seem right to have "on" in this sentence.

*in particular
Ooh, let's read let's read let's read.
Oh! I bet it was the Gem that Amanda discovered. And she probably died when she triggered the Gem into exploding. Which is very scary. I am never going to ever touch a gem in my entire life.

"Where did you get this?" He hissed.

Omg, he knows he knows he knows!! I wonder how? Why? Since when? Does he have any connection with the discovery of the gem? Does he have any connection with Amanda? :o I'm HYPED.

Well, anyways, I hope this review helped in some sort of way! Let me know if you have any questions. And I can't wait to read more. You left us on a pretty decent cliffhanger.

And as always...

Keep on writing and Happy Review Day!

~Liberty

Thanks for the review Liby! I"m glad to know you enjoyed it! I look forward you seeing how you react to the next chapter!

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:30 am
Gravitem wrote a review...

A very polished use of description which played a major role in making the story engaging. You have a strong sense of usage of diction which may continue to make your stories well built. However there is a small lack of drafting which can be achieved by re-reading your story with as much care as you have given to writing it. I hope this helps you in the journey of strengthening your sense of storytelling and eventually mastering it. Please continue to write more. Your betterment lies in your experiences and failures. I hope this was of use to you.

Thanks for the review.

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:19 am
JesseWrites says...

When I read i found this story good. There was a lot of descriptive words. I could imagine the setting and the characters. It gave another feeling when reading. Your story dragged me in and I can't stop enjoying.

I liked this story.
Keep it up!
~S.M.Locke~

There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.
— Bram Stoker