12+

Conquest of Shadows Chapter 2

by FlamingPhoenix

“Richard Ashbrook where have you been!?” The man standing in the corner of the stables barked when he saw the nineteen-year-old boy sneak inside with his horse being led by the rains.

Stopping in his tracks, Richard cringed and turned to face the old man, his green eyes piercing him with an icy gaze. “I was just taking Thunder out for a run.” Richard lied, stuffing the blue ruby from before in one of his pockets.

The old man stood up from the wall and walked up to Richard. “Look my boy…you can’t be out there playing hero all the time, in fact, you shouldn’t even be out there.” He folded his arms as he began to scold the young boy. “You’re only nineteen, and your mother and father left me to look after you, to get you ready for the hardships of this kingdom, and what are you doing? You’re out there getting yourself into trouble!” He barked his eyes burning with rage, but his aged face calm.

Rolling his eyes Richard led Thunder toward his stable. “I knew what I was doing.” He said over his shoulder. “Besides the man I killed stole from the people. Uncle Ryan, I need to be out there.”

Ryan let out an aged sigh the small white hairs around his mouth bristling with the motion. “First off, you’re not allowed to kill, it’s against the law. Second of all, you’re not ready, that is why we train, your parents were great people in their days, but they only were because they trained. They left you in my care expecting you to do great things one day, don’t throw all that away because of a simple robbery.”

Closing the tall door Richard pats Thunder’s black snout, then turned around to face his trainer. “But I can’t just stand back and let them get away with it.” He argued, his hands turning into fists at his sides.

Clicking his tong Ryan shook his head, “There is no way to stop you is there?”

Richard removed the black most from around his face, the fine fabric falling around his neck, as he listened to what Ryan was going to say next.

“So as I did for your father I will only have to prepare you the best I can.” His forest green eyes canning over Richard. “So I expect to see you in the training room asap!” With that said he turned and walked out the stables.

Letting out a much-needed breath Richard leaned against the poll he hung the rains he was using for Thunder on. Glancing down at the pouch attached to his leg he slowly reached into it removing the sapphire gem that was wrapped in a worn-out cloth, the brown fabric doing nothing to hide the blue color of the gem. Creasing his eyebrows together Richard began to twist the gem around in his hand. “Why would the king be after this? It doesn’t hold any value, it would be a lot of money, but the king already has all the money in the world.”

Deciding he would figure it out later Richard put the gem away and ran toward the training room down one of the many stone halls. The flickering light of the fire torches lighting his path as he ran. It didn’t take Richard long to find the room he was looking for, turning into the room he stopped at the door, he watched as Ryan walked around with a large torch in his right-hand lighting all the unlit torches.

Turning his head to face Richard Ryan nodded towards the small corner with gloves on a rack, “Go get some.” He said sharply before turning his attention back to the torches.

Making his way over to the rack Richard looked down at the padded gloves, they were a lot thicker than the once he had on. Reaching up he removed his black cloak from around his neck hanging it on a peg on the wall. He then removed his black gloves and placed them on a chair under the peg. When he was done changing to only things he had on was pants and a t-shirt, along with the gloved on the shelf.

Reaching out he grabbed the second pair then walked over to Ryan that was standing near a dark blue punching bag. Tossing the gloves over to the older man Richard rolled his shoulders around getting ready for the workout.

Placing the brown gloves onto his ages hands Ryan went behind the punching bag and placed his hands on it keeping it in place. “Show me what you got boy.” He said his voice muffled.

Taping the gloves onto his own hands Richard walked up to where Ryan was just on the opposite side of the punching bag, The tar floor beneath his feet helping him hold a firm grip for what he was about to do.

Balling his hand into tight fists with one swift movement he punched the bag full of sand, it didn’t move as Ryan kept a firm hold.

Richard repeated this motion over and over, hitting the punching bag in the same place every time, each hit holding more force than the last as he took his frustration out on it. When his hands got a little sour from hitting over and over again he added a few kicks to the side of the bag, sending a loud bang through the room whenever he hit it.

“Good. Now keep going.” Ryan ordered when Richard took a step back to catch his breath.

Whipping his forehead to remove the sweat that was building up, Richard returned to his fighting stance and resumed hitting the punching bag. His muscles aced with every hit, but he kept on going his anger not satisfied.

“Is that all you got Richard?” Ryan yelled, frustration in his voice.

Gritting his teeth Richard pulled back his fist everything he had was in this plow and he was going to make it count. When his fist collided with the sandbag, it didn’t just bounce off of it, it went right through the fabric and into the sand inside.

Pulling his gloved fist out of the hole he had made, Richard watched the fine white sand inside fall onto the tar floor below.

“Better.” Ryan said coming out from the sagging bag, “Although you should punch like that in the beginning.” He folded his arms and let out a low laugh, though the laugh soon faded and he looked towards Richard again. “Right I think it’s time for us to spar a little, with weapons.”

Richard nodded. “Yes, sir.”

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:08 pm
felistia wrote a review...

Hi FlamingPhoenix, Felistia here with another review for you. :D

First off love the dialogue, got a little chuckle from me. However I found the dialogue tag a bit long, like you were trying to include too much information. I see why you were trying to do it as you need to set up the scene, but try splitting it up into two or three sentences with the same information for a better flow. :D

Stopping in his tracks, Richard cringed and turned to face the old man, his green eyes piercing him with an icy gaze.

This might just be me, but the first time I read this I though the green eyes were Richard's not the man's. Maybe swap it around like this
Stopping in his tracks, Richard cringed and turned to face him, the old man's green eyes piercing him with an icy gaze.

Just a suggestion. Lovely description by the way.

stuffing the blue ruby from before in one of his pockets.

Nit-pick warning: I don't believe you get blue rubies. Sapphires yes, but not rubies. I think they come in reds, pinks and oranges.

The old man stood up from the wall and walked up to Richard. “Look my boy…you can’t be out there playing hero all the time, in fact, you shouldn’t even be out there.”

He saw right through his lie. Lol. Great dialogue again. The only thing is you said out there twice in the same sentence. Maybe reword it so that you don't have repeat.

He folded his arms as he began to scold the young boy. “You’re only nineteen, and your mother and father left me to look after you, to get you ready for the hardships of this kingdom, and what are you doing? You’re out there getting yourself into trouble!” He barked his eyes burning with rage, but his aged face calm.

Nothing wrong here, just love everything about it. :D

Ryan let out an aged sigh the small white hairs around his mouth bristling with the motion. “First off, you’re not allowed to kill, it’s against the law.
I thought he'd have a bigger reaction to this. I mean it is against the law. What if someone finds the body? They might be able to trace Richard to the murder. It sounded like there were still people up and about when he killed the man so maybe there are witnesses?

His forest green eyes canning over Richard.

I think there might be a spelling mistake here with the work: canning?

Glancing down at the pouch attached to his leg he slowly reached into it removing the sapphire gem that was wrapped in a worn-out cloth, the brown fabric doing nothing to hide the blue color of the gem

Why did you call it sapphire here when you called it a ruby earlier? On another note though, I love the description of the cloth not being able to hide the jewel. I get the image of a gem burning bright blue.

“Why would the king be after this? It doesn’t hold any value, it would be a lot of money, but the king already has all the money in the world.”

Theory: It's got some sort of magical property right or is a key to unlock something?

Okay that's it for the review. Here are my overall thoughts.

First off I loved the training scene. I do wish you had given a little more description of the room before starting, but other than that it was good.

Just as in the last chapter I'd recommend checking through your grammar as there are a lot of places where you've misplaced a comma, run two sentences into one and so on.

Plot wise I'm curious to see what the gem is and what it's importance is. I'm also interested to see more of your world. It sounds like it could be really fascinating. Anyway, that's all I have for now.

I'll read your next chapter soon.

Best regards
Felistia.

[quote]

Thank you for the review! :D It was supper helpful! Yes I know my grammar and spelling isn't so good here, but don't worry I get better.
I'm also glad your enjoying it!

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world)

The review train is gathering steam,

First Impression: Nice little training sequence. And nice little sprinkling of backstory there. You made it smooth enough that it fit right in without feeling like it was forced in there.

Anyway on with it,

Well that brings back memories. Anyway that Richard Ashbrook seems a little forced. You don't normally call people by their full name. Bit of a nitpick but it just seems a little unlikely.

Again the Uncle Ryan appears to be for our benefit (which it obviously is) and so it sounds a little weird. Like in that sort of context you would never just randomly say Uncle Ryan.

immediately I now want to know what this guy's backstory is.

Couple of things. First of all that should be ASAP I think. And also if this is his uncle and he taught Richard's father that would mean the uncle was teaching his brother. So is Ryan like significantly older than Richard's father? Or did they like learn together?

Letting out a much-needed breath Richard leaned against the poll he hung the rains he was using for Thunder on.

Pretty sure those are meant to be pole and reins.

Glancing down at the pouch attached to his leg he slowly reached into it removing the sapphire gem that was wrapped in a worn-out cloth, the brown fabric doing nothing to hide the blue color of the gem. Creasing his eyebrows together Richard began to twist the gem around in his hand. “Why would the king be after this? It doesn’t hold any value, it would be a lot of money, but the king already has all the money in the world.”

"Theory Neurons: MAN YOUR BATTLE STATIONS!!!"
That gem is not what it seems is it?

It didn’t take Richard long to find the room he was looking for, turning into the room he stopped at the door, he watched as Ryan walked around with a large torch in his right-hand lighting all the unlit torches.

That's unnecessary there. Like obviously you don't light torches that are already lit.

That's a lovely description there.

That's impressive. Also it hurts like hell to do that. Good thing he was wearing gloves.

Richard nodded. “Yes, sir.”

Looking forward to that.

Anyway that's it for this chapter.

Overall: Nice chapter. We get a good introduction to our two characters. Their personalities are immediately shining through and they are both very likable. Going pretty good so far.

Once again I hope I didn't repeat anything. And as always remember to take what you think is helpful and forget the rest.

Again thank you for the review! There is so much I can't wait for you to read! I'm getting all excited!
There were a few things in this review I hadn't seen before and I'm glad you pointed them out so I can fix them later! This is really helping!

I was worried there wasn't enough character development, but you say there's enough. :D I can't wait to hear your thought on the next chapter.

KateHardy says...

Your Welcome!!
And yeah that's plenty of development at this point.

Cool!

KateHardy says...

:)

writerkitty wrote a review...

WHOA... So the trainer is his uncle, and Richard's parents used to train just like him and they also conspired against the evil king! :O

*ahem* Onto the actual review...

I just had to read this chapter right after finishing the first one, because my curiosity got the best of me.
Just like the first chapter, this one was pretty interesting as well, and I really enjoyed reading it. So I was kinda right about the whole trainer thing mentioned in the first chapter but I didn't expect them to be related. ^-^ I really like Richard's uncle, he seems like a calm, wise man with lots of skills. And he's got a stern and strict attitude too...I like how he balances his anger and calmness when it comes to advising Richard; who's still a teenager who seems to highly focused on defeating the evil ruler.

When considering this chapter and the previous one, it became quite clear that Richard has good motives, but his anger and the strong will seems to overpower him to act quite brutally sometimes. (which was shown during the chase and during practice)

I'm curious to know what happened to Richard's parents...Are they dead, or are they on a secret mission or something? Anywho, it's pretty evident that they too, just like Richard underwent a lot of training. That's kinda why I want to know what had happened to them. Did they fail to properly execute their mission? Guess it'll be revealed at some point... until then I'll just let my curiosity grow.

I KNEW THERE WAS SOMETHING ODD ABOUT THE RUBY! :O

I'm super intrigued to know why the king wanted it! And now that it's in Richard's hands I'm more curious to know what it's able to do...I highly doubt that's just a regular ruby. Maybe it wields magical powers... :O

Okay, just as in the previous chapter, your descriptions in this chapter was amazing! And you've gotten really good at writing action scenes. :D And the balance between description and dialogue is really good too. ^^ Good job!

I really like the flow of your story, it's not rushed and reveals just the right amount of detail in each chapter. :D Another thing I like about your novel is that it doesn't info dump, which I'm not a big fan of... :D I like how you mentioned the age, name and the few other information about Richard in the second chapter rather than in the first one, while you gave a physical description in the first one. :D It just feels perfectly balanced. ^^

This chapter didn't reveal a lot about what's about to come, but the readers got to meet the trainer, learn a bit about Richard's parents and motives and more about his personality as well.
I'm quite intrigued to read the next chapter now. Your story is building up quite nicely and I can't wait to see where this is heading!

Onto the Nit-picks and suggestions,

There were a few places where you haven't used commas, but I think you'd be able to find them if you re-read the chapter carefully. But, if you can't or need any assistance, just let me know! ^^

When he was done changing to only things he had on was pants and a t-shirt, along with the gloved on the shelf.

Maybe it's just me, but this sentence seems a little confusing...maybe try changing it a bit.

Gritting his teeth Richard pulled back his fist everything he had was in this plow and he was going to make it count.

I think you meant 'blow'

That's all for now! ^-^ I'm off to read the next chapter~

Keep writing my friend!
writerkitty

Again thank you so much for the chapter, I'll go through it as soon as I can and fix it up.

I'm happy you're enjoying it so far, i was a little worried I rushed things, a but your review is helping with that. With you pointing out things like Richard's parents is giving me some good ideas for later, and what the reader wants so keep that up. :D

Look forward to the next review.

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:44 pm
shieldmaiden wrote a review...

Hey Phoenix!

Great story. I was really impressed with the description in the training sequence. By any chance, have you trained in martial arts? Or just a really avid reader? It seemed believable (well up to when he punched right through the bag ... but this is a story where anything can happen).

The description was fantastic and I am really curious as to who Richard really is. It seems that his heritage is very important. For a second you even had me thinking that he was the prince ... but then I remembered that the king was bad and not his father.

Great chapter and left the reader desiring more. So many questions. Like, what happened to Richard's parents? Who is this Ryan fella? Why all the training? What is the gem's purpose? What does the King have planned? Ooooh! Really excited to see what you have planned with this. Look forward to reading more!

-Shieldmaiden

Thank you so much shield for the amazing review, I'm glad I got you hooked.
No I didn't train in martial arts, I just read a lot of action books, and I'm getting better at putting the image I have in my head out in words.
But it's nice to know I got it across.
Thanks for the review.

shieldmaiden says...

Yep, you did a great job!:)

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:32 am
Lib wrote a review...

Hey Flames!

Hope you're doing well today or tonight, depending on what side of the world you're on, obviously. I'm here to give you a review, like I promised yesterday. Let's get straight into it now!

The plot seems to be going well. Nothing feels forced, and I like this Richard boy and Ryan man. They seem like interesting people, hehe. Everything anchors well, and it none of it seemed off or anything. You did great with your tenses and grammar. Great job! :smt023

A few things I want to point out before I start wrapping up the review~

The man standing in the corner of the stables barked when he saw the nineteen-year-old boy sneak inside with his horse being led by the rains.

Spelling mistake here! The bold word is supposed to be reins, actually.

Clicking his tong Ryan shook his head,

Another spelling mistake. I'm pretty sure you meant the bold word to be tongue. :)

'Nother mistake. The bold word is supposed to be pole, and then I already told you about rains actually being reins.

Over here, at the bold spot, either the comma needs to be a period and everything else is good, or the capital "t" is The should be uncapitalized and everything's good. Honestly, the best thing to do would probably changing the comma to a period, but it's your choice, obviously. ;)

And lastly, you should watch out for your commas. Some places, you need them, some places you don't. I found this site on google which should help with that. It's from a pretty strong resource, aka, Purdue University.

Alright, that's it for my review! Overall, great chapter, and I can't wait for the next one. And, of course, if you have any questions, don't feel shy to ask me.

And as always...

~Liberty

Thanks Lib for the amazing review!! XD know matter how many times I read through a chapter mistakes always seem to make their way through! It's so annoying!
Anyway thank you so much for the review! :D

Lib says...

It happens. ^^ Of course!

The blood jet is poetry and there is no stopping it.
— Sylvia Plath