Conquest of Shadows Chapter 1

by FlamingPhoenix

The sound of footsteps beating against the ruble streets filled the air as a young man clad in a black cloak ran through the streets, small puffs of air escaped his mouth as he ran in pursuit of the runaway ahead. He kept his head clear of any thoughts as he focused on keeping his legs moving. The people that were busy doing their daily chores darted out of the way, letting out small yells of fright, as the two running people passed.

The young man in the cloak’s dark blue eyes darted from one place to the next in need of a way to get ahead of the person in front of him, when he saw a space between two buildings he quickly made a sharp turn having to kick his legs out along the ground and place one of his gloved hands onto the sand to help with the turn he hurriedly got back on his feet again racing down the ally, the darkness engulfing him in shadows as he ran.

Not taking a second to think he made a sharp turn to the right, running along the back of the building. As he did, he reached behind him with his right hand and removed his long silver sword from its sheath. Up ahead he could see another small gap between two more buildings. Making a dart for it, he lifted his sword above his left shoulder and made a swift slice at the entrance, his sword colliding with the legs of the person he was pursuing.

Crying out in pain the other man fell to his knees sending a cloud of dust to the air. Lifting his left elbow the blue eyes man jabbed it into the other man’s back sending him even further to the floor, sweat, and dust covering his face the fallen man looked up at the cloaked figure his dark brown eyes full of pain and hate.

Leaning down he swiftly placed the sword at the dusty man’s neck. “Now where are you off to in such a hurry?” He asked his blue eyes traveling along the other man’s body until he found what he was looking for. Reaching out he removed a small pouch from the belt wrapped around the man’s waist.

Placing a foot on the chief’s back to keep him from wriggling away, he began to open the small pouch, the clast keeping it closed became undone as he flicked it open with his index finger. Inside lay a blue jewel that was wrapped in a fine paper. Removing it from the pouch he held it up to the light, the sun hitting its surface making it to blinding to look at.

The cloaked man snarled under the mask that covered his face up to his nose, “This belongs to the people! What are you doing with it?” He asked, putting his weight down on the man on the ground.

“I will tell you nothing!” The other man spat, dust flying away from his mouth as he spoke.

“Do you want to rethink your answer?” The masked man asked as he placed the sword he has jabbed into the earth earlier back at his neck.

Gritting his teeth and lifting his neck as far away from the sword as he could the other man slowly began to talk. “The king! He ordered me to steal the jewel!”

Blue eyes widening the masked man began to push further. “Why?” He hissed out.

“I don’t know why!” The man in the sand yelled his eyes glued to the sword that was at his neck. “He just told me I would get a lot of money if I did what he told me to do.”

“So you do his bidding and take form the people for money?” The masked man hissed out his blue eyes full of hate.

“Yes!” The other man yelled back.

Not needing any further answers the masked man ended the other man’s life in a split second. He couldn’t believe the king would send other people to do his dirty work. He watched as the man’s body fell to the floor below him. Removing a cloth from one of the brown pouches on his pants he slid it across the blade of his sword removing the crimson blood.

Standing to his full height the mast man removed the mask his golden skin shimmering with sweat, placing his thumb and index finger in his mouth, he blew and a high pitch noise came from his mouth.

A little while passed when suddenly the sound of hooves could be heard running along the dirt. Placing the mask back in place the man smiled underneath it. “Hi, boy.” He greeted the horse that came trotting towards him. His black mane blowing in the cool breeze. His black muscly body rippling as he stamped his hooves.

Grabbing hold of the reins around the horse's neck the cloaked man hoisted himself up onto the stallion’s back, the leather saddle making it easier for him to remain on the horse. “Let’s go, boy.” He said as he beat his legs on the horse’s sides starting him off in a slow trot towards the mountains on the horizon.

Slowly the two made their way home, the golden sun sinking behind the dark mountains in the distance, an array of colors burst through the sky, sending light purples, oranges yellows, and reds into the darkening sky.

Wanting to get home before his trainer found out he was gone the cloaked figure beat his horse’s sides getting him into a run through the forest they were approaching.

The village was surrounded by a lush vast forest, providing the people with the food that was needed, they also hunted the animals that roamed the forest. Life in the village was simple for the most part, but when you have a greedy king always wanting more money, and always s wanting to expand his kingdom that’s when things become a little more complicated.

Removing the cloak from his head the man just let the wind run it icy grip through his spiky blond hair, his eyes sparkling with the joy of the run he quickly made his way home. He one day will set things right, even if it takes a lifetime.

felistia wrote a review...

Hi FlamingPhoenix, Felistia here was review for you.

Anyway onto the review.

The people that were busy doing their daily chores darted out of the way, letting out small yells of fright, as the two running people passed.

This sentence came across as a bit clunky. Maybe reword it. I'm terrible at explaining so I'll show you what I mean. Here's an idea.
People going about there day darted out the way with small yelps of fright as the two men ran past.

You don't have to write it that way. I was just demonstrating how you could reword it to make it flow better. :D This goes for quite a few of the sentences in this chapter. Look through and if you find your self stumbling as you read the sentence consider writing it in a different way or remove unnecessary words.

This is a very long sentence and runs on. Break it up into three to four pieces to have it flow better. :D

Having said that I love the way you described the action. It was very easy to picture and was a great move for the main character.

Love this sequence. You do a really great job when it comes to describing how your character moves and reactions to the situation. However I do have one nit-pick. You say sword a lot in this passage. Use other words such as weapon, blade, etc. If your character is using a long sword you could even use the word katana

Lifting his left elbow the blue eyes man jabbed it into the other man’s back sending him even further to the floor, sweat, and dust covering his face the fallen man looked up at the cloaked figure his dark brown eyes full of pain and hate.

Another great example of you showing and not telling. However I didn't feel that the very last bit read as well as the rest. This is an example where you could use more interesting words. Here's an example

Lifting his left elbow the blue eyes man jabbed it into the other man’s back sending him even further to the floor. Pain twisted the fallen man's sweaty face as he looked up at the cloaked figure, his dark brown eyes boiling with hate.

Again you don't have to write it this way. It's just an example. Also I took out dust as you used it in this paragraph already and in the next sentence you say this.
Leaning down he swiftly placed the sword at the dusty man’s neck.
so I don't think you need it three times.

No nit-picks here. Just wanted to say that I love your dialogue. It's the part I struggle with when it comes to writing.

The masked man hissed out his blue eyes full of hate.

Okay just a general issue here. You describe this cloaked man as having blue eyes a lot. I like that you do that to keep the reader aware of which man is who, but you can use other words other than blue to describe it such as sapphire, azure, cobalt, etc.

“Yes!” The other man yelled back.

Not the smartest answer. Lol.

A little while passed when suddenly the sound of hooves could be heard running along the dirt.
I think instead of telling the reader that there are hooves running against the dirt, add in the sort of sound it would make. Would it be pounding, clopping, thudding, etc.

While this is a good description, it could be better if you added more description towards the end instead of listing off the colors. :D

I feel that this is an awkward paragraph is comparison to your others. You do a lot of telling rather than showing here. If it's your character's thoughts then make it that, but as you've written it, it feel more like narration.

Love the way you ended this chapter. Perfect.

Overall thought.

Overall an interesting first chapter. Don't know the main characters name yet, but he is compelling. From what I can see in this first chapter he seems to have a strong sense of what is right, however I get the feeling that he is also a little reckless.

On another note, you have to fix your grammar in that chapter. More so than spelling mistakes. There are a bunch of places where you use a comma instead of a full stop and it makes reading the story quite difficult.

I know that you're going to come back to edit this chapter when you've finished the first draft of the story, but I'd recommend just editing out the spelling and grammar mistakes as they take away from the chapter which is written really well.

Hope this review was helpful. Look forward to reading more from you. Please tag me for the next chapters.

Best regards
Felistia.

Thank you so much for the review! Its was a great help! I'm glad your enjoying it!
I'll come back and edit it soon!
Again thanks for the review!

Starting things off. Let's see how far I get.

First Impression: Nice little action scene to start. Establishes a bit of a conflict from the get go with this king character. And a pretty likable protagonists.

Okay let's get cracking...

The sound of footsteps beating against the ruble streets filled the air as a young man clad in a black cloak ran through the streets, small puffs of air escaped his mouth as he ran in pursuit of the runaway ahead.

So that's not wrong or anything but when you put it that way it doesn't as much impact as a verb like panting for example. So a word like that would convey this a bit better.

That's a pretty cool move but the thing here is that this entire paragraph is one sentence and it shows like four different things happening. I think it would flow better if you cut this up into about three shorter sentences. Like one sentence to spot the space, one to do the sliding turn thing and one to get up and run into it.

As he did, he reached behind him with his right hand and removed his long silver sword from its sheath.

This is a cool move again except for one nitpick. So you mention reaching for the sword behind him. Now I have used a couple of sword in my time and there is a fact that unless the sword is really short like one and a half feet. If its a standard sword and I'm guessing it is when you say long sword it is physically impossible to take that thing out. Trust me I'm speaking from experience. Just a little nitpick. Sorry.

This is a great description right here. Also OUCH.

Placing a foot on the chief’s back to keep him from wriggling away, he began to open the small pouch, the clast keeping it closed became undone as he flicked it open with his index finger.

That's supposed to be clasp I think.

One thing. That's from

Also this is a brilliant premise here. Really great way to start off a story. I got instantly hooked.

Removing a cloth from one of the brown pouches on his pants he slid it across the blade of his sword removing the crimson blood.

*round of applause*
So many writers forget that you have to keep your swords clean. Good on you for remembering that.

This is a lovely description.

The village was surrounded by a lush vast forest, providing the people with the food that was needed, they also hunted the animals that roamed the forest.

To my knowledge this isn't grammatically wrong, but its a bit awkward to read. This would sound better if you just used one of those two words and then used something else to convey the other one later on.

He one day will set things right, even if it takes a lifetime.

That's a great way to end a first chapter but the order is a little off there. I think it would sound much smoother as: [i]One day, he will set things right. Even if it takes a lifetime[/i}
Just read the two and see which one sounds better.

And that's it for this first chapter.

Overall: Amazing opening chapter. Sounds like a really interesting premise. Now let's go tackle the rest of this.

And of course remember to take what you think is helpful and forget the rest.

And since this already has a few reviews I hope I didn't repeat anything and didn't sound to harsh.

Thank you so much for the amazing review! I haven't read this chapter in a wile and I can see all the mistakes you pointed out. This review was a real help!
I'm glad you like it so far, I was worried it wouldn't be so good. :D
Enjoy the rest!

KateHardy says...

Your Welcome!! It really is great.

Glad to hear!

KateHardy says...

:)

mythh wrote a review...

I loved everything about this start - a dramatic one. There wasn't even a slight trace of missed out detail and I could picture the entire chase as it went.

So these are the list of things I love about this chaper.

1. THE DESCRIPTION and I'm sure this one thing is going to be on top in every list I make for your stories. Like I said. Everything just flows into my head like a picture as if it wasn't ever written in words.
For example,
"Slowly the two made their way home, the golden sun sinking behind the dark mountains in the distance, an array of colors burst through the sky, sending light purples, oranges yellows, and reds into the darkening sky."
This was such a simple but beautiful image. That's the best thing about your descriptions - imagery.
2. The fighting. This could be included in descriptions but FIGHTS ARE JUST A WHOLE DIFFERENT ASPECT!

3. The protagonist and his horse. Though we don't know his name or anything, he seems so familiar already.

I found nothing wrong with the story except for typos and a few change in tenses(one or two). I'm sure you can correct that by just reading once more. So yeah. That's my review. Keep writing!!

Yours sincerely,
Grav :D

(Am I being too formal? Here's a redo of that closing part)

Your WRITING BUDDY,
MYTH! XD

XD thank you so much for the review Myth! I loved everything about it! I look forward to seeing more reviews, and most of all your reactions! *evil laugh*
Description would be one of the better things in the story because its my strong point, so if you feel it is mission in places, feel free to paint it out, you can never have to much description in a fantasy world.

writerkitty wrote a review...

^^ Hey Flame! Writerkitty's here with a review for you :D

I must say, this was surely one action-packed first chapter! I really like the storyline here; a mysterious hidden figure trying to correct the ruler's wrongdoing, and help the innocent. But I think it's too early to predict anything, so I'm just going to keep on reading to see where this story is heading.

I already really like the protagonist; he seems to pretty skilful in combat and pretty straightforward as well. And I admire his determination and will to set things right again. He may be a tad brutal when it comes to punishing the enemies, but I still don't know much about how dangerous the foes are here, and I know even less about the rules and laws in the world, so I'm going to assume his actions are considered to be 'normal' But still, the protagonist went as far as killing the guy even though he knew the man stole the jewel because the king wanted it. So I'm thinking, the main character must've witnessed such situations quite often to the point that he's 'tired of it' and wants to put an end to everyone behind all the wrongdoing. Which was stated more clearly at the end of the chapter,

I just love, learning little details and figuring things on my own about the characters...and later learning whether my assumptions were true or not xD

Another thing I really like about your writing, are the descriptions. :D You were always really good at it, and I really loved how you described the village and the overall setting, the horse and what's going on around during the chase. :D It really made things more interesting.

Hmm... this line was quite interesting. So our masked hero has a trainer as well...I'm thinking there's a whole alliance in the village working against the evil king? Or maybe the trainer is just helping the protagonist learn combat skills. ^-^ Guess I'll just have to keep reading to find out.

The blue jewel seems to be an important component of the story as well... I'm wondering whether it has more of a story to it rather than being a possession of a normal villager. If the king himself wanted it so badly, there must be a reason for him to send men to steal it... hmm... interesting

Alright, that's all I have to say regarding the plot and characters, now onto the nitpicks and suggestions! :D

The young man in the cloak's dark blue eyes darted from one place to the next in need of a way to get ahead of the person in front of him, when he saw a space between two buildings he quickly made a sharp turn having to kick his legs out along the ground and place one of his gloved hands onto the sand to help with the turn he hurriedly got back on his feet again racing down the ally, the darkness engulfing him in shadows as he ran.

The description here is really good, but I think it seems a bit too wordy. Maybe you can break this into two sentences to make it easier for the reader to grasp all the detail, like this,

The cloaked man's dark blue eyes darted from one place to the next in need of a way to get ahead of the person in front of him. When he saw a space between two buildings, he quickly made a sharp turn having to kick his legs out along the ground and place one of his gloved hands onto the sand to help with the turn. He hurriedly got back on his feet again racing down the ally, the darkness engulfing him in shadows as he ran.

There were a few places where you've missed a few commas, but this is just me being extremely nit-picky so this is just a really minor error :D

Up ahead, he could see another small gap between two more buildings.

Crying out in pain,the other man fell to his knees, sending a cloud of dust to the air.

There were a few more like these, but I think you get the idea now :D

This is another suggestion, so feel free to ignore it. I think this sentence also seems a bit too wordy and disrupts the flow of the sentence,

The cloaked man snarled under the mask which covered his face up to his nose, "This belongs to the people!

Maybe you can change it a bit to something like,

The cloaked man snarled under the mask which only revealed his eyes, "This belongs to the people!
or

The cloaked man snarled under the mask which covered half of his face, "This belongs to the people!

^^ That's all for now, this was a really interesting start and I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Your friend,
writerkitty (the potato)

Thank you so much for the review kitty, as you were pointing out those things I was mentally smacking myself because as you pointed them out I saw what was wrong with them. Lol

I'm happy you like how things are going, I look forward to your reaction to the other chapters. :D

Your reviewing is still as good as ever.

writerkitty says...

Hehe np! ^-^ Keep up the good work!!

I sure will! :D

shieldmaiden wrote a review...

Wow!!! This is such a great, amazing start. I immediately wanted to know more and I'm really curious about this world. What kind of king actually steals from his people. There are already taxes!!! What more does he want?! Very intriguing ... and who is this hero? Keep writing!!!
Your fan
-Sheildmaiden

Thanks for the kind words! the next chapter will be out next week!
I also look forward to your reactions later! *evil laugh* I didn't do that. *Looks around.*

Lib wrote a review...

Hiya Flames!

Hope you are doing well today or tonight, depending on what side of the world you're on, obviously. I'm here to give you a review for RevMo and to help this piece out of the Green Room. Let's get started, now, shall we? ^^

Alright, so I like this beginning. Very interesting. I have a suspicious feeling that this story is going to be mostly about the... Blue gem. That the King told the thief to steal. This should be interesting! The plot seems to be doing well so far, so great job with that. :)

I have a couple of critiques that I spotted before I'll wrap up this review. :P

Is it clast or clasp? I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Clast is a type of rock, heh.

Removing it from the pouch he held it up to the light, the sun hitting its surface making it to blinding to look at.

I'm pretty sure the bold word is supposed to have an extra "o". So then it'd be too.

“So you do his bidding and take form the people for money?”

The bold word is actually supposed to be "from". Not "form".

Alright, I'm done with my review, and I hope it helped in one way or the other. I overall enjoyed this chapter and I'm looking forward to the next. Of course, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me whenever.

And as always...

~Liberty

Oh thank you so much for the review Lib! I always miss the silly mistakes like that! It's a great help!

Lib says...

Sure thing. ^^

you ever say spidgit finner unironically?
— FireEyes