12+

David Pottle

by Rydia

David Pottle: In Loving Memory of

I remember your jumper was brown,
though the photo insists on grey,
and you sit on yesteryear's sofa 
like it was only yesterday.

And I wore the brooch you got me,
though it wasn't you who paid,
but you can't wear a black tape player
and the cigarette smoke will fade.

I remember you in the land of spain
where the sun burned through your skin,
but I saw it in a photograph;
our memories are thin.

And I stood in the short procession
and I sat in the lonely pews
and I didn't like black pudding
or the Magic Moment Blues.

But I remember your dog was Toby
and that's something we can share.
I called my character Tobias;
I'm not sure you'd really care.

And I watched them take your coffin
and I wondered: was it full
of ashes from your ashtray
and I marked the service dull.

I remember mother crying
but I don't think I cried at all;
I saved my tears for later
and lately I've let them fall. 

______________________
A free-write I may one day re-visit, though I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to share it with le madre, especially not without taking away some sections, which wouldn't be true to myself. We don't talk about my uncle. I think she'd like to but the realisation is always she knew him too well and I too little. 

Hi Rydia! Overall I really like this. It has powerful imagery and emotion and the rhythm works well. Pretty much all of my comments are nitpicks.

Grammatically, I think many of your stanzas should have a comma after the second line. Also "sunburn" is one word and I think "broach" is spelled "brooch".

I don't remember anything.

The rhyme here is shaky at best, and it throws off the flow. I'd either a) make the other line end in "ing" or b) rework this one. That's probably hard, but maybe you could do something about memories being thin?

and I wondered was I cruel.

Both the rhyming and grammar are awkward here. Full/cruel doesn't even feel like a slant rhyme to me. I wish I had a better suggestion but I really don't. Full and soul is a stronger rhyme that you could mess with if you wanted to. Or you could change "full" to "filled" and play with the rhymes that way.

Overall, I really like this. I can sort-of relate to the idea of having relatives that aren't talked about much (although in my case he's still alive as far as I know). Good job and keep writing!

NoirLumiere wrote a review...

Hey Rydia! I'm Noir, and I'll be your reviewer today. Let's rock.

Concept: Wow. This concept blew my mind! I have never even thought of a poem with this. The story you told with this poem was a pure joy to read, and it was utterly awesome! That is easily one of the best poems I've read in a while!

Rhythm: Where to begin? The rhythm with this poem was fluid as water. I felt no slip ups, and it was smooth and easy to read. Your use of rhyming was also great, except for one part.

I remember you on holiday
and the sun burn on your *skin*
but I saw it in a photograph;
I don't remember *anything*.

You could probably get away with putting "Anythin'" and it would rhyme. That was the only part that I felt could use help.

Grammar: Your grammar for the most part was excellent, but there were a few nit picks I had.

and I wondered was I *cruel.*

I believe a question mark would be appropriate here.

Overall: This poem was a blast to read. The concept was amazing. The rhythm was good with only a few bits of in continuity. The grammar only had a few mistakes.

This gets my rating of 9.5/10

This has been NoirLumiere, and there's your review. Good night, and keep rocking!

I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart; I am, I am, I am.
— Sylvia Plath