Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Squills - The YWS News

Squills 7/21-7/28/13

Reviews: 0
Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:14 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: featured articles about writing, art and the world of humanities, member interviews, shameless plugs and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Not only from the staff but also from you! Yes, as long as your item can be labeled with any of the above mentioned articles and it answers to YWS standards, rules and regulations, you can PM them to SquillsBot for them to be posted in the next Squills.

Visit the Reader's Corner for more information and other Squills activities.

Creative Staff
Spoiler! :
Founder:
AlfredSymon

Editor-In-Chief:
Hannah

Resource Manager:
SquillsBot

Girl with the Golden Pen:
SparkofDoubt

Storybook Reporter:
BlackNether12

Community Reporter:
Sapi

Reporters:
Cspr

megsug

So what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:15 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

CHRISTMAS IN JULY
Written by Hannah < PM: >

An off-and-on tradition that helps frequent reviewers avoid massively hording points into the millions, Christmas in July helped gifts and reviews make the rounds this past 13th and 14th of July.

32 hours into the event, 5847 gifts had been given.

2891 of those presents were sent from the top ten gifters alone, which meant @Hannah, @Rydia, @ShadowVyper, jordin, @Niebla, @Twit, @Griffinkeeper, Searria H., @StellaThomas, and @Kyllorac accounted for about half of the gifts given, while representing only eight percent of the 124 gifters at the time.

By the end of the event, 252 people had participated in gift giving, resulting in a grand total of 8215 gifts! Some big players came into the game a little late, resulting in a shuffling of the top ten givers. @SantaYWS, for example, burst onto the scene to surpass both @Hannah, who held her 666 reviews from the last marker, and @Audy, who had shot up to meet @Hannah with an equal 666 reviews. @SantaYWS posted 680 gifts during Christmas in July.

The others who joined the top ten included @PenguinAttack and @Twit, knocking out Searria H., @StellaThomas, and @Kyllorac by the end of the day.

People approached the day in different ways.

@Aquila90 decided to give gifts only to people he knew. He said she didn't really know what could make the event special, but enjoyed sending gifts and messages to his mentor, @ShadowVyper.

@Blackwood said of the gift-giving, that it was

a very good idea because while people were competing for the top, they needed more points, thus [they had] to do more reviews.

@Sapi, who ended up giving 36 gifts by the time the buzzer went off, had a specific method to decide when to send messages along with her gifts:

For members that I knew well, I sent messages to. If anyone sent me a gift with a message, I sent them back a gift with a message.

This year, in addition to the site-wide gift giving, YWSers gathered eagerly for a new event: Secret Santa Reviewing.

According to the terms on the sign up page, each participant would give two reviews to a name they received in a PM and receive two reviews from a different member.

@ArcticMonkey said,

I think it's really cool because everyone will get two really good reviews and you get to give two reviews yourself, sometimes to people you don't know.

Which was the case with @dreamwalkeramrita. She had a positive experience with the random selection of the Secret Santa PM. She said,

It was fun! I got to read a very talented writer's work which I might not have discovered on my own.

@Blackwood also had a good experience, but it started out a little strange.

As evidenced in this post from YWS Screencaps , you can see he was at first assigned to review @Big Brother! @Blackwood says he offered to perform two tasks for Big Brother since it had no works to review, but soon received a new partner from Nate. The new assignment turned out to be a good friend of @Blackwood’s, but it was still a growing experience that pushed @Blackwood to review his friend’s prose, where he usually reviews poetry.

Several members also had ideas about how the event might be improved next year.

@fireheartedkaratepup suggested that the Secret Santa event could be made more personal.

Maybe next time, the name could be given and the giver
could choose what they give. The could find out what a person enjoys and send them lots of pictures/gifs/videos of it. Or a short story, poem, picture, etc.

@Blackwood was gunning for even more competition.

There could be prizes for gift giving, or maybe spot prizes for notable Secret Santa reviews. If there were more celebration of reviews in general, then it would be very encouraging.

Lastly, if you just couldn’t get enough of the Christmas layout from Christmas in July, worry not!
You can recreate it by going to the board preferences tab on your settings dashboard (the gear button), and using the following resources.

Here’s the snowy background to plug in at the bottom of the page and the Santa-themed YWS logo to pull up in an extra tab and look at with holiday cheer. Be sure to check the box to repeat the background.

Edited: Changed Aquila90's gender pronouns to be accurate.
Last edited by SquillsBot on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:16 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE LOUNGE
Written by Ignorance < PM: >

The Lounge is the general socializing forum of YWS, where members can post social topics, share photos, say hellos and goodbyes, report friendly members, and any number of other activities. The subforums of The Lounge (in case you haven’t spotted them), are Homework Help , Official Polls , and Contests .

So which threads should you check out on your next visit?

Got amazing friends? Do you storybook with an excellent writer? Any mods helped you immensely? Whoever it is, come report them here for their good deeds, so everyone knows who to go to when they’d like to have a quality time.

Interested in seeing what someone looks like behind the screen? Taken a cute selfie and want to share it? Post it here! This is the thread to look around in and see the beauty of our wonderful members.

Seen something funny around the site? Can’t quite explain your experience in words? Whether it was in chat, on someone's profile, or even a post in a topic, screenshot it and post it here so everyone can have a good laugh!

Are you a faithful reviewer, who always works to empty the Green Room ? Why not become a Knight and earn badges for your noble deeds! The leaders of the Knights, @PenguinAttack and @Hannah say:

Loyal service is deemed to be, at this hour: ten Green Room reviews where your review appears as the first or second review on any literary work.

This means that 10 Green Room reviews are required to acquire both Knighthood and an official trophy on your YWS profile. Until then, you shall possess the honorable title of Green Room Squire! But what's a Green Room review, you ask? Why, it's a review on a work in the Green Room that has either 1 or 0 reviews before you complete yours!

What is this, you ask? How can you run a book club online? Well, as one of our own junior moderators, @Hannah, says:

From June 22nd to August 24th, we'll be reading a book a week and discussing our reactions to the plot, characters, craft, and impressions of each work.

Led by the helpful posters over at Writing Gooder, who will post a discussion starter every Saturday (and reminder posts on the preceding Wednesdays for those of us whose memories aren't exactly the best), YWS will engage site-wide around the table of what we like best: books.

This Book Club has already covered the following books:
The Great Gatsby, headed by @StellaThomas
The World's Wife, headed by @Rydia
The Little Prince, headed by @Hannah
The Giver, headed by @PenguinAttack
Before I Fall, headed by @Elinor%20Brynn

Find their discussion posts over at Writing Gooder .

That's all from me, folks! Tune in next week for more updates on The Lounge.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:18 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

AN INTERVIEW WITH OUR FEATURED MEMBER: ARCTICMONKEY

Written by Sapi < PM: >

Squills: What does being featured mean to you? What was your initial reaction when you found out?

ArcticMonkey: I was, and still am, really happy to find I was featured member, it's a great honour. My initial reaction was that I was quite surprised, to be honest, however still extremely happy and grateful.

S: What have you participated in / created on YWS that helped make you featured member, in your opinion?

A: I try my best to review regularly, and be a friendly member by greeting when I can, and helped newbies when they need it.

S: Do you have any advice for someone wanting to become a featured member?

A: Just try and be a helpful member by reviewing, greeting, and posting around regularly.

S: What's your YWS history? Was there a point when you started becoming really active?

A: ...This could be a long answer. I'll try and explain this as briefly as possible. I started coming on at the beginning of 2010, I was pretty active but I wouldn't say I was all that helpful- I did a few reviews but not that often. From 2010-2012 I went on fairly regularly. However, apart from a few odd visits, I didn't come on at all in 2012 until Christmas (when I got my laptop) so that I could actually go on more regularly. So yeah, most recently, I've been active since Christmas.

S: Do you have anyone you want to thank? Has anyone here been an inspiration or a mentor for you in the many years you have been on the site?

A: Pretty much everyone on here has been great help to me, so thank you -- yes, you reading this! However, if I need to be specific, one person I'd like to mention is @MiaParamore because I remember she used to help me with my writing and reviewing when I was a bit lost, so thanks!

S: Where is your favorite place to be on YWS?

A: The chatroom!

S: What do you think it means to be an active, helpful member?

A: Hmmm, maybe to be reviewing/greeting regularly. At the same time, also helping out other users as much as possible in different ways, maybe with any questions they have. Also, just to know what's going on around YWS by checking out posts in the Lounge and Information Desk.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:34 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
Written by ShadowVyper < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week's newest members to the site...

@wholesomereader has only been with us for less than a week, but has already started contributing lots of awesome reviews. Why not return the favor and give her a review on her work? Pan's Story. Forgotten Daughters Book

@tacimaci has also been busy reviewing this past week. Take a moment to check out her short story, Ragdoll

@Waffles has already started reviewing. Unfortunantly, she hasn't posted any works yet, so you can't return the favor, but you can go give her Welcome Mat Thread some love.

@kingofwernogs has already contributed many awesome reviews to the site, in the brief time that he's been with us. Go check out his story: The Man Who Talked To Fish

@SydniPopxx is just getting on her feet as a member of YWS. She's started reviewing; and I'm sure that with a bit of encouragement, she'll open up and give us some wonderful works to read.

@Valkyrie17 has been pouring out lots of great reviews since she joined a few, brief days ago. She's posted a few of her works too! I believe she's looking for help on a story she calls The Eyes

@justthisonce has already reviewed several works around the site, in the little time she's been a part of the family. Check out her story: She

@BlueSquare has given lots of awesome reviews in the short time she's been with us. She's currently looking for a writing partner.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to partner up with me and write a story! It can be any genre and about anything!

Can't get any better than that!

@Excalibur@ has jumped right to reviewing. She hasn't had a chance to post any literary works, yet, but has interacted some around the site. From what I've seen, she's a true Whovian. You now have something to chat about. Go!

@EverythingsFine started her time on YWS by giving lots of awesome reviews. Take a moment to give a review of your own on her fantasy piece, And the Beast Begins to Sing

@victoriadembinski is just starting to be active around the site. She's started reviewing, but hasn't posted any works for us to read. I'm sure that with a bit of goading, she'll give us some lovely pieces to read.

@KatyyMayy has been super busy reviewing the past few days, and has already posted several chapters of her novel. Read her story, Romancing the Devil: Chapter One . You can read all the way to Chapter Five before you'll have to prod her for more!

@Luke has been reviewing as well. He's also posted a song that he wrote, and his band recorded! Isn't that awesome? Check it out, Beside You

Other members who haven't had a chance to post yet, but are no less a part of our writing family, are:

@deathbyfire ~ @claiiirrre ~ @museoftheancients ~ @Grenade ~ @fredtheboss ~ @YuuTwo ~ @RosalynPerch ~ @funnylovetowrite14 ~ @KatrinaJ96 ~ @Kaykaybear7 ~ @Jordanmedina1 ~ @SantaYWS ~ @nothingpersonal ~ @dev024 ~ @GOYbitrhblist ~ @cherry21 ~ @Tylerzkid ~ @zanbaq ~ @Raven897 ~ @14yearsyoung ~ @PsychJock ~ @Watsonkay~ @Linelly ~ @zilhart ~ @Jumper ~ @LunaFang ~ @gracez716 ~ @sarahma96 ~ @pineapple13 ~ @RkPoetry ~ @GreenApples ~ @Bekare ~ @Anonymus ~ @summerstark ~ @Warpaint ~ @ADRiA ~ @Alpacalypse ~ @debz1002] ~ @rtw ~ @osnapitdavid ~ @arli021 ~ @MooMoo ~ @ElyGalvin ~ @JadeKnight ~ @WinterAngel ~ @Brandonman24 ~ @marika1582 ~ @Caliadrimme ~ @Shamishane ~ @Lebensborn ~ @ImmortaleHuntres ~ @bendeetz ~ @JakeNoel ~ @yaatoju ~ @Damnthatsrandom ~ @special164ever ~ @MichaelaNoelle ~ @Etherealwolf ~ @GlitterGabbi ~ @ash1670

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:35 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE GIRL WITH THE GOLDEN PEN
Written by SparkOfDoubt < PM: >

Welcome to The Girl with the Golden Pen, a feature where columnist SparkofDoubt answers writing questions submitted to her on her home thread .

This week, let’s explore ideas about over-stuffing novels with action and where to make paragraph breaks.

How do you include multiple plots and subplots in a novel without confusing and overwhelming the reader? There's a lot going on in my novel, and I'm afraid that it's just too much.
@MagnusBane

The key is to not become confused yourself! Create an outline. Make sure you write down exactly where and when things have happened, are happening, and are going to happen. When you know what's going on and have a clear picture in your head of exactly what information you need to convey to the reader, it will be easier to write your story so that everyone will know what you're saying! If you're really worried about it, why not ask another writer to look it over? They can point out anything you might have missed.

Oh wise, golden-penned girl,

I keep on thinking that my paragraphing for my stories/articles is wrong and that I'm creating new paragraphs in the wrong places. Is it possible for you to enlighten me with your knowledge and help me understand where and when to create paragraphs?
@therealme

The best thing to do is read it out loud. Paragraphs often go where the idea of the writing changes. Listen to your voice for a cue as to where the idea or flow of the writing has changed. Then, where you naturally feel there should be paragraphs, put them. Often times, that's all you might need to figure out paragraphing. The key is to not get too technical about it. If you do, you might make your paragraph breaks very abrupt without meaning to. Natural is the key.

Keep sending in questions to The Girl with the Golden Pen

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:35 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE PLACE TO BE: CLUBS
Written by Sapi < PM: >

One of the many awesome features of YWS is its clubs. You name it, there's a club for it, and clubs are a great tool to find and interact with like-minded YWSers. If you have never ventured into this realm, click on the tab at the top of your page labeled “Clubs” and have a look around. In addition, listed below are several clubs, new and old, that you might be interested in.

For the Older / Confident User:

If you've been around for a long time, know your way around, and enjoy welcoming the multitude of newbies that join YWS every day, you might want to check out The Welcoming Committee . This club is dedicated to providing thorough, friendly, and organized welcomes to everyone in need.

If you’re interested in joining the team, says the club creator, you should not be afraid to be yourselves in front of the new members. In addition,

[The] mission is to make sure that all members feel welcomed and fuzzy inside. Especially the members that have been on for a couple days but have gone unnoticed. It's also to make sure new members find the Buddy System and Welcome Mat. … every welcome would mean a lot to the members.

(Created by SushiSashimi333)

For the Poet, Experienced or Amateur:

Whether you've been writing, reviewing, and learning about poetry for years now, or you need some help refining your skills, Poetry Partners is the place for you. In this club, inexperienced poets are paired up with advanced poets to learn and to better their writing skills.

Q & A WITH THE CREATOR:

Q: What is the main idea or purpose of Poetry Partners?

A: It's hard to find friends in the poeting circle, for some reason, and I want to change that. We need to become a community. The point of this club is to help the younger poets find their legs and to help the older ones find make discoveries in their own work. The last goal of poetry partners is to encourage reviewing. Reviewing is such an important part of YWS.

Q: What are you looking for in a good mentor, and what are the requirements to apply?

A: I'm just looking for people who basically know what they're doing when it comes to poetry, and who are avid, strong reviewers. I also like to have mentors that have different skills, so that if an apprentice is looking for something special, they can seek out a mentor that does what they like or want to learn to do. I've yet to turn anyone away, because there truly aren't many poets on YWS that aren't amazing in their own way.

(Created by SparkOfDoubt)

For Everyone Wanting or Giving Advice

The YWS Advice Club is slowing down a bit in terms of activity, but it is still a great idea nonetheless. This is a club where you can seek advice of all sorts, for all YWSers in need! Anyone can both ask and give advice on any topic. From family problems, to concerns about friends, relationships, or school, you can find support here.

(Psst! If you’re looking for help with research or writing instead, there’s a whole forum dedicated to that called Ask an Expert !)
(Created by Fortissimo)

For The Avid Reader and Discusser of Books:

The YWS Book Club will begin reading and discussing books in the fall, and it needs lots of subscribers to be able to provide fun activities and discussions! If you like book clubs, go ahead and sign up!

According to the administrator of the club,

We'll be doing a combination of contemporary and classical works. They'll cover all kinds of genres, from romance to futuristic to historical to fantasy. There really will be something for everyone! One of our favorite thing to do when we read new books is to create playlists for them, so we'll be creating a playlist for each book with input from all the people reading!

And if you can’t quite wait until September, be sure to participate in The 10 Books of Summer: YWS Book Club 2013 until then!
(Created by SparkOfDoubt)

An Ancient Club, Useful to All:

The cure for writer's block! has not been posted in since 2011. Seeing as most of us have had writers block at some point or another, what's a better tool than a club to discuss tips and tricks among fellow writers? I believe this club can be revived!

As of yet, there are no forum threads, but you can look back through the old tips posted on the wall and continue the discussion on new threads in the forum. Talk about your writing problems and specific ways to remedy them. Take the old suggestions and add a new twist!
(Created by skebe)

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:36 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

AN HOUR WITH TRAINS
Written by Hannah < PM: >

Ding, ding, ding, ding. The blockades lower across the road on both sides of the track. Your car rolls to a halt and you know you're in for a considerable wait when you can't see an end to the train that comes rolling around the corner. As you consider how to spend your time while you endure the length of all that cargo, you realize you have two choices: you can either try to decipher the graffiti on each car or close your eyes and wait for the ding that will signal the lifting of the road block and the continuation of your day. Especially in the country, there's nothing you can do. There are no other roads to take. The train will keep going.

As author of the featured work Trains , @Carina, found out, sometimes trains keep going and keep going and eventually become more than just part of your commute. They can become part of your work ethic, your subject matter, and your musings on life. Hear her thoughts on her writing process, her works reception, and how she advises you deal with train crossings below.

Squills: First of all, could you share what inspired your piece, Trains?

Carina: To be honest, Trains was a one hour exercise for me. I thought about a perspective to write about – which, in this case, would be about a railroad engineer experiencing a horrifying death that he would have no control over – and set out writing it. It's a strong perspective topic to write about, and so it led me to type the story into words in under one hour.

S: Could you share some problems, obstacles, challenges, or breakthroughs you experienced during the writing process?

C: "This is a dumb idea, don't write it," might be what your mind is thinking, but as a writer, you must learn to trust your fingers instead. And that is exactly what I did with Trains; I didn't hesitate with anything I wrote. I just typed away.

During a one hour exercise, this [attitude] proves to be useful and helpful in strengthening writing skills, but there are downfalls. There is a lack of research from recklessly writing away, and the piece in general may just be a lacking in certain areas if not thought out thoroughly.

However, once again, as a one hour exercise, learning to trust your fingers is an excellent technique to become a better writer. Just write. Don't doubt. And write.

S: I think that's something a lot of young writers have struggled with. Your one-hour exercise seems a simple enough challenge to try to conquer writers block or a fear of the inner editor. I think once we overcome a fear like that, there's a very keen kind of relief that comes after. Did you experience a specific feeling when you came to the end of writing Trains?

C: After finishing Trains, I thought of one thing: I'm just glad the narrator of the piece is someone I didn't name, someone I didn't really put character into, someone I didn't really put much development or effort into. He was simply a narrator and someone telling a story, and he was just a mere character in a story.

I was glad because if I gave him these things, I would become too attached. I'd feel bad that the narrator has to experience what he did and live through it, and I'm sure the readers would too. However, this is a bit of a selfish reason; links like these are essential in a good story, but perhaps that's the whole idea of Trains.

It's not just a story; it's a concept, and the train could represent something more than just a train itself. I like to give flexibility in my stories and let the reader's imaginations wander without a definite answer, so I think I'll let yours wander along too.

S: That's certainly one way to welcome a reader in. And your piece seems to have welcomed in a whole host of readers! How did you feel when your work became featured?

C: Oh, I was surprised! It was more a pleasant "haha, oh my goodness!" moment than anything when I first saw my piece plastered on the front page.

S: Did you receive more reviews before or after you became featured?

C: Definitely after! It really does do wonders.

S: Do you feel like in order to respond to your reviewers, you'll be editing and producing a second version of this piece?

C: I've actually been thinking about it. As an exercise, I didn't really expect Trains to get featured, and after reading all the wonderful reviews and encouragement, I'm thinking about revising it and making it more serious. Stay tuned! :)

S: Thanks, Carina! Do you have any anecdotes about your own experiences with trains that you'd like to share?

C: Oh, yep. Trains take forever to go through a city, so instead of waiting around for them for an eternity, find a back way or secret road and go around it. ;) In case [you’re in the country], turn the car engine off to save gas, or crank the radio up loud and sing along if you're with friends.
Also, I hear the train whistle every night. I actually really like it, especially if it's storming or raining. It's comforting to hear, and perhaps that is one of the sparks of inspiration that led me to think about the topic of trains.

What are your sparks of inspiration? Are there trains near where you live? Have you considered writing a piece about their lonesome calls in the night or the way you imagine they’ll crash if you slip a penny on the tracks? How did you feel when you read Carina’s featured work ?

Remember to keep reading Squills in the future for more interviews with the authors of your favorite YWS works!

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:37 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

UNSUNG POETRY GEMS OF THE LITERARY FORUMS
Written by SparkOfDoubt < PM: >

This week, take a look at some of the less-loved but just as good poems that we might have missed along the way.

Forgotten Ripples Turn to Glass
By: @indieeloise

A gorgeous poem taken from the author's NaNoPo entries, this poem is written in a new kind of style for her, and I must say, she's done a fabulous job. The poem makes the reader feel nostalgic about old friends and forgotten wishes, and the reader starts to remember old things they've forgotten. It's truly a gorgeous poem.

Writer's Depression
By: @Cailey

This poem on writer’s block is a great representation of how every writer has felt at some time or another. If you're having trouble putting words to the page, this poem might make you feel just a little better. It understands, in its brutal honesty, exactly the way you feel when you cannot do the thing you love.

the moth
By: @Audy

This poem speaks for itself! It's a gorgeous poem, and the formatting is fabulously interesting! Audy never disappoints, and this poem is nothing short!

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:38 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

Written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here.

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Join the YWS Writing Gooder Book Club!

You might not have noticed yet, but there's a wealth of good discussion on over at YWS's official blog. We've covered books such as The Giver and The Great Gatsby, and will hop into Before I Fall with @Elinor%20Brynn later this week! If you've not already posted, what's stopping you? Check out our advertisement poster in the spoiler below.

Spoiler! :

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:39 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP - JULY 21st

Written by: SquillsBot < PM: >

A round up of active topics from around the site, brought to you by the diligent reporters at Squills. Very super convenient if you just like clicking lots of links or finding new topics to hang out in.
Now with 30 percent less fat!

Are you the kind of person who has a stack of books and a bookmark in each? Valkyrie just finished reading Alice in Wonderland, Girl, Missing, The Other Life, and Warm Bodies. She's currently

trying to get out of the habit of starting new books without finishing the ones [she is] currently reading!

And she's succeeding! Her current list is comprised of three books instead of four. So what has she moved on to? What in the world is Valkyrie reading now? Find out at the link above, and share your own current literary journeys.

Down, way down, towards the end of the list of YWS forums is a lonely little place called Poetry Tips and Discussion. It's not, however, so far away and lonely that YWSer @ImHero did not journey there to share with a fellow writer why he thinks Edgar Allen Poe is famous with more than a few kind words and a healthy dose of encouragement to the writer, @xXravenxX , who said,

How can you develop good writing techniques ? This is what I was meant to be ; I need help.

Can you help? Maybe this is finally the right place for you to use that name dictionary you keep on the corner of your desk? Here's what Yubbies is looking for:

Tall, adventurous, strong. He gets captured by slave traders along with most of his village. He's not quiet per say, but thoughtful, thinking carefully before speaking. I've thought of names that start with g for him, Galen and Gavan, but they just don't quite suit him. I do want a name that starts with a g. Help?

Because @dreamwalkeramrita does. Her gorgeous detailed drawings of her characters are just one of the habits she claims as weird writing quirks on a thread in Writers Corner designed for sharing just that. How about you? What do you do when you write? Maybe you've got to do a new yoga pose to center yourself before each new stanza? Do you wear the same socks anytime you type more of your novel?
Share here !

If you've only been a member since May, you might think it's a tradition to have a Free Work Day before every Review Day. Well, while Review Days are part of a solid tradition, according to @Nate,

having one twice in a row was a rarity.

So if you're saving that one work to post for free at the end of July, there's bad news! You'll have to review and earn the right to post it on your own.

There's no better place to find glory and great reward than the Contest subforum of The Lounge, and @Laminated has stepped up to be the one to give it to you. That is, if your story fits the criteria. The contest requires

One piece of poetry or prose, of any length, that captures a very specific moment; the feeling, sight, impression etc. of a point in time.

Start your writing engines, friends, 'cause this contest ends July 31st, with winners to be announced on August 7th.

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor