z

Young Writers Society

Squills 4/25/2016 - 4/30/2016

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:52 pm
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
megsug

General Editors
Gravity
Lavvie

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Community Reporter
AliceAfternoon

Resources Reporter
PretzelStick

Storybook Reporter

Quibbles Columnist
Lavvie

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Social Correspondent

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Pruno - Available - PM SquillsBot if interested
Gravity

Code Master

General Reporters
Morrigan

Guest Contributor
Aley

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:54 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THREE GUESTS, THREE QUESTIONS
YWS COMMUNITY
written by AliceAfternoon < PM: >

I joined Young Writers Society November 18, 2015 at 1:34 pm. I happened to stumbled upon the website looking for a place to share my novel. I didn't really know what I joined at the time and I kind of shook it off. A couple days later I came back on to YWS and I had all these notifications and I was confused, I didn't do anything yet except post the first chapter of my novel. Why would I be getting all these notifications? Turns out they were welcome messages from the lovely YWS community. I felt really excited and happy at the positivity and warm welcoming I got. :)

That's I wanted to write this article about the YWS community. I'm going to be interviewing three members from the community and ask them three questions about their YWS welcoming and things like that. Thank you to @heather, @Angrynoodles, and @cleverclogs for letting me interview them!

My first interview was with @cleverclogs:

Alice: Hey! How did you find YWS? (tell your story)

Cleverclogs: I found YWS after I wrote a short story that I wanted to share, but I was too shy to share it with people that I knew, like my family. I googled writers' forums on the internet looking for places to post where I would actually get feedback, when I came across YWS. I quickly made an account and posted my story, and after that, I was hooked. :D
This actually happened two years ago today! Today is my 2nd YWSiversary.

A: Oh! Happy YWSiversary!!!!

C: haha thanks! :D

A: What is your favorite thing about YWS/what do you like to do on YWS

C: I like that it's actually an active community. There are so many websites out there where you post things, but never get to hear what others think of it. As a result, you never actually improve. On YWS, everyone is active and dedicated to helping you with your work. They're also really welcoming, too. I remember being very flattered when people actually posted on my wall to welcome me to the site, because that sort of thing just doesn't happen in other places. I also like how I'm able to connect with like-minded people, because there aren't a lot of those in my area. For instance, there isn't an LGBT club or a Doctor Who club at my school, but the YWS clubs for these things make up for that and give me a chance to discuss things that are important to me.
It's also nice how you're able to get to know members and generally have fun. When everyone else at school gets on Instagram, I'm on YWS. :D

A: I totally agree! I think that's the best thing about YWS! :)

C: It's also nice how you're able to get to know members and generally have fun. When everyone else at school gets on Instagram, I'm on YWS.

A: I do the same thing!

A: If you could take this moment to thank the YWS community or someone in the YWS community for something what would it be?

C: Well, of course I'd like to thank @Nate and all the mods who make this site possible. I really appreciate all their hard work. :) I'd also like to give my friend @ChocolateCello a mention. She's become my YWS best friend through our shared gayness, love of Doctor Who, and many other things. I find myself just camping out on the site until I see her name pop up on chat. I chat with her whenever I can, and she's a big part of the reasons that I love YWS. Thank you, cello!
Of course, there are many other great YWSers, but I'd always feel like I'm leaving someone out if I kept going. :D

My next interview was with @Angrynoodles:

Alice: Ready for the first question? How did you find YWS? (tell your story)

Angrynoodles: I found YWS when I was writing my novel. I was looking for a place where I could read work from other teenagers and young adults. So after googling a few times I found it. I was pretty excited because everyone here comes together for their mutual love for writing and reading.

A: Awesome!

A: What is your favorite thing about YWS/what do you like to do on YWS?

A: I really enjoy the forums. I can find answers to nearly all my questions and if I can't, all I have to do is ask and someone will answer within a day or two.

A: If you could take this moment to thank the YWS community or someone in the YWS community for something what would it be?

A: Oh I know just the thing! A while back I found a long list of links to articles about many helpful tips for writing. The list was made by the one and only @BigBrother. Most of the articles were authored by @Snoink so thanks to both of them.
Link to the list if you wanna see it:
Writing Tutorials Article Index

A: Well that concludes the interview. Thanks so much!

A: You're welcome anytime haha.

My next interview was with @heather:

Alice: Hey! How did you find YWS? (tell your story)

Heather: Well I was into writing for a while, and my mum thought my writing was good so she said I should join some young writers' society. I googled "young writers society" And guess what came up :P I joined enthusiastically and found everyone to be ridiculously friendly! XD

A: What is your favorite thing about YWS/what do you like to do on YWS?

H: Well, I mainly like how there are lots of nice people around :3 I met my best friends here, married two wives ( @shiney1 and @lostthought ), befriended an elf ( @CarsonTheArson ), got myself a kitty ( @writerkitty ), and yesterday was lounging with a starfish ( @EverWinter ) :O That's cooler than the Arctic! So it's generally lots of fun ^_^

A: If you could take this moment to thank the YWS community or someone in the YWS community for something what would it be? (you can take this time to thank people or thank YWS)

H: I'd like to thank @hudz96, @Skydreamer, @KatKage, @CarsonTheArson, and @lostthought for probably being some of the most influential people in my life ^_^ I know other great friends, but I will probably never forget these five ever. Not all of those friendships are continuing or ended well, but still . . . . It was fun while it lasted :) I'd also like to thank @Nate for making all these friendships possible ^_^

Well! That was super emotional and sentimental :) I wanted to take this time to thank everyone in the YWS community and I wanted to dedicate an article to you guys. Every work that I've read on here I am so honored to be able to read it. I know how hard and difficult it can be to share your work. I agree with what @Angrynoodles said the amount of time and work the mods put into the helpful articles really pays off and I'm so grateful to the awesome advice I've received. I don't know why but I've been in a really weird mood where I am realizing the things I'm grateful for :) I was going to take this time to thank all my amazing friends but I'm worried I'd miss one or two so I'm just going to say that they know who they are :D and that they are the most amazing, beautiful people ever! I don't think I'd be where I am in writing right now without YWS so thank you @Nate and all of the YWS community! :)

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:56 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW

Known for her storybooks, quality reviews and being a knight of the green room, @lizzybookclubqueen1 was chosen for this week's featured member! lizzybookclubqueen1 describes herself as your average teenager with some weird jobs. Those jobs include being a consulting detective, time traveler, and a member of a fellowship. She loves reading, writing and Trivia Crack. Here's the interview I had with her:

Alice: Hey! I was wondering if you'd be up to asking a few questions for Squills now? :)

lizzybookclubqueen1: Sure.

A: What was your initial reaction when you found out about being featured member?

L: I found the notification after a lengthy review so I wasn't really paying attention to it. I just saw that somebody had tagged me and o figured it was about Review Day. And then after reading the post, I just fell into denial. It took me awhile to figure out why I would be chosen.

A: How does it feel to be this week's featured member ;) ?

L: It was exciting at first because all of these people are coming up and saying you deserved it and complimenting. It's very nice to have a positive feel about everything for a bit.

A: Why do you think you were chosen?

L: My only guess, once o really thought it through, would be the reviews. That is mostly what I do on the site, review and improve my reviews. And hang around chat at all hours of the day but mostly just review.

A: What would you say is the best part of being the new featured member?

L: The feeling of accomplishment. It's just like everyone has now realized what you do on the site and it gives a sort of meaning. As soon as they announced it, it made me feel happier. It's just nice to know you're recognized in some way.

A: If you would like to nominate anyone to be the next featured member, who would that be?

L: @Ellstar because he writes such very good reviews and stories. He always seems to be around helping people in some way.

A: Is being the featured member something you wanted or thought about before?

L: Featured Member is just sort of one of those things that floats around in the back of my mind on YWS goals of impossible things. I admit I thought about it at one point but in recent months it never came up.

A: Do you have any advice for someone who might want to be one of the future featured members?

L: I can't come up with anything specific but the main thing is, always be nice to people. Never go around it wrote reviews or comments or forum posts or anything that are rude in some way. I know a lot of people around the site but that's probably because of I see someone in chat I don't recognize, I strike up a conversation. It's really the old thing that they tell us in Computer class. This is an online community so you have to react to it like a real community. Make friends, talk to people and have fun.

A: Is there anyone you would like to thank?

L: Probably Ellstar and TheSilverFox because they are pretty much the only people I talk to here. They put up with my madness and completely weird ideas for novels and poems and just go along with it. For that I am very happy.

A: Thanks so much! Have a nice day, oh chosen one xD

L: Anytime. You have a nice day as well. And chosen one either sounds like Harry Potter or Luke Skywalker. I'll take that as a compliment.

Here's the link to lizzybookclubqueen1's wall , why don't you head on over there and congratulate her!

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:57 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS

Let's all take a moment to welcome the new members to YWS!

@ReviewBuddy has already earned their first star! Head on over to their wall to congratulate them.

@AshleyDashley has given 11 reviews and has earned her first star! Check out her wall to welcome and congratulate her!

@PoeticCowboy has started writing and publishing work as well as reviewing. He has already earned his first star. Head over to his wall to congratulate him.

@TMWoods has earned their first star. Check out their wall to congratulate them.

@Chappiez has earned her first star and has been giving quality reviews. Head over to her wall to welcome and congratulate her.

@Kpfakeaccount has earned his first star. Head over to his wall to congratulate him!

And here are the other new arrivals that have not yet had the chance to be as active...

@shubhams30@Emmykat93@Kpfakeaccount@dillon131222@rounak96@SassyReads@sheldoor@ijrdtjournal@brittlebones@karljohnston@RavenTillis1@sasah@HeyGirlLolz@alexmadison@cosmichayley@Elizabeth11@gregorygadlin1111@ThePimpKnight@bluestormrose@LxstInWxnderlxnd@Zayden@CharlotteIsla@IAmOutOfReality@JaredPerez@H22b@cupcakedaddy@DiyaShaiju@shaystan2017@HavYouCeenMyGum@chesiar@Ammnn28 • @Fictionwriter2020 • @Scistra@siriusblack8@jfowler97@Manielski@shafrin@NitishaC@Chappiez • @TMWoods • @greendog74@harshi@PoeticCowboy@Catlover123456@CiaraLockhart@memcLain@fangirl • @AshleyDashley • @Cookiesncream101 • @BunnySlippers • @Notrandomatall@BoluAkins01@ReviewBuddy@CarolineLithgow@SonaliSaxena@Clonkey99@Julsicle@L945@soulofcinder@LeianyDeoleo@snakeboy54@cardiology@geekygirl3100@AMG@JayP@Derpyloverkitty@JackDawson@hannaesthetic@zara17@Chaoticpiece • @TwidgiTyKiT • @niamhzoe@Lwoodall15@1412@RebelRidingWriter@abhi42@SkiesAsunder • @Cameronneill948 • @reneej@vibhojain@Ahanabali16@Ishybunny@charliekingree@eednamoj@AMerryKat113 • @Nora

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:58 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

This Week’s Round Up 4/24
written by megsug < PM: >

Get advice. Give advice. Vent. Reflect. Repeat.

Don’t run away! @Elinor wrote an article years ago that @Mialynire resurrected. The article hits on a few hard truths. When someone leaves a critical review, it can be tempting to lash out or just leave the site, but Elinor argues that neither is a good option. Lashing out will probably keep people from reviewing you in the future, and leaving the site keeps you from any further improvement. Instead, she suggests:

…Remain calm… It would be polite to message the reviewer thanking them for the critique; after all, they did sacrifice their personal time to give you advice. Perhaps you can explain to them parts that they misinterpreted, or tell them why you executed a certain part in a specific manner.

If you edit and post a new draft of your piece, it would be kind to message the reviewer then, as well.

Check out the entire article for good advice and logic.

@Zackymas loves thieves. He writes about them, and he wants to read more about them. He’s not picky about genre or setting. It can be fantasy or realistic. Modern day or historic. He just wants some suggestions. @Satira suggested:

a pretty amazing book called "A Darker Shade of Magic", by V.E. Schwab that might sort of fit your bill. There are two main characters and one of them is this super cool thief girl. The other mc isn't a thief but he's pretty crafty as well; he has the mindset of a thief.

The one thing Zackymas isn’t looking for is storylines like Mission Impossible. Suggest away!

@Meerkat is trying something new to inspire her next idea. She wants people to tell her what their most hated clichés are so she can avoid them. She wants to hear all of them no matter what, but since she’s mostly a fantasy writer, she would prefer clichés that can be related to fantasy. @Ellstar has a great pet peeve:

Once the protagonist meets their love interest for the first time, they suddenly forget how to properly handle a bow and arrow or fight and becomes a complete idiot. The author defends this claim by saying "love makes people stupid".

What cliché makes you dry heave?

@Meandbooks’ NaPo thread has been on fire this month! Her poems have a lot to do with growing up and childhood. My favorite poem is the one she’s entitled ‘18 Months:’

sisters always meant the other one was always there
it meant finding the perfect dress-up hat for your birthday party
or waking Mom in the middle of the night because you whispered to me
‘I’m scared.’
it meant shrieking quarrels and ‘I’m not playing anymore’
– and ten minutes later, ‘come see this!’
it means it’s always been me and you, you and me,
and that sometimes I thought we were twins
and you just took an extra eighteen months to come out.

Read the whole thread for some awesome verses.

Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:03 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

The Squills Serial Round Robin Contest

Click for more information about the exciting new Squills contest!

Now Hiring

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:04 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@heather@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @AdrianMoon • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @DeeDemesne • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Jhinx • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfie36 • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @SkyeWalker@Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria • @KatyaElefant • @Clickduncake • @Elysium • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Hattable@Lucia@donizback • @Falconer • @Sunset101 • @artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Magestorrow • @Meandbooks • @klennon14@fandomsNmusic

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Goos are anarchists.
— WeepingWisteria