z

Young Writers Society

Squills 6/1-6/8/14

Reviews: 0
Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:51 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editors-in-Chief
Iggy
Hannah

General Editors
ShadowVyper
KnightTeen

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Friendly Neighborhood Cow
CowLogic

Literary Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Community Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Resources Reporter
Tenyo

Storybook Reporter
AfterTheStorm

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Poetry Enchantress
Available -- PM SquillsBot if interested

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Quibbles Columnist
Available -- PM SquillsBot if interested

Social Correspondent
Iggy

Associate of Pruno
Blackwood

Media Critic
Kanome

Code Master
Avalon

General Reporters
Messenger
OliveDreams
whitewolfpuppy
defyinggravity01
ArcticMonkey
Aquestioning

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:52 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

AFTER THE CHOCOLATE CAKE IS GONE
written by ShadowVyper  < PM: >

Summer is nearly here. Some of us have been out of school for a few weeks now, some of us are trudging through the final few days that stand between us and freedom (hang on guys, we can make it!), but in any case it’s nearly a guarantee that we’ve all got fantasies of summer vacation dancing around in our minds. 

This is the time of the year that we all want to stay up too late, sleep most of the day, and do nothing at all productive. We certainly don’t want to be thinking about even more responsibilities coming our way. But, like it or not, next fall is coming, and fast, so Squills set out to see what YWS’ers plan to do once summer break is spent. 

I know that I, for one, am going to be at that beautiful stage where everyone seems to forget you exist: sophomore year. I will be returning to uni and starting a new job on campus in addition to taking three science courses pretty much I’m going to die, but nothing particularly exciting. I know that a lot of you are in quite an exciting (and possibly scary) time of your lives, however, as you’re finishing up one stage of your life with a graduation ceremony, and being thrust into the great unknown ahead of you. 

How was your graduation? Any crazy stories or strange traditions you’d like to share?

Well, I didn't go to the ceremony, and my program was online (and yes, entirely accredited!), so it wasn't exactly a traditional degree in the first place.
- @Meshugenah, December grad; Library and Information Science, M.S.

In light of her graduation not yet occurring, I modified the question for @megsug: Does your school/family have any crazy traditions or plans for graduation? 

XD Um... Not really. My school is crazy strict, but I'm the first of my generation of my family to graduate, so we don't really have any traditions yet. My dad says he's going to make a yummy chocolate cake.
- @megsug, high school

It was super fun! It was a lot more simple than I thought it'd be, but it was still a night to remember and I miss it. I wish I could relive it once more. 

What's funny is that my friend brought a bunny to my house for god knows why the night of my graduation. So we're at my graduation and all she can think about is the bunny and if it's destroying my room while we're gone, which makes me worried for my room, but it was eventually forgotten about in the heat of the moment. We came home to it running around my room but thankfully everything was okay. xD I suppose that doesn't count as a crazy story but I found it quite random, to have a bunny running loose in your room while you're graduating.
- @Iggy, high school

Er, I actually don’t graduate for another month >.> BUT I GOT STORIES… then again I don’t think they’re very appropriate.
- @VeerenVKS, high school

My graduation was amazing. I didn't fall on stage, so that was good. 
But I was a little late to the rehearsal (no one told me they started it 15 minutes early!) And when I got there and walked down I had no idea where to sit and people just kind of stared at me. But then I found my friend Dusty, and stood next to him until some kind soul took pity on me and found my seat for me. 

Then I went to my local graduation (mine was a statewide homeschool event) to watch all of my friends graduate. That was really cool. I got to see my friend Brandon, who is like 6'6 compared to my 5'4 frame. Trying to hug him was really fun, but we made it work. 

Then I hugged all of my normal sized friends. And went and hung out at another friend’s house until I had to go to work. No crazy traditions yet. I'm sure by next year when I turn 18 and my twin (who isn't really my twin) graduates I'll have some. 
- @KnightTeen, high school

Graduation is always an exciting time of the year, and it’s easy to get wrapped up in the ceremonies, and parties, and presents. But Squills wanted to know what YWSers’ plans are for after the bunny is caught and the chocolate cake is gone. So, I put my personal safety on the line, and asked the question that is loathed by students and recent grads everywhere.  

What are your plans for this fall?

I have no idea. xD

Well I get to take my first creative writing class! And my first high school art class.
- @fortis

My plans for the fall would be to go back to class for my second year of college. I want to start making a portfolio and designing software to snag an embedded systems engineering job or a general engineering job.

I'll hopefully enter film school. And maybe finish my driver's license. Oh wait! I’m also planning to grow a massive mustache! :D
- @Birkhoff

I again modified this question for the old one (@PenguinAttack) I’m sorry don’t kill me, Pengu:
Any plans for the future?

xD To finish my degree, then work.

College… I’m not really sure what goes with this, but I’m sure it’s interesting.

Bahaha, I've heard that question a lot lately. I plan on going to college, of course x) Not a university, just a community college. Also trying to get a job, but ah, that's been unsuccessful so far.

College. Definitely. It looks like I'm going to our local community to get my basics out of the way before moving on to get my degree in journalism. Also, on my 18th birthday I am doing two things. Getting a tattoo and joining ARGuard. (Arkansas National Guard) Then it's onto marriage and babies. Haha. But really, I have no definite plans, just ideas of what I want. I'm just going where the winds takes me.

Get a job, do well in college, and party hard.
- @VeerenVKS

As you can see, we’ve got quite a wide array of personalities and aspirations here on YWS. What about you? What are your plans? Be sure to post your plans, give your wall some love, and you just might get mentioned in the weekly column Society Pages. ;D

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:52 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

HOW YWSERS REVIEW
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

In the aftermath of this month’s review day and the flurry of review-related activities happening about the site, we here at Squills were curious to see what sort of schedules and goals our YWSers set for reviewing. With that in mind, I hit the streets (metaphorically speaking) and interviewed some members to find out they review so you can find out, too!

Review Schedules
Some YWSers follow reviewing schedules. @Fade squeezes some reviews in on the weekend, only giving herself some slack if she’s particularly busy. @Hannah reviews daily, although she doesn’t have a set time for reviewing. Strict reviewing time tables can be hard to stick to—especially if you have a variable schedule or are constantly busy. If you can’t commit to that kind of schedule, try a more lax timetable.

For example, @Aley often writes reviews in the morning, when she’s unlikely to be interrupted. Pre-college-age YWSers might do more reviews in the evening or on weekends, when school is out and homework is done. This kind of schedule gives you a time when you should be reviewing, as opposed to doing anything else you normally do, while allowing more freedom and less guilt because you didn’t have three reviews done by three o’clock.

Leaderboard Goals
This is something I almost never think about—probably because I almost never go to the YWS homepage to catch a glimpse of the leaderboards. But some users, like Aley, make it their goal to do enough reviews to get up there in one of the top spots. Hannah has what may be the most incredible leaderboard goal of all: to surpass @Snoink as the member with the most reviews in the history of the site’s existence. It’s a lofty aim, but with a goal of just five reviews a day, we may see a record-breaking change in the all-time leaderboards around this time next year…

Reviews in Time
Daily. Weekly. Monthly. A certain number of reviews in a certain period of time is a fairly common way to go, whether you’ve joined the Review a Day contest, set a monthly goal for yourself like Fade, or try to get in a few reviews each week.

Reviewing for Rewards
Some users set goals that will help them achieve that next star or a certain number of points. @Iggy, for example, challenged me to a race to our second blue star (a race which she left in the dust more than a month ago, while I still haven’t crossed the finish line). @ShadowVyper joined Knights of the Green Room and now works toward earning new badges for completing certain numbers of Green Room reviews. Working toward a reward and giving yourself a deadline can get you motivated to hit the literary forums and give your fellow writers feedback.

Review Day Goals
Not everyone has a set goal for our monthly Review Days. Some, like @queerelves and myself, review until we’re reviewed out and can no longer write a useful review. Others, like Hannah and @ThereseCricket, set goals of ten, twenty, or even fifty Review Day reviews. With the bonus of extra points for reviewing works in the Green Room and the atmosphere of excitement around the site, the Review Days are a good time to get out and get reviewing.

No Schedule or Goal
And then there are those of us who simply review when we have time, need points, have had a review request, or see something interesting floating around the site. No shame, fellow Casual Reviewers! Join @Zolen, queerelves, and myself in reviewing when something takes our fancy. As long as you do a review or two when requesting a review or posting a literary work, no one will mind that you don’t have set goals for reviewing.

How do you review? Let us know by answering this poll by @Adnamarine!

Useful Links for the Reviewfully Inclined:

Review a Day contest : a good way to get motivated to write daily reviews.
Will Review for Food forum : a good place to offer or ask for reviews.
Knights of the Green Room : a good way to help clear the Green Room of sad literary works with fewer than two reviews and get rewards.
Star Ranking System : a good place to learn about those color-changing, review-hungry stars on your profile.

Useful Links for Tips on Reviewing

The YWS Critique Sandwich
How to Write a Good Critique
Reviewing: The Gentle Way
Battle Tactics: Reviewing the Unreviewable
What isn’t a good critique?
Last edited by SquillsBot on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:53 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE LAST MAN STANDING: UPDATE
written by OliveDreams < PM: >

It's week 10 and the warriors and rogues of this amazing competition are still fighting their way to the finish line. They’ve had to overcome fierce writer’s block, tangled plot lines, and the crafty challenges that @Tenyo throws their way!

I checked in with @Deanie, @Wolfare1, @Messenger, @CesareBorgia, @kayfortnight, @Aurora99 and @RavenMoonStone to ask how they are getting on. 

Squills: Hi guys! So, how are your novels going?

Deanie: It's going very well! I love writing it and trying to incorporate the challenges whenever I can. I've also tried reading other peoples stories as well - it's important we all support each other in this challenge 

Wolfare1: My story's been doing very well, I think. I just can't find enough time to work on it. Having lots of big plans is awesome, but often times I've found myself rushing it to get to the 'good parts'.

Messenger: It is going very well! I like how my story is going so far.  It is developing nicely and is very exciting.

CesareBorgia: Well actually, to be honest, I already finished the first novel I entered in the Last Man Standing. It was called Vampirial. Some of you may know it. Since I finished it, Tenyo let me do another novel. 

kayfortnight: Very well-I started without a plot and now one's starting to form. Plus, I think this may be the best way for me to finish a novel-I've always had trouble with that.

Aurora99: Well, though I'm having a bit of writer's block at the moment.

RavenMoonStone: My story is going fine! Currently my character is in a bad situation, but she'll get out of it in a few chapters.

S:WOOHOO! All of you are doing great! Name something fun fun about being a part of this competition.

D: Well, the fact that we are being pushed to write at least a chapter a week means I am actually writing, and writing alone is fun! Also the challenges can be completely random, and it's funny putting them in my pretty serious story.

W: I love the motivation. Seeing everyone else writing 'along side me' is quite fun. I guess the only reason I started (and haven't dropped) my novel was 'cause of this contest. Dropping it isn't an option, I have my pride on the line!

M: New characters popping up all of a sudden that I did not plan! And the challenge to post your chapter before your competitors.

C: I find it fun that I am writing at least once a week. Because I love winning contests, it made complete my first ever novel.

k: The comrade among all the contestants, Tenyo's write-ups at the end of each week, and bugging a contestant I'm saging for to post their chapter:) It's also nice to be able to follow novels, knowing they're less likely to end. I'm getting more points (and Knight of the Green Room badges) reviewing my fellow contestants' chapters than I need for posting my own.

A: It's fun getting a chapter done each week and looking around to see what other people are doing.

R: I find this fun because I have a deadline. If I didn't have a deadline I would be stuck on chapter four. And I find it fun to be in a contest. Also, I have made two new friends.

S: And what are you all finding tricky?

D: Stressful weeks and then having to post.

W: Difficulties, hmm. Usually what's difficult for me is trying to fit in writing with the rest of my schedule. Somehow, I have managed so far.

M: The mini-challenges can be hard, but they aren't necessary so I guess they don't count. Writing when I am stuck is the hardest probably.

C: Nothing really is difficult, I have the plot planned out in my head, so it makes life easier.

k: The most difficult aspect is dealing with the fact that some weeks the chapters I put out just aren't going to be good. I'm a perfectionist at heart, and the only reason I haven't edited most of my chapters yet is because I know I'll be taking huge chunks out of them. As much as we writers say a first draft is meant to be bad, it's still a hangup each of us eventually deals with.

A: Writing a chapter a week and having to make it sound fresh and exciting.

R: Even though I love deadlines, it is stressful. I often stay up, wondering if I forgot to upload my chapter.

S: Finally, how is it having a wisely sage guiding you through the paper wilderness?

D: I'm a rogue but I have some lovely reviewers. Yes I mean you @Pompadour @TimmyJake @Iggy @CesareBorgia and @Silverlock who have been loyally following my story.

W: To be honest, I don't have a sage (At least I don't think I do). xD Being an unofficial contestant, I haven't been assigned one yet.

M: DEANIE IZ AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xPP but yeah, she is really helpful pointing out things that need to be attended to. I wouldn't ask for any different sage.

C: Well, I'm an unofficial contestant, but for Vampirial, I'd have to call Deanie my sage. 

k: Very helpful. It's someone who will see how you progress over the course of the novel, and it gives you reviews when you're on chapter 7, when someone who hasn't read the previous chapters probably won't take the time. Most people also have "unofficial sages", those that follow their work, review each time, and are sages in all but name.

A: My sage is the most useful person in pertinence to writing at the moment. @PiesAreSquared is very supportive and gives me valuable feedback.

R: My sage kayfortnight, is wonderful. She points out the problems in my novel, and gives her feedback on my chapters. She also cheers me on, and reminds me to post my chapter.

Go forth, warriors! Good luck! Thank you for answering my questions :)

If you lovely readers would like to check out their novels, here are the links. 

Deanie - Eyes Wide Shut
Wolfare1 - Syrin
Messenger- Castor’s Tale
CesareBorgia - Among the Twinkling Stars
kayfortnight - Magic’s Will
Aurora99 - The Pirate Queen
RavenMoonStone - Silence is Silver
Last edited by SquillsBot on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:53 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

JAMIE’S COIN – THE MAKING OF
written by Hannah  < PM: >

The first radio show went live on BlogTalkRadio, September 28th, 2007 – over six years ago! And members of YWS have been taking to the air waves to share their voices ever since. This year, however, marks the first time in recent memory that YWS members have taken the initiative to put together a Radio Play with a script written by a member; auditions to cast the roles; and careful care to sound effects, scoring, and rehearsals to make sure the efforts comes off as a professional success.

Who is the driving force behind this? And where did they get the idea?

For more information, we turned to @Elinor%20Brynn.

In the past year I wrote a screenplay for a short film, and I had the extreme fortune of it being produced by local filmmakers. It was an amazing experience, and that, coupled with my nostalgia both for the YWS radio shows and the radio dramas of the 30s and
40s inspired me to set up the contest.

Ever since an inspiring unit on Golden Era storytelling on the airwaves, Elinor’s been hooked. The road from interest to an air date hasn’t been easy, however. She has spent almost four hours a week on putting together the details of the production. From organizing auditions, listening to the audio files each hopeful radio actor sent in, scheduling rehearsals to, before all this …

Choosing the Right Script

Elinor posted a call for scripts on April 26th, and garnered a lot of information. But all competitors fell away and the winner emerged: @Osterkaktus

To be honest, it wasn't really expecting to be chosen for the YWS Radio Theater when I wrote "Jamie's Coin". I mainly write because I find it fun and I love to get challenged in my writing. As this is the first radio play I've written it was fun to explore new horizons.

I guess the great thing about Young Writers Society is that it is such an intimate community. So though I didn't expect it, it is indeed possible for a hobbyist writer like me to get chosen for an experience like this. And I find it really exciting to bring my story to life and hopefully keep an audience entertained with it.

And while we aren’t being told much about the plot just yet (in the words of @SparktoFlame: “I can't. Elinor would kill me!”), we do know the names of the five speaking roles and the five actors chosen to play them. Let’s hear a bit from each lucky member whose name ended up posted on the Jamie’s Coin Cast and Crew thread ! We have …

@Aquestioning as Jamie!

When asked how he landed the title role, Aquestioning shared that he

got the role whenever Elinor asked [him] to help judge the pieces and [they] got on skype to judge the two pieces that were the top competitors and it was a really close battle! Apparently they thought [he] played the role of Jaime so well that they basically gave it to [him], not that [he] refused!

@SparktoFlame as Sarah!

We’ve often seen Spark post update on her involvement with ballet, but did you know she’s also been doing shows since she was a wee baby hint of flame? She’s especially loved her time as Templeton the rat from Charlotte’s Web and Violet in Willy Wonka.

A hot topic amongst each of the actors was the difference between their previous performance experiences and working toward a radio play. Spark mentioned that

It's a big change! As a ballerina, [she’s] used to using [her] body--not my[her] voice!

@Charlie II as Death!

For Charlie, however, the fact that there will be no visual element to the performance seems a boon:

When I'm reading the part I must look ridiculous because I try to do all the accompanying facial expressions and wild hand gestures... but since nobody can see me I guess I can get away with it!

@Demeter as Lucifer!

Demeter was extra excited to be involved, as she’s currently considering becoming a voice actor (and by considering, I mean basically lusting after the idea). She also has something to say about acting for radio versus visual productions.

I've had to remind myself that only my voice can be heard, so I need to make it extra clear what my character's intentions are, as facial expressions and the sort won't help. It's pretty cool actually!

@Buggiedude2340 as the Gatekeeper

For the future Gatekeeper, it wasn’t so much of a mental challenge as it was a technological challenge:

[M]icrophones are sketchy little pieces of technology, and they can alter the way people sound. And ... I kept saying 'um' when I tried to record myself! That's the price of ad-libbing, I guess.

So we know the final five, but how do we go from script and actors to final production?

Rehearsals...

I know Charlie and Elinor better, I don't know the others as well and some I haven't even properly met, so I look forward to rehearsing with them regularly!

Rehearsals...

I will have a rehearsal with Elinor and Aquestioning, who's playing Jamie. And then later, right before the radio show, the whole cast is getting together to read it once or twice together.

Rehearsals... and @AfterTheStorm.

I am actually in charge of all those little sound effects and musical scoring that you'll hear in the background of the play. ... I get to work with the scene transitions and effects.

Storm has been using Camtasia and sourcing various free sounds from around the web to prepare the foundation over which the lovely golden voices of the five actors will play. And with this final layer, the cake of the radio play starts to come together.

”Jamie’s Coin” airs on Blog Talk Radio , Saturday, June 14th at 8pm GMT.

Tune in and stick around after the performance so you can ask the cast and crew questions that weren’t addressed here! Support YWS members in their creative endeavors just as those who have reviewed your works have always supported you! Curl up with a hot cup of something sweet, as Elinor recommends, and just enjoy yourself as this member-driven process comes to fruition.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:55 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

HOW TO: HUNGER GAMES FIGHT SCENE
written by defyingravity01  < PM: >

Hey Guys!
On behalf of the Squills team and myself I would just like to wish you all a Happy Hunger Games. And, might I add, may the odds be ever in your favor.

In honor of this momentous event, I have decided to write a How-To on writing a great fight scene. Writing scenes containing combat has always been a struggle for me. I’ve also noticed that unless the scenes are written carefully, they can often be very confusing and a little overwhelming. Not to worry, my dears! I have done some research and have come up with the ultimate way to describe a struggle.

The first thing you need to do is establish the setting. I know this seems silly, especially for a Hunger Games type thing (set in the arena, duh) but unless you tell your reader where everything is, how it got there, and where your MC is, they will end up being horribly confused. Take the Arena in the first Hunger Games, for example. It had a lot of trees, a few streams and other surprising things up the sleeves of the gamemaker. But when Katniss is, say, blowing up the supplies or running from fireballs, Suzanne Collins does a great job of telling you where Katniss is and how she got there. Directions like left and right are key. A great way to figure out the setting is to draw out where everything is; that way YOU remember.

The next thing you want to do is make sure your audience knows who the enemy is. Is this combat one-on-one? Who is this person fighting against, and what makes the MC feel the need to fight this person? In other words, you need to establish a motive. The “villain” also needs to have a motive for fighting back. Remember, the person the MC is fighting is a person, too. This is going to be the beginning of your scene. Note carefully who takes the first hit and why. Also mention who is armed and who has what. Clothes and overall appearance are important as well.

Also, you need to make it human. Or not, I suppose, if that’s the effect you’re going for. People don’t pause and speak when they are fighting and they don’t analyze. Your MC is going to be feeling many things and they won’t stop to strategize. The adrenaline will be pumping and every hit counts. You also need to make your MC feel the hits or the cuts. For example, people don’t really endure a heavy blow to the head and immediately recover. This person may be able to keep themselves going or use what I fondly call a “wall of pain” but regardless, they need to feel it. It’s also good if your opponents are evenly matched. Your MC has flaws and will not win every fight. To keep the reader on the edge of his/her seat, you need to make it a close call.

Lastly, end it. Does the opponent go down, or does the MC? Do they die, pass out, etc.? What makes the fight stop? Then it will be time to assess. If your writing is in first person, and the MC blacks out, there isn’t much of that until the MC wakes up. But typically the MC wins the fight. They’re going to be in pain, and the “other guy” will look pretty bruised and beat up. Describe it. Show your reader the effects of combat. 

After you’ve done all of this, you’re finished. Your scene is over and you can end the chapter or begin dialogue. Make sure you read everything over and check to see if it makes sense. And then try getting another perspective. You want the reader to use his or her imagination, but also to provide enough information so they aren’t confused. Great combat really adds suspense to a story, and once it’s over, it’s going to make your tale seem that much better.

Good luck with your scenes, and Happy Writing!

XOXO,
Gravity

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW WITH LUMI
written by Messenger < PM: >

Well, it's that time again! A new featured member has been chosen – this time, it’s @Lumi – and we sat down to chit-chat about the featured experience and finding the right gif.

Messenger: Hi Lumi, how's it going!? Excited to be the Featured Member, no doubt!! :) How did you first react to the news?

Lumi: I got swarmed with all these wall posts and new followers, and when I found the thread in the Lounge, I spent a decent hour scouring tumblr forthe perfect reaction gif...but I couldn't find one. I think that's a perfectly normal response, right?

M: My, my, that is entirely natural and common! And better to make friends then enemies! xDD Did you ever have any expectations to become the FM, or any dreams of what it would be like?

L: Oh man, that's probably a bad question for me. I've never really given it any thought. It's cool and flattering--but there are tons of YWSers who are much cooler than me with this sort of stuff. I'm still looking for the right gif, after all. ;P

M: Still looking for the right gif, eh? Hehehe. That's funny, but I am sure you are not the only person to ever have that problem. Maybe you could go with "EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!" GIF from The LEGO Movie?

L:  Got it. Not even a gif.

M: hahahahahaha. That works for sure! How long did this search take? *Whips out Records Notebook*

L: I've had that one saved for months. It turns up more relevant than you'd think. Gifs are great for two reasons:
1.) they're pictures that move, and
2.) there is a full-blown war being waged over the proper pronunciation of the acronym.

Personally, I'm a "jiff" man.

M: Great reasons! Actually, I always just assumed gifs as "giff". Interesting take you have on it. Why do you say it like that?

L: Obviously because I'm Featured Member, and the dictation of .gif is the unique power bestowed upon me.

M: Well, okay, then! Sounds good! hee hee hee  I am afraid we must conclude this lovely chat at this time. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your time as the Featured Member, and . . . GET DEM GIFS!

And so ended an amusing interview for me, and hopefully for you as well! I hope you enjoyed this article, and be sure to work hard. You may be the next FM! Ciao!

~Messenger

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

KANOME’S RANT OF MEDIA

Written by Kanome   < PM: >

Hello, Kanome here with another fantastic review for you, members of YWS!

Recently, I came across a game that made me addicted (once again) after having not played it for so long. I have played this game on and off since it first came out a long time ago. You can do so many things in this game, like make the person learn skills you want them to learn, make friends and/or enemies, and even choose your own career. I am, of course, talking about Sims 3!

I am pretty sure everyone knows what Sims 3 is, but for those of you who don’t… Sims 3 is a simulator-type game where you can create your own character, make their personalities, traits, etc., and then make them do your bidding. 

I recently created a character named Verine Anderson (a name that I also recently used in a Storybook on YWS), and made her have athletic, cooking, and logic skills as her best abilities. Right now, she is an International Spy in the police career. She is also a people person, meaning she is very charismatic. I started this Sim like three days ago and I already made her achieve her lifetime wish, which was to be an International Spy.

For those of you who don’t know about the Lifetime Wishes, the Lifetime Wishes are what the Sims want to accomplish in their life. When you accomplish your Lifetime Wishes, you gain points which you can use to buy perks for your Sim to use. 

I could continue this review about Sims 3, but I could go on forever. If you would like to hear recommendations on popular expansion packs, message me or write on my profile. 

If you would like to recommend something else to me, let me know in advance.

Kanome out!

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FLY KIDS FOR NATE

written by whitewolfpuppy  < PM:  >

I’m here to share some information with you about an annual event in my community that began on Memorial Day, 2013, and is back for its second year. Although Memorial Day is generally a day to remember those who have fallen in the line of duty, for me it is a day to remember an amazing pilot that I have come to know throughout most of my life. 

Nate was the reason we started this amazing fundraiser. At the beginning, the money was to help pay for Nate’s treatments in the hospital. He was dying of colon cancer, and we did this fundraiser in order to say thank you to him for all that he had done. Although he passed away last year, we have decided to keep this tradition that we started. This year, the money was dedicated to help the kids who are starting their pilot career. All of the money that we raised goes to those kids so they can soar through and become great pilots like Nate was in his life. 

During the event, I was a server. My parents own the Beacon Cafe and, we were giving away a free pancake breakfast that morning. From 8 AM to noon, all was going good. We had a lot of staff: my friends came to volunteer, an even some of their parents showed up as well! It was amazing to see all of the people who cared just as much as I did. I was only taking orders at first, but as the day progressed, I ended up doing almost everything! From taking orders, being a food runner, placing food down on the plates, etc. The morning started off great, not too busy, but just enough to get us all in gear. 

As I was talking to one of the fire fighter volunteers about what they were doing outside, I heard something about plane rides for donations. I had to go check this one out! As I walked over, I talked to the lady and she said they would like a minimum of 20$ but anything is fine. I signed up myself and the rest of the staff that wanted to go flying. 

Though we didn’t fly ’til the end of the day, near noon, there was so much stuff to do in the meantime. Outside of the free pancake breakfast, they were raffling off prizes, they had bounce houses for young kids, they even offered face painting! I wanted to do face painting, but knew it wasn’t the best idea since I was serving. I was tempted to go get a wolf drawn on my face; I was totally ready for it. Around 10 AM or so, there was an event going on outside. A man brought out his official uniform to wear while playing the bag pipes. It was amazing – the second time I have ever heard this instrument being played. 

As the day wound down and we all started cleaning, many people came in to thank us for all that we do. I was proud to see all the volunteers were happy with what they had done. I was proud of my parents who were on the line cooking pancakes and plating. They even told me how proud they were, and I knew right then that they are the reason this was so successful. It was the most amazing day of my life this year, so far. Thank you. 

Last edited by SquillsBot on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:56 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SOCIETY PAGES
written by Iggy  < PM: >

So I'm sure it's been a stressful few weeks for all of us. Some of us have either graduated or will graduate, while lots of us still have a year or more in school. And then there's the bit of us that are adults and getting married and having babies and and and- but I digress. Onto the gossip.

I suppose I should tell you all that our beloved @blueafrica GOT MARRIED AND YES IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. She's the only person I know who would wear sneakers to her wedding... silly Blue. If you'd like to see the blog post with all the pretty pics, here you go .

@Snoink is getting close! Very very close. Baby is almost here... thing is, she refuses to come out. REFUSES. So, poor Snoink may have to be induced, and on her birthday, of all days. No one likes sharing birthdays, so come out, baby girl! We all can't wait to meet you. :)

Many of you may know who she is, if you've been around for a long time. I, personally, have never met her, although I wish I had. Distinguished member @Evi stopped by to say hello and blog about her life! If you'd like to read what she said, take a look here .

Calling all Once Upon a Time fans! @Auxiira and @Deanie are both hooked on the show. Meanwhile, @Noelle, @KnightTeen and I are all caught up... seems @ariaadams and @Carina also like it too. I do believe a club needs to be made so we can all fan girl and CRY OVER THAT FINALE. ;-;

Stars are everywhere! Recently spotted: @Deanie and @Hannah with a new red star, @magpie and @TimmyJake with a blue star, @CesareBorgia with a gold star and me with none! (THAT will change soon.)

In other news, @Lumi and I have a deal: he hounds me to get my red stars and I do the same for his blue stars. We shall be each other's nags.

If you get a new star and you'd like to brag, drop a line here!

@TimmyJake's and @ThereseCricket's mother has joined YWS. o__o Keep your eyes peeled for her and if you spot her... well, I can't advise you to not embarrass them, but don't be too mean.  :mrgreen:

Lots of people are using the Tapatalk app! What's that, you ask? Well, read this and see what I mean! I, personally, love YWS on my phone but some people hate it. If you love it like I do, now you have this to use!

Everyone's buzzing about both the upcoming radio show and the Hunger Games event! Make sure you're keeping up with current YWS events~

@rosey%20unicorn has finally finished a novel she calls Cat Steps and is now in the process of rewriting it. If that isn't dedication, I don't know what is... You go, girl!

@whitewolfpuppy is getting a YWS t-shirt and I am super jealous. I should get one and so should you! If you'd like to purchase one, you can buy it here!

@Cailey is enjoying England! Poor @Demeter has to say goodbye in a few months and return to her beloved Finland. @Rydia has just returned from Crete and has postcards on the way to some people, including myself. Some people have already gotten them, luckies. *glares at @elinor%20brynn and @birkhoff*

And finally, to everyone who loves YWS! Want to help YWS flourish? I hope that's a yes you just shouted. If so, take a look at any one of these flyers and print them! Hang them in your bedroom, libraries, cafeterias, school hallways, lockers, bathroom stalls, print them on toilet paper, stuff them in bags in Wal-Mart, tape them to people's backs... get the word out so people with awesome writing skillz come to YWS!

Alright guys, that's all from me for this week. I'm now off to be fancy so don't ruin my buzz lest I have one less problem with you, girl. *snaps fingers Iggy Azalea style* Please don't compare me to her, she's terrible ugh.

xxx

Lady S

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:56 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

GREEN ROOM GALLERY
by KnightTeen < PM: >

It's been a while since I wrote one of these. Actually wrote one. Like, sat down and actually typed crap that meant something instead of just throwing this together to add one more article to the count before time ran out. 

But then, life has been pretty crazy. I mean, really crazy. 

I got a job. I graduated highschool. I got a bank account. And a debit card. I worked so much one day I passed out. (True story, and I now freak everyone out whenever I bend down because they think that I am collapsing again.) 

So yeah. Really crazy. 

But I haven't really written anything – an article, a story, a poem, anything – lately. And that makes me kind of sad. 

So I sat down at my computer today and decided that since I don't have to work no one is going to see me until I finish some things. 

Starting with this article. 

When I checked the Green Room, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it had less that 50 works in it. That's a whole lot less than what has been the norm lately. So either we have more people reviewing, or we have less people writing. I hope it's the first one.

But summer is coming. Sunshine, pool/lake parties, and all of us YWS freaks staring at computers trying to beat out another chapter or review (JUST ONE MORE!) before we hit the sack. 

And then you get the dirty looks (or at least I do) when you walk downstairs at ten o'clock in the morning because you stayed up late last night... again. The, "I WAS FINISHING A NOVEL!" excuse doesn't really fly with my mom. 

Oh well. 

But I have plans to finish a short story later. And write at least two reviews today. 

Because Master has given KT a diploma. KT IS FREE!!!!

And if I haven't freaked you out yet with the randomness that is my writing, stick around for the next GRG. I promise you it will be just as weird. 

~*~

I recently (not really that recent, but close enough) interviewed PiesAreSquared when he made FM (featured member for you newbies out there) to find out just exactly what makes him so squared. 

Well, today I get to feature him in my beloved gallery. His work Prakfura Raiders: Chapter Three: Part One has been sitting in the Green Room for the past three days with no reviews. 

Now, that might sound bad to you, it sitting there for three days, but that is actually pretty impressive! I've had galleries that have been in there for a month or sometimes more. 

But that's it for now. See you next week!

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:57 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

LIBRARY LOVES
written by OliveDreams < PM: >

@dutifulwriter has kindly shared her most precious books with us this week! Take a moment to read through her paper passions.

Here we go!

Something New:

Illuminate by Aimee Agresti

Haven Terra is a brainy, shy high school outcast. But everything changes when she is awarded a prestigious internship at a posh Chicago hotel.

dutifulwriter: I've read a lot of paranormal young adult stories, and they've all appeared the same to me. However, this book was a little different from the rest. It has all the elements of a standard young adult paranormal/romance book, but it also has that bit of magic that I didn't exactly find in the rest. The author weaves together a truly magical story, that I really enjoyed reading. I recommend this to all those who just want to be caught up in the magic of a good story.

Something Familiar:

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once."

d: I think of late, the YA/Contemporary books seems to be topping the charts. So, that's why I recommend to all those who haven't read 'The Fault in Our Stars' yet to go check it out now. At first, when the book came out, I remember reading the summary and going, 'No, I am not going to read another story about people dying.' It was because most of the stories I'd read always had the main character to be a very whining and immature person. I wouldn't have actually read this book, hadn't it been for the fact that my friends forced me to. I don't regret reading it one bit.

Something Loved:

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

'His hand closed automatically around the fake Horcrux, but in spite of everything, in spite of the dark and twisting path he saw stretching ahead for himself, in spite of the final meeting with Voldemort he knew must come, whether in a month, in a year, or in ten, he felt his heart lift at the thought that there was still one last golden day of peace left to enjoy with Ron and Hermione.'

d: This is one book I'd read again and again and again and again and again and again and...well you get the point. There's only one reason I can think of as to why I would read it, and it's a rather simple answer, really: Harry Potter is simply amazing.

Thanks dutifulwriter! I always love meeting a fellow Potter fanatic! And I also beg everyone to read The Fault in Our Stars!! 

See you next week! xD

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:57 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE CODE BREAKER CHALLENGE
written by Avalon  < PM: >

Welcome one and all to Avalon’s Code Breaker Challenge, here I provide weekly challenges that steadily grow harder though out the year. This is a weekly mind game meant to challenge those at varying ages and intellects, and make them use their head (or you know, Google.)

What’s to be expected in the challenge? Well it’ll eventually expand into mathematics such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and even division. It will also include foreign languages and proper English. Each of my puzzles have varying point rewards (points from me) that will be shown next to each code. The problems will be difficult, I can assure you, but those who keep at it and persevere will find themselves well-rewarded for their efforts.

Rules for the Code Breaker Challenge

- Teams will not be allowed. You will be required to explain or show your work when you submit your answers.
- If you do not solve a Code before next week’s edition, then your answers will not be accepted.
- There’s nothing to stop you from using Google if you wish, but the purpose of this column is to get you to use your mind to solve each puzzle. We’re watching you.
- Top scorers will be featured every week.

THE EASY CODE
Point Reward: 25
(6+3=)(5+2=)(6+1=)(13+12=)
(1+8=)(10+9=)
(0+1=)
(9+7=)(2+7=)(3+3+1=)(3+2+2=)(11+11+3=)

THE MEDIUM CODE
Point Reward: 50
3 15 14 7 18 1 20 19! 25 15 21 19 15 12 22 5 4 20 8 5 5 1 19 9 5 19 20 15 6 13 25 5 14 3 18 25 16 20 9 15 14, 18 5 1 4 19 17 21 9 12 12 19 5 22 5 18 25 23 5 5 11 6 15 18 13 15 18 5 5 14 18 25 16 20 9 15 14 5 22 5 18 25 18 5 5 11!
Hint: The numbers give the answer as they correspond to letters.

THE HARD CODE
credit to @Rosey%20Unicorn
Point Reward: 100
Translate Language: Ne laissez pas quelqu'un te dire non quand ils ne puet pas dire oui.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:58 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
by KnightTeen < PM: >

After taking a Squills break, I have to admit that I always forget just how many users join each week. Add that to the fact that I haven't updated New Arrivals in two weeks, and then part of me wants to cry. 

But I got it done, and

I am proud to announce that we have reached 30,360 users!

Take a moment to welcome this week's newest members to the site!

@Srijan@Bluesact@Federico@ljrussell  • @thyedenisburning@Ela@LittleMissDakota@smangin2015@RebelAngel13666@Incogneato@Xardalas  • @valdez@Prince@BellaRoma@NatalieOuelette@Lilove213@poeticlove@xLeighx@woodpige0n@null25@BellaDonnie@MadamKroft  • @Kortaros@SunnyItsRainy@Dark1@Sidorak12814@NightmareShadow  •  @MooseGirl4234  • @hesmiledatme@soonermagic09 @zukeo14@MrWicket@ahymm1  • @monarchy@moment @alexismwarr@CNote@Catsandbats  • @thellstar  • @MissKandieKiss •  @thesadfae  • @TheBlackSheep@GregoryHill  • @nikiscott  • @LadyKraken   • @notresponsible  • @ashley1996@catchafallingstar  • @idkhernandez@irishdancer1199@CodyRayFletcher@thatwriter • @paully055 • @am152@wtppowers@anees2rehman@netherling451@angelinafrias@PatchworkStudy@thundereagle@kyddikat@xosmel@SimplyInfinite17@Taycat13@flowerchildish@SincerelyYours@maryammouse  • @Hatoon@Anees@CA9  • @Elsaeris • @NeonBlair  •  @caram@imaginfantasy@VijayBhranam@melsan@Cleo28  • @Pinkiegirl13@crystalhoran@piercetheseptum@Kriten@MusicScratch  • @DiggsRoad@DeviseExercise@Ramirez@trevorcofer@bolanle  • @calondra1024  • @seth563@seth563563  • @LavenderMay@transform13  • @Lornthalas  • @discoveringblue  • @Leangermer@Foxina@BlueGhost@Username26@nanderson17   • @JasminW@kloud@teachustobestill@Cynder@sonu  • @TheEvilOverlord@cinderella@DIDIMOSS@lillacwine@miozrox1997  • @apyrus1234@Crpopp33

If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
— Woodrow Wilson