z

Young Writers Society


16+

Insult to Injury Part Six (Jigoku Shoujo The Saved and the Damned)

by Songmorning


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

The next morning, when Michelle woke up, she realized it was Sunday. At breakfast, she told Allan, “I’m going to church today.” Her voice sounded to her dull and unexcited, but she spoke with a certainty that surprised her.

“What? Why?” Allan had never heard her say this before.

Michelle was silent. She supposed the reason was that she wanted to see if the preacher would talk about Hell. The only other place she had heard of Hell besides from Jigoku Shoujo was from people talking about Christians. She was wondering if it really was possible to send someone to Hell and condemn herself in the process. Of course, she found it hard to deny now that it wasn’t possible. When it came down to it, she would probably believe Jigoku Shoujo before she would believe a preacher, because she had seen Jigoku Shoujo but hadn’t seen any evidence of Christianity.

“Honey, there are other ways to deal with our boys’ deaths than resorting to religion,” Allan was saying.

“I know,” Michelle said, interrupting him. She was thinking about the straw doll, which she had put in her purse. Yes, there were other ways to deal with their boys’ deaths. She would pull the string on that doll and send the bitch who killed them to Hell.

But first she wanted to see what the preacher would say.

“I’m going to church,” she repeated, “But not because I’m ‘resorting’ to religion.” She paused, not wanting to say her real reasons because they wouldn’t make sense to her husband. “Our boys always used to go to the youth group at that little church up the road, right?” she said, “I just want to see what it’s like. Maybe they had some friends there who haven’t heard about their deaths yet, anyway.”

“Well, if you really want to, go ahead,” Allan told her, “I’m not stopping you.”

~

~

~

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/023/6/0/jigoku_shoujo_symbol_by_sheisnadia-d4nfebb.png

Michelle arrived at the church around 10:00. She didn’t have a Bible, but she had brought her bigger purse to look like she might be carrying one. The black straw doll was in the purse. She didn’t want to leave it anywhere and risk losing it.

The church wasn’t a church in the sense of being in a church building. It was just a group of Christians gathering in a rented building that was part of a strip mall. A makeshift plastic banner hung over the door which said, “Living Grace Church”, and the inside of the building was decorated with artsy Jesus posters and a life-size wooden cross with people’s names scribbled all over it in pen and marker.

Michelle tried to slip into the back row as subtly as she could, but it wasn’t easy. There were so few people in the room and so few rows of chairs that Michelle might as well have had a giant “Hi I’m a Visitor” sticker on her shirt. Several people came up and greeted her, looking like they could hardly be happier to see another member added to their congregation. They were probably desperate for more members here. Michelle answered them as shortly as possible without seeming rude, but whenever she thought she saw someone look at her purse, she bit her lip, feeling like the Christians around her were constantly judging her despite their friendly façade.

She was relieved when the service started. The congregation sang a few contemporary Christian songs accompanied by a man with a guitar. She didn’t know any of the words, and when the offering plate came around, she awkwardly handed it back to the usher since she was the only person in her row. When the young, enthusiastic-looking preacher went up front, he started his sermon by thanking Michelle for coming, drawing even more attention to her. She was starting to wonder why she had come in the first place.

The pastor prayed, then opened up his Bible to a bookmarked page and announced, “The passage I’m going to speak on today comes from Romans 12:19 through 21.” Bending his head over the Bible, he read, “Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, ‘Vengeance is Mine, I will repay, says the Lord.’ No, ‘if your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink; for by doing this you will heap burning coals on their heads.’ Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” Setting the Bible down on the pulpit, he said, “This is the word of God.”

A huge, yellow eye in the ceiling above Michelle closed and vanished. Standing on the roof of the building, the young man with black hair covering one eye, Ichimoku Ren, folded his arms and sighed, “What is that Person up to now?”

“This really is an unexpected turn of events,” the beautiful woman, Hone-Onna, remarked, “Who would have thought that she would go to church? You’re right, Ichimoku, it seems like that Person is intervening this time.”

Enma Ai was also standing with them. Ichimoku Ren looked at down at her. “What do you think, Young Miss?” he asked.

“If He intervenes, she will not be able to make the covenant,” Enma Ai said simply, and after that she was silent.

Back inside the church, the preacher finally mentioned the subject Michelle had come to hear about. “The vengeance of God,” he said, “is Hell. God—not you—has the first right to punish anyone who has wronged you, because their sin is first and foremost an offense against Him. That is why vengeance belongs to Him alone. Yet everyone—everyone—has sinned against this infinite God. Everyone has contended against His pure goodness! What should He do, then, to act in accordance with justice? Should He send us all to Hell? He could do that—and in perfect righteousness—because no one who still has the stain of sin in their lives can come into His holy presence. His pure glory would burn your fallen body to ash if you had even so much as a glimpse of His holiness!

“Yet—as you can see—He has not sent us to Hell,” the preacher went on, an intense light coming into his eyes, “He has not yet done so, though we all deserve it. Instead, He experienced the torments of Hell in our place, through His Son, Jesus Christ. Christ endured your punishment for you. With His perfect innocence, He bore your sin in His body and burned it in Hell on the Cross! What right have you, then, to take revenge on your neighbor when God has already poured out on Christ the vengeance He had in store for you? If you truly believe that God has forgiven your offense against His infinite goodness, then you are already given His grace, to forgive any wrong done to you, no matter how terrible.” As he spoke, his eyes happened to meet Michelle’s.

Michelle wanted to get up and leave, but she didn’t, because people would notice. It felt like the preacher was speaking directly to her. It was like he had found out about the black straw doll and was indirectly trying to dissuade her from pulling the string. But then, she didn’t believe in Jesus, and she didn’t believe in God.

Or did she?

Before last night, if anyone had asked her if she believed in a God, she would have replied, “Of course not.” But after encountering Jigoku Shoujo, she didn’t know what to believe anymore. Obviously, some sort of spiritual realm existed, and apparently, so did Hell. If Hell existed, then Heaven probably did too, and if Heaven existed, then probably, so did God. Whether God was like the preacher made Him out to be, Michelle really couldn’t say. She only knew that the preacher’s words made her want to cover her ears and run out the door.

She decided to store the sermon in the back of her mind. When she went to speak with Janet Coleman that afternoon, she would find out what that woman was really like, and then she would make her decision.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
298 Reviews


Points: 15144
Reviews: 298

Donate
Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:32 am
HolographicLadybug wrote a review...



Hello again Songmorning! I'm back for another review! :)

She must come to a decision shortly! Stakes are high. She's got no clue what to do! I don't know what I'm typing!
Sorry about that randomness.
This was a really deep Part. Really. I guess you've used that to help Michelle realize what she should do. What will she do? I'm intrigued. This is another perfect part of your story with a beautiful plot twist (or at least I think it is :) ).
I've got not much to say this time.
Truly awesome again. Couldn't get better.
~Holographic Ladybug :D




User avatar
325 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 325

Donate
Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:56 pm
tigeraye wrote a review...



Ah, this is getting deep. So in this chapter, we learn that Michelle is an atheist, but she tries to go to church regardless. I'd imagine it would be tough to convey all the emotions she was feeling, and you pulled it off quite well. The strong sense of regret over what she wants to do is evident, and there's a lot of emotional struggle.

Michelle is about to meet with Janet finally, and that's bound to be interesting ^^ Just one thing:

The next morning, when Michelle woke up, she realized it was Sunday. At breakfast, she told Allan, “I’m going to church today.” Her voice sounded to her dull and unexcited, but she spoke with a certainty that surprised her.


This opening caught my eye, because of the fact that her certainty surprised her. Ordinarily, I'd find that out of place, but it just shows what a wreck Michelle is on the inside, not sure how much confidence that she's going to end up saying when she says it.

That's all!




User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:05 pm
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hey, I'm here to leave a review! :D

The suggestions;

Spoiler! :
Michelle was silent. She supposed the reason was that she wanted to see if the preacher would talk about Hell. The only other place she had heard of Hell besides from Jigoku Shoujo was from people talking about Christians.


Hell is said twice here when you can use a pronounce for it. Use "it" for the second Hell to avoid redundancy. You can use "it" again when Hell is mentioned as long as readers know it's Hell.

When it came down to it, she would probably believe Jigoku Shoujo before she would believe a preacher, because she had seen Jigoku Shoujo but hadn’t seen any evidence of Christianity.


Another example is this. Jigoku Shoujo can be replaced which a "her" in a later part, and readers would know who's who even if there are "she" and "her" here.

“I’m going to church,” she repeated, “But not because I’m ‘resorting’ to religion.”


When splitting/arranging the dialogue like this, remember that put them together, it becomes a sentence. Which means, "But" should not be capitalized.

The church wasn’t a church in the sense of being in a church building.


You can refer the church as "one". "The church wasn't one".

The pastor prayed, then opened up his Bible to a bookmarked page and announced, “The passage I’m going to speak on today comes from Romans 12:19 through 21.” Bending his head over the Bible, he read, “Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, ‘Vengeance is Mine, I will repay, says the Lord.’ No, ‘if your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink; for by doing this you will heap burning coals on their heads.’ Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” Setting the Bible down on the pulpit, he said, “This is the word of God.”

A huge, yellow eye in the ceiling above Michelle closed and vanished. Standing on the roof of the building, the young man with black hair covering one eye, Ichimoku Ren, folded his arms and sighed, “What is that Person up to now?”


Okay, so you see, there are two perspectives here - one from Michelle, the other from Ichimoku Ren. You need to separate them. Put a little ~*~*~ between the perspectives to indicate the difference of them.


Now, for the plot, characters, settings;

The plot here moves in an interesting fashion in that Michelle, an atheist, goes to hear a sermon. This is interesting because religion has never been talked in Jigoku Shoujo despites the use of Hell. The sermon is interesting too although it gets too preachy, which is not the case for me since I like religious bits. My only dissatisfaction is what Michelle gets out of it - you have to make that clear.

About characters, like I said, Michelle is an interesting character in the sense that she doesn't let her atheism stop her from seeking the truth or satisfying her curiosity thirst. We see her having thoughts of Hell and Heaven and God, and this is a development for her where she's questioning their existence, and not close to the idea that they are.

About settings, I think you can do more. One thing that I've noticed in stories in this genre is that settings is an efficient tool to bring out the kind of atmosphere you want. Describe to us the place of the church, Michelle's body languages, etc., not just in an objective sense but also infused with the added effect of the genre.

Anyway, keep it up! :D




Songmorning says...


Thanks a lot! Those are all really helpful suggestions!



User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 6057
Reviews: 83

Donate
Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:13 pm
EscaSkye wrote a review...



Hello~ I'm back to review this chapter.

All right, like I said previously in the earlier part, I enjoyed reading this. I appreciate how much you're conveying Michelle's thoughts and emotions to me, as it makes me feel more connected and concerned for her, as well as wonder which future she'd choose. Right now though, I hope she's one of the few who doesn't go through with her revenge plan, no matter how much Janet caused her grief, because personally, I wouldn't want her to go to Hell. Two graves with just one string, right? I just don't feel she should be haunted that she's doomed to an eternity in flames or whatever punishment folks down there get in the show.

I also like how you make me question her background. What I found extremely interesting was her view on religion. You tickled my curiosity: why does she and her husband seem like unbelievers while they let their children attend a youth group at Church? To me, that makes it appear as though either one or both of them used to be religious people but something shook that faith, be it a troubled past or whatever. It may just be minor thing here, but I truly am curious what the truth behind the matter is: whether they just allow their boys to go because the boys wanted to, or if something happened to the past that made them have a sense of disbelief. If that is the case, I see that this isn't just a story of retribution over her children, but also a possible comeback to a religion and belief, which is cool.

Well, that's all I've got for this part. I'll probably finish Michelle's story by tonight, so you may see more comments/reviews from me soon.




Songmorning says...


Thanks! I'm interested in your curiosity about Michelle's and her husband's religious background. So far, I've been simply thinking that she and her husband were casual atheists/agnostics, but their sons had some Christian friends in school who invited them to youth group. A past fall-out from religion might be more dramatic, and it might be something I could incorporate, though I don't know how well it would fit with the story. Most people I know of who have been hurt by religion are bitter about it and wouldn't want their kids going to church, and Michelle starts out as really pretty clueless about Hell, though of course curious about it. Anyway, it's something I believe I'll think through more in my rewrite.



EscaSkye says...


Haha, I'm simply curious. I just thought that whether they're atheist or past Christians, that it's interesting to see them allowing their children to go to Youth Groups. Atheist-wise, at least as far as my knowledge goes, they don't really have a reason to believe in an almighty Deity, so why let their children go there if they think, in a sense, that it's "meaningless"? Of course, if I misunderstood something about Atheism, I'm deeply sorry.



Songmorning says...


Well, there's passionate atheists and casual "atheists" just like there's passionate Christians and casual "Christians". Casual atheists or agnostics wouldn't force their kids NOT to go to youth group at a church, if that was where their kids wanted to hang out with friends. They just wouldn't really think much of it. If the religion was "meaningless", why oppose any particular place where your teens want to hang out? I had kids in my church youth group who came from agnostic and non-Christian families. They were there because their friends were there.



EscaSkye says...


Ooh, I see~ Thanks for that, Song! I get it now :).




It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
— Voltaire