16+

Mother and Father Part Three (Jigoku Shoujo The Saved and the Damned)

by Songmorning

The next day, after lunch, Paul found Lucy. “Please, can we talk?” he said. There was a desperate look in his eyes. He still had his backpack with him from class.

“I don’t have anything to say to you,” Lucy replied icily.

“Please, please, just give me one more chance,” Paul begged.

Lucy wondered if maybe Paul had changed his mind since yesterday. She had no intention of getting back together after how he had treated her, but at the moment, she didn’t have anyone to drive her to the abortion clinic, and she didn’t know who she could ask. She didn’t have a car of her own, and she was afraid of taking the bus, especially after the procedure was over. Perhaps, if Paul had changed his mind, he would be willing to drive her.

And so she agreed to accompany him to a nearby park. No one was there at that time of day, so they could speak there with relative freedom.

“What did you want to say to me?” Lucy asked with a dignity which distanced her from him. She wouldn’t let him get the upper hand.

“I wanted to see if you had changed your mind,” Paul mumbled. There was an awful tension in his heart as though he was prepared to give himself over completely to either anger or joy depending on her answer.

“Of course I haven’t changed my mind!” Lucy snapped, “I would have expected better of you, Paul! I thought maybe you had changed yours.”

“And I expected better of you!” Paul returned, feeling the anger beginning to overtake him, “I’m not the one who wants to kill our child!”

“You’re also not the one who’s pregnant!” Lucy spat, “And stop calling it a ‘child’! It’s not a child yet!”

“It’s my child!”

“It is not, and you clearly care more about it than you care about me!”

“Listen, Lucy,” Paul took a deep breath, trying to calm himself, “If you’ll only have the baby, I’ll take care of it. You won’t even have to worry about being a mom at your age. I’ll leave college for a few years if I have to. I’ll do anything, if I can just…keep…my baby.”

Deep down, Lucy wanted to keep it too, and she felt that desire rising to the surface. Then she regretfully struck it down with all her fears and all the reasons that she couldn’t do it. She wished Paul wouldn’t make it harder for her. “I shouldn’t have told you about it at all,” she muttered sullenly, “Then I wouldn’t have to go through all this too.”

“I don’t understand why you can’t even see it through to delivery,” Paul said.

“Of course you don’t; you’re not a woman,” Lucy returned, “You can’t see that the pregnancy and delivery is just as big a monster to face as the idea of raising a child in college. If I don’t stop the pregnancy now, it will be obvious to everyone later, and giving birth is the most painful experience a woman can face. If you loved me, you wouldn’t ask me to do that.”

“But it’s not worth killing our child!”

“Stop calling it ‘our child’!”

“Is there nothing I can say that will change your mind?” Paul asked in one last ditch effort.

Lucy shook her head. “Nothing.”

That word rang like a death toll in Paul’s heart. He let his hatred fill him. “If that’s how it is…” he began, taking off his backpack and unzipping a side pocket. He took the dark blue straw doll out of the backpack, set the backpack down, and showed the doll to Lucy.

“What’s that?” Lucy asked. Momentary fear showed itself in her voice, but it quickly changed to anger. “Are you planning to curse me with that?”

“If I pull this red string, I can send you to Hell,” Paul told her angrily, “But I won’t do it unless you get the abortion. I won’t let you kill my baby.”

Lucy stared at him in horror and disgust. “I can’t believe you would actually think of doing something like that!” she exclaimed, “I thought I knew you!”

“Are you still going to get an abortion?” Paul pressed. His hands were shaking, and he tried to steady them, but he couldn’t.

“Of course I am,” Lucy replied spitefully, “I don’t even believe in a Hell. Maybe you do, but that’s just your opinion. You can’t manipulate me with your stupid voodoo doll.”

Paul let his arms fall weakly at his sides, trembling with helpless frustration. He hadn’t been expecting this response. “I’ll do it,” he mumbled, “I swear I will. And it’s real. I didn’t make this thing myself. Jigoku Shoujo gave it to me.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Lucy said, “And for the record, I think you’re scum.” And with that, she stalked past him, leaving him alone in the park. 

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:07 pm
BluesClues wrote a review...

Ahhhhh, there’s some disbelief!

Lucy so far seems like a more real person than Paul. Possibly it’s because she’s busy worrying about real things like pregnancy and what people will think of her being an unwed mother and whatever Paul has done to her in the past (which I’m insanely curious about after reading the first couple paragraphs of this chapter).

Or maybe it’s because I find Paul distasteful. That’s not something you need to change, by the way, unless you intend readers to sympathize with him more—it’s fine, even good sometimes, to have a character readers don’t like. I mean, I could sympathize with him because he’s desperate to save his unborn child and claims he’ll take complete care of it if Lucy will just carry it to term. (Plus he and Lucy were dating, so it’s not like a rape case where I would have NO sympathy toward the rapist wanting to “save his child.”)

But first of all, there’s no proof that he won’t lose interest the moment the baby is born—or even before, when he starts thinking about what a commitment that really is, especially to take on as a single parent who is still in school. Then there’s the fact that it’s mentioned in this chapter that he’s treated Lucy poorly in the past (which could merely refer to him getting angry that she wanted an abortion, but I feel like there’s more) and the fact that he doesn’t seem to understand what a burden pregnancy and giving birth are or what people are likely to think of an unwed mother, AND the fact that he clearly seems to care about the fetus far more than his fully-grown girlfriend and potential mother, AND the fact that he tries an outright manipulation to get Lucy to change her mind.

Which is not what a good person or someone who was in love would do.

Plus, since you showed us that Lucy secretly wants the child, too, but feels like an abortion is her only choice, she is actually far more sympathetic at this point than Paul. And I really like that you showed us that—she’s not portrayed as some cold-hearted monster or a party girl who doesn’t want to have kids; she’s shown as someone who feels like this is her only choice. It makes the whole thing so much more powerful.

I think that’s almost all I have to say about this bit, except that it was kind of an odd moment when Paul actually pulled out the doll to show to Lucy. Her REACTION was good—“I don’t know what you’re talking about” and then walking off—but it was just got to the doll really quickly, when that’s the sort of thing I’d think most people wouldn’t show to the other person at all, because most likely the other person is going to go, “Yeah, right,” and maybe laugh at you.

Paul does not seem like a very stable person.

Onward ho!

BlueAfrica

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:49 am
Chaser wrote a review...

Excellent, excellent, excellent! Let's continue!

First off, the plot. To be blunt, it's good. The argument is an excellent continuation, and it does well to bolster the characters' feud. It's also darkly satisfying to see Paul's plan fail, which puts the reader themselves in a bit of a grey zone. The sullen ending leaves the reader wanting more, and you've obviously supplied it.

As for your style, it's a little threadbare, but your word choice pulls it together. You don't really give descriptions beyond basic movements and tones of speech. Why don't you try a bit of imagery? More specifically, what did things look and feel like? Literary devices, similes and metaphors included, help to flesh out a scene.
Your dialogue is, once again, stunningly realistic, and the characters' actions are powerful in their bluntness.

Finally, characters. Lucy got a bit more depth with her sorrow, but her failure to express it also speaks volumes about her character. As for Paul, he's growing into a full, three-dimensional character. His actions, born from a mixture of despair and love, are continuing to impress me with their realism.

Overall, it's a decent read. You don't need to overdo description, but it's certainly a good technique to keep in mind. It's a nice follow-up to the initial argument, bringing out new sides in both of the characters. On to the next, I suppose. Cheers!

-Chaser

You cannot have an opponent if you keep saying yes.
— Richard Siken