16+

Mother and Father Part Five (Jigoku Shoujo The Saved and the Damned)

by Songmorning

Friday evening came, and Lucy found Holly in their room, praying over her Bible.

“Come on, let’s go,” Lucy said.

Holly looked up from her Bible, and Lucy saw that her face was tearstained. “I don’t know if I can do this,” she whimpered, “I don’t think it’s right.”

“Holly, of course it’s right,” Lucy replied, fear coming into her voice, “I’m not going to miss this appointment. If you won’t take me, I’ll go down to the corner and wait for a bus.”

“No, please don’t!” Holly jumped up from her desk. “I’ll take you.”

They walked out to Holly’s car. Dark clouds were gathering above the city, but the lamps along the streets and sidewalks kept the ground well-lit. Lucy just hoped there wouldn’t be a thunderstorm before they got back. It was a long walk to Holly’s car, but both girls were silent the whole way.

Holly plugged in her MP3 player and turned on her car’s engine. The MP3 player was on a random shuffle. As Holly pulled out of her parking spot, Lucy sat back in her seat and listened to the song’s guitar intro. A man started to sing:

“I thought that I heard crying coming through my door,

Was it Rachel weeping for her sons who were no more?

Could it have been the babies crying for themselves?

Never understanding that they died for someone else…”*

“Turn that off!” Lucy shrieked.

Holly jumped, almost running off the road, and she hurriedly reached down and pressed the “next” button on her MP3 player. The song changed to gentle, instrumental music with recorded birdsong. “I’m sorry,” Holly said shakily, “I didn’t know it would be that song. Really, I didn’t.”

Everyone and everything is against me, Lucy thought, turning her head and looking out at the passing city lights. She felt lost and afraid. In just a few hours it will all be over, she told herself. After the abortion, everything would be better. The nightmare would be over.

Holly pulled into a parking spot in front of the clinic but stopped almost a foot away from the curb as though she didn’t want to get any closer to the place than she had to. She was staring down at her lap, and Lucy noticed that her knuckles where white as she grasped the steering wheel. “Are you really sure you want to do this?” she whispered.

“I’m sure,” Lucy replied, and she jumped out of the car before she could change her mind. Her heart was pounding, and she grew more anxious with every step. She entered the clinic.

The first place they sent her to was a small room where a counselor waited for her. The counselor was an elegant woman with black hair partially tied up in a short ponytail.

Hone-Onna asked Lucy some questions, and Lucy told her what had happened. However, she didn’t mention the fact that Paul wanted to keep the baby.

“So you don’t think you would be able to take care of it?” Hone-Onna asked gently.

“I don’t,” Lucy said.

“And you’re certain you want to go through with this?”

“Please, Ma’am, don’t try to stop me like everyone else. I’m sick of arguing.”

“No, I’m not in a position to try to stop you,” Hone-Onna replied. I’m never in a position to interfere, she thought, looking at Lucy empathetically, Poor girl, you don’t realize what it will be like to lose a baby. She was thinking of her friend, Kiyo, from 200 years ago.

After filling out some paperwork which did not require her name, Lucy sat down in a waiting room with some other women. Most of the other women were nervous and silent like her, but the one sitting next to her laughed at her terrified expression and asked carelessly if this was her first abortion. She turned away without replying.

~~~

*The song is "Spirit of the Age" by Michael Card

Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:55 am

Nothing much to help you with on this chapter, alas. Feeling sorrier and sorrier for Lucy. Loving Hone Onna, and I like that she has a tie-in to the main issue of the plot because of a friend who lost a baby (which I am now also insanely curious about). I’d like to repeat my comments from the last chapter about Holly. Like, what a good friend. She can’t help putting her beliefs out there, but ultimately she always puts them aside to help her friend. Wow.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this early. But I also like that while Holly is an introvert and Lucy is not, they're the kind of friends who can share secrets with each other. Plus, even though she's an introvert, Holly is not the typical shy, quiet bookworm who can't say a thing for herself. Like I like that she stands up for her beliefs, even though I like it more that she ultimately supports her friend.

Next, please!

BlueAfrica

Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:21 am
Chaser wrote a review...

Review Day continues; so do I.

Plot: It does nicely to create a realistic situation. Pacing is excellent, drawing out the suspense. You could draw it out a bit more, but you don't need to. I think Hone-Onna's presence was a nice touch, though. While I can't say I know who Kiyo is, (probably someone from the source material) it does create a bit of a sympathy link, thin though it may be.

Style: Again, the pacing and monologues come together beautifully in the realistic setting. While the writer in me yearns for a bit more setting, it's really not the focus of the story, so it's not needed. On the other hand, it might be nice to know what the inside of an abortion clinic looks like. You could extend your vocabulary with adjectives, but your verbs are used quite nicely.

Characters: Again, Holly is a likable character, while Lucy remains the opposite. But the feeling of fear towards the situation is starting to create an effect of sympathy, which I applaud you for. As for Hone-Onna, it might be better if you gave her a detail that the reader could remember her by before mentioning her name. Her most prominent trait so far has been "beautiful." It's a good opportunity to give her a bit more depth, which you seem to be already doing anyway.

Overall, it's a nice continuation that burns with suspense. The characters keep growing, and the style keeps moving. It's nice to see how you've handled this sensitive topic that is still a pressing issue in today's world, even if it's not the main focus. Cheers!

-Chaser

Man is by nature a political animal.
— Aristotle