16+

Insult to Injury Part Two (Jigoku Shoujo The Saved and the Damned)

by Songmorning

Michelle Alders was just finishing setting the table when she heard the doorbell ring. She was about to go answer it, but her 21-year-old son Samuel told her not to bother and went to answer it for her. Samuel was taking college classes online and staying at home while he finished his studies. Michelle had always been proud of him, but Jason was secretly her favorite because he was the baby of her small family.

Suddenly, Samuel burst back into the room. The anxious edge in his voice made his mother look up quickly. She was suddenly afraid.

“Mom,” Samuel said, “There’s a cop at the door. He wants us to come with him. He says there’s been an accident and wants to know if…if we can identify the body.”

Michelle immediately followed him to the door, growing more terrified every second. She took her phone out of her jeans pocket as if to call Jason or her husband, but stopped. Either of them could be the “body” the policeman wanted her to identify. Her husband would be driving home from work around this time, and Jason had gone out on a bike ride. But it couldn’t have been Jason, could it? He would have been on the bike trail. And it might not be her husband either. It could be a friend, or even someone she didn’t know.

Mechanically, her mind full of unwelcome thoughts, Michelle got into her minivan with Samuel, started the engine, and followed the cop car to the scene of the accident. Distracting red and blue lights flashed everywhere from the police cars surrounding the scene. Michelle wished they would stop moving for a second. They were making her head throb painfully, and she could hardly see what had happened.

Bringing her car to a sudden stop, she threw it into park and jumped out, leaving the door open and the key in the ignition. There was a silver car in the ditch and a woman standing beside it. The woman was about Michelle’s age, and she was screaming hysterically, looking like she was having a mental breakdown.

Then Michelle saw the body lying in the grass near the front of the car. As she approached it, she realized it was the body of a teenage boy, and she broke into a run. It can’t be…it can’t be… she thought, tears coming to her eyes. It couldn’t possibly be Jason.

But it was.

Jason’s spine was broken at the waist and at the neck. His glasses were gone, and his terrified, staring face was covered in blood. Michelle stifled a gasp with her hand and turned away, shaking, unable to comprehend what she was seeing. She was too shocked even to cry.

“Ma’am, do you know who this is?” the policeman asked her gently.

“It’s—my son,” Michelle managed to choke out. Tears filled her eyes again, and she began to sob sporadically. Samuel put a hand on her shoulder in an awkward attempt to comfort her, but he looked like he was feeling the same way, though he was better at holding it in.

“Why didn’t you teach your son not to ride his damn bike in the middle of the road?!” the middle-aged woman screamed at her.

“You shut up!” Samuel shouted furiously, taking a step forward like he was going to punch her.

“No, you shut up!” the woman screamed back at him, “You don’t know what it’s like—to see a boy fly into your windshield and die right in front of you!”

The mental image this conjured up made Michelle cry even more.

His mother’s reaction made Samuel even angrier, but the policeman intervened. “Give her a little mercy,” he muttered to Samuel, “She’s having a panic attack and doesn’t know what she’s saying.”

Samuel backed down. 

Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:11 pm
HolographicLadybug wrote a review...

Hi again Songmornig! Holographic Ladybug back for yet another review of another one of your fantastic works! :D

I am slightly.......mortified. Th-that's good, right? I'm pretty sure it is. You've written this so fantastically, after all, especially if you're making me feel like this. Heh heh...

'Her husband would be driving home from work around this time, and Jason had gone out on a bike ride. But it couldn’t have been Jason, could it? He would have been on the bike trail. And it might not be her husband either. It could be a friend, or even someone she didn’t know.'
Foreshadowing! I love it! But I feel so cruel to consider this good. It is, but it just feels that way! So cruel to be loving this story right now. Ugh! Mixed emotions! But the use of foreshadowing was fantastic. :)
You've even demonstrated the anxiety of it all amazingly well. I could almost feel it. Really realistic again. That's the core for emotion in writing, right?

'Jason’s spine was broken at the waist and at the neck.'
This is another fine reason why I love your writing! It just hurts to imagine this! (Arrrggh! Why? Why do people have to get hurt?) Yet again, you've written so realistically and beautifully. Just.... Ow.

'“No, you shut up!” the woman screamed back at him, “You don’t know what it’s like—to see a boy fly into your windshield and die right in front of you!”'
More of the emotion! LOVE IT! Yet again, very realistic emotion. I wouldn't ever change it.

Wow, yet again. Still fantastic as ever.

Happy holidays! :)
~Holographic Ladybug!

Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:33 pm
tigeraye wrote a review...

hello. Overall, I found this chapter really great. You portrayed the closeness of the family very well, and you avoid a problem with most fan-fiction where it's filled with references to the story and alienates people who haven't read it. It feels like a legitimate story, if that makes any sense. The characters come to life very well, their emotions and interaction with each other are great for the most part.

Not sure whether Jason being her favorite was something you added just to make the impact of what happened even grander, or if you borrowed it from the plot, but either way, it shows a great tug of emotions on your part. Well done on including it.

I can tell you like the word "suddenly" a lot, and personally I feel like it's a word that's hard to refrain from x_x

The onset of fear and drama that comes over this family is very powerful.

Wow, is that really what happens? I thought the police would tell you what happened, but a cop asking a mother if they could identify the dead body of their kids? That's really morbid. Excellent portrayal about the woman's fears and anxiety upon learning the news, When people go into shock, they start to try to convince themselves that the person in trouble might actually be okay, which makes the end of this passage all the more realistic.

Towards the beginning, when you pointed out how Jason was always her favorite kid, that this was going the "jealous sibling" route, and somehow, Samuel would've been behind what happened to Jason, even though we just saw what happened and that wouldn't have been probable anyway. Now, seeing how Sam reacted, he just seems like a great character. Same with the woman who ran him over.

You're great at conveying the emotions in your characters. The family feels very realistic, and very relate-able. I'd imagine the next part would just be the two of them coming to terms with their loss, but she mentioned having a husband, too, so I'm interested in seeing how he would react to these events.

Songmorning says...

Kikiki, I've been trying to control my "suddenly" addiction a bit, but it's hard. :P

I think it really does happen that the police ask the parents to identify the body of a killed child, but maybe it doesn't happen in this dramatic a fashion. I might have tweaked reality just a bit here to intensify the impact. However, I got this from an autobiography I read of a mother whose son died in a car accident in Canada. The police brought the body to the mother for confirmation that it was who they thought it was. In that situation, they of course had a theory, and the mother already knew that it would more than likely be her son. Probably in my story, the uncertainty surrounding whether it was her son or her husband isn't 100% true to real life, but I think it would throw too big a wrench in the plot for me to change it. XD

tigeraye says...

ah yeah, its ok to stretch reality to make a more entertaining story. good work on it, I'll read more later ^^

Lightsong wrote a review...

Hey, I'm here to review again! Hopefully I can review all the chapters. :D

Suggestions;

Michelle Alders was just finishing setting the table when she heard the doorbell ring.

I think it's better suited to say "Michelle Alders had just finished setting the table..." if you want to go with she has just finishing that job instead of starting to finish it.

She was about to go answer it, but her 21-year-old son Samuel told her not to bother and went to answer it for her. Samuel was taking college classes online and staying at home while he finished his studies. Michelle had always been proud of him, but Jason was secretly her favorite because he was the baby of her small family.

Okay, these thought processes are a bit random. I don't think Michelle thinks of how Samuel is taking college classes online and other tidbits about him when he goes to answer the bell ring. If my son does it for, I would be grateful to have one like him, like this:

She was about to go answer it, but her 21-year-old son Samuel told her not to bother and went to answer it for her. She smiled, grateful to have her son grew up nicely. She had always been proud of him, although...

Well, I cheated a bit didn't complete the last sentence because 1) I don't want Michelle to finish that thought when Sam is doing her a favour and 2) it allows readers to make their own guesses about her thought. It's more interesting like this, isn't it?

Bringing her car to a sudden stop, she threw it into park and jumped out, leaving the door open and the key in the ignition.

"... into the park..."

There was a silver car in the ditch and a woman standing beside it. The woman was about Michelle’s age, and she was screaming hysterically, looking like she was having a mental breakdown.

You've already established that it is a woman, so go with "se" in the second sentence.

Then Michelle saw the body lying in the grass near the front of the car.

Never start a paragraph with "then". Put it in between or at the end.

Plot, characters, settings;

Yep, I can see now where the story is leading me to. :o Jason's mother, Michelle, is brought to police to identify Jason's body. This chapter here is emotional and I think you've pulled that feeling well. I can totally see a mother reacts like this. It seems like the way the middle-aged woman acts would be a trigger point to move the plot forward.

About the characters, Michelle's is shown the best here - her sadness, shock, and everything is shown vividly with nice body languages so kudos to you! Always use body languages to emphasize the character's personality. Sam is shown to have the same reaction as her but more concealed, though I don't really feel much from him. Maybe you need to give a bit more attention to him so that we can empathize him as much as we empathize Michelle. The middle-aged woman's character is solid here.

For the settings, let's just say you've no problem with it. A nice, just-enough imagery of what's happening, not too much to take the focus away from the story. Keep up the good job! :D

LordZeus wrote a review...

Hey its Zeus here to review for the Gamma Police! All hail the Gamma Police! OK and now for the review.
I have to say, it was a good story, but I felt that a few things could have been said a little better. For example, I think in 'She was about to go answer it, but her 21-year-old son Samuel told her not to bother and went to answer it for her.', what Samuel said should have been in direct speech, like 'She was about to go answer it, but then her 21-year-old son Samuel said "Don't bother, Mom. I'll answer it." And he went to answer it for her.' I think that would give more life to your characters, and make it easier for the reader to imagine it actually happening. Also, in 'Suddenly, Samuel burst back into the room. The anxious edge in his voice made his mother look up quickly. She was suddenly afraid.“Mom,” Samuel said, “There’s a cop at the door. He wants us to come with him. He says there’s been an accident and wants to know if…if we can identify the body.”'
You said that Samuel had an anxious edge in his voice before he said anything. I think that you should have put the dialogue before saying that he had an anxious edge in his voice, as in 'Suddenly, Samuel burst back into the room. “Mom,” Samuel said, with an anxious edge in his voice that made his mother look up quickly. She was suddenly afraid. “There’s a cop at the door. He wants us to come with him. He says there’s been an accident and wants to know if…if we can identify the body.”' I think this would be better as it shows what he siad with an anxious edge in his voice. Also, as I sated in my last review of your work, you have a tendency of making your sentences run on. For example, 'Mechanically, her mind full of unwelcome thoughts, Michelle got into her minivan with Samuel, started the engine, and followed the cop car to the scene of the accident.' Is too long and would be better said as 'Mechanically, her mind full of unwelcome thoughts, Michelle got into her minivan with Samuel. She started the engine, and followed the cop car to the scene of the accident.'
There were other sentences like this too. Please try to change that. Anyway, apart from the above, good work, and please keep writing!
-Zeus

News is not a game show. You don't win a car if you happen to be right.
— John Oliver