z

Young Writers Society


16+

Mother and Father Part Two (Jigoku Shoujo The Saved and the Damned)

by Songmorning


Warning: This work has been rated 16+.

Stumbling into his dorm room, Paul collapsed in front of his computer, staring at the screen with glazed eyes. He had a ton of homework to do, but he couldn’t muster up the energy to do it, so he just opened Facebook and scrolled listlessly through the comments. Some of his friends had posted links to funny pictures, and he scrolled through those without laughing or even really looking at them. His mind was completely absorbed in his talk with Lucy. Things had turned out so much worse than he could have imagined. For an instant, he had been given a vision of being a father, but then it had just been cruelly snatched away. His heart ached for the little life which could be his own son or daughter. Could be—if only Lucy would decide not to have an abortion. But Lucy hated him now, and the more he thought about it, the more he began to hate her too.

The doorknob rattled, causing him to start out of his Internet-stupor and look up. It was his roommate, a foreign student from Japan named Masaya Kataoka. Masaya’s hair was dyed brown, and he always worked overly hard at his classes and homework as if he was trying to regain some lost honor. Paul and Masaya didn’t talk very much—mainly due to the fact that Masaya was continually focused on school—but they shared a sort of mutual understanding that they were friends.

Masaya bowed his head slightly in greeting to Paul then went over to his desk against the other wall, opened his computer, and started working on his homework. Paul sunk back down into his swivel chair and continued to scroll down his Facebook wall. He was looking at statuses he had already seen, but he didn’t really notice.

After a while, not looking up from his computer, Paul said, “Hey, Masaya…”

Masaya turned around in his chair. “Yes?”

Meeting his eyes, Paul cautiously asked, “Have you ever...hated anyone?”

Masaya looked like he hadn’t been expecting that question, and he turned uncomfortably back to his computer screen. He was silent for a few seconds. Paul had just begun to think that he was ignoring him when he replied, “Yes. There was…a man who slandered my father and ruined our family. I hated that man.”

“What did you do?”

Masaya looked at Paul again. He seemed embarrassed. “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”

“Of course I would,” said Paul.

“I summoned Jigoku Shoujo,” Masaya told him.

“I don’t know what that is. Is it some kind of satanic ritual?”

Masaya smiled slightly. “You could say so. Except, all I had to do was type the name of the person I hated into the website, Jigoku Tsuushin, which can only be accessed at midnight. Then Jigoku Shoujo appeared, and she gave me a black straw doll with a red string around its neck.”

“She? You mean ‘Jigoku Shoujo’ is a girl?”

“Yes, her name means ‘Hell Girl’ in English because she can ferry the person you hate to Hell if you pull the string on the doll.”

“Did you pull the string?” Paul inquired.

“Yes,” Masaya told him, nodding, “And the person I hated disappeared. But I got this mark on my chest.” He pulled down his shirt collar to reveal a black mark which looked something like a flame with a circle around it. “The mark means that I will go to Hell too when I die, because I sent that person to Hell. Paul— ” he suddenly looked into his friend’s eyes with concern, “—Is there someone you hate?”

Paul nodded.

“Then forget I said this,” Masaya told him quickly, “It’s not worth it, knowing you’ll go to Hell too. Don’t access the website.”

“I won’t,” Paul lied.

~

~

~

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/023/6/0/jigoku_shoujo_symbol_by_sheisnadia-d4nfebb.png

That night, after Masaya was asleep, Paul quietly opened his computer. He looked at the time. It was just a few minutes before midnight. Hurriedly opening Google, he typed “Jigoku Sooshin” into the search box, trying to guess how it would be spelled. Fortunately, he was close enough: the Google search engine said, “Did you mean Jigoku Tsuushin?” and the first option it brought up looked like the right place.

Paul clicked the link just as midnight struck and surveyed the website that came up. It looks simple enough, he thought, So I just type her name in here, huh? He clicked on the text box, but then hesitated, his heart pounding violently in his chest. It’s all right, he told himself, It won’t happen right away, only if I pull the string. I wouldn’t send her to Hell now anyway, not with my baby inside her. I’ll only do it if she kills the baby. And so he typed, “Lucy Wright” into the box and clicked “Send”.

When he looked up, he was up on a hill with a tree in front of him and blood-red light surrounding him. Enma Ai stood before him with red eyes, pale face, and straight, black hair. Beside her stood the young man, Ichimoku Ren, and the beautiful woman, Hone-Onna. Paul’s eyes rested on Hone-Onna for a few moments, but Enma Ai’s intense stare drew his gaze back to her.

“My name is Enma Ai,” she said, “You called me.”

“Jigoku…Shoujo,” Paul whispered, watching her in amazement.

“Do you really hate your girlfriend this much?” Hone-Onna asked in her smooth voice, “It seems that you loved her just yesterday.”

“I-I won’t pull the string unless she does it,” Paul stammered, “When she makes her decision, I’ll make mine, but I’m going to change her decision. I won’t let her kill my baby. I can’t.” His voice cracked as he held back a sob.

“What? Are you going to use the doll to manipulate her?” Ichimoku Ren guessed.

“Ichimoku Ren,” Enma Ai said, as though rebuking him.

“Yes, Young Miss,” the young man sighed. He kissed a golden coin hanging around his neck, and then bent down, turning into a very dark blue straw doll with a crimson string around its neck.

Enma Ai held the doll out to Paul. “Take this,” she said.

Paul snatched the doll away from her with trembling hands.

“If you really wish to take revenge you may pull the red string,” Enma Ai told him, “You make a covenant with me when you pull the string. The recipient of your revenge will be ferried straightaway to Hell.”

Paul stared at the doll, a sick feeling in his heart. He knew what she was going to tell him, but her words and voice made just as strong an impression on him as if he didn’t know.

“However,” Enma Ai went on, “Once the revenge has been dealt, you are required to pay the compensation. Two holes appear when you curse a person. Your soul will also fall into Hell. You will not be able to go to Heaven. You will be plunged into pain and suffering, left to wander for all eternity.”

“Wait—y-you mean right away?” Paul gasped.

“Well, that’s later, when you die,” Enma Ai said.

“Even so…” shuddered Paul. He felt like his knees were about to give way.

Suddenly, he was back in his dorm room.

“The rest…” Enma Ai whispered from behind him, “is for you to decide.”

Masaya awoke with a start, thinking he had heard the voice of Jigoku Shoujo. However, by the time he looked down from the top bunk, Paul was lying on his side in bed, facing the wall, apparently asleep. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1737 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1737

Donate
Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:03 pm
BluesClues wrote a review...



Hi there! I just have a couple of notes on this chapter for you.

And, actually, on the prologue and “part 1” as well, because I skimmed them last night so I wouldn’t be lost when I read this part today. Part 1 should be part of the prologue, not the first chapter, since it deals with characters outside the main story and is presumably there to show you that Jigoku Tsuushin works. I’m guessing the girl from the prologue put the boy’s name from part 1into the website and that’s why he was hit while riding his bike and then went straight to hell. But I didn’t get that until I read this chapter. I was just kind of like, “who is this kid” when I got to part 1, because (having seen the names of your main characters while I copied these into Word so I could review them at work) he didn’t seem to have anything to do with the main story. If he had been part of the prologue—for example, after a scene break like you used in the middle of this chapter—I wouldn’t have questioned it.

Okay, so that’s it for the other two chapters. Which I guess I could have actually left reviews on, but whatever. It was short, so I might as well include it here.

It’s really cool that you’ve combined Japanese culture and something that seems like demons/voodoo with the Internet. It’s a nice mix of old and modern.

It was a little weird to me to name the Japanese demons, let’s call them, before Paul knew their names, since we appeared to be in his POV more than in an omniscient POV for this chapter. It was fine after their names were mentioned.

Also, I was confused during Paul’s conversation with the demons when it came out that Lucy had not yet made the decision to get an abortion but rather was strongly considering it. Because at the beginning of this chapter, when Paul is thinking about it, it sounds as if she’s already gotten the abortion. If you make the first mention of it clearer, that would solve the problem.

A final note is that the conversation between Paul and Masaya about Jigoku Shoujo seemed too easy. I’m having difficulty explaining just what I mean, but I’ll try my best.

One thing was that Masaya told Paul all about this website he didn’t think Paul should use before it occurred to him to ask if Paul hated someone and was planning to do something about it. That was a little dense. Why would Paul even ask if he didn’t have a reason? “Have you ever hated anyone” is an awfully weird conversation starter if you aren’t thinking of someone you hate yourself.

Which wouldn’t matter, except if Masaya is so worried about other people using the website and going to hell, he should probably make sure they’re not asking so they can actually use it.

Also, Paul’s acceptance of everything was really quick. If I knew more about him at this point in the story, maybe this would make sense to me. He might be superstitious or a big believer in the supernatural. But as it stands right now, I see an ordinary college boy believing right off the bat in a website that will work some voodoo magic stuff on someone he hates. There’s not a single moment of disbelief, and for someone I know very little about, he also seems incredibly concerned about the him going to hell after he dies…which for all he knows is a long way off, plus he doesn’t know that this will work.

Of course, after reading the prologue, WE know it’ll work, which would make his disbelief and almost casual use of the site a lot creepier because he wouldn’t be worried about it at all, while meanwhile the reader is going: “Don’t do it! Do you hear me? DON’T DO IT.”

I don’t know if that bothered any other readers, but it’s just something I wanted to mention because his belief happened too quickly for me. Additionally, Paul’s hatred of his own girlfriend at the fact that she’s merely considering abortion (even if it does seem like her mind is made up) is so quick that it makes me wonder how much he ever actually loved her. But I guess that remains to be seen as I read on.

On to the next chapter!

BlueAfrica




User avatar
177 Reviews


Points: 1093
Reviews: 177

Donate
Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:34 am
Chaser wrote a review...



Review Day, murder faker.

Let's begin with plot. Again, the logic behind it is sound. It also offers a unique suspense with the situation, tinged with a bit of hopelessness. That alone drives the story forward, so I commend you for it.
There's only one part that I'd like to go over: when Paul and Masaya talk. It seems a bit too straightforward. Most people have "hated" someone in their lives, or at the very least thought they did. It feels like a bit of a gap for Masaya to immediately talk about the guy who ruined his family.
(Note: Where's Wanyuudo?)

Alright, moving on to style. Your vocabulary is good, with no redundancies in sight. But I noticed that you spent less time describing Enma Ai. Since I remember the one in Insult to Injury as being exceptional, it's a bit disappointing.
The same thing with the website. Paul just skimmed over it, whereas last time, there was a burning screen. You don't have to repeat yourself word for word, but it's always nice to see a new twist on an old concept.
The dialogue flows smoothly, and the descriptions work nicely. I would suggest a wider range of adjectives, though.
Other things you could elaborate on: Masaya sleeping, the hell mark, the doll, Enma's eyes

As for characters, Masaya seems like a solid person. Maybe it's the fact that he doesn't really show much of a personality that makes him so realistic. He's kind, thoughtful, but doesn't really speak out too much. This applies to a good many people in the real world.
It's also nice to see a different side to Paul. Mostly through his dialogue, you bring out the raw fear and anger that rests within every human.
You also do well with Ichimoku Ren and Hone-Onna, giving each a solid characterization in their limited time. As for Enma Ai, while it's less impressive than last time, it's still a well-described character.

Overall, it's a decent continuation with a few minor issues. In all, an excellent read. I'd suggest a bit more description of the supernatural element to make it shine. Cheers!


-Chaser





English is just three languages in a trenchcoat.
— KateHardy