16+

Insult to Injury Part Seven (Jigoku Shoujo The Saved and the Damned)

by Songmorning

Michelle and Allan arrived at their lawyer’s office, on schedule, at 3:00 in the afternoon. Janet was already there with her lawyer, and when Michelle saw her, she had an awful flashback of the night that Jason died. She remembered how hysterical Janet had been. Even then, that woman had tried to accuse her.

Michelle and Allan sat down around a table with their lawyer, Janet’s lawyer, and Janet to discuss the situation.

“Explain to me clearly the charges that your client is bringing against mine,” Michelle’s lawyer began, addressing the other lawyer.

“My client is suing yours for damages done to her car, and for the extreme psychological trauma she had to endure as a result of a road accident with your client’s son,” the other lawyer replied calmly.

“That accident killed my son!” Michelle screamed suddenly, slamming her hands down on the table and leaping up from her chair, “Shouldn’t I be the one suing her?” She hadn’t planned to react this way, but hearing the absurd charge again made her lose control.

“I was driving responsibly,” Janet returned icily, “The accident wasn’t my fault. What was your son doing riding his bike in the middle of the highway at night? He could have just as easily ridden on the bike trail or even on the shoulder. I just came around the corner, and there he was. I didn’t have time to stop.”

“I don’t know why he was on the highway,” Michelle returned in a strained voice, “But you can’t hold me responsible for this!”

“You were the one who didn’t teach him properly!”

“That’s ridiculous! Most of the time, he did ride on the biking trails! I don’t know why he was on the highway, but you can’t blame him for being irresponsible! My son was a good boy!” Tears started to come to her eyes again, and she dashed them away hurriedly, angry at herself for starting to cry at a time like this.

“Well, someone has to compensate me for everything I’ve suffered,” Janet argued, “That experience ruined me!” She shuddered. “Don’t you get it? I’ve had to see a psychologist every week since it happened! Who will pay for my counseling bills?”

“You think you’ve suffered?!” Michelle cried, “Try burying both your sons within a few months of each other! That’s right, my other son—the only child left to me—died too because he couldn’t handle the grief of his brother’s death! His death is your fault too! They’re both all your fault!”

For an instant, a look of horror flashed across Janet’s eyes, but then it turned into anger, and she jumped up to face Michelle. “Don’t try to blame me for that!” she shouted, “It’s your son’s own fault that he killed himself—and it’s your other son’s fault that he died from doing something so risky! It’s not my fault, I tell you! You can’t know what it’s like to suddenly see a teenage boy’s neck break right in front of your face! I almost crashed and died right there, and I’ve never been able to get that image out of my head! I have breakdowns all the time! I can’t sleep without nightmares! I keep going to the psychologist, but the counseling is hardly helping, and my husband even left me because he couldn’t stand me anymore! You can’t know what that’s like either—you have your husband right there supporting you! Who’s going to pay for this? Who’s going to pay for everything I’ve gone through?”

“If you think what happened isn’t your fault, how can you think it’s mine?” Michelle spat, “I wasn’t even there! Maybe you should just get over your so-called ‘psychological trauma’ and stop whining—because no one close to you has died! You can’t sue me—I was hurt worse than you!”

Janet sat down. “Well, I am suing you,” she said coldly, with a kind of satisfaction in her voice, “I’m suing you for $100,000.”

“What?!” Allan shouted, but Michelle was dumbstruck. She stood there silently for a few moments, then abruptly, she turned and ran from the room, grabbing her purse as she went.

Michelle ran through the hall away from her lawyer’s office, as fast as she go. She could hear Allan calling after her, but she only ran faster, not wanting him to catch up to her. That woman doesn’t care at all about what happened to me! she thought, She can only think about herself! She doesn’t care that two people died because of this!

Making it to the door of the building, she jerked it open and ran outside. She sprinted down the sidewalk a little ways, then quickly turned into a narrow alleyway and collapsed, panting, with her back against a brick wall. Opening her purse, she took out the black straw doll and lifted it in one, trembling hand. She stared at the doll, her heart beating faster and faster. With this, I could send that woman to Hell, she thought, She would disappear…she wouldn’t be able to sue us. Gritting her teeth, a gleam of hatred coming into her eyes, she told herself, That woman deserves to go to Hell. She doesn’t care about anyone but herself. And she killed them—she killed both of them! That can’t be forgiven!

Breathing heavily, Michelle pinched the end of the red string between two trembling fingers. She was going to do it. She was going to pull it. She didn’t care if she would go to Hell too—she had to avenge her sons; she had to protect Allan from losing all that money. That woman can’t be forgiven! her mind screamed at her. She began to pull at the end of the string.

She can be forgiven, said another voice. Michelle froze. Vengeance is Mine; I will repay, said the voice.

Then why don’t You send her to Hell instead of having Jigoku Shoujo do it? Michelle argued.

It is not yours to know whether she is destined for Heaven or Hell, replied the voice, Only know that I have already paid the vengeance due to you.

But what have I done wrong? Michelle asked, I’m not like her!

For one thing, you desired to murder her, the voice pointed out, But I have forgiven you for that, and for every other sin you have committed against Me.

“I believe You have,” Michelle whispered aloud, surprising herself. Intense shame washed over her, but it was immediately replaced by hope and gratitude. “Thank You…Jesus,” she said, and in that moment, she felt that her heart had changed.

As she said this, Enma Ai suddenly appeared, her red eyes seeming to glow in the darkness of the alley. “Return the doll to me,” Enma Ai ordered softly, holding out her hand, “You are no longer able to go to Hell. You are no longer able to curse a person.”

Gratefully, Michelle returned the black straw doll to Jigoku Shoujo. The desire to pull the string had completely vanished from her heart.

When Enma Ai took the doll, it immediately changed back into Wanyuudo, the old man with the red scarf. Wanyuudo’s lips stretched into a wide smile. “Hmm,” he said. Looking down at Michelle, he remarked, “Perhaps what we’re doing can’t stop that Person’s plans after all.”

Enma Ai didn’t respond to this. Instead, she simply said, “Let’s go,” before turning and silently walking away. Wanyuudo followed her.

When Michelle came out from the alley, they were gone.

“Michelle!”

Michelle looked up to see Allan running toward her.

“Are you all right?” he asked.

Smiling, Michelle replied, “Now I am. But I need to speak to Janet. Privately.”

Allan looked concerned. “I really don’t think that’s a good idea…” he began awkwardly.

“It’s all right,” Michelle assured him, “I won’t argue with her anymore.”

Allan stared at her like she had just sprouted antennae. “What happened to you?” he asked incredulously, “Just a minute ago, you were screaming your head off.”

Without replying, Michelle walked past him. She went into the waiting room of the building and found Janet there. “Can we talk for a while?” she asked gently.

Janet eyed her suspiciously. “You didn’t go out to get a gun, did you?” she inquired sardonically.

With an effort, Michelle smiled. “No,” she replied, “I just need to tell you something…please.” She can be forgiven, she repeated to herself, She can be forgiven.

Janet decided it would be safe enough to talk with Michelle privately, and they went back to the lawyer’s office alone, closing the door behind them. Once there, Michelle hesitated, suddenly unsure how to say what she needed to say.

“I…” she began, and then faltered. Janet looked at her with curious, judging eyes.

Michelle steeled herself. She had to say this firmly and certainly. “I forgive you,” she said.

Janet was astonished. She stared at Michelle for a few seconds with an open mouth, completely at a loss for words. Tears formed in her eyes, but she seemed to be trying to hold them back. “Just so you know,” she said in a trembling voice which seemed to be trying to keep its dignity, “I haven’t been seeing a psychologist because of trauma over what I saw. It was actually because of the guilt I’ve been dealing with.” Without waiting for Michelle to respond, she left the room.

~

~

~

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/023/6/0/jigoku_shoujo_symbol_by_sheisnadia-d4nfebb.png

The next day, Michelle’s lawyer called her to tell her that Janet had called off the lawsuit. As she hung up, Michelle smiled, amazed at how happy she was. She felt that she understood Janet’s feelings now, and she thanked Jesus for what had happened. She wasn’t really sure what was next now that she was a Christian, but she guessed they would be able to help her at that church.

Settling down on the couch, Michelle looked through a photo album of Samuel and Jason. She felt a little stab of pain in her heart with each memory, but this pain wasn’t greater than she could bear. Though she didn’t know if she would ever get over their deaths completely, she no longer hated anyone because of it. And that…that was peace.

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:51 am
HolographicLadybug wrote a review...

Hi again! I'm back!

So it concludes. This was a very intense Part. Yet again, you surprise me with your show of emotion and pace. This was amazing.

' “Shouldn’t I be the one suing her?” '
I've been wondering the same thing. It seems more rational that Michelle would be suing Janet. But, of course, the ending kind of puts this to rest. Good job on linking to that. :)

'“The accident wasn’t my fault.'
You're displaying two individuals who have been placed under stress so well. There are irrational things that they are doing, which is probably normal, so that looks nice on your part.
(Oh, and Janet, it's called an accident for a reason.)

'That woman doesn’t care at all about what happened to me! she thought, She can only think about herself! She doesn’t care that two people died because of this!'
Incredibly true. You are displaying the whole emotions thing extremely well, especially here. (I'm getting a bit repetitive, aren't I?) The situation for Michelle is awful, so it's completely natural for her to think this. (Not to mention true.)

'Settling down on the couch, Michelle looked through a photo album of Samuel and Jason. She felt a little stab of pain in her heart with each memory, but this pain wasn’t greater than she could bear. Though she didn’t know if she would ever get over their deaths completely, she no longer hated anyone because of it. And that…that was peace.'
Exactly how I would feel after something like this. This is a miraculous conclusion for your story. Slightly heartbreaking knowing the bad ending for her sons, yet peaceful considering how she ended up dealing with it. I feel very at peace reading this--I felt the same after reading Dirty Streets as well. You have a way of doing that, which is amazing and shows the reader things that they never have seen before. It's awesome how you do this, so I thank you for all of that. Truly amazing, Songmorning. Truly amazing.

Happy Holidays! :)
~Holographic Ladybug :) :D :)

Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:38 am
tigeraye says...

Hello, here to review the last part. Sorry that my reviews on this got lousier, it has nothing to do with your end, just me running out of things to say. I've struggled religiously in the past, so it's just kind of a tough subject for me to comment on in general. Plus, if I can be honest, I was sort of disinterested with that chapter because I was so interested in seeing the end. It came to me as sort of filler-ish, even though it wasn't at all, obviously considering the ending to this one it was more than needed. So it ends up being a bit precarious.

But, moving on, I was excited to see how this would end and...you didn't disappoint! Seeing the last remnants of Michelle's family was toughing in a poetic way, and the rising drama to the point where you were actively capturing every last second when she had her fingers on the doll were beautiful. And I'm so glad we got a happy ending, too.

Thing(s):

“That accident killed my son!” Michelle screamed suddenly, slamming her hands down on the table and leaping up from her chair,

Here we are with the suddenlys again :P

Ah, Janet is asking to be sent to hell at this point.

yeah, I'm not sure if it was your purpose, but she really does come off as comedic. Was Janet a character in the anime too, or just your creation? I'm curious.

You can’t know what it’s like to suddenly see a teenage boy’s neck break right in front of your face! I almost crashed and died right there, and I’ve never been able to get that image out of my head!

But then the next paragraph, my amusement turns to a bitter sense of grief and sympathy. Well done, twisting my emotions the way you want to like that x_x

And aw, that ending was heartwarming. With how sorrowful this was, I was convinced that things were going to end badly for Michelle, I'm glad I was wrong. Great story, I'll read Dirty Streets next ^^

Songmorning says...

Thanks for reading, and for all the reviews! Actually, Janet and Michelle and everyone except for Enma Ai and her three helpers are my own characters. The way the anime is set up, you mostly get a new set of characters and a new twisted situation in every episode. Enma Ai and her three helpers are constant, and their stories develop in the background. This structure makes Jigoku Shoujo a good format for me to address things that seriously bother me from real life: in this case, unjust lawsuits. All Jigoku Shoujo episodes happen in Japan, but I extrapolated that she would also take requests from other countries like America, and (in the case of "Dirty Streets"), India. When I watched the first episode of "Jigoku Shoujo", I didn't realize that I wouldn't be meeting most of the characters again, so I really don't see it a sa problem that you assumed Michelle and the others were from the anime. Nothing I need to change in that regard. :P

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:29 am
Chaser wrote a review...

I suppose I should've expected that religion alone would save the day in a spiritual short-story. There's certainly nothing wrong with it (I'm a Christian myself, actually), but it might feel a bit unsatisfying. After all, it's literally Jesus himself who saves Michelle from pulling the string. Shouldn't she be a bit more reluctant after all this pain builds up? You've done well portraying her character up until now, but becoming a Christian doesn't mean that the old personality has to completely, instantly fade. It's an awkward line to toe in literature, and that alone I applaud you for. If you're satisfied with the plot, then that's really all that matters. Moving on:

Janet was already there with her lawyer, and when Michelle saw her, she had an awful flashback of the night that Jason died.

I suppose that "show, don't tell" isn't the most helpful thing to say, but really, I think this scene would be a bit more compelling if you take the audience back in time with Michelle. The gruesome, bloody imagery can only fuel the flame for the climax.

Wanyuudo’s lips stretched into a wide smile.

I'm having a bit of trouble picturing old man lips. I'm not sure "stretched" is the best word to use.

Allan shouted, but Michelle was dumbstruck.

Again, show don't tell. Emotions are compelling! The feeling when the world seems to drop away in utter shock is certainly relatable. And since Michelle's an emotion-driven character, it wouldn't be out of place.

As for the character's, I'll repeat that Michelle's a very powerful character. Janet, I'm conflicted upon. Sure, she's a little flat (character-wise, not, well, you know) at the start, but I personally interpret that as on purpose. Just because you see an odious side of someone doesn't give you the right to judge them. If that's what you were going for, then I congratulate you. Allan, on the other hand, seems a bit too flat for my taste. What he says could have come out of anyone else's mouth, so it doesn't really build him up as a character. What can he contribute that nobody else can? He's her husband, for crying out loud.

Overall, it's a nice finish to a compelling story. It's not perfect, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. A bit more negative emotion in this section might improve it, but that's more of an opinion. Cheers!

-Chaser

Songmorning says...

Hahaha, you're right about Allan. All he is right now is "Husband" *_*

You're also right about how the conversion scene needs changes. I'm going to do a complete rewrite of it when I get the chance. I want it to be compelling, not awkward and abrupt--At the same time, though, I need to figure out how to illustrate that singular, existential moment in time in which the Holy Spirit enters a person and everything is turned on its head. Dostoyevsky was able to write existential moments like that without making them awkward or abrupt, so I know it's possible. :P

EscaSkye wrote a review...

Mm... well, I'm back, and I think I've got interesting stuff to type about. Let's get started.

Before I start with what I think of the ending, I've got to comment on that argument. I understand that it's a heated exchange between a mother and her child's "killer", but I found that sometimes, people get distracted from the writing if the author puts a lot of exclamation points. That's what I noticed there: those parts were full of it. You might want to tone that down a bit, if ever.

Now, as for the ending proper, I have to say I am relieved but conflicted about what happened. Yes, what I hoped for came to be, that Michelle didn't go through with the plan, but that scene that changed her mind seemed... weirdly rushed to me. It was as if after a snap of a finger, Michelle went from being angry and frustrated to calm and level-headed. I don't really know what to think of that. I feel like there should be more transition to her calming down? I mean, from the previous entry, she was either an unbeliever or believer who was shaken. I would think it would have been a little harder on her part to believe the voice inside her head, but hey, at least she got through the ordeal without sending Janet to Hell, I guess.

As for Janet, she seems flat, which is understandable given the series, but I guess I would have wanted to see more depth to her person. I am relieved she admits that she feels guilt, but during that argument? That was a major "whoa" moment for me and a part that either emphasizes or denies her confession. I guess you intended it that way though. This is my opinion, but I believe she could have shown empathy for Michelle and be less rude, despite being on the opposite side of the argument, because let's face it: Michelle lost her children. Children she loved. Children she raised. Really, Janet? Blaming the mother and saying she didn't teach the kids right? Well... at least she called off the lawsuit. I guess she really did feel remorse.

Anyway, I liked it. There were just some stuff here and there, but it's all good. Great job and keep writing!

Songmorning says...

I agree with your exclamation point suggestion. :3 I'll fix that in my rewrite.

Janet doesn't show empathy in the argument because she's trying to protect her heart. If she tries to see Michelle's side, she fears that fall completely into this horrifying guilt that threatens to consume her. She's also a proud woman--not the kind of person who would let someone into her heart easily. Only, I'm not sure how to portray all this when we only have Michelle's perception of Janet to work with. We don't delve into Janet's heart, and she's not going to stick around and talk with Michelle more--she wants to get out of there. If you have any suggestions about this problem, I'd be interested to hear them! :D

As for Michelle's conversion, it's meant to be sudden and complete, but it's not meant to feel rushed. I'm trying to express that moment at which the Holy Spirit enters a person's heart and everything changes in an instant. Michelle is going to go from angry to compassionate, not by her own decision but by an uncontainable Love entering her and saving her like nothing else can. You're quite right! I do need to make major changes to this scene. After the incident, Michelle seems too calm--she should be trembling. Something should come before "I believe You have," though I can't quite decide what yet. Admittedly, I've also felt that it's rushed.

EscaSkye says...

Mm, I see. Maybe you could present more of her emotions in that scene? Or some memories that could relate to her feeling compassionate or warm, say, perhaps something related to her sons since they're the ones who are somewhat triggering these strong emotions within her. I think it would be pretty cool to see that her children or at least the memory of them would be the ones to soothe her, to go against the pain and anguish. That's just my opinion though.

It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.