z

Young Writers Society



fiery hazards

by Shady



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
286 Reviews


Points: 625
Reviews: 286

Donate
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:45 am
View Likes
silented1 says...



Try writing about missing writing. It might help.




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 86
Reviews: 10

Donate
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:00 am
View Likes
LadyTano wrote a review...



Hello and good day, Shadow Vyper!
Your poem has a good message that I think most of us can relate to.
The funny thing is I've actually written a poem with a similar message very recently, and the other day, I found another one by another YWS user!
I love how you put the words into a background, that is something I'm going to have to try soon. You also used all lowercase letters to convey a sense of loneliness and doom, didn't you? The poem doesn't rhyme, but it flows smoothly and should roll off the tongue (if I spoke it, but I'm in a room full of people! Although I'm sure they would appreciate your poem!)
An idea has been floating around my mind recently, and I thought I'd put it out there, what if we compiled a book of (100 or so) YWS poems (with the poets' permission of course) and published it?!
Anyway, love the poem, love the message, keep it up, Poet!

Truly, Miecz




Shady says...


Thanks so much! I appreciate the review c:

Something similar has actually been done in the past, re: publishing an anthology of works from YWS. The problem comes in with things like internet safety (i.e., a large percentage of YWS are minors who shouldn't be sharing their real names online) and coordinating it all.



LadyTano says...


Yeah, now thinking further into it, it would be a lot!



yosh says...


@MieczAutorski yeah YWS did that a long time ago in a thing called the YWS journal or something journal/



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:54 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...



[hello I have no review I just love this, that is all~]




Shady says...


<33



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 153
Reviews: 11

Donate
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:43 am
View Likes
anneonomus wrote a review...



Hi! This is a really cool poem, and the message is very relatable. I love the sustained fire imagery throughout, and I think the idea of being "prescribed a burn" is a really interesting way of mixing a sort of sterile, medical imagery with the natural imagery of fire.
I did have a few notes on the flow of some of the lines, starting with the line,

to maintain the internal health of my soul.

which felt a little awkwardly phrased to me. I might suggest cutting out the word "internal" as it's already implied by "soul"— or, if you wanted to keep the more natural fire imagery that seems generally ascribed to the speaker in the poem, I would suggest switching out "health" for "temperature". This could also subtly be in keeping with the more medical imagery in the poem, as body temperature is something that needs to be maintained for health.
The other line I felt was a little awkward was,
the glow within me now dreary and cold.

This line is the third time that "within me" shows up in the poem, and in my opinion, it seems a little redundant. I would suggest taking out the "within me" and changing the "the" at the beginning of the line to "my" so the line would read, "my glow now dreary and cold."
These are just small personal notes though, so feel free to take them with a grain of salt. Overall, I think the poem's message is clear and the imagery is captivating. Hope to read more from you in the future!




Shady says...


Thanks so much for the review! I completely agree with your suggestions, and I really appreciate the help! c:




I drink tea and forget the world's noises.
— Chinese saying