z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Dear Bud, This is True.

by Cynder


~My heart confides what has not been said. To you my dear friend, my best bud.

Truly, my friend,

I could not exist without you.

Truly,

I could not be the person I am now.

I could not smile the way I do,

I would be lost without you.


You pulled me through,

Good times and bad.

We laughed and cried,

Jumped and tried,

Tried desperately to fly.


I love you with all my being,

My soul,

And other half of my heart.

And yet we drifted apart.

Our bond was always there-

It never left-

But we were no longer the inseparable pair.


No, my sister.

I left you.

I left you for what I thought

Was my own Lord of Light.


This pure laugh,

Constant joy,

Unwavering will,

I followed her as a moth to a flame.

I thought her Light was the answer,

My purpose to protect,

My reason to fight.

I thought the lonely darkness would recede.


In the end,

She was no god.

She never understood.


When I was betrayed,

She dismissed my sorrow.

When I quietly pleaded " Listen!"

She said "I am."

When I told her of my pain,

She stared at me unmoving,

Waiting for the real star to show.

When I mustered the courage to share again,

She finally, finally grieved.

But only until her confidante told her otherwise,

Told her that I was undoubtedly wrong.


She never defended me,

Never truly supported me.

I loved her for the thing she resembled,

A golden princess,

A Lord of Light.

Stepping away from the allusionary pillar,

I then realized my folly.


If there was to be a Lord of Light,

It would surely be you.

You, who never left,

When in fact I left you.

I'm sorry my friend.

I'm sorry I left.

I know you'll understand,

Because you're the second sister I never had.


Through no cause but my own,

I missed out on precious time with you;

I will not do so again.

I will enjoy our laughs,

Our tears,

Our cries of joy,

Our hugs,

Our wisecracks,

Our forever-existing bond.


And when our paths must part again,

I will truly smile,

One dimple and a crinkle in the eye,

Delighted at the journeys before us.

We are sisters now,

Always the best of friends.


Thanks to you,

I smile the way I do.

Thanks to you,

I am never alone.

I love you, my sister,

From now till the end of time.

Another Truth: Best Friends


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
176 Reviews


Points: 1983
Reviews: 176

Donate
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:56 am
View Likes
sheysse wrote a review...



Hey there! Shey here for a review!

I'm tired, and it's late, so apologies if this is brief. Basically, I read this and had decided to review it with one comment in mind, so I won't necessarily elaborate on much else. Keep in mind, however, that I really enjoyed this poem. :)

My main comment here is the formatting. Or lack of, to be more precise. Formatting, splitting stanzas, all of that is repeatedly considered unimportant by many poets. "Meh, I'll ditch formats, since it's not that important. The poem will work without it." This is a huge misconception among poets, but I beg to differ that no, stanzas are vitally important, and that one cannot go without properly spacing a poem. Now, as I understand it, the Publishing Center is a demon who eats up beautiful format, so I'll teach you the spell to prevent it from doing so.

First, select the "</>", after entering the center. It should be in the top right. Then put a "<p>" before each stanza, and a "</p>" after each one. Lastly, put "</br>" after each line, and you should have a beautifully formatted poem! Ta-dah!

Overall, nice job! Keep up the great work, cause I look forward to seeing more from you!

~Shey~




Cynder says...


Thanks for the tips! I'm glad you liked it! It would probably help the poem read better if I formatted it, so I'll try that. Really appreciate the review. :)



User avatar
276 Reviews


Points: 16802
Reviews: 276

Donate
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:43 am
View Likes
rosette wrote a review...



I'm not entirely sure why I decided to read this while listening to some melancholy, soft song on YouTube. Yeah. I basically started bawling.
This was so sweet and touching. You've really just taken this simple phrase of "best friends" and exemplified it into so much more. It's so personal and poignant - you did a really good job.

I like how you spend a good portion of this describing how close you two are, but I would like some more details on this apparent Lord of Light you left your friend for. You didn't exactly specify if you were betrayed by her, though I am assuming that. I'm also struggling with the phrase "Lord of Light". Though, that'd probably just be me - I'm thinking it relates to a certain story or whatever, which only makes this even more personal. But somewhat difficult for me to wrap my mind around.

Maybe adding some more sensory details,or imagery would help freshen this poem up. Either way, I think it's lovely.

Thank you for sharing, and have a fantastic day.
~rosette




Cynder says...


It had to be a melancholy song. XD Thank you so much. Other people have suggested the same thing, so I'll do my best. :)



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 82
Reviews: 13

Donate
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 am
View Likes
AneiDoru wrote a review...



This poem is great at describing friendship, and when friends fight because of a new relationship that comes in between them. I feel that maybe the girlfriend didn't want you speaking to other women, probably out of jealousy, or that the friend didn't approve of the relationship and their friendship became strained as a result. I'm glad that the friend got back together with you in the end, sometimes there aren't happy ends, but that's how the world works. I feel relieved for you, now that you have your friend back. I really feel you are describing your growth as a person, and the failure that leads to change in perspective and self realization.




User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:00 am
View Likes
PrincessInk wrote a review...



<3

This must be deeply personal to you and I think it's lovely to get these thoughts on paper. It feels a lot like an ode to your best friend, about how close you are to her and how much you wish you could come together.

I only have a few comments to make:

This is narrative poetry, so I'd wish to see a stronger thread of a narrative here, to make it feel more *real*. I'm sensing the shift from the true friend to the false one and finally to the wish of having the real friend back (or perhaps returning to the real friend), but perhaps having it a tad stronger would be nice.

I would love to see more specific details in this poem. This is just my preference, but some more vivid imagery would be lovely in my opinion. This feels quite abstract, and while I can enjoy it, maybe I would like to try to draw out something more exact?

Food for thought.

I hope this short-ish review helps, and let me know if you have something to say! :D

This review courtesy of
Image




Cynder says...


I appreciate it! It is personal, but I like the idea of specifics. If you can give me some examples, I'd be happy to try them. Thanks so much. :)



User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate


I'm officially making it my goal in life to become a roomba. I want to be little robot. I want knives taped to me. I want to be free.
— TheMulticoloredCyr