The Night

by Charlotte2

The brilliant wondrous blue of the sapphire twinkling sky,

The silvery sparkling pleasure of its starry soulful eyes,

The smiling of the man who lives just inside the Moon,

The man whose name is God, the God I'll go to soon.

And so I stand and wait beneath this magic sight,

As the faeries dance and daydream through the clouds in great delight,

A thought flies by my head, and it seems I have to say,

That the darkness of the Night is much brighter than the Day.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:22 am
serendipitous wrote a review...

hi :)
Ummm your poem is rad !
I loved the flow, and the fact that the imagery was so clear and everything was explained so well.

But since it's a spiritual one, I think you could've added why and how you believe so much in your God, like when you said "the god I'll go to soon."

You can expand your poem a bit, because night has a lot many other beautiful things you could've mentioned, all which make the night more beautiful.
But careful not to be very repetitive.
You can add like how there's no other beautiful place but only this, and how this beautiful night really makes you appreciate God. The creator of all beautiful things.
All I wish is that you expand it a little bit more, cus it's an amazing piece.

Charlotte2 says...

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:26 pm
cleverclogs wrote a review...

Hey there! clogs here to review!

I have to say I really enjoyed this. The rhymes were very well executed with the imagery, and the rhythm was mostly smooth. A few things:

These two lines were where the rhythm seemed off to me. The first line doesn't quite have as many syllables as any of the others, and while the extra syllables in the second line compensate for that, it's weird to dive straight into the different syllable count after the other lines, if that makes sense. I almost think you could just clean up the transition by starting a new stanza here, but you could also just take a look at that first line.

A quick note: There were some instances of really subtle alliteration in this that, while not glaringly obvious, were a nice touch. I just wanted to say I thought that was really nicely done.

Next, I want to talk about one of my pet peeves: Italics. It's one of those things that makes me feel like a broken record whenever I say it in reviews, so here goes. Italics are meant for emphasis, so why emphasize the entire poem? To me, it feels like playing an entire song at the loudest possible volume. By doing that, you lose the contrast between the different dynamics, so the effect of the parts that are meant to be emphasized are lost. I assure you that your poem is lovely and can stand on its own without italicizing the entire thing.

I believe you know my opinion on rhyming poetry, and while I can't really complain about the excellently done rhyming in this poem, I'd still like to see what you could do with a free verse poem at some point. :D

Overall, this was really nicely done, and I hope this short review was useful to you! Keep up the great work!

Charlotte2 says...

Hello! Thanks for the review; it was very helpful. I see what you mean about that line, so I'll go back over that. I also get the thing about italics, but that was more of an accident, not really deliberate. Thank you for giving your opinion, it's definitely appreciated.

I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
— Walt Disney