z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Evening

by Laure


The evenings belonged to her and her grandpa.

In the hazy summer of her childhood years, the trees, the palette of colours in the horizon and the low, soothing sound that accompanied the callused strokes on her hand were ingrained in her memory.

As she grew older and brought home clumsily drawn pictures of trees and rectangular houses, only the vacuous silence of an unloved house welcomed her.

So she stood by the tinted windows, watching mutely as the maids, the gardener and the rests bustled about and lied to herself she was not alone.

She called this house ‘on display’.

She called her parents ‘figureheads’.

She called herself ‘evening’.

For it was only in the evening, she had an inkling of true content and happiness as she and her grandpa explored the parks and she remembered the ways her fingers look in the sparkling fountain water, like silver fingerlings her grandpa remarked while chuckling softly. It was a content none like other, like the soft wind that whistled softly through her hair as she soared high into the sky on the creaking swing. Or the lazy summer sun that enveloped them in silken ribbons of gold.

There are no adequate words to describe those feelings.

When pictures evolved into shiny new textbooks that smelt of plastic and graphite, she stepped into a new regime of monotonous routine.

Come home.

Then there was the rapid of sound of spent graphite, erect and firm.

The walk down the ebony sidewalk jutted with black steps.

Bed.

Her eyes wide open as circles and rectangles of passing lights from cars below and longed for the stars and the wild open wind, but those only come twice a week and she valued them even more.

Yet now, the pair would up the winding hill where aged cobblestones crawled with faded graffiti and the great Banyan that stood at the top, with aging dignity. Its aging whiskers beckoned to them with open arms, they exhaled a breath in silent admiration and sat in unison.

“You run too fast, I’m having trouble to catch up to you.” He said in a quiet voice that was both melodious and melancholy.

She turned slowly and the sun’s ray flitted across her hair like fireflies and a slow smile spread across her lips of the supple warmth. Head titled to the sun, she didn’t catch the pools of unshed tears in her companion’s deep-set eyes.

As months slipped into years, grandpa’s hair began to pepper with white. She would spent these evening in the rich musky smell of freshly ground ink, as apprehensive strokes of ink blossomed against the white paper. After, the two would sit out in the balcony, with pots of fragrant flowers and scented herbs around them and a mug of still-hot tea in their hands and she would listen. To the soft yet distant bird songs and his low, timbre voice spinning tales of bygone days.

And whence his voice had dwindled into a soft sigh, the tea would’ve gone cold and sun would’ve sunken low in the evening sky and her spirit too, ceased and faded into disappointment.

It was the last of autumn’s reign, just as the golden leaves turned to bare, skeletal branches when the decision was made just as silent and soft as the remanets of leaves being blown away by the first chill of winter. She stood once again on the balcony that overlooked the asphalt roads and smog coated trees, while the last shy rays of evening light casted ominous shadows of the boxes stacked high behind her.

For the first time in nearly a decade, the evening belonged to her.

The thought lingered with her as she flew above the Indian Ocean with her heart scattering in the roaring tides and her thoughts that remained in the tattered reminds of a smog-coated leaf. But her body carried her over to a foreign land, with a foreign language and a foreign place without grandpa.

“Wut are ou luuking at?” The untinted innocence of childhood voice snapped her out of her train of thoughts, she blinked. Dazzled.

Once

Twice

And realized, she was on a quieten path with dusk-soaked leaves whistling above her and she held, her three year old sister in one hand. Large brown eyes stared up at her in blissful ignorance, she smiled slowly and shook her head and as she bent down and picked up her sister. A ray of muted light flitted across the smooth surface of an emerald jade pendant, the clear handiwork of her grandpa.

“Pwetty sunsit!” Her sister exclaimed in awe, chubby fingers doodling sloppy lines in the air.

She nodded slowly, eyes fleeting a brief moment between the pendant and the evening sky and in that glance. ‘Sometimes,’ she thought with a strange smile, ‘a presence felt is as much as a presence seen.’


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
308 Reviews


Points: 31200
Reviews: 308

Donate
Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:38 am
View Likes
GoldFlame wrote a review...



Hey, Laure! Here as requested.

Okay, first off, you rendered me speechless. Your descriptions; I—wow. They suited the atmosphere, fit like pieces in a jigsaw puzzle, splashed color to the setting. I couldn't read fast enough—not nearly—to satisfy the thirst. My eyes and emotions glazed over, fixed on the screen ... this piece has ensnared my soul.

My favorite description? Gosh, that's a difficult question.

... and his low, timbre voice spinning tales of bygone days.


I think this struck such an impact because of the word choice. You could've just easily gone with "him" instead of his voice. So what this suggests ... he often surprises even himself: he simply parts his lips and slackens his tongue, gives his thoughts free rein. His inner consciousness is left to roam in his memories.

... a quiet voice that was both melodious and melancholy.


And this ... the consonance and assonance. It was pure genius.

But the clauses were fanning across my vision, trapping my gaze. I focused more on their length than their content. They were simply loaded with prepositions and adjectives, to the point that the descriptions detracted from the paragraph-in-question's meaning.

As she grew older and brought home clumsily drawn pictures of trees and rectangular houses, only the vacuous silence of an unloved house welcomed her.


This could be sliced up and reworded, while still establishing variation of sentence structure. Always check for what can be clipped without affecting the meaning, clipped.

I also caught several variations on "smog-coated leaf." I'd advise against recycling descriptions, but that'd make me a filthy hypocrite ;). Just don't put scraps too near each other, and try to transform them as much as you can.

That aside, I can only gush about the pacing. The conclusion was satisfying, and impressed upon the reader a sense of finality. The theme's cliché, I'll admit, but you crafted it into something unique, weaving imagery through the piece. My only other nitpicks concern grammar :D.

clumsily drawn


This should be hyphenated.

For it was only in the evening, she had an inkling of true content and happiness as she and her grandpa explored the parks and she remembered ...


The second "she" is the object, as opposed to the subject, so it should be exchanged for "her." A comma should also be inserted before "and," as "and" is the conjunction connecting the independent clauses. The comma after "evening" is also unnecessary.

There are no adequate words to describe those feelings.


Switched to present tense here. I don't really have anything against it, but as you concluded in past tense, I'd recommend converting it to past as well.

head titled to the sun


I think you meant "tilted" here.

grandpa’s hair


"Grandpa" should be capitalized, as no possessive pronoun precedes it.

After, the two


The "after" should be exchanged for "afterwards."

Quick lesson on dialogue: when a period concludes it, but the period's followed by a speaker tag, then the period should be replaced with a comma. If I was too confusing, this might help.

I also caught some comma splices, but those can be mended with a quick sweep over the piece ;).

Overall, fantastic job. Keep up the good work! :D




Laure says...


Thank you so much!



GoldFlame says...


No problem!



User avatar
221 Reviews


Points: 1476
Reviews: 221

Donate
Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:33 pm
Vivian says...



Great story, it sort of has an uplifting feeling. A lesson can be passed on to one generation that will pass it on to the next, and the poetic notion that her grandfather is still painting her sunsets. :) It's beautiful.




Laure says...


Thank you!m



User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 977
Reviews: 41

Donate
Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:57 pm
Bellator wrote a review...



Oh my, this is beautiful. I was there with her. I felt her brief happiness, her sadness, her longing. I feel like I know her, which is quite an accomplishment in only a page of text. The description was breathtaking. 'Silky ribbons of gold', 'Peppered with white', and 'Dusk soaked leaves' were among my favorite lines. I also quite enjoyed the simple, sharp atmosphere. It made me want to sit on a balcony and drink tea among fragrant flowers. Besides a few word repetitions like 'ink, as apprehensive strokes of ink' I have no complaints. Please, for the good of the human race, keep writing!
-Bellator




Laure says...


I will never stop writing. xD. Thanks for the review!



Bellator says...


No problem! :)



User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:15 am
Iggy wrote a review...



Hey, Laure!

As she grew older and brought home clumsily drawn pictures of trees and too-flat houses,


"Too-flat" is a really weird way to describe the house. I recommend a different adjective.

So she stood by the tinted windows, watching mutely as the maids, the gardener and the rests bustled about and lied to herself she was not, alone.


Weird and random comma at the end? Remove it.

She called this house, ‘on display’.

She called her parents, ‘figureheads’.

She called herself, ‘evening’.


So these commas aren't really needed here. I suggest removing them as well.

For it was only in the evening, she had an inkling of true content and happiness as she and her granpa explored the parks


You forgot the "d" in grandpa.

and she remembered the ways her fingers look in the sparkling fountain water, ‘like silver fingerlings’ her grandpa remarked while chuckling softly.


Since she's remembering her grandpa speaking, and since he's not actually speaking in the present, I suggest you italicize his words instead of putting them into quotation marks.

It was a content none like other, like the soft wind that whistled softly through her hair as she soared high into the sky.


Be sure to explain how she is flying. Is she actually, literally flying? Or is she on a swing and feeling like she is flying? Or maybe she just overall feels like she's too light for gravity to hold her down and she's soaring?


Okay, so first off, gorgeous imagery. Like, that was the best thing about your story. The details were presented in a nice and orderly way, and they were worded so nicely that they painted pictures and invoked images and feelings in my mind. They helped the reader connect and become enthralled into the story, so that's a good thing. This entire thing was very well-written. :)

But I'm afraid the overall point of the story was lost on me. Where is she? Is she reminiscing about days with her grandpa? Because you have her at a house, then aging with her grandpa, and now on a path with her sister. I can't tell what age she was at and what age she's now at, so the time skip is lost on me. I assume her grandpa has passed on and she is remembering him fondly as her sister plays and cuddles her, but how long ago was her grandpa alive? That's something you could do better with, to explain- no, show us the time skip. As in, show us how the girl grew up and is now a lot older than she was, or if she even grew at all.

Other than that, the bond between child and grandfather was evident, strong, and well conveyed through the story. Now I miss my grandpa (he's still alive!) so good job with connecting with the reader and making them relate to the story, by making us feel emotion. Overall, this was well-written; beautiful and strong, and a pleasure to read. :) Whether your ending goal was to make the reader appreciate the time they have with their grandfather or not, it was still effective, so there's something else you can take credit for. ;)




Laure says...


It was actually because the girl had moved overseas, and the too flat houses were kinder drawings, then the books and graphites indicated primary school but I guess the time skip was a bit confusing, thank you Iggy. I will take these into consideration.



Random avatar

Points: 290
Reviews: 0

Donate
Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:47 pm



I can only say one thing.... marvelous
on a scale of 1-10 i say 10 good job it was so so marvelous




Laure says...


Thank you!


Random avatar


no problem I'm glad I can give you feed back.



User avatar
382 Reviews


Points: 15691
Reviews: 382

Donate
Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:45 am
Dreamy wrote a review...



Hello there!

Dreamy here to review. This is a very beautiful work I've read of yours. This was amazing in every possible way. Literary as well as the content of the story was very deep. After reading this the only thing I felt was that how fresh the memory was.

There is like one typo, this is an amazing piece so let's make it perfect :P

Thereis/are no adequate words to describe those feelings.


That's it. I liked it. And I was able to emphasize, so it's a win! :D

Keep up the good work!

Keep writing!

Cheers! :D




Laure says...


Thanks Dreamy!




i, too, use desk chairs for harm and harm alone
— Omni