z

Young Writers Society

Squills 9/8-9/15/13

Reviews: 0
Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:34 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
Hannah

General Editors
Iggy
ShadowVyper

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Friendly Neighborhood Cow
CowLogic

Literary Reporter
SparkofDoubt

Community Reporter
Sapi

Storybook Report
vacant! -- if interested in applying, PM Hannah

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Quibbles Columnist
skorlir

Social Correspondent
StellaThomas

General Reporters
Cspr
BlackNether12
ArcticMonkey
HomeschooledTeen
AfterTheStorm

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:34 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE GRAMMAR IN YWS
written by HomeschooledTeen < PM: >

Grammar. Grammar. Grammar.

When I signed up to write this article, it got me wondering. What exactly is grammar?

According to The American Heritage College Dictionary, Third Edition grammar is: an English noun resting on page 591 in between the words graminivorous and grammarian.

Or, alternatively:
1(B). The structural relationships in language or in a language
3(B). Writing or speech judged with regard to such a set of rules.

Whether or not you wish to believe it, that is not the entire definition. It took up more than a quarter of the column. That is what the experts have to say on grammar. But, that's a little too technical for me. Here's what I have to say.

Grammar boils down to this: it is a set of rules in word structure and sentence formation that we choose whether or not to follow.

Some of us consciously use grammar. Some of us don't, and that's okay. As writers, we have that freedom. Now, I'm not saying that turning your English paper in with grammar mistakes is acceptable, because it's not. In the world of academics, that’s what teachers are grading on, because that’s what they’re expected to teach you: the rules. But there is a time and place for proper grammar, and it is up to you, as a writer, to decide for yourself when that time and place is.

If you choose to use proper grammar, that's great. If you decide that it's not your style, good for you! But if you decide that grammar isn't your style, then you need to be prepared for criticism from those who think differently. We here on YWS tend to have open minds when it comes to such things, and I think that we are very lucky in that respect. But as much as it hurts me to say this, we aren't going to be on YWS forever. Sooner or later we will have to break out on our own, and we need to be prepared to have our styles and grammar questioned more thoroughly then it is on here.
Those are my thoughts on The Grammar in YWS.

But what did you think? On Monday, I messaged two of my friends here on YWS, who I have previously written reviews for. Upon further examination of their work, I discovered a great difference. One (@Spotswood) strove to use perfect grammar. The other (@Jcsmooth) didn't really seem to care.

Here's what @Spotswood had to say when I attacked interviewed him:

HomeschooledTeen: What does grammar mean to you?

Spotswood: To me, as both a writer and a lover of books, grammar is everything. It is the cement that holds together the book itself. What makes a good book is neither the story, no matter how compelling it may be, nor the mood. Good grammar is what makes a good writer.....Without grammar, a book that may be an amazing story is simply a gumbo of unintelligible words and phrases.....I don't like Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms because it is a good story (as a matter of fact, the story is rather dull), I cherish it because it is one of the most well-written grammatical masterpieces I have ever had the pleasure of reading! To me, on a personal level, grammar is a moveable feast. Once you learn it, you can take it anywhere and apply it.....Grammar is everything. Grammar is the God of literature. Grammar is what holds the world of writing together. Without it, there would be chaos.

HT: Should YWSers use a lot of grammar (why/why not)?

SW: As I've already stated above, grammar is everything, so yes, I believe that good grammar and clear diction are necessary tools to be kept by all YWS writers. I do not know what you mean by "a lot of grammar," however, because grammar itself is one of the few things in life that is black and white. You either have good grammar or horrendous grammar. Someone may be the greatest storyteller of all, but if he lacks grammatical skills and proper diction, he's going to have some trouble. Sometimes writers with great imaginations get so wrapped up in their stories that they forget about grammar.....It happens to the best of us. I think that everyone who calls him or herself a writer should use "a lot" of grammar, or at least as much as he or she can do. I do not mean to sound cynical, but most teens who call themselves writers are not very good. This is mostly a result of lacking good grammatical skills. However, this is easily fixed. As those who are truly passionate about writing grow older, they're [sic] writing improves tremendously. Looking back at my writings at thirteen, I realize how terrible I was in terms of my lacking of proper grammar. That is going to happen to me too most likely in another five years. I will look back and realize that my grammar at this age is lackluster. The only way to improve writing is to habitually practice and exercise using good grammar. In that case, if a member of YWS truly wants to become a writer it is necessary for said individual to practice good grammar habits.

HT: Finally, is there such a thing as too much/too little grammar?

SW: As a Grammar Nazi (heil grammar!), I believe that there is no such thing as too little grammar. There is either good grammar or bad grammar. Grammar cannot be measured in a quantitative fashion.....For me, grammar is the rules that dictate what constitutes a clear, and well-written sentence. While I exercise healthy grammatical practices, I often find myself overusing adjectives and other words to “dress up” my sentences, and I do so rather pretentiously.....Henceforth, there is such a thing as overusing adjectives, but there is no such thing as too much grammar.

@Jcsmooth was of the same basic opinion when I asked him the same questions:

HomeschooledTeen: What does grammar mean to you?

Jcsmooth: Grammar to me, means sentence structure and the completion of sentences. It can include everything from spelling to punctuation. I feel as long as the spelling is correct it will be all right.

HT: Should YWSers use a lot of grammar (why/why not)?

JC: YWSers need to use a lot of grammar in 90% of works. It helps people understand what they are reading better.

HT: Finally, is there such a thing as too much/too little grammar?

JC: There is such a thing of too little or too much grammar, but the line is too fine for me to explain.

However, Jc told me once that punctuation, and by extension grammar, "Really isn't his style." And if you read some of his works, you can tell that they are grammatically atrocious. Regardless of that fact, however, they are still a very good read, and some of them have even made the Spotlight!

Likewise, reading some of Spotswood's works, you can tell that he does "walk his talk," when it comes to grammar. But, he also says that in five years he'll probably be looking back and finding his grammar lacking. Let me tell you something, Spots, I highly doubt that statement, since I have never seen anyone on this site use better grammar than you. And that is saying something.

YWSers and writers in general do indeed need to use some proper grammar. Even if we choose not to use it, or if it's not our style, then we should at least understand and have a very good grasp of it, so that when we deliberately don't use it, people can't say that it was because of ignorance.

Well, we've gotten the opinion of a dictionary, Spotswood, JC, and I've even thrown my two cents worth into the pot. But as for you, reader, don't think that I'm going to let you off the hook. I want your opinion on The Grammar in YWS. Should we use it properly? Should we not? Should it even exist? PM me, or go to the forum in the Squills Fan Club to tell me what you think.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:35 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

YWS CLICKING HABITS

written by Sapi < pm: >

We all go on to the site. We sign in if we haven't already, we take care of any business that may have arisen in our absence, and then we wander around a bit, clicking on our favorite forums, or maybe doing a review or two. We each have different clicking habits, and I investigated those of some random YWSers: what we have in common, and what each of us does differently.

Participants:

I asked 5 questions:
- What do you first click on after signing on to YWS?
- What would you say is your most-clicked tab?
- What do you click on after taking care of any errands?
- What are you least likely to click?
- What is your favorite tab to click?

These were the results:

Spoiler! :
First Clicked
Notifications: 18
Featured Works: 1
Storybooks: 2
People: 2
Forums: 2
Green room: 1
Literary: 2

Not surprisingly, the overwhelming majority answered that they checked notifications first. But, then again, not everybody does. There are a range of other places people go first.

Spoiler! :
Most Clicked
Notifications: 2
People: 7
Storybooks: 7
Green Room: 7
Clubs: 1
Home: 3
Forums: 4
Poetry: 1

In my test group, apparently people click the most on People, Storybooks, and the Green Room. People help them to keep up with friends, pretty much everyone loves Storybooks, and you gotta review to do pretty much anything.

Spoiler! :
First Clicked After Errands
Notifications: 2
People: 2
Poetry: 3
Short Stories: 1
Clubs: 2
Green Room: 3
Forums: 5
Blogs: 1
Statistics: 2
Profile: 3
Featured Works: 1
Chat: 1
Literary: 1

Well...from my results, there isn't really anything in common that most people do after finishing their errands. Different people have different preferences for their leisure.

Spoiler! :
Least Likely To Click
Storybooks: 2
Books: 5
Poetry: 5
Blogs: 11
Green Room: 1
Forums: 1
Short Stories: 3
Chat: 1

A lot of participants said they almost never visited Blogs. Otherwise, Books seems to be the least popular literary section.

Spoiler! :
Favorite Clicks
Notifications: 3
People: 4
Storybooks: 8
Poetry: 5
Settings: 1
Green Room: 1
Forums: 1
Books: 1

And finally, Storybooks won as the most popular tab, followed by poetry and people.

So, there you are! A small study on what people like to click on and when. Most people love storybooks, and frankly, most people had totally different answers.

Bar Graphs courtesy of MathIsFun.com.

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW
written by Aquestioning < PM: >

@OliveDreams has been a member of YWS for a little over three months, and it turns out her hard work around the community has earned her a title of Featured Member. Squills's own retired member @Aquestioning set out to interview her and find what helped her become the newest Featured Member.

Squills: Hey, Olive!

OliveDreams: Hi, Aquestioning!

S: Let's get right to it then. From an ex-featured member to the newest featured member, what does it feel like to be the featured member?

O: It's feels amazing to be the newest featured member! It's nice to know that my YWS activities haven't been unnoticed.

S: So, how long have you been a member of YWS? What are some things that you've done that you have especially felt proud of since joining?

O: I've only been a member since the beginning of June so this was a big shock! I really love being a part of the review days. I think it's such a great way for everyone to have someone take a look at their work. Speaking with experience, it's such a hard thing to put yourself and your writing out there. To have that confidence boost of someone actually taking the time to read and give advice on your work is fantastic.

S: What have you been up to recently that you're extremely proud of, and what do you think contributed to you becoming the featured member?

O: Lately, I loved being the co-captain for the Green Lanterns this August Review Day. It was like one huge family and we sprinted to a victory.

S: That kind of experience really is bonding! So, where do you like to hang around in the depths of this writer site?

O: I like hanging around in the forums & having weird and wonderful conversations in the chat room!

S: Weird and wonderful? That defines some people I know who hang out there. Well, now that we got some information about you on YWS, what do you like to do outside of YWS?

O: I'm a teaching assistant in real life so encouraging kids to love the world of literature and actually using their imaginations is something I adore. I also have my nose stuck in a book more often than is normal.

S: And finally, what do you think, as a featured member and an active member all around, would help others strive to be in your position one day and become the best member they can be?

O: I just think being supportive to all the new writers on this site is so important. Giving someone a splash of belief in themselves and their writing only takes giving the time to actually read their work! Dive into the Green Room!

S: Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to do this Q&A with me!

O: <3

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED RESOURCE ARTICLE
written by SparkOfDoubt < PM: >

Often ignored, the Resources Forums are a treasure trove of wonderful knowledge. Every week, @SparkOfDoubt ventures into the Resource Forums to find articles to feature in Squills.

This week's featured Resource Article is Chapter Lengths in Words and Automatic POV? topic.

This week we wander into the Ask An Expert forum, to find this post by @kayfortnight, where she asks what the readers think of chapter lengths and questions if other writers also have the problem of automatically writing in a certain POV, or point of view. The first reply she receives is given by @Rosey%20Unicorn, who tells kay that chapters vary lengths for her, depending on what project she's working on. She says,

Don't worry about their length while you're writing. Worry about the chapter content.

Right on, Rosey! Kay has gotten several replies to her post, so if you've ever wondered about either of her questions, go ahead and check it out!

Honorable Mentions

Three, no less brilliant, wonderful topics that are so worth a read!

Religious themed story
By @Firsthorseman

Star Ranking System
By @Nate

The Big Book of YWS Codes
By @Lumi

Be sure to check out this article by @kayfortnight and the other articles mentioned! Until next week. *tips her hat*

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:36 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

STORYBOOK UPDATE
written by AfterTheStorm < PM: >

*grabs the microphone* Greetings, all you ladies, gentlemen, boys, girls, and other YWS members who resemble our primate friends! Once again, welcome back to another “Storybook Update” with your host, AfterTheStorm. Take a seat, and enjoy the show! As a note: For the enjoyment and comfort of others, please refrain from smoking, eating, drinking, and exiting this article before the show is over. Thank you, and have a pleasant day here on YWS.

In the Spotlight

Please welcome to the stage this week’s official featured Storybooker, @EloquentDragon! I got a chance to chat with Dragon about Storybooking. Here’s what he had to say:

Squills: When did you become interested in the SB tab?

EloquentDragon: Good question. I have no idea. I wasn’t really involved until recently, after the SB Revolution started up. Before that I think I found it of mild interest, and so joined a few SBs as a relatively new member. … So it wasn’t until @LouisCypher invited me to join one of his projects that I truly started to spend more time there.

S: So what kind of Storybooks do you typically get involved in/start up?

ED: I tend to drift towards things that have action in them. Because action usually means conflict, and conflict is what makes for story. I try to avoid fanfiction SBs (Harry Potter, Mortal Instruments, Twilight, whatever) since things can get hairy. … But really, I enjoy the freedom of unhindered creativity.

S: What's your favorite part of being in a Storybook with other writers?

ED: [Storybooking] is a rather informal format to share your own writing. I enjoy seeing everyone’s own individual style. The communal sharing of ideas lends to a veritable melting pot of creativity. Plus I believe that this is one of the best ways to spark involvement from members, new or old. As long as people can regard everyone else with some patience, tolerance, and civility, the SB forum can service any writer wishing to improve. YWS is specialized. You’ll get a format and quality here that you’ll be hard pressed to find elsewhere. The SB forum deserves more recognition. People should check it out.

Congratulations for stealing the Spotlight, Dragon!

Now moving on to the Storybook in the spotlight, The Assassins of Mortain has landed as my top pick for the week. “The Assassins of Mortain” is led by @Dmytra, and is still accepting applications for characters as of right now. Here’s a little peek about this exciting, dark SB:

What kind of Assassin would you be if you could claim Death to be your Father? Though born of varying backgrounds to flesh and blood humans, the Assassins of Mortain bear the scars of attempted murder and thus belong to Mortain, Death himself…

Along with one unique power, each person [can] see the Mark of Mortain - an indicator on a human who is about to die.

It’s a very promising SB!

I really suggest you drop by @EloquentDragon ’s wall, or check out The Assassins of Mortain!

Fresh from the Press

Started up on August 31st, Lights Over Anzilar is a fairly new SB of “sword, spell, and bravery against all odds.” @Lumi wrote:

Are you new here? Or perhaps you’ve been on this crescent island your entire life. No matter, for each night in Anzilar is unlike the one before, and the predictable nuances of the universe dare to elude our secluded world. Yes, you won’t be living out your dreams here, but I suppose there is a place for everyone, a socket in the sky for every star. With this respect, my friend, welcome to Anzilar.

“Lights Over Anzilar” looks very well thought out, creative, and exciting! Why not run on over to take a peek at this new Storybook?

The Storybookers Say…

I want to hear from you, the Storybooker! Over the past week, I asked random users, “What do you think makes a good Storybook that will catch someone's attention and make them want to join?”

@Thewritersdream quickly replied, “I think good ideas and good PLANNING. Knowing where your story is headed is really important, because sometimes what makes the story uninteresting is that there's no lasting plot, and thus the story can't really continue for that long.”

@LouisCypher said, “I think that's a really subjective question. Personally, there isn't just one thing for me. I like storybooks with intriguing plots, great settings, and the people who are in it also helps -- bonus points if the storybook has a lot of action, however, a storybook doesn't have to meet all of the above requirements for me to join. I will occasionally just say "ah, what the hell" and join one, for no apparent reason. On a broader point, I think the above criteria are why pretty much everyone joins a storybook, but my idea of an intriguing plot is definitely different compared to someone else's. Yay variety! There really is, therefore, no one answer to that, but I do suggest clarity in every storybook. Confusion is not good, therefore having a plot and setting that can be clearly understood is a great plus.”

@VeerenVKS responded, “Well that differs from person to person, but I think it's really the idea of the story book that gets someone. Some people prefer romance, and would love to join a romance storybook, some people like fantasy and would join fantasy storybooks. It's really just the idea.”

@bluewaterlily , a user who doesn’t typically Storybook, said, “I think it's the plot. Probably something unique and bold and out there. Maybe something like a quest or adventure type plot will get attention.”

One more week for SBs has successfully passed, thanks to all those dedicated Storybookers out there! Keep up the great work, and stick around for another “Storybook Update” next Sunday. As always: write on!

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SOCIETY PAGES

written by Stella Thomas < PM: >

Ah, the beginning of September. The air starts to get that nip in it, the leaves start thinking of turning, and YWSers head back to real life.

It’s been a quiet week site-side, but not so much is going on in the real lives of our members. Lots of people have headed back to school, but we’re all jealous of @Deanie, whose school got a brand new building and a bouncy castle! That’s two new buildings, surely? Or how about @Alpha, who has won an amazing scholarship to Dublin’s Fair City? They don’t call Ireland the Land of Saints and Scholars for nothing. They may have lost Seamus Heaney, but maybe another great writer is coming to take his place.

Speaking of moving countries, this is @Demeter’s last week in Finland before she flies off for her grand adventure in England. She’s not the only member of the mod-squad adventuring, as @Lava continues to tell us of her escapades in Philadelphia, including taste-testing cream cheese pretzels!

Lots of people have been finding inspiration, like @Iggy who is very happy with the little children in her childcare class – they fulfill the adorableness quota. Well, good. Meanwhile, @Sachiko has written a fabulous 189 words, overcoming her writers’ block. And she met the amazing Holly Black and gave her a crocheted gift. I can’t decide of whom I’m more jealous…

Love is in the air, with @Alpha and @Iggy planning a wedding, and @PenguinAttack popping the question to another of her girlfriends! I hope the poor girl knows that being attacked by penguins is a tradition at their family’s weddings…

Speaking of tradition, how about breaking it, like @Twit, who has dyed the ends of her hair pink? How scandalous! She says she’s also dyed the fingertips of her right hand… but let’s hope that’s temporary. And she’s headed to Yorkshire- I wonder what the folks in Downton Abbey will make of pink hair?

Remember to get your gossip into me, and Lady S shall share it with the world!

xxx

Lady S

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE UNSUNG GEMS OF THE POETRY FORUMS
written by SparkOfDoubt < PM: >

Join us every week as @SparkOfDoubt goes in search of poetry gems that haven't gotten the spotlight they deserve.

Footprints
By: @Gcracker051595

With the metaphor of the sea and sand flowing through this little poem, you can almost hear the waves crashing in the background. Gcracker weaves the story of how even though two people might be apart for awhile, they'll always come back in the end. Like the poem says, "People always come back to the sea". Gorgeous and nostalgic. The reviewers of this poem all agree that this is quite a lovely little poem.

Lords, Give Me Courage...
By: @Aley

Aley's poem recounts for us the story of someone searching for strength anywhere they can. Finally turning to the gods the narrator has angered, we experience through the characters eyes the fear and pain of being turned away by those you honor and trust most. Aley says in the description that this poem is an experiment, and I think it's succeeded.

Blank Pages
By: @ALittleFallofRain

A celebratory poem, ALittleFall reminds us that there is much in life to celebrate. There's much in life yet to be discovered, much in life that's yet to be said or heard. With the repeating lines "Here's to..." ALittleFall reminds us of all the things we have to look forward too. Go check this one out, and welcome her while you're at it: she just joined!

And that concludes another Unsung Poetry Gems! Join us again next week!

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:37 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

GREEN ROOM GALLERY
written by HomeschooledTeen < PM: >

Well folks, we recently had another High Volume Alert in the Green Room . For those of you who don't know what a High Volume Alert is, the alert happens whenever the Green Room gets far too full. It's our own little version of a severe weather warning.

When an HVA happens, the posting cost goes up to the max.

I laughed when I wrote that. HVA is really close to HIV. In a way, they are similar, I suppose since no one wants them to occur, and when they actually do, bad things happen. Now, HVA is no where near as serious as HIV, but that was my small attempt at humor for today. I know you're laughing, reader, if only at my pathetic attempt.

But anyway, when HVA happens, we all get the little warning signal across our YWS home screens, and the post cost goes up to give us more incentive to clear out the Room. Once the number goes down far enough, HVA ends.

And so ends the narrative section of this article.

Onto the featured Green Room Work!

The current oldest unreviewed work in the Room is a script, Shades: Episode One, Act Three "Super Freaks" written by @RobbieFava, who joined us in June. Admittedly, he hasn't been all that active, but his portfolio is pretty impressive. Check him out. Review his work. Take us one step closer to emptying the Green Room again.

Again, I must give you warning, this story is rated 18+ with every warning. Mature content, violence, language. It seems pretty good, but if such things bother you, then please don't read it.

Now, I need some help from you, reader. I have to admit, I'm running out of things to talk about in my articles. If you have any suggestions, questions, or comments, please post them in the Green Room Gallery Feedback Forum . Or alternatively, the Squills Discussion Forum

Until next week!

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by Hannah < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@SonicRainboom has been around only a few days, but has already posted Dreaming. , a poem about escaping the drudgery that is work. Why not stop by with a review, encourage Sonic to write some reviews of their own, or start up a conversation about a game Sonic loves: MineCraft?

@NinaRowan has already contributed 3 helpful reviews to YWS, but received only two in return on her short story Love can be deadly . Can you bring the score up to be even?

@DarkKnight9 has already done a whopping 9 reviews and is making friends all over, especially with those who can appreciate Batman. If you're interested in poetry and Batman, you might check out DarkKnight9's lastest submission: Serenity .

@yosra joins us from Tunisia and wishes her should would give her more time to relax -- maybe that's why she hasn't had time to review anyone's work yet. She's happy to meet her friends at school, and I'm sure she'd love more YWS friends, too, so stop by her wall with a warm welcome!

@youngandclueless has already made 9 reviews on other members' works, and only has two reviews on their poetry submission The Flame . Why not make that number a bit more even?

@LaughingHyena 's profile is worth it just for the avatar: are you in the mood to see a running hyena? This member's already done 12 reviews and has submitted four different poems. Why not drop a review on their most recent: Disconnected ?

@xDarkHeart27x 's first post on the site was to join the Prompts Contest, and since then they've been hanging out in the writing activities forum a lot, too. With four reviews and the first chapter of a novel submitted, why not hop over to their wall and leave some congratulations on being so active?

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@mckieAsher@Pokemonlover545@stjimmysgirl@shykitty@Variikins@thepalehorse@darkmohammad@Isabella2313@FAHEMA666@Tyler17B@lostthoughts911@Kat1998@thealmightybooface@amberjenkins@Unionfaitlaforce@deMonse@SaraiRayne@CaptainLarenMapstone@42mapleg@SlyBeast@alilala@aubreydesiree@nikki95@buddy886551@DKChris@Apeirophobia@tyrissa18@frankmorley • @Bloodink • @Hgoyal@Voktikriid@aaronfors@shlzargar02@FantasyDay@Flamspur@Evilzombiekitten@yoyo@Grety@tacker@MysticG35@BabyRayne@SJRocky@MaraRobin@MasterLazlo@ZacsAttack@KaydanThayne@alexistaianna@Sandara17@xinerchoo@charmyvora@myetherealstory@maryanne@CRichar866@Merky12@BaileeJo@smush1518@cosplayJ2@GrayLynx@TheTwistedOne@dreameranddoer@paris2485@drjobs2009@MariePompy@AnnaFantasy@Fadeddream7@Sunfunyung@Amni@sabrina36257@Jerryy928@Silencedlamb@flicky23@HipsterHoran@Scenegal102@foxinabox@oluwatobi@charl9tte99

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 9/8
written by: megsug < PM: >

Friends,
we are gathered here today
to celebrate one of life’s greatest moments,
the Link Roundup!

The Knights have found their castle, but it’s in need of great repair. The saddest downfall of their dear castle is the lack of a library. This cannot stand! The Knights have started a contest to begin building a new library. @Hannah tells us of the bounty awaiting those who win.

TEN (10) pieces will be selected for the KotGR Headquarters Library. These ten winners will receive due payment in gold (YWS points) of 5,000 coins, and lasting honor!

But you cannot truly lose this contest! Anyone who enters the contest will get a minimum of three reviews from the Knights. Even if it is not in the Green Room. You have until September 28th to try for the chance to immortalize your scroll in the Knight’s Library. Show them your greatest in the Contest Forum !

It seems America is thinking about invading Syria, wishing to play the world’s police once again. Should the US invade? Should it not? @Stellabeam wishes:

…our country [America] stuck to our isolationist views we held until Theodore Roosevelt and imperialism came along.

Do you agree with @Stellabeam? Do you think America should put its foot down and stop this ridiculousness? Share your opinion in the Serious Discussion and Debate Forum

There’s a new club on the street! Separating the members into two groups, the whole point of the club is to review. For two weeks, one team submits work to be reviewed while the other reviews. The goal is to give each work the team submits at least three reviews. And the About Section tells about the mission:

… to clear out the Green Room, once and for all!

Do you want reviews? Well, you have to give to get. Here’s a great chance to give and get!

If you write fantasy, and you like co-writing, I’ve found the opportunity for you! @IngridClayre is trying to start a Fantasy Writing group. She says:

Our first project will be composing a short story.

If the short story works out, then Ingrid hopes to try a novel. This is a great opportunity to discuss ideas and meet people of similar interests!

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:40 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Three reviews on any piece -- for free!

All you have to do is enter your piece in the Knights of the Green Room Quest for a Library contest, and you're guaranteed three free reviews in addition to the chance to be included in the inaugural submission to our brand-new library. Contest closes September 28th, so get your entries in now!

SushiSashimi333 and GriffinClaw are writing a story.

What goes on in the government labs? Find out in the novel-in-progress, The Pack!
The Pack - Prologue
The Pack- Chapter One
Enjoy!

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:41 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@Dante • @LouisCypher • @VeerenVKS • @megsug • @BlackNether12 • @thewritersdream • @Letiki • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir • @HomeschooledTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @DrStrangelove • @ChocoCookie

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Let the wild rumpus start!
— Maurice Sendak