z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The L Word: 01

by StealTheWorld


.prologue.

—♥—

The first time Shane West had laid eyes on Carter Greene was barely a week after he transferred to her small town of Maybelle as he was strolling through the local mall.

His chestnut hair was perfectly styled and looked absolutely amazing with his tanned skin and dark eyes. He was every hopeless romantic's dream--dashing good looks and an air of confidence around him. His presence practically screamed: I'm hotter than a volcano and I know it. The boy caught eyes wherever he went.

Unfortunately, he wasn't even noticed by the girl with the giant gum bubble hanging out of her mouth.

Carter waited by the gumball machine for Cash to come back. He gave her specific instructions to stay where she was, and to insure that she did as he said, he pointed to the machine filled with colorful balls and gave her a handful of coins.

She was no little girl and she knew it. But just the sight of those things got her giddy and she practically skipped over to do as her brother asked. It started really easily—just pop in a coin and a ball falls out. Eventually, she got sick of the fading flavor of her single piece of gum and decided to try a few more.

By the time she got most of the sugary goodness out of the four pieces of bubblegum in her mouth, her jaw ached and she didn’t want to chew much longer. Taking one large breath, Carter blew and blew until she formed a bubble bigger than her head.

“This is awesome!” she tried to say, but the bubble obstructed her words and turned them into an odd jumble of sounds. She sighed inwardly and went off to find Cash before it popped.

So far, so good, she thought. Many people quickly moved away when they saw the sticky object in her mouth in order to avoid getting stuck to it. Then a man came strolling out of a store and directly into her path.

“Watch it!” he snapped.

Shocked and a bit worried, Carter jumped and halted. The bubble popped with her jerky movements and intake of breath, getting into her hair and all over her face. She tore most of it from her face, allowing her to see and inhale, but it stayed tight in her hair.

“Moron,” he grumbled, shoving her and her sticky face away from him.

“Hey!” a deep voice called. A young man with black hair rushed over, his eyes set into a firm stare. He glowered at the guy who dared to push his sister before turning to Carter.

The dark haired boy inspected the girl with critical eye. “Are you okay?”

“That I am,” Carter nodded, tugging uselessly at the gum. “Hey, Cash? I think I need baby oil or something.”

Her brother didn’t answer as he stared down the man he witnessed moving the girl away from him. “Who are you?”

The man glared back. “Shane West. What’s it to you?”

Cash rolled his eyes and drawled, “Just wanted to know the name of the guy I might have to beat up.”

“Right,” Shane scoffed. He gestured to Carter with a look of disdain. “You better keep a leash on this one before she gets her crap all over someone.”

“It’s gum!” she defended, to the amusement of Cash.

Shane ignored her attempt to correct him and turned to saunter away. The older of the siblings burned holes into his retreating back before looking at his sister. He sighed then and pushed her hands down. “Gosh, Carter. What am I going to do with you?”

He spoke like she was a child instead of her actual age of sixteen. She shrugged. “I wanted to show you this huge bubble I blew. Seriously, Cash, it was bigger than my whole head!”

Her brother laughed and ruffled her dark hair. “That big, huh?”

She nodded vigorously. "It was giant! I can't believe you didn't see it from a mile away!"


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
347 Reviews


Points: 25558
Reviews: 347

Donate
Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:39 pm
OliveDreams wrote a review...



Hi there! Here to represent Team Rouge and this amazing review day! I will provide you with a delightful review sandwich in just a jiffy :)

First things first, the things I liked;

I like the character of Cash. He's exactly what you're looking for if you like romantic/comedies!

I also like the mysteriousness of Shane West even if I'm not crazy about the name.

And now onto constructive criticism;

Definitely confused by the switch of POV. Not going to keep on about it as other people have already noticed it. Just pointing out that if this many people say it then it needs to be changed.

The name Carter isn't very girly. I was confused for a moment as to who was speaking! This maybe be me just being English.

Good luck & keep writing!

Olive <3




User avatar
92 Reviews


Points: 9651
Reviews: 92

Donate
Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:58 am
InfiniteSnowfall wrote a review...



Hi Darkheart!

I like this story, so far. It's a really cutesy romance kinda thing. I'm a huge sucker for romance stories. So, I'm sure I'll like this one. Now, let's get to the review!

So, I'll have to agree with Esther Sylvester about... Pretty much everything.

When the P.O.V. changed from Shane to Carter, it was just thrown in our faces. It was really sudden and unexpected basically. I don't really know how you can properly switch over though. You could do a separator, like Esther mentions. Or maybe you can casually, and a little slower, transition between the two characters.

For example, here's a part of a story written by SereneSimpliciT :

I blink, but nod.

"Uh, yes Sir." I answer.

"Good, now, stay, Armasons, come with me." Kasami says, walking out the door, Cent not far behind him.

Closing the door behind him, I'm now alone with Maggie and her doctor, and outside the room, Kasami sighs.

"That kid is something." Kasami comments as they turn the corner.

"You really don't have anything for me to do, do you?" Cent asks.

Kasami falls silent, coming to a stop, Cent watching him for a moment.

So, here she switches from a first person point of view to sorta third-person point of view. I just wanted to point out how she transitioned from the two perspectives.

And I'll say one more thing. This isn't really a critique, just expressing my opinion. I'm not all that crazy about the main character's names; Shane West and Carter Greene. They sound really, I don't know, movie star-ish? Haha, they fit in with the story though. Don't change it, if you don't want to!

Overall, I like where the story is going! Just a few minor changes (like loosing up a bit on Carter's childishness and the P.O.V.) and bam! A nice comedy romance. I'll be checking back in to read the next chapters, if you post them. :)
Keep up the good work and happy writing!

Yours till the Chocolate Chips,
Snow






I actually got the names from one of those random name generators :) They WILL be changed and given more thought, though. Thanks!



User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 4304
Reviews: 31

Donate
Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:12 am
Sarrasponda wrote a review...



Hello there!

I like how your characters seem pretty interesting right off the bat, good solid characters with, well character. Esther is right though - Carter needs to be more believably older than eight, maybe give her some wit or something to attract a guy like Shane (this is about Carter and Shane right?).

So about the characters, I find Cash's character is a whole lot more matured than the other two, which is probably what you were going for so good job. But then this leaves the story as a romantic tale between a girl who is slightly childish and a boy who is full of it. Interesting, but especially for a romance story the characters need to be likable, since the focus is on them as opposed to, lets say, action where the focus is on the plot and if you don't like a character it doesn't take too much away from the story.

Pretty much, good characters, but since it's a romantic, emotional story more likable traits need to be included because so far the only character I am sensing a connection with is Cash, and he's only a side character (correct me if I'm wrong).

These two sentences I want to point out some things:

'She was no little girl and she knew it. But just the sight of those things got her giddy and she practically skipped over to do as her brother asked.'

- ok so, first sentence: I am not sure where you are going with this. By knowing she is no little girl, are you just pointing out that she has the intelligence of a being capable of understanding age? Or are you suggesting she thinks getting gumballs is childish and she knows she is past childhood? I don't know but I feel like there is a better way to phrase this.

- anyways, next sentence: you say, quoting, 'But just the sight of those things got her giddy'; the words 'things' should, as a rule, almost never be used in writing. It's very vague and not considered very intelligent. How about 'colourful candy balls' or something more descriptive and specific to what you are describing.

Esther already mentioned the whole switching POV as well so I think this review will end here then :P

Ok so good story, romances are always fun, and keep writing!

~ Sarra ~






Thank you! I'll be sure to follow your advice when I edit.

-Dark



User avatar
155 Reviews


Points: 49725
Reviews: 155

Donate
Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:23 pm



Hey Darkheart!

I found your story to be very charming. Your characterizations were cute and I found the bubble gum catastrophe to be totally endearing. Here are some points for you:

First, how old are your characters? I would say that Carter would be around ten to eleven years old. Now, I'm sure this isn't her actual age, but this is the age she *acts*. While the bubble gum thing is cute, you have to be careful not to make your character behave too young for their age. Charmingly naive is different from having the mind of an eight year old, and you should aim for the former. I personally love innocent female characters like Carter, but remember than she does need to act her age to minimum extent for her character to be believable. (What sixteen year old guy wants to date a girl with an eight year old's mind? Kind of creepy)

Second, after paragraph three, you switch from Shane to Carter's point of view (POV). When switching from one point of view to another, you need to alert the reader some how so they don't get confused. This is generally done by inserting a line between the end of one character's POV and the beginning of another character's POV. Like this:

Jack's point of view. He's afraid of shrimp. He decided to avoid going to the shrimp tank at the world's fair and chose to hang out at a fountain instead.

--------------
Anna's point of view. Anna spotted Jack, who looked terribly frightened, as a shrimp had jumped out of the fountain and onto his face.

See the separator? You don't need to do it this way, but do remember that you need to separate POVs somehow.

Over all, good work! I enjoyed this. I love cutesy romance stories, as you can probably tell from my portfolio. Keep up your sense of humor and your characterization.

Esther






Thank you for the constructive criticism! I've been searching for a site that would actually provide me with such instead of just an onslaught of meaningless reviews. I'll fix this up soon!!

-Dark




i am neither a loose leaf nor do i like loose leafs. really, i am a piece of wide-ruled looseleaf paper
— looseleaf