Love can be deadly

by NinaRowan

It had been a long hard day at school for Josh that day. As he was thinking back on his day he realized he hadn't seen Rosalie at all; it was still a good day though, he didn't know why he was so happy, he just was. He was even happier now that the day had finally ended. Josh sighed as he walked in the door. 'Ahh finally home,’ he said out loud with a smile. Even his parents commented on how happy he was. Josh said nothing but smirked as he walked up to his room to put his bag away and get changed. After he had changed his clothes he pulled out his ear phones, lay on his bed and just listened to music for the rest of the afternoon. He started thinking about Rosalie's absence today, it was strange she was never away so now that he was thinking about it he got rather worried. He was contemplating whether or not to ring her now and apologize for what he had said to her last night or to wait till after dinner. His mood had now changed a little but he was still happy. He decided to ring her now but just as he unlocked his phone his parents called him out for dinner.

Josh was sitting at the table getting ready for dinner, waiting for his familt to be ready to eat he decided to send her a quick text, soon after he got a phone call, hoping it was Rosalie he picked up his phone and looked at the screen, an unknown number. Josh stared at the number for awhile trying to figure out who it was, reluctantly he answered it. It was Rosalie's parents. They started explaining to Josh that Rosalie had been in a car crash that morning and that he would never be able to see her again. It took a while for it to sink in that they meant she was dead. He tried to get his head around the news, gone. Forever.

Tears streamed down his face as they told him more. What a way to ruin a good day, he had lost all of his appetite. His parents asked him what had happened and who it was once he had hung up but he said nothing. No reply. Just tears.

He just wanted to climb back into bed and hibernate for a while. Away from everyone. He felt like he had no reason to live anymore, he blamed himself for her death. "If I hadn't said what I did last night during that stupid fight she would still be alive right now." kept running through his head, over and over again. That night he tried to sleep but he just couldn't. He kept thinking about how she could be fine one day and gone the next. He couldn't get very comfortable either, physically or emotionally.

After a while he just gave up, got out of bed and walked into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. "Why, why today... Why did this have to happen to me!? Nothing good ever happens to me, except for her, but now she is gone too and it’s all my fault!" he cried angrily and punched the mirror. Pain shot through his hand and up his arm. A tingling feeling. It felt horrible. He looked down at his hands, there was blood everywhere. The tears were burning his eyes. He couldn't see. He just wanted all this suffering to end. He wanted to end his crappy life. Right there, right now. He washed all the blood off himself and washed his face, he had red puffy eyes from crying so much. It hurt to breath, everything was just so painful. He sighed and walked out into the kitchen and grabbed a pen and paper and started writing a suicide note, he just couldn't take it anymore. Tears splattered onto the paper smudging the writing, but it was still readable. Once he had finished with the note he left it on the bench and slid the door open just enough for him to get out, he slipped out the door into the cold crisp air.

A tiny shiver ran down his spine. Just the thought of what he was about to do terrified him. “No thinking. Just do it,” He said to himself. He sighed again and walked into the shed and found some rope. Very shakily he started tying the rope to his neck. Getting ready for the end. “This is it, no more suffering” he thought. He climbed on a nearby bench and tied the rope to some type of hook on the roof. He jumped but the rope snapped and he fell to the ground hitting his head hard on the ground. Everything went black.

There was a tap running in the kitchen, someone had woken up to get a drink, and saw the note. Josh's dad skimmed through the note to see what it was about, he skipped to the end of it and the words popped straight out at him; Good bye, you won't have to worry about me anymore.. I'll be gone, I love you all and I'm sorry. After he read this the note slipped out of his handslanding on the floor in front of him, shocked he rushed around the house searching for him hoping he hadn't already done something stupid. He looked all over the house and noticed to back door was slightly open he ran out into the yard. Not seeing Josh anywhere he rushed into the shed and found Josh, lying on the ground. Still and silent. He started panicking thinking he was gone. He picked him up and cradled him in his arms, tears rolled down his cheeks, pulling his limp son closer. All of a sudden he felt a shallow breath on his cheek.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:37 am
GoldFlame wrote a review...

Flame here, as promised! Ish :D.

Let me just jot down my first impression:

The pace was absolutely perfect. Detail fused with detail, like pieces of one puzzle, all clutching one frame. The descriptions were also well-crafted. Vivid, subtly incorporated, and yet they left room open for interpretation. And that twist...I could only gush about it all day. So well-executed, so well-done. I should probably cut down my use of the word "well"...

You also balanced out your dialogue with action. I had time to process, to digest, everything that was occurring. And statements like these...

A tiny shiver ran down his spine. Just the thought of what he was about to do terrified him.

I'd just recommend breaking down a few paragraphs, just to increase the pace. You also jump into the story without introducing the characters. Although I suppose that that's acceptable, as no one's capable of developing all their exposition in the first chapter. Just something to keep in mind.

You've already received five thorough reviews, so expect this one to be brief, despite my rantings :D.

I'm the type of reviewer to point out every technical mistake. But here I'll just make some vague suggestions, as I'm afraid of copying off previous reviewers.

You've a fairly solid grip on grammar. Just watch out for comma splices and redundancy. I was a little caught off guard in the beginning by the repetition of the word "day." I'd also recommend cutting down on prepositions and adverbs in some places--shorter clauses look more attractive to readers. But otherwise, great job. Staggeringly realistic and well-written.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to more! :D

Cheetah wrote a review...

Hello NinaRowan, Cheetah here, ready to review your piece!

Well, this was okay, but it could have been a lot better. This story has potential and I look forward to you polishing this up to make that potential shine!

First off, I think this quote should be revised a bit:

"He started thinking about Rosalie's absence today, it was strange she was never away so now that he was thinking about it he got rather worried."

This sentence sounds like two sentences that have run together to form a confusing mass. Try changing it to something like this:

"As he started to think about Rosalie's absence, he realized something strange. She was never away, so now that he was thinking about it he got rather worried."

See how it made two separate sentences? This helps the writing flow better. I would recommend doing that with this quote as well:

"Josh was sitting at the table getting ready for dinner, waiting for his familt to be ready to eat he decided to send her a quick text, soon after he got a phone call, hoping it was Rosalie he picked up his phone and looked at the screen, an unknown number."

It runs together and is way too long, just like the other one, but touch it up a bit and it'll be perfect!

"'Ahh finally home,’ he said out loud with a smile. Even his parents commented on how happy he was."

These two sentences should be separated to make two paragraphs, so the readers don't have to read a solid block of writing.

"Josh was sitting at the table getting ready for dinner, waiting for his familt to be ready to eat"

I believe you meant "family".

Also in this paragraph, Rosaline's parents "explained" that their daughter died. Usually parents are very protective of their children and love them very much, so I would put a more emotional word, rather than just "explained". You may even want to add some dialogue between them to spice things up a little.

Last thing, the ending didn't seem quite the right way to end the chapter. I would go on a little longer after that before you stop.

I wasn't crazy about this, but honestly, like I said, it shows a lot of potential. This could be great!

Good luck and keep writing!

SlushySlapped wrote a review...

Hi there!

SlushySlapped here for a review!

I'm just going to review as I go. All of the suggestions I make are just that. You are the author, dear, therefore you can do whatever you'd like!

This opening kind of puts me off on wanting to read the rest. 'Day' is in there way too much! I know day is a hard word to find a synonym for, but try to figure out a way to word this differently. Also, I feel like the first sentence could be emitted.

'Happy' is another word you've used quite often. There are definitely synonyms for that one!

There are a lot of places where there should be periods instead of commas! Thoughts were finished, yet the sentences continued. Cut them up!

Overall, I didn't really connect with this story. Mostly because I just don't know the characters. I feel like I've read this kind of story many times before, too. Add something in there to set your story apart from other stories like this!

Also, if Rosalie had been in an accident in the morning, wouldn't he have found out about it much sooner?

Anyway, keep working on this! I hope I didn't sound harsh. And if I did, I certainly didn't mean it!

Keep writing, hun!

:D

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:48 am
Lee0z wrote a review...

Hi Nina! I'm here to review!

This story probably happens too quick, problem is, we haven't had enough time to get to know the characters, and therefore don't feel much for them. Maybe if you cut out the section where he's so happy and just have the phone call and what happens after that, and put the ultimate and best description you can think of in throughout that.

Oh wow, this ending is amazing, very good twist to the story. He's not dead? Yay!

Anyway, description, you need more of it? How did the night air feel? Like little pins pricking up goosebumps? What happened when he hit the ground? Was there a sickly crack? What happen when he felt the rope around his neck? Was it itchy? Sorry for the bad examples, but you get the idea.

Overall, you could get the readers more interested in the characters. This was a good idea for someone who was awake at three in the morning.

~ Lee

ChangeTheWorld wrote a review...

Here goes nothing. Hope this helps! :D

As he was thinking back on his day he realized he hadn't seen Rosalie at all; today but it was still a good day, even though he didn't know why he was so happy, he just was.

Woahwoahowoah! This sentence is very long. Slow down a bit. This was a major run-on and should look more like this^^. Saying "today" there is also redundant. It doesn't have to look exactly like the above, that's just a suggestion. But you definitely need at least one sentence break and some transition words.

Josh sighed as he walked in the door. "Ahh, finally home," he said out loud with a smile.

This should look more like this if it's properly structured.

What a way to ruin a good day

Okay so I've got a few bones to pick. First of all this is a total understatement, of course death ruins a lot more than a good day. I also think that the fact that he was still happy despite not seeing or hearing from this girl he is obviously supposed to have feelings for and may or may not be in fight with is all sort of contradictory to the title, being "Love Can be Deadly." He should have seemed like he cared more. I'm also wondering if they were actually together or if he just had crush on her, because depending on their relationship the parents probably wouldn't have been calling him like that when they were grieving and had so many other people to tell first. So if you'd clarify the relationship then that might be more clear.

"If I hadn't of said

I think what you were trying to say was "If I hadn't HAVE..." but that also sounds a little awkward so I would just cut out the "of" and leave it if I were you.

Okay so I feel like the narrator is really back and forth, one minute he's saying he can't live without her and the next he's saying he's "emotionally uncomfortable" which I feel is another understatement.

Why did this have to happen to me!?

At this point it feels a little to early for the self pity. He should still be mourning her just for the loss of her, not being all "woe is me" yet. Just another note is that in order to identify and sympathize with a character we have to get to know them, but I don't feel we got to know Josh or Rosie well enough to feel sorry. She was mentioned once and we didn't get any sense of who she is or the relationship she has with Josh so it's hard to feel sad for him or for her.

The end is very fast. Everything is so sudden I hardly have time to take it in before it's over. Plus his son tried to kill himself, just because he coughed does not make everything alright, there will be long struggles over the grief. There are a lot of grammar mistakes I don't want to individually pick out, but there were commas where there should have been periods and no commas where there should have been commas. A good way to fix that is read it out loud, when you pause put a period, unless it's the same subject of the sentence in which case it's a comma. That's the simplest explanation I have really. It's a fine idea, but I didn't really connect with it. Grammar is huge but I also needed to get the know characters and I didn't really get that. Think about extending it to draw out the suspense and then to add to the beginning, maybe a date or something that can introduce readers to Rosie.

NinaRowan says...

Ooh thank you! Yeah I'll have another read through of it later. This helped a lot thanks so much :D

dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Um...okay, that was...interesting. The biggest thing that stuck out to me (after the second sentence) was the large amount of comma splices. -> You write one sentence, you go on to the next. Example [last sentence]: "All of a sudden he felt a shallow breath on his cheek, pulling his son upright a little, Josh let out a husky cough and that was when he knew that he would be alright." There should be a period, not a comma, between little and Josh.
Now, with the second sentence, you started it "But good,". ??? How does that transition well? He's just had a tough day, 'but good'? What about "Regardless," or "In spite of that,"? Those work much better.
And then when you introduce his girlfriend, it's not until after she's dead and gone [btw, I don't think the cops would call his cell. They'd most likely call his residence, if they called anything. But I don't think they'd call him at all; they'd probably just call the parents and leave it to their discretion]. And you don't tell any of the issues Josh and Rosalie were having until after Josh is blaming himself for her death. My first thought was "Why is he blaming himself for her death? How in the world could he be responsible for a car crash?"
And the whole death thing is kind of abrupt. You don't really give the readers much reason to identify with Josh, and then once there's at least something relatable, it's explained almost like "Oh, I forgot to mention...oh yeah, you need to know this too."
Hope this helps!

NinaRowan says...

Oh okay, I'll keep that in mind.. I sort of rushed this at the time and there was sort of supposed to be a bit before it introducing the girlfriend more and explaining more but yeah I don't really know what happened to that. Yeah, true I see where you're coming from. Thank you! It helped a lot :)

NinaRowan says...

I have edited it a bit and hopefully it's better, If you would like to read it again than it's there but ya know
You don't have to. Hopefully it makes more sense now :)

i, too, use desk chairs for harm and harm alone
— Omni