z

Young Writers Society

Squills 10/19/2016 - 10/30/2016

Reviews: 0
Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:06 pm
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
megsug

General Editors
Gravity
Lavvie

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
Holysocks
Spots available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter
AliceAfternoon

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Resources Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Storybook Reporter

Quibbles Columnist
Lavvie

Writer's World Columnist
Lightsong

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Social Correspondent

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Pruno - Available - PM SquillsBot if interested
Gravity

Code Master

General Reporters

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:08 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW: DRACULA
written by Holysocks < PM: >

Today we bring to you a special interview with YWS’s very own Vampire, @Dracula! She’s also, you know, Featured Member, which I think is almost as cool as being a Vampire! We had a lovely talk and I learnt a fair amount about what it’s like to be a Vampire Featured Member! Here’s the conversation:

Squills: How does it feel to be Featured Member, Dracula?

Dracula: Well, imagine the face of a little kid being handed the world's biggest ice cream by a giant Mickey Mouse at Disneyland. That's what my face looked like when I found out. I'm pretty honoured and delighted.

S: Love the description! XD Do you remember what you were doing when you found out?

D: I think it was the evening when I logged into Yewis, so I was probably laying on my bed reading, you know, winding myself down for sleep. Probably didn't get to sleep for a little while after all the excitement. XD

S: Oh that sounds like a good time to find out! Minus the not sleeping part, haha. What do you think it means to be FM?

D: Well, I think I have to be especially well behaved for the month. Like a Hogwarts prefect? But since it's October, and my username is Dracula, being FM means I can just be Halloween-y, I reckon.

S: Ahaha. Several members have already started decorating their profiles- are you planning on changing your avvie to an even SCARIER avatar? O>O

D: Thanks for mentioning that, I think I am due for an avatar change. But not TOO scary, I don't want to give anyone (or myself) nightmares.

S: I think everyone is dying to know- so I'll go ahead and ask; do vampires get nightmares?? Also do you have any ideas yet what you're going to change it to? Or is that top secret?

D: Daymares. We get daymares. I'm currently looking at Morticia Addams gifs. But that's subject to change.

S: Ohh, interesting. What's your favourite movie that she played in?

D: The Addams Family of course

S: I haven't seen that! I guess it must be good!

D: You ought to google it, and watch the original TV show! It's a must-see.

S: Hmm, maybe I will! I should get back on topic now, haha. Do you have any advice for those who may want to become featured?

D: Well, the reason I was featured was because I wrote so many reviews for revmo. So I suppose you've just got to go above and beyond, and try to get noticed by others. Interact with other users, review like crazy, lose yourself in the forums... anything really.

S: Oh? Just how many reviews did you do for RevMo? (Also, are you sure that's the sole reason? )

D: Seventy-something? I actually can't remember. I initially wanted to get my fifty in as soon as possible, and after that I was just keeping up with the other tortoises. (what, are you suggesting I hypnotised everyone with my vampiric powers?)

S: Oh. My. Goodness. (I'm not saying anything but I think there's more to it than your SEVENTY-SOMETHING reviews in ONE MONTH-- though that is freakishly amazing!!!)

D: Haha, I know. But I was due to write lots of good reviews after a little slump. Revmo was very motivating!

S: Sounds like it! Well, is there anything else you'd like to say to your fans before we end?

D: Thank you for thinking me worthy of this honour (because it is an honour; there's so many other deserving people)!! And I'm especially grateful for being picked in the spooky season.

S: I think I can speak for most mortals by saying thank YOU for being so awesome! ^-^

D: Naw thank you, mortals.

S: Ahaha, have an amazing day, Dracula! It was a lot of fun talking with you!

I hope you enjoyed this creepy interview! I certainly did. I wonder who we’ll get to talk to next? We’ll just have to see! Until then, ba-bye!

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:08 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Green Room Gallery
written by Lightsong < PM: >

Happy Halloween! The ghostly event has transformed these neglected piece to, well, ghosts. Can our knights review them from the Haunted Room?

Einar (First Draft)- Chapter 8 by @haredrier
Promising action and adventure, this fantasy novel is now a vampire. It requires two drops of reviewers' blood to rescue it from its monstrosity mutation. To read the first chapter, click here . This novel doesn't want to be a vampire (it wishes to be a werewolf).

Frost Lark News 9/26/16 by @Sheyren
This novel is marked under General, but the first vibe when I read is humour, so it's a poltergeist. Spreading its mischief, it needs to be exorcised by another mystical reviewer. To read the first edition, click here .

Grandayria: Dawn of Heroes - Chapter 3 by @tigeraye
New in this room, this novel that boasts its fantasy element as well as being a representation of teen fiction is turned into a werewolf. All of these transformations are not just in my head, of course, but it seems to be content with its assigned Halloweeny character. To rescue it, you need Bella - I mean, a very powerful enchantment by a reviewer. To read the first chapter, please click here .

War of Dawn - Chapter 26 by @Costa
One of the veteran novels, it is the epitome of living undead. Yes, it's a zombie, and is wandering around looking for human brains in the Haunted Room. To rescue it and turn it back to a good fantasy novel, you need a scientifically-approved serum, that can only be injected by a reviewer. To read the first chapter, click War of Dawn - Prologue and Chapter 1 .

The Cave - Part Two - Chapter II, Dance Lessons by @JuliasSneezer
This novel boasts its ability to tickle you in the stomach and cause you to deliver an embarassing roar of laughter, but right now it is the Grim Reaper, intends to kill whoever gets close to it. Two powerful reviewers armed with the knowledge of magical spells can rescue it and turn it back to who it was before. To click the first chapter, read Young Writers Society .

And that's it, folks! Enjoying entering the Haunted Room for the noble mission of turning these guys to their original form. Best of luck, my dear reviewers! :D

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:13 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

This Week’s Link Round Up 10/18
written by megsug < PM: >

They’re back! Four links ready to be clicked!

@Lumi is bringing Cartoon Network’s Fearless Self-expression event to YWS. New challenges will be posted each week to help you express yourself bravely. Here’s the first prompt:

Week One: Press Yourself!

You're full of everything you feel and take in. Press that down and squeeze it into your creative outlet.

You could even win a badge, so go dare to express.

@Elinor wrote an article about overdone evil characters and what not to do. She breaks it into three different types of characters and explains what the character is, why they’re a cliché, and how to avoid said cliché.

As a fantasy writer, the one I struggle with the most is:

“The Emperor of Evil”
The Emperor of Evil; this cliché is quite possibly the most annoying out of everything. These villains usually appear in fantasy stories. They are generally older males, torturing their henchmen just for the sake of it. They often call themselves evil, ruling large empires, which, more often than not, were formally republics. They hunt down the protagonist just for the sake of it, and their main motive usually is taking over the world.

Find out how to avoid it by reading the article!

@Mage is posting some of her art related to works on YWS. I’m really impressed by her latest banner:

Spoiler! :

Check out a ton of other cool things from more banners to character designs! If you like her style, ask for something in her commissions thread !

@Sonder created Dialogue Prompts where users can be inspired by dialogue. The wall is full of quirky quotes to get the creative juices flowing. I like this one quite a bit:

"I'm so tired that I'm seeing things."
"What sort of things? Do you see them too?"

Check the club out for more inspiration!

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:15 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

There are no shameless plugs this week. Send us yours.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:18 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@heather@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @Buggiedude2340• @AdrianMoon • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @DeeDemesne • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Jhinx • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @SkyeWalker@Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria • @KatyaElefant • @Clickduncake • @Elysium • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Hattable@Lucia@donizback • @Falconer • @BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Magestorrow • @Meandbooks • @klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

The very worst use of time is to do very well what need not be done at all.
— Benjamin Tregoe