z

Young Writers Society



i am always writing about stars

by waywardxwanderer


i have been asleep for so very long

so long that night circles about my head

even in the day

and stars leech their melancholy tune into my bones

i cradle this brokenness so gently,

terrified that something will make it whole


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 3296
Reviews: 60

Donate
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:36 am
View Likes
PoetryMisfit wrote a review...



Hi WaywardxWanderer.

I am completely entranced by this piece, the title of which having initially intrigued me because I too admire the stars. I am not used to reviewing poems but I will give this my best shot.

"i have been asleep for so very long."
The idea of the narrator being "asleep for so very long" seems to refer to a passive existence. Merely surviving, not thriving. I interpret this line as the narrator standing still and watching the world around them unfold. This line is very powerful because I think many of us have felt this way at one point or another, myself included.

"and stars leech their melancholy tune into my bones."
This line is my favorite and really intrigues me because I have always considered the moon as the most melancholic of celestial bodies, not the stars. This give me a new perspective on the stars for how they are seen clustered together from our view but in actuality they burn far from each other and may feel lonely as a result. In this line, the narrator seems to compare themselves to the stars in that they too live in the darkness of night even during the day. The narrator can both relate to the stars in this way and maybe find comfort in that similarity too. Sometimes knowing we aren't the only ones struggling internally can be a comfort. We all carry scars from our past experiences and may feel broken as a result but knowing we aren't alone in that feeling is huge. I find immense encouragement in this poem.

I really enjoyed this poem, you words are beautiful, provocative and ethereal, just like the stars. Your poem has an obscure tone in how few words there are, yet speaks volume to the human condition.

Thank you for sharing!

- Poetry Misfit






This is definitely going in the books as one of the best reviews I have ever received. I absolutely love hearing your interpretation of the poem and how it made you feel, because it's so exactly what I was aiming for and I'm overjoyed that I've achieved it!! Thank you so much for the review, I'm grinning (:



PoetryMisfit says...


Thank you so much! I love that feeling too when someone else gets the point I'm trying to convey through my writing. That is golden.



User avatar
355 Reviews


Points: 2099
Reviews: 355

Donate
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:08 pm
View Likes
LadySpark wrote a review...



Wow.

This is phenomenal. Your imagery is so simplistic, but you really hit home with some great phrases that just capture a very specific, clear picture. I kind of just want to go line by line with you because I think each line has it's own voice.

i have been asleep for so very long

Okay, so I feel like changing this to i have been asleep for so long is just a little cleaner? I know it's just removing one word, but it gives the exact same effect and also is a little less superfluous.

so long that night circles about my head

This line is *chef's kiss*. My one critque would be to consider what would change if you changed about to above or even inside.

even in the day

This is the one line I think you could remove (or move within the poem) from the poem to make it a little stronger. You already subliminally communicated this without having to spell it out for us. Alternatively, if you don't want to remove it completely, I feel like you could you move it to being after and stars leech their melancholy tune into my bones and it have a stronger effect.

and the stars leech their melancholy tune into my bones

This line is really what does it for me. Sosososo good.

i cradle this brokenness so gently,

i like this imagery, but i feel like it could be stronger. Perhaps as more of an expansion of the previous line, instead of a new image entirely.

terrified that something will make it whole

I really liked this line, because it puts into words a very real feeling that people who are hurt and isolated feel. The fear that someone will come along and be able to heal or shift those broken pieces is terrifying because to some degree, that's all that person has.

Anyway, I just really enjoyed this poem. It's incredible. Nice work. :)

P.S. This is my first review since.... 2014? 2015? So sorry if I'm a lil rusty, I just had to comment because of how much I loved it.

xoxo,
LadySpark






thanks so much for the review!! (:



User avatar


Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:09 pm
View Likes
SpaceDude says...



You're poem says so much and carries a lot of weight with so few words. Its very well written, and I love the line "stars leech their melancholy tune into my bones". I cant help but feel like I can relate to the poem.

Overall Its a great poem.






Thanks so much for commenting (:



User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 193
Reviews: 49

Donate
Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:40 pm
View Likes
TheWordsOfWolf wrote a review...



hello, this is such a sweet little poem you have here. It says a lot in only six lines.
I realize, that sometimes shorter is better however I do think that here you could do a bit of expanding even adding just a few more lines, a bit more explanation, and description.
The title of your poem is what first drew me in a and I could spend way too long just trying to analyze that. I think this is something that @WrenZorya would like to read.
I absolutely adore your last two lines. "I cradle this brokenness so gently, terrified that something will make it whole" Its so powerful, so quick to get its point across and just as quickly it ends leaving you a little shell shocked with a lot to think about.
Over all your poem is beautiful. Keep it up. Take what you find helpful and ignore the rest.

as always,
Wolf






Thanks so much mate !!



User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 39
Reviews: 28

Donate
Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:38 pm
View Likes
averyismediocre wrote a review...



Hi! Just dropping in for a bit of a review. So first of all, I think this poem is so lovely. I love your diction and the way you describe things. I can't necessarily name a favorite part of the poem because I genuinely think it's all very nice. I liked your last two lines. I think the implied meaning is the most interesting part of the poem. From how I read it (obviously please correct me if I'm wrong), you scared of feeling whole again out of fear that you'll break again. I thought that was very neat. Also the 4th line was such an interesting line. I love the way you described that scene. The diction in it really sets the tone for the end of the poem. Overall, I think you did an amazing job, and I can't wait to see other things from you!

-Avery






Thanks so much for the review!! I intended it to signify a fear of being whole because you don't really know who you'd be without it/believe that your art is better for it, but your interpretation is also perfectly valid! Art is subjective



User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 187
Reviews: 83

Donate
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:52 am
View Likes
AriesBookworm wrote a review...



i have been asleep for so very long

so long that night circles about my head


I don't know what meaning you gave the poem, but I see a person who's had a long night's sleep after something traumatic happened to them. They haven't been able to sleep in days when they finally are able to get some sleep, they wake up feeling as though they've slept forever.



even in the day

and stars leech their melancholy tune into my bones

i cradle this brokenness so gently,

terrified that something will make it whole


They don't want to think about the traumatic thing that happened to them. They get flashbacks and try to suppress their own memories.

Overall: Good job!






Thanks for the review! It's always so interesting to see others' interpretations of my poems (:



User avatar
672 Reviews


Points: 81482
Reviews: 672

Donate
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:30 am
View Likes
Plume wrote a review...



Hey there! Plume here, with a review!!

I really loved this poem. First of all, your description of the work is so relatable. I too have written several poems in my notes app ^-^ I also think the slow rhythm of the poem almost felt like a lullaby, and it was comforting in a slightly sad but deep way. It felt like being submerged in water in the nighttime and watching light blur. Really nice work!

One thing I loved about this was just how simple but still so deep it was. In just six lines, you've managed to convey this really special feeling. I think your take on brokenness was super unique; what stood out to me the most was the last line. That powerful word "terrified" combined with the fact that the narrator is terrified of wholeness in stars is just so beautiful and poetic and unique. It was something I'd never seen done before, and that subverting of expectations is one of the things I liked the most about this. Relishing in the melancholy of the stars is also a beautiful image, too. I just think the environment you created in this poem was super lovely.

In terms of your actual physical poetic elements, I really loved the assonance of bones and whole. It was almost like a slant rhyme, and it added some nice sound work to your poem. That bit of slight anadiplosis between the first and second lines was a nice bit of rhythm building. The one thing I would say is that in terms of flow, I thought the line "even in the day" was a bit short compared to the rest of your lines, and rather than serving as nice contrast in the poem, it just felt like it disrupted the flow.

Overall: nice work!! I loved the overall feel of the poem and the uniqueness you brought to the thoughts in the last lines. I hope to read more of your poetry on this site soon! Until next time!!






Thank you for the review! I'm grinning (:



User avatar
969 Reviews


Points: 126
Reviews: 969

Donate
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:35 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



This was short,but it was nice to read.I liked it.I believe that this poem is about someone who is troubled and anxious,yet,they don’t want help,because their loneliness inspires their creativity.If they were to have help,they’d have no creativity.This is what our narrator fears.Losing their spark.Becoming so alone that even their thoughts couldn’t keep them company.Lovely poem.I hope you have a nice day/night.






Thanks so much!!




I say Wolf, for all wolves are not of the same sort; there is one kind with an amenable disposition – neither noisy, nor hateful, nor angry, but tame, obliging and gentle, following the young maids in the streets, even into their homes. Alas! Who does not know that these gentle wolves are of all such creatures the most dangerous!
— Charles Perrault