Home » Literary works » Poetry » Other

word search poem

by starlitmind

Instructions: There are seven words in this word search, ranging from three to eight letters. I realize that a word search is pretty difficult if you don't know what you're looking for, so I'll include the words in a comment below in alphabetical order if you would like to have a word bank. You don't have to use it, although that would be pretty hard xD. Once you find all seven words, arrange them to form a poem! :D

Draculus wrote a review...

When you don't count drowning becomes easier.

Dear Author...
Who are you, so wise in the ways of LIFE?..
I honstly love when people touch topics like this one. Life and Death, the simplicity of both.
So thank you for a quote I'll hardly ever forget!

Sincerely yours,
Drak.

P.S. The format is very interesting, but it seems like all the fun gets lost as soons as you tell people what they should be looking for, but there's no another option *shrug*

starlitmind says...

Aw, thank you so much for the kind words! <3
Yup, you got it! I actually had in my mind "drowning becomes easier when you don't count" but it's basically the same thing haha cx
Yeah, I do agree, but it's hard to find words when you don't know what you're looking for.

Draculus says...

Maybe the riddle should be done in a special way so that it doesn't have any other words than the ones of your poem? It could be pretty hard to do, but still?..

starlitmind says...

Ooh, that%u2019s an interesting thought. I%u2019ll look into it - thank you! :D

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:39 pm
whatchamacallit wrote a review...

Hey Starlit! I'm gonna try to give you a review on this clever poem - I think it's mostly going to be suggestions on what you could do differently/stuff you could experiment with if you were to make another poem like this, so don't feel like you need to alter this poem specifically if you don't want to.

First of all, I already said this, but this is such a clever, original idea! I love all of your experiments with form and structure but this is definitely one of the most out there.

-> The first thing I'll mention is the title. Obviously you're letting the green-room-skimmer know what type of poetry this is, totally get that, but I think it'd be neat if you could give it a title actually related to the content and stick the current title in with the description. If you wanted to get even wackier with the title, you could consider scrambling the words around or something, to tie into the fact that the poem is, well, a word search.

-> Next, the general impression/aesthetic. I totally love the font you chose, it's got a sort of type-writer feel I really love. If you were looking to experiment, though, you could maybe see if you could find a more desperate font that echoes the negative tone of the poem. Maybe a font with tall and skinny letters, or a jagged sort of Halloween-y font, totally up to you. Again, you definitely don't need to change this, just if you are looking for things to play around with.

Along the same lines, maybe you could play around with font colour? You could use a blue font for everything, or have the left column start at a light-ish blue and darken until the right-most column is totally black, or the same thing from top to bottom or corner to corner. OR, you could make the background a dark blue and have the letter white, OR even play around with the thickness of the letters (starting skinny and growing bolder) (OR even the slant - starting upright and gradually leaning over). Some of those things might take a lot of work to edit, though, so I understand why you might not want to do that.

-> This is more about the structure of the poem - you could consider having the words start at the top left corner and move down to the bottom right corner, in the order they work as a poem (or just generally starting at the top and moving down to the bottom).

-> Content-wise, I have nothing I would critique about the message - I think (as I said in my comment) it's really impressive how much you fit into seven words! It works on its own as a sort of haunting concept, regardless of the fancy formatting, which I always think is really important - if you have a poem with complicated formatting, it's always good to think, does the content work on its own? or does it fall apart if I format it normally? I generally think formatting can add really neatly to a poem, but it shouldn't be the be all end all. (I'm sure there are exceptions to this, and this is just my own personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt!)

You could maybe add some extra words for mood, like "tide" or "waves" or "suffocate", but not include them in the word bank, so the reader knows they aren't part of the actual message - that might get confusing though, so definitely just an idea.

Overall, I think this is SUCH a cool poem. I love word searches, (and I love poetry, obviously) so searching for words that combine into a poem is beyond cool. This whole review basically was just suggestions about stuff to play around with, and absolutely no pressure to actually do any of it! I hope you find this useful!

whatcha

starlitmind says...

Woah, I was honestly wondering how people would review this, but of course you could do it incredibly well xD
I love all of your suggestions! They're so clever, and I'm definitely going to try them out. Like your other reviews, you always mention things that never have crossed my mind before. This is incredibly helpful, and I'm going to experiment with every single point; they're all very clever.
Thanks for the review and kind words, whatcha! <3 You've given me so many things to play with. I really appreciate it!! <33

Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:58 pm
Liberty says...

I got all the words + made the sentence and I am so proud of myself. ^^ But ahh this is a genius idea I love it so much.

starlitmind says...

Yay, go you!! c: I'm proud of you too! xD Thank you so much, Lib! <333

Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:23 pm
whatchamacallit says...

Oh this is so clever! <3 And you manage to pack a lot of punch into seven little words!

starlitmind says...

Thank you so much, whatcha!! <333

Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:20 pm
starlitmind says...

Here's the word bank! :D

becomes

count

dont

drowning

easier

when

you

DavidFoxx says...

Of course I clicked to the Spoiler tag first :D
This poem was an awesome idea, I love it <3

starlitmind says...

Aw c: Thank you so much, DavidFoxx!! <3 <3

People say I love you all the time - when they say, ‘take an umbrella, it’s raining,’ or ‘hurry back,’ or even ‘watch out, you’ll break your neck.’ There are hundreds of ways of wording it - you just have to listen for it, my dear.
— John Patrick, The Curious Savage